Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Canada261 reviews
It is a good job
Typical government agency. You need to have patience and be self driven. It is OK and provides a good life / work balance. I would recommend it and I do miss it.
Typical work day
Fast paced, demanding position.I have to be able manage multiple priorities at once. I review the Executive Directors email and calendar all day. I have created a processes manual to assist staff with government processes.
Working with inmates isn’t for everyone . It can be a hard and stressful job but once you get experience it becomes easy . Good pay and opportunity . Good stepping stone to other law enforcement jobs .

Cons : shift work . Can be negative work culture .
Productive and fun place with Table Tennis and Exercise room
We ere responsible for services including registries, land titles, consumer protection and the Alberta Queen's Printer. Performed migrations and got recognition certificate on critical migration done timely and successfully.
I'd return in a heartbeat.
I learned about all three levels of government and their purviews, about stakeholders and lobbyists, and that the government is here to help Albertans so no one should be afraid to call or write in with comments or questions.
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the dedicated staff in the Departments and Ministers' Offices.
Overall I was happy and had been recognized my professionalism, effectiveness and productivity during my work experience with the government.
My last job position, I would rate my working experience with government average. The management displayed favoritism and unfairly hired favorite candidate. The working environment became so unbearable and the culture was sometime unacceptable, a reason why I retired early.
Overall my 35 years with the government was fair and would say the management recognized my productivity, professionalism and dedication.
fun place to work for
nice place, fast paced, lot of learning to do. Had fun at work. Had a good supervisor and was very patiently teaching me how to do things. overall it was good
Busy yet relaxed job with lots of interactions with people
Everyday came with a new task. Planting and maintenance were always needed so there were no slow days. Worked mostly outside which was nice for the summer. Coworkers quickly became friends and were easy to work with. Supervisor was approachable and made the more boring weeks fun and exciting.
Unique Job Opportunity
My position as the Booking and Tour Guide Co-ordinator was full of unique days. Everything from preparing for a regular business meeting to a formal 4-course dinner attended by Royalty.
good place to acquire experience
You are well treated. Well paid and the hours are fair. They care about the work and family life balance. I would recommend the government as it has great benefits and pension.
Had to comply with the request of the company.
The company was moving, so we had to make sure all the files were in order and ready to be shipped to the new location. Had to locate missing files from staff
Job variety is a fast paced environment
Work that changes constantly and fast paced keep you busy and never bored. The best part of the job is a chance to learn new things and develop your skills.
Not fun working place
My work place was stressful with a lot of problems. Depending on the position and the location the experience may be different. Remote localities come with their load of management problems.
Excellent employer
The GOA is an excellent employer who spend time ensuring all social workers and employees are trained and ready to manage the complex and busy work that happens every day. The job is rewarding and quite fulfilling.
Child and Youth Care Worker
You can only be hired as casual. Movement is almost non existent unless a salary employee resigns. Very last minute calls/texts asking if you can come in and work. Some Salary employees are clicky among themselves, often shrugging off casuals/ having attitude. 4 supervisors usually on days. You need to always be available to work or else supervisors start having casuals who are their first picks for shifts. Meals provided which is awesome. Salary full time night shift employee is a very nice lady. Very honest and upfront will always try to help casuals.
Pros
Free meals, good pay differential
Cons
Few select toxic salary employees
Great for entry into the work force
The job is very busy, but not in the field I wish to be in. There is too much absenteeism by other staff. I wish to attain a position back in the accounting field, where I am valued and everyone at work follows the same rules.
Best job in the world
Firefighting in Alberta is a sweet gig, especially for students. Accommodations are comfortable, food and laundry facilities are provided, as is a gym. Co-workers are generally fun loving, interesting and often surprisingly well educated. Pay is very good for what it is. Work goes from nothing to do to 200 mph very quickly.

However - no real longterm prospects. Quite difficult and uncertain with respect to moving into a full time position. Only work 7-8 months of the year. Union is under attack by current provincial government.
Good job
Workplace culture could be a bit more inclusive and team oriented, but wages and benefits are good. Not as much job security as I would have expected. Good work/life balance.
Pros
Good wages and benefits
Cons
Lower than expected job security
Productive and Nice Workplace
For the past two months working with the Children's Ministry, I have learned a lot of things in that office. I'm so happy that I started with them. They're very supportive for the new employee like me.
Productive work place
Interviewed well because I had the education and experience looked for the role. The pay was fair and Job was challenging. People were excellent to work with. I was given the opportunity to build a program. I retired and did not quit.
Fast paced and challenging work environment.
It was a fast paced and challenging environment. I learned new skills everyday. Great team environment, wonderful direct supervisor. One needed to be very flexible and positive in all aspects for this position.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.