Government Of Alberta

Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

With Government for several years. Edmonton was great experience and work culture. Very supportive management. Worked both in Northern and Southern Region of Province. Southern Province nothing but headaches, management full of bullies, negative work place, very clicky, and shoulder tapping is big if you want growth. Northern Region can't speak nothing but positive, South negative and they need new individuals to change the work culture from top down. Not supportive of work life balance. I would go back North for GOA any day. South - specifically Medicine Hat to Lethbridge and to Calgary - Needs change in Management!
Pros
good paid and benifits
Cons
clicky, unhealthy workplace culture, not support of work life balance
If you enjoy unrealistic goals, ridiculous to nonexistent timelines with a partisan focus, the GOA is the place for you. Your co-workers would likely be some of the best humans around but the higher one goes, the less likely this is to be true. Not all their fault, the elected officials create an atmosphere of fear, mistrust and anxiety.
Pros
Smart, altruistic co-workers
Cons
Unreasonable, uninformed demands which creates a special kind of anxiety that reverberates from the top down.
Great place for teamwork. Also had a lot of opportunity for personal input and control over decisions related to the functions for which I was responsible. Nice place for a pre-retirement job!!
Pros
Flex time in working hours.
Cons
Multiple levels of overview on technical and other issues with political implications!
Order in Council appointment. Irregular work. No real direction provided as it is a neutral independent role.Hiring by the Alberta government is a phantom process as they post approximately 8 to 10 times more jobs than are actually ever filled. True story. if you add up the numbers of jobs posted on the Alberta government website and compare them with the annual number of jobs that are declared "filled", you will see that this is the case. It seems like jobs are posted then taken down and then posted and taken down repeatedly. At least this keeps someone in the HR department employed...lol!
Pros
Clothing allowance
Cons
Irregular and erratic hours no overtime
Very busy environment doing a lot of data entry every day throughout the day. Work independently, must be a self starter and motivated during the day to get data into the system or filing Writs.
Pros
Great people at the workplace
Cons
Data entry all day long
Really enjoyed working with Government. Very friendly And helpful people. One has to demonstrate agility to be successful in such organization.Great benefits and opportunity of growth and development.
My Supervisor and my team members I can not say enough good things about. They were the reason I stayed as long as I did. The job is extremely stressful, and the training is really inadequate. Your team and Supervisor is too busy to properly train you so you are thrown into a very demanding job nearly blind. There is little to no support from upper management and the interview process is a joke. They rate you on a point system and your performance has no bearing, so if you don't interview well then you are pretty much out of luck for any advancement or permanent position. Pay is on the low scale for the work that you do, you feel under valued and under payed in this job.
Pros
Some Supervisors are fantastic
Cons
stressful
Work environment is worse than a high school. Career advancement is virtually non-existent without being "friends" or "one of the boys" with management - Regardless of your education or qualifications. If you are not good at your job you will get shuffled around from place to place until you either quit or management finds a place where they can "hide" you and you will work there until you quit or retire. Union Representation is virtually non-existent and AUPE will do almost nothing to help you out when you need them. Staff do not follow Standard Operating Procedures Routinely, interpersonal relationships, drug use, alcoholism run rampant. No accountability anywhere as management is constantly trying to get higher management positions and no one wants to ruffle feathers and create investigations or paperwork. One of the most appalling work environments you will ever encounter.
Working at the Government of Alberta is an amazing job/career opportunity. The salary and benefits are top notch, job security so long as you are permanent is excellent, and there is a strong emphasis on work-life balance. I found the people I worked with at the Government of Alberta extremely friendly, helpful, and collaborative. The culture of the workplace is fast-paced and collaborative. Overall, an excellent place to work, and a place I would recommend to anyone. Only downside is it's extremely difficult to get into, particularly at the moment given the Kenney United Conservative Party Government and all of the cuts occuring to the public secotr. I worked there in 2017, and unfortunately while I was laid off (I was temporary full-time), the job was without a doubt, one of my favorites I've held. Great training and development opportunitites as well, and incredible advancement opportunities within.
Pros
Salary/Benefits, Job Security, Advancement Opportunities, Great culture, Amazing training and development opportunities
Cons
Very difficult to get into, Can be bureaucratic with processes
Very stressful work environment. Going though lots of restructuring however there is benefit of serving Albertan. Lots of opportunity to move around the organization.
Leadership within some Ministries (Environment and Parks as one example) is very poor. If you are not a "lifer" or politically connected you will be the subject of harassment and abuse. Working endless hours is expected and yet not acknowledged financially or through performance reviews. The culture is reactive and hostile. Harassment occurs frequently, is tolerated, and is enabled. It is not a culture that respects diversity, inclusion or innovation. The environment will be a step-back in your career and should be avoided if you have other opportunities.
Typical government agency. You need to have patience and be self driven. It is OK and provides a good life / work balance. I would recommend it and I do miss it.
Fast paced, demanding position.I have to be able manage multiple priorities at once. I review the Executive Directors email and calendar all day. I have created a processes manual to assist staff with government processes.
Working with inmates isn’t for everyone . It can be a hard and stressful job but once you get experience it becomes easy . Good pay and opportunity . Good stepping stone to other law enforcement jobs . Cons : shift work . Can be negative work culture .
We ere responsible for services including registries, land titles, consumer protection and the Alberta Queen's Printer. Performed migrations and got recognition certificate on critical migration done timely and successfully.
I learned about all three levels of government and their purviews, about stakeholders and lobbyists, and that the government is here to help Albertans so no one should be afraid to call or write in with comments or questions. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the dedicated staff in the Departments and Ministers' Offices.
My last job position, I would rate my working experience with government average. The management displayed favoritism and unfairly hired favorite candidate. The working environment became so unbearable and the culture was sometime unacceptable, a reason why I retired early. Overall my 35 years with the government was fair and would say the management recognized my productivity, professionalism and dedication.
nice place, fast paced, lot of learning to do. Had fun at work. Had a good supervisor and was very patiently teaching me how to do things. overall it was good
Everyday came with a new task. Planting and maintenance were always needed so there were no slow days. Worked mostly outside which was nice for the summer. Coworkers quickly became friends and were easy to work with. Supervisor was approachable and made the more boring weeks fun and exciting.
My position as the Booking and Tour Guide Co-ordinator was full of unique days. Everything from preparing for a regular business meeting to a formal 4-course dinner attended by Royalty.
You are well treated. Well paid and the hours are fair. They care about the work and family life balance. I would recommend the government as it has great benefits and pension.