Government Of Alberta Employee Reviews

Good place
Software Developer Co-op (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 December 2018
Good place to work, I really enjoy it. I would love to work there again if I have a chance and it pays well, pretty slow pace of working and you'll enjoy
Goa
AISH Generalist- Human Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 November 2018
The Government of Alberta is an excellent employer to work for. Especially in Community Services. It is a very busy place to work and your work is never done but you are encouraged to take care of yourself. Great co-workers.
Adapting and controlled
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2018
Hiccups with technology were a problem but through support and patience the job got done. Flexible hours were practical and I intend to apply for their next enumeration team.
Knit and fast
Filing Technician (Former Employee) –  10812-100 Ave., Edmonton, AB.20 November 2018
Filing jobs here gave me a chance of creative features.
I created a new methods of filing to assist all 30 staff filing in a organized systems to accountable situation.
Professional
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Edmoonton, Alberta2 November 2018
My typical day at work consisted of arriving early to prepare for the day's flight.
Management was effective and moved on changes to operations in a timely manner.
I thoroughly enjoyed the air crew I worked with and the passengers.
Pros
Meeting new people and exploring new places.
Cons
Some very long days.
Great Co-workers
IMAGIS Project - PeopleSoft Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2018
I haven't worked for the GOA for several years but met a lot of great people while I was there that I still stay in touch with. I was on the IMAGIS project years ago and found it engaging and fun.
I dont know
Correctional Peace Officer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2018
Good place to work at for the first few years. But eventually gets to you. No advancement, theres only a few positions to go for and over 150 people apply for that 1 spot. Money is good and theres a lot of Overtime.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everyone is on you about little things. A lot of clicks
Mostly good people.
Administrative Assistant 4 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2018
My current role is extremely busy. As the ARTS Lead I need to be able to prioritize and multi task as work load can change in an instant and I have many other responsibilities I need to attend to.
Pros
Cons
overtime with no rewards
just a job
Project Delivery Executive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2018
There is a need for technology revamp and is happening now.
A few succeed in this fast changing culture which is influenced with politics and a select survivors who have mastered the art.
Pros
new technology vision
Cons
political environment
Tough to move around
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2018
One of my biggest complaints about the GOA is that it's very difficult to advance your career and have your voice be heard when you have an issue to deal with. Management can be difficult to deal with.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Fun Place to work
Watercraft Inspector (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2018
The hours are long but you get to read a lot when you are not busy. You get to be outside all day talking to boaters and educating them. The supervisors are helpful and always reachable
Best place to work
Facility and Client Support (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 July 2018
Worked at the Federal building and Government House as client support for meeting and facilities.
Was support for a lot of functions which included VVIPs in attendence
Lots of Change
Public Lands Officer (Current Employee) –  Alberta28 June 2018
Working for the Government of Alberta can be very rewarding but it has challenges as well. Politics influence decisions and change is constant. Government jobs are much different today than they were 30 years ago.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - TEMP (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2018
I enjoyed working there, the other staff were very friendly and nice and the environment was great and i really enjoyed the work i was doing. My supervisor was very nice and encouraging.
Good seasonal job but bureaucracy and incompetence of senior staff makes sticking around a hard thing
Unit Crew Subleader (Current Employee) –  Hinton, AB21 June 2018
Alberta Wildfire is an awesome seasonal job for any student. I enjoyed my time in the crew program! The crew program is awesome and I cannot stress enough how great of an experience it is! The job’s only downfall is the full time staff. The culture of the office is we are good enough and little to nothing changes. This is however starting to change and hopefully the idealistic newcomers don’t get beaten down by the bureaucracy and continue to make the office side of things more efficient.
Working with the government of Alberta
Administrative Assistant (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Westmount Corporate Campus, Calgary, AB20 June 2018
Getting the messages at the fax machine, gathering mails and packages that arrived our office and placing each of these items on the inbox of each personnel. would be the first thing for me to do. A happy attitude with a sweet smile are things to carry on at work. Being mindful of job performance is key to be successful. And I enjoy decorating our social rooms on parties and get-togethers.
Pros
Ice Cream and Specialty desserts
Excellent place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2018
I really enjoyed working here. The people are excellent and the environment was fun. Only problem was how long it took to receive a raise and there wasn't any way to advance in your career.
Pros
Excellent job security and work environment
Cons
no room for advancement
First Class Department
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
This department within the GOA is a great example of "change starts with the leadership". From the top down, initiatives were practiced well before they were preached.
Pros
Good pay. Good hours. Outstanding management.
Cons
None.
Poor Culture
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2018
Human Resources and Labour Relations are two very different working groups. Labour Relations looks down on HR people, even though very few of the LR people have their CPHR designations. Lots of profanity used by LR Consultants, can hardly speak without using F-bombs or "JC".

If you come in from outside of Government there is an expectation that you just know. The culture does not encourage asking questions. Be prepared to be "set up to fail".

Consultants are more interested in gabbing in the hallways than actually doing work.
Pros
Salary and pension
Cons
Very little leadership or direction provided
High volume of stressful work
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
Very busy office with high stressful work in a fast pace environment. Staff work well together and are easy to get along with. There is a lot of training that is provided for new and existing staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Government Of Alberta. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2