Gordon Food Service
Happiness score is 71 out of 100

Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Found 264 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,729 reviews

Productive and Team Oriented Atmosphere

Had a great experience working with this company for several years. The job was typical, maybe slightly above average. Money was very good, incentives paid well. Co workers were amazing, we had a great team that seemed to always kill it every night. Over the years the team changed, many great workers moved on, I eventually left to further my career. I recommend this job to anyone who doesn't mind working hard, but will be rewarded immensely for it.

Pros

Incentive program, formula program is great for selectors

Cons

Some internal promotion seemed to promote those less deserving

22 October 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Gordon Food Service. One of our Cornerstone Values includes Rewards for Performance, we encourage productivity and efficiency, and there are rewards for jobs well done.

Warehouse order picker

This place is a joke. They deserve this bad review I am about to write. This place wastes so much of your time. They make you do a physical demands test with no rest breaks in between. So back plank. Then left leg plank then right leg plant. Then they make you lift 70-90 pound boxes over head and expect you to not struggle. After all that they give you a tour of the plant they know they aren’t hiring you at. They discriminate against women. Funny I was lifting more at my last job but because they give you such a hard physical demands test here good luck. This place wasted my time and I’m sure they do a lot of other people and they discourage people with the whole process. I don’t recommend this to anyone unless your a personal trainer and literally train for a living.

Pros

Cons

Good pay

22 October 2021
Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience and opinion. We regret that you felt this way during the recruitment process with Gordon Food Service. The order selector role is a physical role, which is the main reason we have an extremely robust interview and selection process, including our physical abilities test, to ensure all candidates are aware of the physicality. Gordon Food Service is an equal opportunity employer who strives to provide an inclusive work environment that involves everyone and embraces the diverse talent of its people.

Good job, Excellent pay, Mediocre leadership

As with any job, there can be stress at times, though (mostly) everyone on the floor make for a pleasurable experience.There are some in leadership who should be in selection, and some in selection who should be in leadership.Top tier incentive program drives for continuous improvement day to day.

Pros

Incentive program

29 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience working on the selection floor. We are however very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with the leadership team. Our managers practice servant leadership, which is a philosophy where the main goal of our leaders is to serve their employees. We will therefore take your comments to our warehouse team to review.

Fast paced, really hard work, bad management.

It's a really hard job, they don't give you walkies, they give you pump trucks, on top of it most of the pump trucks are hand me downs, they don't actually work. They don't give you ramps for docks, so if the dock doesn't have one its cool they give you a handcart to break down the whole skid and stack the boxes on the handcart then roll in to the businesses for them. They make you go up and down steps. Majority of the time you are by yourself offloading these 36 footers with one tiny hand cart, full trailer, and really tight schedules. They have you rushing all day you never really get a break but you are allowed 40mins break a day but no one usually uses it because they use that time to catch up to the tight schedule, otherwise you'd be out all day. Pay is good but no where near worth all the work they have you doing, and it says $30 here but you start at $28 and make it to 30 after a year. Also you don't get paid hourly.. you have a set pay depending on the load that you have for the day. The older guys have the good loads at about $340 a day and you will be at like $270 a day or less never more. Also the only way your paid hourly is if your a driver helper or not doing a broadline load which there really isn't much else of other than broadline or rider or van.. rider and Van are short hours. They don't care about you or your family at all, they just care about their product, you express problems your having to them they don't listen. Very weird work culture. One thing they don't mention in the application process is you need to maintain a 98% scan rate on their scanner or -

Pros

4 day work weeks.

Cons

Shifts, equiptment, management

29 June 2021
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that your training was a positive experience. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your time here. During our recruitment process, we ensure that our applicants are aware that our driving positions are physically demanding. We also make sure that our customers have a safe drop off area. We also ensure that all employees are trained how to do their job safely and efficiently. We regret you did not have the absolute best experience here, and we will therefore take your comments to our transportation team to review.Thank you.

Lots of overtime. Will grind you down daily

Everyday Same old thing. They only want you there to pick cases. They preach teamwork but it's all about how much butt you kiss to move up the ranks.

Pros

Close to where i live

Cons

Lots of picking

Great Place to Work!

Fun place to work! Everyone is helpful to each other. Fast paced environment with 10 hours work and some overtime. And the 3 days Off is amazing. A lot of time for family!

Pros

Salary and Benifits. Work Environment!

Cons

Was laid off due to the pandemic.

Great company to work for

Was pleasure working at GFS, environment was great and work load was divided fairly HR team very supportiveI loved all ladies sessions especially the free nutrition program

Nightmare

If I could give a negative I would have, worst place to work. They do not care about the employees and if they can violate your rights they will. They did not follow Covid-19 protocol and if you self-quarantine, you would get laid off. Management is awful and do not support anyone even when you ask help.

Pros

Cons

Too many Cons to list. Here are examples, no work/life balance, manager scream at you instead of talking to you & lots of back stabbing.

29 June 2021
Thank you very much for your comment. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your personal experience and opinion. We regret that you felt this way during your time with us at GFS. As a company, we take pride in our safety practices and measures. Safety is our number one priority and we have been recognized for our COVID response plan and safety measures that have been put into place. Not only do we use contract tracing badges for all employees at our distribution centres, employees also have the opportunity to participate in our COVID-19 rapid testing program.The feedback we have collected and received do not reflect your comments above. Our policies, corrective measures, and disciplinary practices are reflective of an overall safe working environment.We do hope that you have shared specific examples with your direct supervisor prior to leaving, as we are always looking at ways to improve.Again, thank you for your feedback and please do not hesitate to reach out to the Ontario HR team should you wish to discuss further.

Very hostile work environment

Poor administration. The warehouse manager at night shift has serious communication problems. small chances of growth. Very hostile work environment, the office lady mistreats the people of the night shift. It is not a good place to work.

Pros

Payment

Cons

Night shift manager and office staff

Great place to work great amposphere

Been here going on four years now. Fantastic place to work great co-workers management is amazing they treat you really good plenty of over time hours

Pros

Room for advancement

Cons

Long hours in the summer

Don’t recommend

If you want to work your life away with no balance for your home life this jobs for you. Management is brutal they don’t care about you they just want the job done. I did work for this company for a few years and it went downhill after the first year.

Cons

Long hours no personal life

15 July 2021
We take employee appreciation and concerns very seriously and strive to ensure all employees are treated fairly and equitably. We can say with pride that we strive to offer a family-friendly culture and one that rewards for performance. All of the delivery routes are local which allows our drivers to return home daily and drivers work 4 shift minimum. As you can imagine when business demands increase this directly affects the work schedules, overtime is offered on a first come first serve basis within our transportation team. We appreciate your feedback!

Bad work/life balance

They simply don't care if you have a family. They only care about getting the product out. Most family drivers end up in divorce. If you are yes man enough you'll go no where in the company.

Pros

good pay

Cons

no breaks, they will break up your family

Environnement de travail agréable

Une journée typique chez gordon et bien c'est simple tu vas chercher un transpallette pour ta soirée, tu remplis ta vad et tu te connecte sur ton glad. Une fois toute ces étapes de compléter, tu es prêt à commencer ta soirée en récupérant une commande à faire pour tels ou tels clients et ainsi de suite jusqu'à temps qu'il n'y ait plus de commandes pour la soirée. Et puisque à chaque commande c'est des clients et des temps différent, tu as l'occasion de te surpasser et de compléter tes tâches afin d'obtenir un bonus non négligeable en plus de ton taux horaire. Ce qui fait que tu es récompensé selon les efforts supplémentaires que tu as fais. C'est une très bonne façon de valoriser les employés qui ont surpassés les attente de base de la compagnie, ce qui est au final un bon moyen de motiver les employés

Worst Company poor management

They don't listen you if your supervisor is at fault, they don't care about employees, they don't care even if you get hurt at job. The worst if you complain about your supervisor or manager then there's a monopoly in the lower management and they play with employees and top management don't know what's going on.I would say worst Company with unprofessional people.

Pros

Fake Dreams and big drama management

Cons

Highly dangerous work for body and health

15 July 2021
Thank you for your comment and feedback. We do feel that we have the appropriate leadership in place to foster a collaborative work culture. While we won't deny our transportation roles are quite physical, it is certainly not our intention for any employee to feel worn out, or not cared for. We hold a very supportive culture that will assist employees who put in their best efforts. We wish you best of luck in your future endeavors.

Best management i have ever work for.

Best management,they supported me where ever I needed their help,only thing to that place was,not making enough,they hired lots of people that time and no overtime but anyway,I would recommend this place if you like 4×10 and 3 days off.

Pros

Cons

Back to work from injury, light duties are really not light duty.

Above average pay, home every night

Gordon food service is a family company. They have incentives for safety, driving, downtown work, hire on, training, and extra trailer work. They pay weekly. The minimum work is 4 days per week. They have the most outstanding Company Christmas celebration every December for employees in Niagara Falls. Where over 800 People attend. I hope after COVID this will return. Clean brand new 2020 new trucks. Amazing HR department. If you don’t mind lifting everyday. This choosy is A++

Pros

Lunches, Christmas celebration, Bonuses

Cons

Heavy lifting, defective trailers aren't always fixed

29 June 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to provide your review. We’re glad to hear that the employee focused events we run have a lasting impact. We hope to return to in person celebrations once it is safe to do so. Our HR department works tirelessly with employees to ensure a positive experience.Like you highlighted all of the delivery routes are local which allows our drivers to return home daily and the 4 shift minimum makes for a nice schedule. As you mentioned the job is very physical in nature, not only do we have a robust training program so new hires can become acclimated to the role we also have a dedicated Health and Safety Manager and a Wellness team that review trends, injuries and preventative and proactive measures on a regular basisThank you!

Excellent company to work with.

Its is a physically challenging job for the delivery driver. But worth it with how much you make. Excellent management. I would definitely recommend anyone to work here.

Pros

Excellent management, Good pay

Cons

Physically challenging.

Poor Management. Stressful... they people take more than a month for interview. Waste of time. They screw up the people. Don’t care about other people.

29 June 2021
Thank you for your comment. While we strive to ensure a quick and efficient hiring process, there are times when we receive a higher than normal volume of resumes. We also exhibit a thorough recruitment process to ensure the right candidates are placed in the job, and set up for success. In some cases this may extend the length of the recruitment process.We are very sorry to hear that you felt we do not care about our people. We take employee appreciation and concerns very seriously and strive to ensure all employees are treated fairly and equitably. We do appreciate your comments and take them very seriously, and we will be looking into each of them

Exceptional Compnay

I loved my time at GFS. Management is kind, understanding and encourage your growth within the company. GFS is socially aware and helps employees volunteer and support charities close to their heart.

Pros

great culture, and training

Cons

Good place to start out but not to stay!

The co-workers are amazing, the culture is really good, but the supervisors 1/3 are good and 2/3 are bad, be careful. You are a number so beware of the "Hey Buddy/Pal/Big Guy" supervisors. They will try and bully you into taking extra shifts and overtime you do not want. If you help them out they will forget. The training is the best you will get in the industry, other drivers are helpful and encourage you to stick with it

Pros

Overtime available, driver appreciation, good training

Cons

Long shifts, supervisors are sneaky

15 July 2021
Thank you for your review. Our cornerstone values are extremely important to our culture, in particular, Everyone is Important. We believe our future depends on the success of each employee. In an atmosphere of dignity and diversity, our appreciation for each other’s talents and contributions keeps us at our best. We are happy to hear that you had a positive experience with our training program. We are however very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with the leadership team. Our managers practice servant leadership, which is a philosophy where the main goal of our leaders is to serve their employees.

Poor training. Rushed and incomplete

started out ok and slowly spiraled into poor. Bad management, unsupportive team, unrealistic expectations. Money was decent, on a good week. Scraped pennies on a bad one.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

see review

29 June 2021
We appreciate your feedback. We regret that you felt this way during your time with us at GFS. Currently we have a dedicated sales training team that holds regular sessions to ensure our Sales team is at the top of their game. We work tirelessly to ensure that employees have ample opportunities to advance and grow, ensure competitive and fair salaries, as well as well-rounded and effective training.We are sorry that you did not enjoy your time while you were here. We do hope that you have shared specific examples with your direct supervisor or HR representative prior to leaving, as we are always looking at ways to improve.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement