Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Found 165 reviews matching the search See all 1,077 reviews
Do not work here
Formula selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 February 2019
Very good company on paper. Quite the contrary if you are an employee in the warehouse. You are treated as a number, constantly pushed to work harder by increased workloads and decreased times to complete the work. They do not care about people with mental health conditions unless they are forced to by medical documents supported by dr.s that their insurance companies appoint...so your doctors word means nothing. I speak from experience.

I had a panic attack in the warehouse, and all they did was call a cab and ship me off to the hospital alone with nobody with me AT MIDNIGHT. I could barely walk on my own and had to drag myself into the hospital and collapsed at the front desk for 20 minutes or so until someone noticed me. Gfs couldnt even spring for an ambulance or at the very least someone to go with me. When i asked for somone to come with me john mcdonald just laughed at me.

I demanded to speak with the president of the company and all she said to me was "just forgive us". And to take my full short term disability(which i had to fight to get). I wound up havind major severe depression due to this companies treatment of me so i had to take long term disability. 8 months of that while fighting the whole time to get back to work, but in a different role OUTSIDE of the warehouse and they just could not accomodate unless medically forced to. I even applied to a g class driving position that SAID DAY SHIFT AND NIGHT SHIFT to which i am very qualified to do and they ignored my 3 applications completely. I wound up having to find a new job somewhere else due to their horrible
  more... lack of compassion for their employee who now has mental issues stemming from there warehouse.

Very bad company to work for, but on paper their great. As long as their T's are crossed and their I's are dotted they do not care what really goes on in the warehouse.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay
Cons
No life balance, treated like a number, fired if you cant meet their increasing deadlines, horrible shifts, etc.
no life
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC30 January 2019
hard heavy work must be in shape typical day is like a big game of tetrus management is good couple issues work is very physical dont do it if you want to wake up feeling good every morning
Lots of money to be made if you don't plan on moving up
REACH TRUCK OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 January 2019
You are able to make a lot of money during the peak season with overtime whenever you want, but standards never change even though the amount of congestion is constantly increasing. Management has the mentality that they've been there done that and you should be able to do it as well even though they were in your roll 10-15 years prior when the company was a tenth of the size. If you are good at your job, don't look for a promotion as upper management will try to keep you in the same roll to make themselves look good.

For the most part there are great people to work with, but because it has the kill or be killed mentality and everyone is trying to maximize how much they make without concern for other people or there safety.
Pros
Money, company appreciation, benefits
Cons
Middle management, work-life balance
i had fun
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 January 2019
i was in the trucks as a swamper and so i talked to a lot of long term and new drivers, there was not a lot of negative, they have fun and they get paid pretty decent. one of my favorite jobs ive had so far even though it was the definition of a lame temp job
Pros
employees seem happy
Cons
long hours in trucks.
Sweatshop with no rewards
Project Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON19 December 2018
Meh, IDK bro could be better. It's hard to soar with the eagles when you have to work with turkeys. Ah well, C'est la vie, back to the unemployment line.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, nice people working there
Cons
sweatshop & cheap
Custodian
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 December 2018
Job as a custodian was ok at first but sooner or later it will worn you out because they would let you do everything. And sanitarian/custodians have big time back stabbers even the lead hand and managers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Back stabbers
Worst company to work as a AZ driver
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 December 2018
One of the worst company to work as AZ driver very long wait to complete hiring process and they will waste your 15 days and tell you to not to hire right now because of they say the recieve many applications,very disrespectful behaviour of staff.these guys should stop playing with people and stop wasting their time.they do not give overtime or something just 30.40 hours a week.i will recommend not to waste your time with these worst company there are 100s of transport company that pay good and enough hours.
Slavery's
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2018
Do you love being a slave and physically demolish, not cared about, getting looked down upon as a worm well then by all means please apply and work here and have your life exhausted by some company
Cons
Company with huge potential lead by micro managers
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 November 2018
No matter what you do or how you do it you only hear about how you could have done it better and not in a constructive way. Not to say I need constant praise but some would have been nice.

Management is currently big on micro management and it is rare that they let people try doing things their own way.

There are a lot of good people that work at the Winnipeg division but it had been an extremely stressful work environment for the last year or so while I was employed there.

The most enjoyable part of working for the company was my peers and the benefits.
Pros
Performance based pay is a good incentive and their benefits program is second to none.
Cons
Micro managed and poor work life balance
Fun
Receiving Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2018
Another great company the staff i worked with were very great people had lots of laughs very rewarding company and lots of oppurtunities to advance thank you
poor workplace
Swamper/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 November 2018
worked 6 days a week 12-15 hour days cause they are always short people. disrectful employees and coworkers. very poorly managed. always late pay. wasn’t good at all
Waste of Time
DSR (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC27 October 2018
This company is horrible, I had the worst training experience ever.
I reached out to the supervisor and upper management - to help
me with my training - no help instead they stuck me with a trainer
that would yell and scream at me all day - I was never late for a shift
and did not deserve to be let go - Awesome , - way to go
Abbotsford team. I would not recommend joining that team - good luck - what a waste of my time - no breaks non stop running all day - unsafe work practices and the list goes on - stay away!
horrible route planning -
Pros
Cons
to many to list
Driven Leadership
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC24 October 2018
Highly driven leadership. Results focused company. Passionate about the food service industry and customer service excellence. Constantly evolving to meet customer and industry needs.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Great Culture!
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 October 2018
Coming into the job here what initially struck me was how at every level how great he people are. So many people who've been here for many years and are still passionate and excited to come at work. Lasting relationships and a warm connected-ness that feels genuine is encouraging to see. There is a culture of care and competitiveness which feels balanced.

It is a company you really feel you can move up within regardless of where you start. They have stories at all levels how people gave grown their careers here and it's comforting to see for my own future growth.
Pros
Flexible schedule, benefits
Cons
Traffic during rush hour
Great company to work for
Sales Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON22 October 2018
Gordon Food Service is an excellent company to work for. What I like most about being a sales service representative is that my hours vary from eight to twelve hours a day.
Don”t do it
Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 October 2018
Very poor management. Very toxic work environment.
Good people get let go for no good reason while the ones whom make puppies all day get promotted.
Not recommended
If you want to be unhappy...
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC12 October 2018
If you like to make you eat wool on your back by an employer who only wants to take advantage of every situation. What is said on the floor and in the office are two completely different things. Office workers are all trying to get out of the job so they throw the ball to another who at his turn throws the ball to another so that nothing can be done. Never their fault, said all the time "we will fix that" and that all problem become worst and worst and worst and it's YOUR fault. Because you know, after 5 month, all managing problem is your fault because you drive forklift...
Pros
Money and some employees are nice
Cons
No personal life and no respect by the boss
Good job if you wanna work
Delivery Driver - G Class (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON28 September 2018
Its not easy work but its a great company to work for.

You get treated fairly, good benefits and rrsp plan. Physically demanding but days go by fast and great group of people working .
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Can be long days
dont do the online survey till they fire you for no reason
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 September 2018
how they became a top 70 employer in Canada nobody knows, they do not care about you only there deliveries, only do there survey after they fire you, they will push you to do it right away but hold off till the 3 month or most likely the 2 3/4month time when they will fire you w/o any reason other than you are not a good fit. they are used to firing people quite well, sadly the only thing there good at.
Pros
wcb
Cons
terrable micromanagement
If you want to see you burn from both ends of the candle.
Local Field Tech (Current Employee) –  Boucherville, QC21 September 2018
Seriously, if you want an insane amount of work, OK pay at best. Irresponsible people making important decisions. This is the place to go. Have fun. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.