Gordon Food Service Employee Reviews

Found 174 reviews matching the search See all 1,139 reviews
Featured review
Gordon Food Service selected this as a representative review
Good family company that is still growing. Great money+benefits+oportunities
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 July 2015
GFS is a great company to work for. Most of the staff are very nice and I have made many good friends. We are even playing in a company softball tournmanet next month. The job is not easy and at first I was kinda sore after shifts but I got use to it after a few shifts.

the trainers are awesome and showed me lots of tricks to become faster and build better skids (Its kind of like playing tetris).After a little wile you should be able to hit your targets and make extra pay.

Overall, the money is great (especialy when you get incentives) and the benefits after 3 months are really good if you take the time to set it up right
Pros
good pay, benefits, free food, family company, lots of fun events
Cons
hard work
The Bald Manager Sucks
Material Handler/Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC18 May 2019
They were pushing you to work even tho you’re injured. Until now my wrist is fvck up because of this GFS. They should be reported to the govr. and be closed.
Pros
Cons
Everything is not worth it.
Not Enough Training
Office (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2019
I found, like most big companies, just not enough training to feel confident in your position. Had there been more training, an employee would feel more confident and self-assured in his/her position.
When something happens, you aren't just hearing it from your boss, but about 50 others. Did not appreciate that.
Pros
Discounted product
Cons
Too many chiefs
Getting worse
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Delta, BC23 April 2019
I want to start off saying that things used to be better when I started working here a number of years ago. The pay is still the same, the work is the same, the
change has been in Warehouse Leadership.

There was a time when we were staffed properly and leadership helped out the employees. If you're interested in working here, you'll find that they expect you to work until you drop from exhaustion and those same people won't move from the computer to help.

Their aim now is to get as many people in there, no matter what quality of worker you are. This has led to more injuries, more unsafe practices and more conflict in the workplace. This, coupled with the fact that you're already separated from normal people who work days, has led to more instances of open hostility between coworkers than I've ever seen anywhere else.

A couple of years ago, I would have absolutely recommended this place to start out a career. As it stands right now, I wouldn't wish this environment on anyone.

I was told when I first started that out here that our turnover rate about 1 in 3 people. Meaning 1 person in 3 new hires will not make it through the probation period. This was a flat out lie. The turnover rate is more accurately sitting around 4 in 5 people. Meaning that if you're new, no one who has been there for any amount of time will talk to you.

I could be writing this review all day. So in conclusion, I would like to just tell people to be wary of the lies they feed you and if you value your own happiness, just stay away. There are so many better career paths to take instead of
  more... this one.  less
Pros
Met some great friends along the way
Cons
Too many to list
Fun people to work with, paycheque often miscalculated though.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC22 April 2019
I loved working here. My colleagues were mostly all great to work with. Enjoyed my route and all the connections I made. They often made mistakes on my paycheque and shorted me. It is very easy to rack up internal points and get fired, unfortunately. They will write you up for minor incidents whether your fault or not.
Pros
fun, positive environment
Cons
paycheque errors constantly
Worker beware
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON20 April 2019
Shifts aren't good. Company bring in seminars to help you balance your work and life as if they dont understand the shift hours that are forced upon you are the problem. You are just a number. Went from having a boys club leadership to a girls club leadership under the current President. Company experiences growth every year which would be good if the people running the company knew how to handle that growth. Morale is always extremely low in the warehouse and will bring you down. Your opinion is heard but doesn't matter. It's the illusion of your opinion mattering. Even if you have a note saying you cant work a couple days you will be written up for missing work. You can't be human and get sick or injured. Forced overtime.

You will be selling your soul to the company store. They will own you and treat you as such.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Barely ever see your own family, You are just a number, Your safety is not really a priority as they claim.
24 April 2019

Thank You for your comment.

GFS takes pride in offering a family-friendly culture that balances both home and work life. While we appreciate your opinion, we must disagree on a few points. We pride ourselves in having a diverse leadership group, comprised of both men and women. This leadership group together, creates a balanced look at how to efficiently and profitably run an organization.

We must also disagree that 'morale is always extremely low in the warehouse', as this contradicts the results we receive from our employee opinion surveys. However, we do appreciate your comments and take them very seriously, and we will be looking into each of them.

Good company break your body
AZ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON18 April 2019
Good training programs. It was a good experience with this company as a new AZ driver . Benifits are good .I don't think pays really good but average. Employees are brain washed by management.
Supervisors are with fake smiles .
This job is good for year or two .
Back injured or shoulder s get injured.
It's a general labourer job .
Pros
Best training and benifits
Cons
Cheap pay to get injured
24 April 2019

Thank you for your comments.

We regret you didn't have an exceptional experience with us and decided to rate us 1.0. We thank you for commending our training programs and benefits. While we do not believe 'employees are brainwashed by management', and 'supervisors are with fake smiles', we will look into your comments regarding injuries. Safety is the most important aspect of our work and we will continue to ensure that it is at the forefront of all leadership and employee's daily work.

They are looking for slaves
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC12 April 2019
They promise you will have the best benefits after three month, but before 3 month they kick you out. I got injured there, I could not move my hand for 6 month. I applied in WCB and of course GFS said I did not accept that and also of course WCB supports companies always and they did not give me anything. They destroyed my life.
If you feel yourself a good slave this company is the best for you.
Good place to work at but watch for backstabbers
Az Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON6 April 2019
Gfs is a good place to work new equipment they pay for your AZ which is awesome but the handbombing will take a toll on your health , otherwise if you like it then hats off to you but I think they need to give there drivers a raise and be making more then $40/ hour
Pros
New equipment
Cons
Not paid enough
8 April 2019

Thank you very much for your comment and feedback. We do believe our total rewards program for drivers is competitive within market and we take steps to ensure we remain competitive year over year. We recognize the physical aspect of the job, however, have put measures in place to ensure employees are moving product safely and effectively. That being said, we take your comments seriously and always welcome suggestions for improvement directly from employees who are doing the job on a daily basis.

Thank You!

Fresh food services
Shipper & Receiver (Current Employee) –  richond21 March 2019
working here is great, they support you all the way and they have a great environment to learn. The best thing is that you learn a lot. People are very friendly.
Pros
fast pace environment
Cons
no good wifi
27 March 2019

We appreciate your comment and will continue to ensure our environment is one filled with learning and support.

Thank you!

Its a good job, flexible and pays really well.
Delivery Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 March 2019
Just hard on the body. If you dont mind being outside everyday no matter the weather and possibly waking up 3 am shifts. Do it. The money makes it worth it!
Pros
Pays new drivers really well
Cons
Hard on your body throughout the years
27 March 2019

Thank you for your comment! While we won't deny our transportation roles are quite physical, we can say with pride that we strive to offer a family-friendly culture and one that rewards for performance. We also ensure all employees are set up for success with proper training and tools to create a safe and productive approach to the physicality of the role. We appreciate your feedback!

Great Environment for Self Starters
SALES CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2019
GFS is a great place to work of you are a self starter. It is important to understand that although you work alone there is a great network of support.
no life
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC30 January 2019
hard heavy work must be in shape typical day is like a big game of tetrus management is good couple issues work is very physical dont do it if you want to wake up feeling good every morning
Lots of money to be made if you don't plan on moving up
REACH TRUCK OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON8 January 2019
You are able to make a lot of money during the peak season with overtime whenever you want, but standards never change even though the amount of congestion is constantly increasing. Management has the mentality that they've been there done that and you should be able to do it as well even though they were in your roll 10-15 years prior when the company was a tenth of the size. If you are good at your job, don't look for a promotion as upper management will try to keep you in the same roll to make themselves look good.

For the most part there are great people to work with, but because it has the kill or be killed mentality and everyone is trying to maximize how much they make without concern for other people or there safety.
Pros
Money, company appreciation, benefits
Cons
Middle management, work-life balance
27 March 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We take the safety of our employees very seriously and apologize if you have ever felt your safety was at risk. We encourage you to bring your concerns forward to your supervisor, manager, or director or, directly to HR so we can assist in resolving your feedback in a timely manner. We appreciate all our employees and the feedback they provide us.

i had fun
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 January 2019
i was in the trucks as a swamper and so i talked to a lot of long term and new drivers, there was not a lot of negative, they have fun and they get paid pretty decent. one of my favorite jobs ive had so far even though it was the definition of a lame temp job
Pros
employees seem happy
Cons
long hours in trucks.
Sweatshop with no rewards
Project Manager (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON19 December 2018
Meh, IDK bro could be better. It's hard to soar with the eagles when you have to work with turkeys. Ah well, C'est la vie, back to the unemployment line.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, nice people working there
Cons
sweatshop & cheap
27 March 2019

Thank you for your comment.

We regret you feel your time with us could have been better. We pride ourselves on our culture and our employees. We do not echo your comments and regret you have spoken about them in a less than professional manner. Our employees are what sustain us as a competitive organization and we work diligently to protect our culture and workplace. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Custodian
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 December 2018
Job as a custodian was ok at first but sooner or later it will worn you out because they would let you do everything. And sanitarian/custodians have big time back stabbers even the lead hand and managers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Back stabbers
27 March 2019

Thank you for your comment and feedback. It is certainly not our intention for any employee to feel worn out, or not cared for. We take employee appreciation and concerns very seriously and strive to ensure all employees are treated fairly and equitably. We do feel that we have the appropriate leadership in place to foster a collaborative work culture.

Thank You and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Worst company to work as a AZ driver
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON5 December 2018
One of the worst company to work as AZ driver very long wait to complete hiring process and they will waste your 15 days and tell you to not to hire right now because of they say the recieve many applications,very disrespectful behaviour of staff.these guys should stop playing with people and stop wasting their time.they do not give overtime or something just 30.40 hours a week.i will recommend not to waste your time with these worst company there are 100s of transport company that pay good and enough hours.
27 March 2019

Thank you for expressing your concerns. While we strive to ensure a quick and efficient hiring process, there are times when we receive a higher than normal volume of resumes. We also exhibit a thorough recruitment process to ensure the right candidates are placed in the job, and set up for success. In some cases this may extend the length of the recruitment process. We also pride ourselves on having a family-friendly culture that treats all candidates and employees with dignity and respect. We apologize if you felt you did not have the best recruitment experience, and thank you for sharing. We will continue to try our best and ensure everyone receives the best possible experience.

Slavery's
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2018
Do you love being a slave and physically demolish, not cared about, getting looked down upon as a worm well then by all means please apply and work here and have your life exhausted by some company
Cons
Company with huge potential lead by micro managers
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 November 2018
No matter what you do or how you do it you only hear about how you could have done it better and not in a constructive way. Not to say I need constant praise but some would have been nice.

Management is currently big on micro management and it is rare that they let people try doing things their own way.

There are a lot of good people that work at the Winnipeg division but it had been an extremely stressful work environment for the last year or so while I was employed there.

The most enjoyable part of working for the company was my peers and the benefits.
Pros
Performance based pay is a good incentive and their benefits program is second to none.
Cons
Micro managed and poor work life balance
Fun
Receiving Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 November 2018
Another great company the staff i worked with were very great people had lots of laughs very rewarding company and lots of oppurtunities to advance thank you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gordon Food Service. Our community is ready to answer.