Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

easy going
Donor Greeter & Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 August 2018
learned a lot from this job, good place too work for someone with disabilities would recommend my family and friends work here sometimes i wish i had never left
Great for someone with a disability to work at
Alberta Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2018
I have worked at goodwill for 7 years and have found it a rewarding experience in which I have been able to grow as a person. I continue to grow while I am there even though at times job growth is not there as it is a non-profit organization they en devour to help us out in whatever they can. It has been a positive experience.
Pros
I find it a friendly environment to work in
Cons
Lack of Job Growth and hours can be tough to get.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 June 2018
As a volunteer, Goodwill provided excellent service towards customer service and retail. I also managed stocking and shipments that needed to be handled
Pros
Not physically demanding
Cons
Donated clothes can be, at times, "dirty"
Friendly work environment, but disorganized management
Donor Greeter (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON19 June 2018
Very positive work environment, everyone is friendly no matter how busy it is. Donor Greeting can be a very physical job depending on how many people donate and the size of each donation. The hardest part of the job is the physicality for most people (there is a lot of furniture moving and loading into vehicles). The best part of the job is the people you work with, like mentioned earlier it is rare that your coworkers will be in a bad mood. Just keep a smile on your face and your day should go well. As for management they are also very supportive; however, they can be organised. Many times they have messed up my time off requests and scheduled me for days that I book off. Another downside is the lack of hours everyone gets. There are a lot of employees and not enough labour hours to be passed around. Overall it is a good part time job but is nothing special.
Mismanaged!
Donor Greeter/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 June 2018
The vast majority of my co workers at Goodwill are absolutely great people. I really enjoyed the years I spent working with those people. They made the job environment very tolerable. I was there long enough to hold various positions behind the scenes of my local store, all which were actually enjoyable.

But with that being said, Goodwill, is without a doubt, the most mismanaged company I have ever worked for. From the absolute bottom right to the very top.

I was there long enough to have met a lot of the heads of the company, They couldn't not care less about their employees.

Run by very disturbing people. Steer clear if you plan on working here for any lengthy period of time.
Pros
Amazing co workers
Cons
Horribly mismanaged
Fun helpful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2018
A typical work day was surrounded by happy people you enjoyed to be around. I learned a lot about organization and how to price product fast and efficiently.
Pros
Understanding Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
My very first job offer after graduating from the Home/Care Special Care Aide Program.
Special Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Duck Lake, SK28 May 2018
I enjoyed working with the very helpful staff here at Goodwill Manor. I asked a lot of questions as it was my first experience as a CCA. All staff very supportive where I experienced the LOVE and CARE of elders.
Fun place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2018
Each day was an eye opener and a reminder to enjoy the little things in life. Working with people who have a disability is very rewarding. being able to teach an adult about the community they live in and how they can be productive members of society, while watching them get pleasure out of working was the best party of my job.
Fun, Challenging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 May 2018
I loved it. found the job fun and good work with decent hours and enjoyable co-workers. only thing I didn't like is that it didn't work out after an illness put me in the hospital for too long.
Pros
Good Hours, Decent Location, Fun Environment
Cons
Quotas, Expectations were very high
Price/Management
Retail Customer support/inventory (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 May 2018
It was wonderful company the staff and a great fit for me at the time but not somewhere i would want to work again in the future. This just was for a summer position and it was great for that.
Pros
Nice breaks
Cons
long hard working shifts
Toxic environment
NA (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON9 May 2018
Awful company culture
Employees treated terribly - lack of respect, lead using intimidation
Lack of leadership
All around toxic and hostile working environment
Fast paced environment, cooperation needed
Store Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2018
On average working days were okay, never easy but some days were less difficult. Other days could be extremely taxing, causing soreness and emotional drain that could not be healed before the next working day. On a good day work is manageable, coworkers are friendly and present, and the rest of the store is keeping up. However on a bad day everything falls apart, and you cannot keep up with the demand for work. The biggest solution to this problem in my opinion would be to hire more workers, as if a single employee is missing, it can cause a collapse of the rest of the team.
Cons
Absence or slack from other employees can make work unbearable
Training
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON26 April 2018
This was more of a training opportunity at the time. It was an educational environment. There was some hands on jobs such as building fences, bathrooms, sheds. They had you placed with a job in the end!
was a great business to work for before all the corporate changes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 April 2018
after hiring new management and changing the entire way the business was run, working at goodwill wasn't fun anymore or in some situations wasn't morally ethical. They took away every fun parts about the job and made working for Goodwill become something i didn't want to be associated with anymore. After working with them for close to 2 and a half years i left with a better understanding for the important's of valuing your employees (which new management doesn't do at all.)
Pros
the staff
Cons
new managment
our office was right above the store so could shop on your lunch hour.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Goodwill was a great place to work everyone there was so awesome. We had a school downstairs for the Individuals and we loved to go and visit them ! They had award night and I have to tell you those kids were so excited was better than being on the red carpet. I only left there because needed more pay.
Great place
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 April 2018
A typical day at work was balancing registers to get ready for open of day. I worked with handicap associates who arrived 7 30 am and were great to work with. The culture was wonderful experience daily. The hardest part of the job were days when it was busy and I was needed 3 places at once-truck pick up or delivery, brinks for deposit and was always 3 cashiers-me being 1 and all of these occured daily on lunches and you found yourself on cash as it was busy and all 3 people arrive same time that was scary But every day was so enjoyable as working with handicap people was a great experience daily I leaned so much daily of how GREAT LIFE IS.
Pros
team members
Cons
deliveries, brinks cash same time-always felt guilty making people wait still do
great volunteer opportunity
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
There was a very thorough process to start volunteering with the Goodwill and it took some time volunteering before I got into the role I wanted at the Employment Services office. It was unfortunate that shortly after I got into that role the organization in TO closed it's doors.
Decent job
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
Working here was fine. Decent hours decent pay. My first location was great. Moved locations and that is when I decided I needed a change. I would recommend working here.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Cliques at current store
Felt good that we were helping individuals and the community
VP Finance and Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
When hired review the financial stability of company - non profit status but would be bankrupted, had problems meeting requirements
made several big and important decisions - cancelling major contract seeing funds flowing out of organization, restricted management from spending grants outside of grant's designed purpose - adjusted budgets and expenditures to funding levels -
within 12 months, accounts payable current, bank account in excess of $1,000,000 and auditors placed Goodwill as a going concern.
Pros
doing good for other people
Cons
restricting management to sound financial decisions
Very busy and hard working always but fun very friendly.
Customer Services/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
A typical day in Goodwill would start at 08:30 sharp.
I would have checked the schedule to find out where I have been assigned to, e.g cashier duties, grading clothing, electronic or accessories...
In cashier duties I would have first received $100.00 in change and then to help out I would start pricing up the jewelleries.
At 09:00 the shop would open and we start selling. However the nominated cashier wouldn't normally start receiving payments for the sold good until 09:30.
11:00 we would all take a 15 minutes break.
Lunch was between 13:30-14:15.
Finish at 17:00.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.5K