Goodwill Industries

Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Canada275 reviews
This job is for people who want to work at a minimum wage and repetitive work and easy working with items like toys, clothes, labelling, tagging, pricing etc.
I would say that it is a good company to work for. If you are looking to make some money and some good friends, go for it. The management is really very nice, never had issues with them. Good benefits and take care of their employees. I would say overall it's a 4 out of 5. This job is sometimes a very heavy job though. I would say if you're not comfortable with heavy lifting, please do not apply there. Overall, colleagues are great and work environment is good.
Pros
Scholarships, benefits
Cons
Heavy Lifting
I learned so good at time management that I was being incredibly productive during every minute of every day. The big lesson I learned my work experience, interpersonal and soft skills that helped me become a good employee. But more importantly, I learned the importance of responsibility and punctuality. Forming very good friendships. Also, how to cooperate with the people including teaching how to deal with others, understanding the other and respecting the other despite the difference. In addition, Goodwill offered scholarships every year. The pressure at work is the biggest motivation for giving more and for developing a person to work faster and in a correct and healthy way.
Pros
Good managers
Cons
No benefits
Be sure to ask how many store managers have been with the company for more than 5 years. This organization chews up managers and assistants emotionally, mentally and physically, sucks them dry and pays them out when they are burned out and struggling and need help. Or managers resign due to pressure from toxic management team culture. Feels immediately firing managers when talent is no longer useful and hiring new blood to get to next step is how to continuously improve.
Great resource for persons with disabilities to gain work experience. Very team focused and focused on continuous improvement.
Pros
Genuinely cares about mission. Helped many individuals become better employees, recycles a lot, pay benefits better than private employers
Cons
Executive Leadership is poor regarding working with Store Managers, (Who also have disabilities that need working with), Passion in company creates a lot of blind spots, expected to toe the line
Ot could have been better if Management was fair and honest. Lots of favours if you where not a friend or didnt have a goid connection with Management, that was it for you.
I do not recommend anybody a job here, unless you are a favourite of the management your opinion is never relevant. Never allowed a sunday off and they simply dont get a out their employees. Q
Management totally not on same page.. from bottom management to top management. Basically all over place. Understand it's goodwill but when u work work manager that can make mind up about stuff.. because upper manger will come in and make changes then not tell staff...
It started off good, but then a lot of drama and abuse of power from Management and Human Resources became a frequent problem.
It was very rewarding helping customers and making them happy.

We even had a lady who would donate baking to staff.
Great experience as Goodwill employee. They care about their employees and offer a collaborative environment. They support employees with safety instructions to use in routines at work,
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Goodwill Industries?
Fun and enjoyable. You get to meet lots of people.The greater majority of the people there are very positive and willing to help out or answer questions.
Pros
Upbeat and very helpful.
I volunteered at the Goodwill with my fellow classmates and we did not get paid because it was volunteer work we would stock food on shelves, sort the food into packages and store the packages on shelves or into storage
I was rarely able to eat with this job and was promised more, giving your everything isnt near enough for these people. They claim to respect and care for their workers but never once try to actually help. If you want a slow death at a dead end job, choose goodwill. Oh and their "volunteers" are subsidized by the government. Only to use the label.
Relaxed work environment and management is very accommodating to the needs of employees. High volume days can be stressful and some customers can be difficult to deal with. Job advancement at store locations are somewhat limited
Overall the experience was excellent, Got caught crossed train in a lot of different areas of the store to prepare us for the upcoming future to know better I have better opportunities to work as a team in the group and as individual. nothing negative to say about the industry and the staff were pretty amazing, Therefore everyone is friendly welcoming.
Goodwill is a great company that helps with growth, and encourage there employees to seek a long term future of there desire.But overall goodwill is a good stepping stone to help find your career golds
Frequently busy and fast paced
a regular day is spent merchandising and bringing items to the floor

Organizing donated items and maintain organization of store
I enjoyed both the customers and the staff. They made you feel at home. The job is actually a lot of fun and I would recommend it as a part-time job. The wages are a little low to meet ends meet.
Very good place to get work experience go work there get yourself a job that is fun to work at with good co workers who are not high minded because they don't think they better then you
As a former truck driver , it was a high demanding job with little to no appreciation. Clients were mostly getting rid of garbage they sisnt want to take to the dump themselves. Pay was sad demand was high . No family life
My job has been great the team is fantastic to work with. The management team understands your strengths and weaknesses. As for the jobs you could be pulling apparel one day putting out weares the next. There is an open door policy with management. The atmosphere at goodwill is the best one in the year I have worked at goodwill.
Pros
Employees support employees
Cons
Too many people who think they are in charge
Training was very quick no discussion about tools to use to be successful/ No help learning thrift. follow up only happens when you screw up Talk a good game but do not : walk the walk: