Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Great place
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 October 2018
I enjoyed volunteering for this company. Different skills to be learned and a better understanding of what Goodwill services can do for our community.
productive and fun workplace
Merchandiser/Donor Greeter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 October 2018
It was a fun experience. All I did was collect the donations from the donors and sort them out. Very easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting donors and customers every day.
Pros
meeting new customers
Cons
n/a
Nice
Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City9 October 2018
Nice place to give donations and help other people. The shop is clean and the price is so cheap. Not only have books but also clothes, CDs and small gifts.
Productive workplace
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 October 2018
Workers and managers are all friendly and helpful and ready to get things done. Some managers are better than others with keeping personal things separate from work stuff
amazing workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON27 September 2018
when volunteering the goodwill i was thinking of getting a full time job but after doing my co-op placement because i figured it wasn't really the type of job for me. i learned a lot while working there about being on time, getting to where you need to be and listening and following instructions very carefully.
Pros
lots of polite costumers
Cons
crowded on sale days
Very stressful environment
Sales Associate / Hanger / Sorter (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 September 2018
Accessing and communicating with management or Human Resources sometimes difficult. Too many managers and Human Resources not on site. Management and employees under stress due to first union contract.
Positive Environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON16 September 2018
It was a very quiet and easy going workspace. There was always a lot to do that kept the place busy and everyone was respectful. I ran into absolutely no conflict my short time volunteering there.
Overall overview of employment experience
CER (Former Employee) –  Calgary14 September 2018
I found this company discriminated against it's employees and exploited it's staff for profit. GIOA is a charitable organization that does not warrant any recognition as an equal opportunity employer.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Bias and discriminating management
Able to use the computer in between donors
Donor Greeter and Collector (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 September 2018
It was a very simple and easy job. The task at hand would be: greet the donors, take their donations, load it into the gaylords in the trailer and once they are full load it on to the truck.
Cons
No set break
Nice
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2018
Good will is the place you go to work and go home. I enjoyed working here. I did what I had to do and left afterwards. It was an ok to commute to but once you got there it was ok at times. The place was a little dusty at times but it was manageable.
Great Staff and Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
I loved working there the people were great and I wish I could've stayed, but I was only there on a 1 year contract to gain skills and experience, I wish I could go back
Pros
Employee Discount
A typical day at work
Processing/Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2018
There are always clothes to put away, items to pick up off the floor. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unruly customers that come in. The most enjoyable part is that I know I am doing something to help people with disabilities in Alberta.
Great Job but...
PROCESSING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2018
It was great to work for Goodwill. In general I would recommend the company to my friends and family. But the management has gone down the train in the last 6 months. They are the reason I have decided to leave the company.

I was given enough challenge within the job. The wage was okay and will go up with minimum wage.

Work place culture was ok but they did not get rid of the culture killers fast enough.

Co-workers were great for the most part and they will be missed
Pros
great coworkers, fair hours, more
Cons
upper management
easy going
Donor Greeter & Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 August 2018
learned a lot from this job, good place too work for someone with disabilities would recommend my family and friends work here sometimes i wish i had never left
Great for someone with a disability to work at
Alberta Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2018
I have worked at goodwill for 7 years and have found it a rewarding experience in which I have been able to grow as a person. I continue to grow while I am there even though at times job growth is not there as it is a non-profit organization they en devour to help us out in whatever they can. It has been a positive experience.
Pros
I find it a friendly environment to work in
Cons
Lack of Job Growth and hours can be tough to get.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 June 2018
As a volunteer, Goodwill provided excellent service towards customer service and retail. I also managed stocking and shipments that needed to be handled
Pros
Not physically demanding
Cons
Donated clothes can be, at times, "dirty"
Friendly work environment, but disorganized management
Donor Greeter (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON19 June 2018
Very positive work environment, everyone is friendly no matter how busy it is. Donor Greeting can be a very physical job depending on how many people donate and the size of each donation. The hardest part of the job is the physicality for most people (there is a lot of furniture moving and loading into vehicles). The best part of the job is the people you work with, like mentioned earlier it is rare that your coworkers will be in a bad mood. Just keep a smile on your face and your day should go well. As for management they are also very supportive; however, they can be organised. Many times they have messed up my time off requests and scheduled me for days that I book off. Another downside is the lack of hours everyone gets. There are a lot of employees and not enough labour hours to be passed around. Overall it is a good part time job but is nothing special.
Mismanaged!
Donor Greeter/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 June 2018
The vast majority of my co workers at Goodwill are absolutely great people. I really enjoyed the years I spent working with those people. They made the job environment very tolerable. I was there long enough to hold various positions behind the scenes of my local store, all which were actually enjoyable.

But with that being said, Goodwill, is without a doubt, the most mismanaged company I have ever worked for. From the absolute bottom right to the very top.

I was there long enough to have met a lot of the heads of the company, They couldn't not care less about their employees.

Run by very disturbing people. Steer clear if you plan on working here for any lengthy period of time.
Pros
Amazing co workers
Cons
Horribly mismanaged
Fun helpful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2018
A typical work day was surrounded by happy people you enjoyed to be around. I learned a lot about organization and how to price product fast and efficiently.
Pros
Understanding Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
My very first job offer after graduating from the Home/Care Special Care Aide Program.
Special Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Duck Lake, SK28 May 2018
I enjoyed working with the very helpful staff here at Goodwill Manor. I asked a lot of questions as it was my first experience as a CCA. All staff very supportive where I experienced the LOVE and CARE of elders.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.6K