Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Found 227 reviews matching the search See all 14,795 reviews
Great Job but...
PROCESSING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 August 2018
It was great to work for Goodwill. In general I would recommend the company to my friends and family. But the management has gone down the train in the last 6 months. They are the reason I have decided to leave the company.

I was given enough challenge within the job. The wage was okay and will go up with minimum wage.

Work place culture was ok but they did not get rid of the culture killers fast enough.

Co-workers were great for the most part and they will be missed
Pros
great coworkers, fair hours, more
Cons
upper management
Productive,fast paced,customer and employee friendly,physically challenging
General Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 December 2018
Fast paced and repetitive enviornment with constant changes made thoughout the day, rotating different merchandise also in regards to learning about new and old materials,product that are handled on daily bases. Management very consistant and well organized as to knowing where employees are best suited and positioned. The hardest part of the job would have to be the consistant fast pace from start to finish but is still managable, which makes the time goes by a lot quicker.
Pros
breaks being scheduled on a well managed bases and in accordance to length of shift schedule
Cons
no down time, constantly on your feet
A Decent job
Lead cashier on a Point-Of-Sale system. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
A great place for a first time job, or if there is nothing else at the time. Great people, although the management team is always changing, so you never really get to know them. I became a lead after only a few months, but the stress was just getting to be too much. The management puts a lot of stress on staff to produce their numbers, which is understandable, but they resort to hour-cutting, and bully tactics. For a company that preaches compassion, none is shown in the workplace.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bully tactics used to increase production.
Extremely rewarding and fun work enviroment
Donor/Greeter (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON5 November 2018
As a Donor/Greeter I was responsible for unloading vehicles of people making donations as quickly as possible. And also processing the donations into the correct totes and moving them to the various pricing stations.
I learned more time management skills. Supported by management.
Great place to work but can get really busy during yard sale season.
The daily interaction with the Donors, shoppers and co-workers.
Friendly work environment, but disorganized management
Donor Greeter (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON19 June 2018
Very positive work environment, everyone is friendly no matter how busy it is. Donor Greeting can be a very physical job depending on how many people donate and the size of each donation. The hardest part of the job is the physicality for most people (there is a lot of furniture moving and loading into vehicles). The best part of the job is the people you work with, like mentioned earlier it is rare that your coworkers will be in a bad mood. Just keep a smile on your face and your day should go well. As for management they are also very supportive; however, they can be organised. Many times they have messed up my time off requests and scheduled me for days that I book off. Another downside is the lack of hours everyone gets. There are a lot of employees and not enough labour hours to be passed around. Overall it is a good part time job but is nothing special.
Its a fun place but you will not survive in your salary
Labourer/ Donor Greeter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2019
Clean environment and lots of workers. Heavy lifting and dusty in receiving donations area. Lots of garbage donation. We don't receive good salary from them.
Pros
Normal 8 hours work
Cons
Salary is no good
is good to work and understand the rules and regulations of any company
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2018
My review is that I need a job that will help me to achieve the best of me because if are not work life is not going to be easy for you and now at day
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long
Overall overview of employment experience
CER (Former Employee) –  Calgary14 September 2018
I found this company discriminated against it's employees and exploited it's staff for profit. GIOA is a charitable organization that does not warrant any recognition as an equal opportunity employer.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Bias and discriminating management
Great Staff and Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
I loved working there the people were great and I wish I could've stayed, but I was only there on a 1 year contract to gain skills and experience, I wish I could go back
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No reason for company values
Abused Grunt (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2018
There is no dignity or joy working for this company. Only sadists need apply so they can be treated like scum sorting out other peoples dirty trash. There is no team work. They only care when you make money. No one improves because there is no training. No one wants to take accountablity. You might as well jump in front of the bus before up managment throws you under it.
Pros
Free food when uper mnagment treats you like trash!
Cons
Too many to list.
Very stressful environment
Sales Associate / Hanger / Sorter (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 September 2018
Accessing and communicating with management or Human Resources sometimes difficult. Too many managers and Human Resources not on site. Management and employees under stress due to first union contract.
Horrible
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2018
Unless you're willing to be treated like trash, I would 110% not recommend working and the Goodwill Westend store. Management is so bad, but some of the employers are nice.
Good
Donor Greater (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 October 2018
Good organization and very friendly people, I have enjoyed working with everybody there. I had two tasks during my work, a donor greater and E&M (which I loved a lot).

E&M stands for Electrical and Mechanical, it allows you to test all electrical and mechanical devices you received from donors before you put them on the floor for sale. I would come across very interesting devices, some are very old that I used to see when I was a child, and some are extremely rare which I did not even know such things could exist.
Team is amazing but leadership team is lacking....
Director, Career Connections (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2018
Not focused on the business and distractions take away from the effectiveness of the team and organization. Favoritism and inconsistent approaches plague the leadership team.

Organization has so much potential and such a great cause - but is being led to it's potential, and at times is in conflict with its mission and core values.
Pros
Helping people with disabilities!!!
Cons
Organization takes far more than it gives!
Great place
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 April 2018
A typical day at work was balancing registers to get ready for open of day. I worked with handicap associates who arrived 7 30 am and were great to work with. The culture was wonderful experience daily. The hardest part of the job were days when it was busy and I was needed 3 places at once-truck pick up or delivery, brinks for deposit and was always 3 cashiers-me being 1 and all of these occured daily on lunches and you found yourself on cash as it was busy and all 3 people arrive same time that was scary But every day was so enjoyable as working with handicap people was a great experience daily I leaned so much daily of how GREAT LIFE IS.
Pros
team members
Cons
deliveries, brinks cash same time-always felt guilty making people wait still do
Great for someone with a disability to work at
Alberta Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 July 2018
I have worked at goodwill for 7 years and have found it a rewarding experience in which I have been able to grow as a person. I continue to grow while I am there even though at times job growth is not there as it is a non-profit organization they en devour to help us out in whatever they can. It has been a positive experience.
Pros
I find it a friendly environment to work in
Cons
Lack of Job Growth and hours can be tough to get.
was a great business to work for before all the corporate changes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON23 April 2018
after hiring new management and changing the entire way the business was run, working at goodwill wasn't fun anymore or in some situations wasn't morally ethical. They took away every fun parts about the job and made working for Goodwill become something i didn't want to be associated with anymore. After working with them for close to 2 and a half years i left with a better understanding for the important's of valuing your employees (which new management doesn't do at all.)
Pros
the staff
Cons
new managment
Felt good that we were helping individuals and the community
VP Finance and Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
When hired review the financial stability of company - non profit status but would be bankrupted, had problems meeting requirements
made several big and important decisions - cancelling major contract seeing funds flowing out of organization, restricted management from spending grants outside of grant's designed purpose - adjusted budgets and expenditures to funding levels -
within 12 months, accounts payable current, bank account in excess of $1,000,000 and auditors placed Goodwill as a going concern.
Pros
doing good for other people
Cons
restricting management to sound financial decisions
amazing workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON27 September 2018
when volunteering the goodwill i was thinking of getting a full time job but after doing my co-op placement because i figured it wasn't really the type of job for me. i learned a lot while working there about being on time, getting to where you need to be and listening and following instructions very carefully.
Pros
lots of polite costumers
Cons
crowded on sale days
Abysmal Managment
Donor Door Attendant, Processor and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2018
It is below a regular retail scene if you're a Donor Attendant your job is to take care of other peoples job and get slammed with your own. Good luck moving up in this company as they would rather bring new people in then train current staff new positions
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Managment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K