Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

our office was right above the store so could shop on your lunch hour.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2018
Goodwill was a great place to work everyone there was so awesome. We had a school downstairs for the Individuals and we loved to go and visit them ! They had award night and I have to tell you those kids were so excited was better than being on the red carpet. I only left there because needed more pay.
Great place
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON5 April 2018
A typical day at work was balancing registers to get ready for open of day. I worked with handicap associates who arrived 7 30 am and were great to work with. The culture was wonderful experience daily. The hardest part of the job were days when it was busy and I was needed 3 places at once-truck pick up or delivery, brinks for deposit and was always 3 cashiers-me being 1 and all of these occured daily on lunches and you found yourself on cash as it was busy and all 3 people arrive same time that was scary But every day was so enjoyable as working with handicap people was a great experience daily I leaned so much daily of how GREAT LIFE IS.
Pros
team members
Cons
deliveries, brinks cash same time-always felt guilty making people wait still do
great volunteer opportunity
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
There was a very thorough process to start volunteering with the Goodwill and it took some time volunteering before I got into the role I wanted at the Employment Services office. It was unfortunate that shortly after I got into that role the organization in TO closed it's doors.
Felt good that we were helping individuals and the community
VP Finance and Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
When hired review the financial stability of company - non profit status but would be bankrupted, had problems meeting requirements
made several big and important decisions - cancelling major contract seeing funds flowing out of organization, restricted management from spending grants outside of grant's designed purpose - adjusted budgets and expenditures to funding levels -
within 12 months, accounts payable current, bank account in excess of $1,000,000 and auditors placed Goodwill as a going concern.
Pros
doing good for other people
Cons
restricting management to sound financial decisions
Very busy and hard working always but fun very friendly.
Customer Services/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2018
A typical day in Goodwill would start at 08:30 sharp.
I would have checked the schedule to find out where I have been assigned to, e.g cashier duties, grading clothing, electronic or accessories...
In cashier duties I would have first received $100.00 in change and then to help out I would start pricing up the jewelleries.
At 09:00 the shop would open and we start selling. However the nominated cashier wouldn't normally start receiving payments for the sold good until 09:30.
11:00 we would all take a 15 minutes break.
Lunch was between 13:30-14:15.
Finish at 17:00.
Safe Job
Donation collector (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 March 2018
It's a good place to work. Overall great team no matter what store or donation center you work at. People like to have fun and try to find fun in everything they do.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg19 February 2018
I liked it it was fun I would do it again. I was a volunteer here for part of them summer so I never got paid , but it was a fun experience working here as a volunteer. I got a discount on items it was really good working here
Overall a fun and productive experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2018
Great environment overall, from management, and other team members that worked well together. Disappointed when the management chose to close the doors to the public, in the area of the city I had worked in.
Pros
Good enviroment, Friendly people, Great experience, discounts were favorable
Cons
They closed the doors to the public.
customer servise
Donation attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2018
I 'd like to work with the team, and serve for all the donators and customers. I worked at Goodwill for 1.5 years.
All the team members respected each other and helped each other.
we got improvement there.
Busy place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2018
Liked the job itself, management was odd and unpredictable. Co workers could be challenging. Customers were great. Poor communication between management and staff.
Pros
discounts
Cons
unpredictable management
Short term work for paying bills but long term sucks the life out of you.
Customer Service warehouse (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 January 2018
Good for short term training and building skills for batter paying jobs but to stressful and not worth it for long term. Co-workers were alright but managers can do a better job .
Pros
learning skills if you need to get a better paying job.
Cons
Managers overwork and stress out workers profits over people
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON12 January 2018
goodwill is a great place to work i loved it. i only left because i couldnt get enough hours. They have a GREAT team and its a great environment and they have great donors.
Pros
great team
Cons
not enough hours
great advancement opportunities
Manager of Recycling & Sustainability (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 January 2018
have grown here a lot. appreciate all the skills and experience learned. Salary is low. added perks and benefits are great, especially for salaried staff.
Great place to work at
Donor Greeter/Sorter/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON17 December 2017
Goodwill industries provided me with my first ever job experience and they were amazing and understanding of my time needs as a student. It helped me build skills and enter the workforce.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Sometimes worked alone
Started off great, left after 3 years due to a change in manager
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 November 2017
This was a great job while I was there (Kitchener). Recently, they switched managers and the ones that have come in run the place like dictators. Incredibly rude to staff. The employees themselves are great, however. A fun bunch to work with. But I would not want to work here now unless I had rent to pay. Note, that they cut corners with safety and throw away A LOT of stuff. I mean dumpsters worth of it each week. All the stores have problems with homeless people picking through the trash and we would constantly find used needles and empty heroin bags laying around the building.
Pros
Fun staff, usually
Cons
Bad management
Production worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 November 2017
I like working there, the job and the people and there is always advancement opportunities. They encourage you to look for well paying jobs. Great place to work!
Team-Environment, Hard to have positive work/personal life balance.
Employment Support Worker (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 November 2017
I was in the role of Employment Support Worker in the Career Centre. This role is extremely unique and how it operates is different based on the individual. You are supporting people in work placements, paid placements, and a variety of other work training - such as mock interviews, cash register training, etc. You provide weekly assessments to the people in placements to determine their ability to work/if they are ready to work. It is a role that requires a lot of observation vs. hands-on work, which I found to be challenging. However, the work can be very rewarding when the person you support is successful. You are required to provide feedback on a variety of categories, such as work pace, attitude, attendance, physical abilities, and many more.

Management here is very supportive, and it is most definitely a team environment here at Goodwill. Your co-workers are in constant communication with one another to share feedback, provide insight, etc.

The hardest part of the job I found personally was the work/personal life balance. This shift requires extreme flexibility within your role - often working long days, evenings, and occasionally weekends. Your schedule can change quickly, and at times without notice. So it is important to be quick thinking, and be able to adapt to the situation as needed.

I enjoyed working in such a supportive environment where you are constantly learning, and encouraged to share your input.
Pros
team environment, benefits, learning environment, supportive management
Cons
No overtime pay, 7 hour work day, ever-changing schedule
it was alright
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 October 2017
Volunteering here was an alright experience. The managers were nice and understanding to any situations they were given. they also are very quick at hand and hardworking.
Pros
nice people
Cons
No pay because it was volunteer
not really a review
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON4 October 2017
not really a review, it was fine, i was there for volunteering, everyone was fine, it was quick an easy to do, fun even. heck id do it again in my spare time if i could.
it is a positive work environment and extremely productive
cashier, helped customers (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2017
goodwill is a really good starter job for teens or for anyone looking for a job in retail. goodwill is productive and a great environment because the people i worked with, they were positive and productive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.1K