Goodmans LLP

Goodmans LLP Employee Reviews

Canada22 reviews
I was a temp but I picked up the work fast because the mailroom works through a variety of processes. Lots of supervision to help you if you have a problem. So much food on offer as the firm seems to celebrate a lot.
Just don't go there! It will ruin you.

Management really only cares about you for the first year you are there.... then you become passe. Not the law firm that Me. Goodman would be proud of.

Go somewhere else... money and free food isn't worth it.
Working at Goodmans was an incredible experience. Everyone there is very friendly and welcoming. They made adjusting to the job very easy. I loved the inclusive culture that the firm provides and it made being there very enjoyable.
Good learning experience, lots of seminars and sessions on important topics. Challenging work-life balance as you are required to devote long hours. Overall happy.
The workplace culture is amazing. Great people with lots of fun events hosted. Advancement and learning is capped in the accounting department. Management practices and initiatives are very different depending on department and supvervisor.
Pros
Amazing culture
Cons
Compensation
Goodmans LLP offers refresher classes for Microsoft XP. Which is the program their employees work with on a daily basis. The sessions can be quick classes that last only 15 minutes.
Pros
lunch sessions
Cons
Things are not the same as when I started working here. Culture has changed. Implementing training but need to tailor training to the positions. Benefits are good.
Pros
Flexible in working hours
Cons
No advancement
Since the loss of Mr. Goodman the place is a joke! Dale Lastman could care less about you. There is no culture and it’s all about hiring juniors so the partners can line their pockets.
Not a great experience. Didn't find management supportive at all. It was all about making the lawyers happy, and not staff. Hours weren't the best (11-7) 5 days a week.
Fantastic company culture, wonderful people.
A wonderful place to work.

Very fast paced with multi-tasking and conflict management skills being a must.
really advise for future employment, nice people and good environment
If you can have a opportunity to be a part of the company , you will be excited and have a great time there
When I started here years ago, Goodmans was THE place to work. The atmosphere was welcoming, everyone loved their job and people rarely left. But over the past 5 years, things have changed. The salaries have not kept up with the general pace and as a result, people are leaving to work elsewhere. HR is a nightmare to work with. There's a superior tone now that was never there before. It's "Us v. Them" instead of a team feeling. When you can't get a resolution from HR, where to do go? Elsewhere. That is what I've done.
Fantastic company to work for. Starting out my career as a Human Resources professional couldn't have been a better experience. Always challenging and something new to learn. Supervisors and Management were always there to support.
Great place to work. All assistants generally care for one and another and come together in times in need. There are Christmas parties and winter parties every year. The firm holds meeting with the managing partner for questions or concerns. Its a amazing place to work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Downtown Toronto
Professional environment with client requests that change your priorities regularly. A very high level of user service is required (white glove). Very little red tape and decisions are made quickly.
Pros
dynamic environment
Cons
Typical day at work would be checking emails, checking lawyer's in/outbox, and docketing.

I learned how to manage my day with a fast-paced lawyer and law clerk.

I loved the people I worked with, the other assistants are all helpful and it is more like a family atmosphere where everyone is very approachable and always ready to help someone in need.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with a difficult boss and learning how to get past certain things to make the relationship work.
Good people
Nice facilities

friendly

Great fundraiser

everyone is every easy to talk to when you need help
For me, a typical day on the job consists of many different things. Being in a "after hours support" role, I am split between a few different departments that include, Office Services, Hospitality, Audio Visual and occasionally Premises. Coming from Niagara Falls originally it's safe to say that my prior work experience was predominately in Hospitality. Which was one of the things that Goodmans was looking for when they created this role. Since joining Goodmans with only a Hospitality background, I have learned many different skills including the scanning, faxing and photocopying of documents, technology (laptop, projector and conference call setups). I've also become familiar with Word, Adobe, Excel and other programs.

I'd say my experience with management has been pretty great. The coordinators that I've worked under understand that I'm spread all over the place during my shift and allow me to work without trying to micro manage too much. Due to the fact that I work the after hours shift, I rarely see my supervisors or directors however, they are always easy to reach if need be and have shown that they are more than willing to help me or hear me out if I want to voice any concerns.

But the best part of my experience with Goodmans by far has been the people I work for and with. Upon starting here I was immediately struck by the culture of the firm. Almost everyone you meet are nice, genuine people who you will quickly know on a first name basis. Everyone for the most part is very easy to approach. I had read about this prior to my start date but didn't know what to
 - more...
Pros
Wages, benefits, the employees and occasionally... Free food :)
Work hours had been good, management could improve, co-workers were great.
Pros
Lots of events
Cons
Work environment could use some work -
Goodmans was a great place to work, very helpful and friendly people. Always looked forward to working
Everything you could expect from Big Law....

Management is out of touch and the structure needs to be fixed.