GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews for Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer237 reviews
Canada237 reviews
Great work culture with lots of perks and room to move around. They cap your wage after a certain period. If you like sales, goodlife is the place for you (there is a lot of room to make money if you're good at selling).

Personal trainers should get paid more.

Overall, decent place to work!
Pros
Free membership plus 1 extra, friendly co workers, meet lots of new people, relaxed atmosphere, provided T shirt uniforms, discounted personal training packages, easy to transfer clubs
Cons
Air conditioning gets really cold after a while, some members can be hard to deal with, minimum wage
Although I love being a trainer and helping people working for a corporation is not worth it. The people I worked with are amazing and I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who had knowledge and experience of 8+ years working for the company but there were also a lot of negatives that came with this job.
You need to be really good at selling and sometimes it can take months - years to build up a steady business of clients who are committed to staying with you for a few years. Overall the environment is relaxing but it’s common to hear the phrase “overworked and underpaid” working for this company and the shock that most clients get knowing their trainers are getting paid a quarter of what the gym makes. They also don’t always have amazing management staff and throw a lot of people who are inexperienced into the job.

It can be a rewarding job but go into it with experience or at least learn from it and fly solo after a couple years.
Pros
Fun, Can be relaxing, Rewarding and educational
Cons
Overworked-underpaid, Sometimes inexperienced managers, first year or two is stressful
I had spoken to numerous personal trainers about the job before deciding to join GoodLife. I wanted so badly to make it work. I put in an incredible amount of hours for the company and spent a lot of money on courses to better myself. At the end of the day, I was not treated well for all the work I was doing. Management would yell at me for no reason, I would not be paid for work that was done, and management would turn a blind eye to shady operations within the company. I really wanted to work in the fitness industry because it's something I'm passionate about. But passion doesn't make up for the lack of money and terrible treatment.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No health benefits, little vacation time
Terrible place to work, would never recommend to anyone. They treat you like replaceable trash and have terrible work culture. If you don't produce numbers, you're written up and fired.
I have nothing but good things to say about working for Goodlife. The management, education opportunities, benefits, career advancement opportunities and fulfillment you get from this job are all fantastic. Your salary really is dependant upon the hours you put in, and your client acquisition, but if you need help and need to get better there is always someone willing to help get you there. The hours can be long especially when dealing with a lot of clients, but every day moves fast, and is extremely enjoyable despite the long hours. Amazing job
The company is making changes to allow management to have more work/life balance. Passion and culture is good. Huge opportunity for advancement in the company.
Pros
Fun, good culture, learn a lot
Cons
Stress of sales
As trainers you have to find your own clients, and are only paid for the time with those clients no hours in between so you are mostly working mornings and evenings with very little pay inbetween.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
The personal training and sales jobs are super stressful. If you don't hit your targets you get written up. A lot of the targets are unrealistic. Clients should be evened out and divvied up between trainers.
This company and job is what you make it. If you work hard and look for clients then you can generally make more money.
Benefits package for PT department is based on hours so if your sales skills are lacking (yes it is a sales position as well) then you pay a lot for benefits.
Pros
Commission
Benefits
The club rips you off. Your commission and pay is less than 50% of what the client is paying the gym. The managers have no clue about fitness and how to sell fitness plans. The way they make you sell is ridiculous, it is very aggressive and easily deters clients who are already insecure about the gym by making us question their dedication so they buy now.
Awful managment, the manager used to tell at us and throw pens.
Pay as a PT was like 30 dollars a day and if you wanted to earn more ofcuarse you needed to find your clients. Problem is that you have to stay there for 15 hours or so a day.
Just a very depressing place to work. The culture is just exploitative and Pelt money driven. Stressful and disheartening.

Trying to be respectful because it is a former employer, but the upper management uses the same pressure tactics with you as an employee that they want you to use with prospective clients. This left me feeling very used. It was honestly brutal skiing up and thinking I needed to go back to work.

To boot: this is a company that had to cut cheques retroactively to pay employees because it forced them to work and prospect for new clients on their own time (not paid) or they would lose their jobs.
Goodlife is a great place to work but you also have to be aware that it is very sales oriented. You need to be able to seek out potential members and be good with sales.
Great place to build a client base. However, if you are in a club with not a lot of clients it is harder to build a business. Lots of work for not a lot of financial gain.
Goodlife is a great place for trainers looking to start a career in the fitness industry. My Fitness Manager took the time to ensure his trainers were the best of the best.
If you want to work 15 hours a day to make ends meet then this is the job for you. I truely do believe it is 100% dependable on your manager. If your fitness manager sells for you, all you have to do is be a good trainer and you will do well and make money. If they dont sell for you, you need to work a ton extra for no pay. If you dont sell you also get fired, doesnt matter how good of a trainer you are. I also felt constantly torn down by my fitness manager.
No if you expect to live out of it .
Yes as a lifestyle and willing to spend money on certifications constantly .

On recent years this has changed .
Too concentrated on sales rather than quality of service and quality of trainers. Catered too much to general needs and not to specific desires and needs of a given clientele
Your direct manager will make or break your career there. My first fitness manager helped me grow and build a very successful business, my second one tore that business down and made me feel like less of a trainer every day.
Stay away from this company. The company manipulates their employees, convincing them they will be running 'their own business' within the company, while GoodLife takes the majority of the profit. You will be working 15 hours per day just to make ends meet.
Worked long hours and cared for clients, but the pay is all in the comission from sales and the trainer doing the work is getting peanuts. Better to make the sales and give the clients to a new trainer, which seems unethical as a great trainer.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.