GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews for Motivator

Motivator56 reviews
Canada56 reviews
Love doing the work that I do, but my associates do not necessarily share the same sentiments. I take on a lot of responsibilities that should be shared and these behaviours are not corrected by management. A lot of the times we get flack for some amenities taking a long time to fix but are out of our hands as we wait for parts to come in so the people fixing them may do their repairs. Handing complaints can be tough but the regulars that come by make everything worth it. I improve customer service skills, learned how to reject people kindly and stand my ground to protect patrons' safety from those who try to take advantage of the system.
You are always disposable as a Goodlife employee.
You can go work on time, in uniform, be passionate about your job, ready to work every shift, but you are no more valuable than the person who calls in sick every week and doesn't care about their job.

The harder you work doesn't equal job advancement. Job advancement is NOT based on job performance, availability or seniority but is based on the 'discretion' of the Manager.

Working hard at Goodlife means working until you are so burnt out and worn down, you finally get pushed out of a job.

That's why you see so may Goodlife jobs on Indeed.

If you need to file a complaint with HR regarding any kind of workplace harassment be prepared to be victimized again. Goodlife has a privacy policy where they can't tell you if any action was taken again the person you filed a complaint against. So you never really know if anything was ever done and you still get to come to work every day to your abuser. It makes the work environment unsafe for anyone who may feel like a minority or vulnerable.

HR also works hard at protecting management, so if you have any concerns, HR doesn't get you far, and you are safer and better off quitting.

That's why you see so many Goodlife jobs on indeed.
easy job to get into, you can move up and make more money depending on how big your hustle is. you can use this job as entry to work jobs as a receptionist in other places.
I enjoyed working at GoodLife but I felt like many things in my interview including having a job and life balance and being part of a team we’re not true in the end a lot of drama between employees. Management was sub par organized.
Very positive environment but lots of change over as it is mostly part-time workers so can get full-time unless you are very good with computers. Atmosphere is great both with staff and customers.
Great management and team at Cedarbrae location. Very nice members and easy environment to adjust to. Management is very easy with schedule changes...
Typical day at work usually consists of greeting members at the front gate, dealing with questions or concerns members have about their memberships. Maintain cleanliness of the facility and just always bringing a positive attitude to work.
I think the best part of the job was watching the people that came progress overtime, seeing people achieve their goals, and the joy that gives them, also the other staff are easy to get along with, and the manager is kind
Goodlife fitness has taught me a lot in regards to not only weight goals but also your mind and whole well being. I love and respect my management team for their dedication to Goodlife fitness core values : caring, trust, integrity, passion, peak attitude, happiness and personal fitness. Not only does the team talk about it, but they ARE about it. Great working experience.
Employees are often asked to go over and beyond their job description and for the amount of money they are paid. The fitness advisors, PTs, and managers are always under pressure to sell, sell sell! In fact, even the front desk staff are asked to place sale above all else. That's how Goodlife sees members: not as people, but as walking wallets.

The quality of personal trainers at Goodlife is dismal. Many of them are not experts educated on the biomechanics of the human anatomy or sports sciences. I've witnessed countless cases of former-actor, former-servers transform into a personal trainer overnight. How? They just simply take a weekend class and pay $500 to CANFITPRO (conveniently owned by Goodlife) to learn how to sell cookie cutter fitness programs and gain the authority to give bad advice to members. All the while, the said member will be paying $50+ per hour for an advice from someone no better than other gym bros lifting there.

Of course, I think the PTs see less than half of that money, so the only person enriching himself at Goodlife is Patch & his cronies in the management. And everyone from the bottom grunt to the top brass knows this. Goodlife was built on the backs of exploited workers who are paid too darn little for the work they do.

Goodlife has often been a center of media attention in the past due to malpractices in terms of consumer protection, allowing young children to develop melanoma etc. It's not a coincidence. The upper management lacks any empathy or care towards employees or members, yet they claim to uphold "caring" or "integrity" as
 - more...
Pros
Free gym pass + discounted passes for friends, chill job (depending on the location), low bar for entry
Cons
Toxic culture, lack of investment into certain aspects, abusive members, bad management
The manager was terrible at communicating. They would sign people up for first aid or occasional meetings, not tell the staff about them, and then get mad when the employees didn't show up.

I received very minimal training and it lead to customers leaving feeling frustrated when I couldn't help them properly. I asked for more training and did not receive any.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Minimum wage, no performance reviews, no opportunities for advancement
Hang at the front desk and converse with members and make sure the gyms clean and safe. All the co-workers I have at the gym are awesome and made me feel super welcome when i joined the team.
I very much enjoy my time at Goodlife fitness. The manager is great and always tries to consider everybody's wishes, he's a really good guy.

Work does require a little learning curve in terms of running the computer systems and understanding how to best serve the members, but it gets easy enough after a few months. There are periods of the gym being completely dead, and other times where you are bouncing around the desk trying to help everyone who needs it. Overall a good part time job to have though.
Pros
Flexible hours and great co-workers
Cons
Not much growth potential
Management is very flexible with scheduling, very helpful, and create a comfortable work environment. good part time job if you are a student or working another fulltime job
Fabulous and positive work environment... boring at times but the benefits outweighed any cons. The regulars were the best and I loved taking advantage of working out after my shift or taking new classes.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Boring at times
Managers were horrible. They were always having inappropriate conversations amongst themselves. They always pushed me to sell to as many people as I could that it created so much anxiety on me.
The GoodLife facilities are one of the only good things about the company. The Okotoks location is always hiring as they are recycling employees like empty bottles. The management is corrupt, and they form sides within the staff. Good if you get in their clique, bad if you don't like me who was forced to quit after just 4 months. I've participated in staff get together's where they constantly talk down on their jobs and the members. I will never refer this job to anybody who i care about. The work-life balance is horrible as they "Senior Motivator" is the only one who works mornings. Every other position is till 10 at night or overnights. The manager doesn't care about treating her staff equally and so you will constantly get in trouble for things that everyone else gets away with. In the 4 months that I was there, 3 people were fired and 3 people had quit to find something better. DO NOT SUPPORT GOODLIFE.
Pros
Meet lots of members
Cons
an average shift for me is usually about 5-6 hours and in that time I greet member at the front desk and help them with any kind of needs they need like how to use a certain machine or how to do a certain exercise etc. My favorite thing about working at goodlife is the people i work with and all the member that i get to see and speak with everyday.
they have really nice management and staff working there their very friendly they are always smile. they do a good job keeping the place clean and tidy.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
my lunch break could be longer
It was a motivating experience working with Good Life, everyone was incredibly happy. We had positive group meetings and always liked working together.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Night shift
This company is way too much of a corporate culture that doesn't care about its employees or its members. They constantly have new initiatives to try and get business that is often extremely shady. They expect far too much from sales and personal training staff and do not compensate them appropriately for their hard work and pressure from the job.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.