GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews for General Manager

General Manager34 reviews
Canada34 reviews
Overall GoodLife is a good company that trains their managers well and believes in an enjoyable culture.

The only thing I would say is that it's not for people who like any autonomy, you are strongly managed with meetings and phone calls with your DM 2-3 times DAILY. Yes your DM checks in on you a minimum of 3 times daily. I found this too much micro management personally.

It's a good company with a nice culture and good training but it's not for anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit.
Just like any other job out there you can have fun while you work at GoodLife, but it is important to stay on top of maintaining your goals at all times, and helping to encourage others you work with to do the same. You get to work with a variety of great people from all walks of life which is awesome.
Can be a great place to work, but expectations are too numerous. bringing health and wellness to members often takes a back seat to sales, Too much emphasis on accountability.
I had a great experience! They are respectful and have lots of training. Fun environment. Lots of insentives. You can win prizes and money. Great room for advancement.
Company was rightfully and successfully sued over mistreating associates and underpaying for hours of extra work. HR does nothing useful including failing to adequately investigate false allegations and failing to uncover the real perpetrators. Regional management heavily biased and discriminatory, grossly lacking integrity. Centralized administration that lacks common sense and leaves managers vulnerable and helpless. Propaganda machine running full steam, adopting staffing blueprint directly from large corporations to ensure its own self-preservation. Peak Revenue vs Peak Attitude, sweeping aside collateral losses from staff burn out.
GoodLife Fitness is a brand like no other in the fitness industry. Lots of work is asked from you however the benefit is you are working at the best gym when it comes to focus on members. It is very easy to take advantage and be focused on money made however when you get behind the vision you can truly make an impact on people.

Management is focused on bottom line and that is a shame as there used to be more focus on staff, associates and the bottom line.

Workplace culture is what you make of it. GoodLife supports culture as its foundation for success however the associates at every club make the culture.

The hardest part of the job is the demand on you as an associate. You are always in a growth mindset and sometimes the reward for hard work is lost as the company focuses on what could be better.

The best part of the job is the members, and creating good habits for people, helping them accomplish their goals.
Pros
Free membership, rewarding career, good work environment
Cons
poor work/life balance, financial compensation, poorly communicated changes
Expected to work 50-60 hour weeks and only get paid for 40. NO overtime. Expected to work after you are off, when you are home, up to 10:30 at night. Must be happy all the time, or "act happy"
Pros
other employees
Cons
hours, senior management, c-management, expectations
I have worked there for 6 years and loved the environments! I did a few different roles from fitness adviser to GM. GoodLife taught me a lot from leadership skills to sales skills and confidence.
Pros
staff discounts on PT
Cons
work life balance
Great atmosphere with good management. There was often incentives to promote work with employees. lots of recognition for good work. Constant training in the field.
Pros
reconition and training
Cons
sales pressre was tough at times
The culture was great and the staff were amazing. The role of which I played should have had better compensation based on my expectations. However, I was able to impact many people's lives and I am grateful for that.
Pros
staff and members
Cons
compensation
Good pay if your good at your job. Tons of opportunity for advancement. Really fun environment and if you manage time effectively great work life balance.
Pros
Fun environment, great culture.
Cons
Commission and bonus structure
great place to work if you have zero experience in anything as they basically hire anyone that applies for the sales position. unfortunately this is because they are always short staffed in this position due to the crazy high turnover. I don't need to spell out what high turnover is usually caused by. If you are good at your job the money can be pretty good and surprisingly the more successful you are the less work you have to do as management will basically hand all the easy sales to you. basic career path is fitness advisor-assistant GM/sales manager than GM. once you hit GM you will be there for 8-10 years minimum before the next position opens up. The job is unbelievably repetitive regardless of position.
Pros
money can be pretty good
Cons
Poor Management, Company seems to be going downhill having to do huge promotions every month now to hit goals.
At the current moment the company is going through some changes with the roles, so it's a little difficult to outline the daily duties. But typically I would arrive at 8:30 am and analyze stats and prepare for daily meetings. This would take me until about noon. Then I would have free time until 3 pm, where I do daily training with my sales team, followed by an afternoon call. From 4 pm to 6 pm I would be available for members. I enjoy the fact that I get to work out during my work day and GoodLife provides a lot of opportunity for people to grow.
A really fun atmosphere to work in. Great staff! The opportunity to make a boat load of commissions. The hardest part of the job is balancing your personal life with Goodlife's monthly membership goals.
Pros
fun atmosphere, with great people!
Cons
job security
My typical day would be meeting and greeting members. Making them feel at home. Over the years with GoodLife I have been in customer service and enjoying making new relationships.
Really enjoyed my time here. Great atmosphere. Good benefits and perks. Always felt supported from upper management. The culture was one of positivity - you do work hard but helping people and seeing them reach their goals is very rewarding!
Pros
Free Gym membership, Fun place to work, Good Pay
Lots of activity. Structure to help build your business. Tools are provided to make your business thrive. It is alot of work and if you tend to be a person who doesn't want to work this is not your job. You must be a people person and understand the value of hard work. The culture is fantastic and we have great monthly motivating sales launches. The hardest part of the job is outreach / street reach, trying to find ways to think outside the box to achieve leads for prospective opportunities.
I have nothing bad to say about this company, I believe it is like all company trying to make it in this world.
the company really care about the people that walk through the doors.
my focus is always to excel and go above and beyond any goal set.
I have always been a top performer in the entire company, something that isn't easy to accomplish, but completely consistent for myself.
Pros
time management
Cons
perfectionist
Fast paced environment with many competing demands. The biggest focus is on members, from acquiring members to keep them consistently coming into the club and providing options to leaving members as well.

Typical day (depending on the role) is meetings, interacting with members, providing tours, generating leads, calling prospective and current members, assisting members with questions regarding accounts and equipment, goal setting.

Most enjoyable part is being able to work with a team to impact the lives of canadians everyday. It is an extremely rewarding company to work for whenever you make a members day.
Pros
free membership, great team, build relationships
Cons
work/life balance
Withe every company I have worked with following and upholding company culture is important to me.
I enjoy working with people and helping them grow within the facility and believe in going the extra mile to help where I can.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.