GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Calgary, AB62 reviews
This company and job is what you make it. If you work hard and look for clients then you can generally make more money.
Benefits package for PT department is based on hours so if your sales skills are lacking (yes it is a sales position as well) then you pay a lot for benefits.
Pros
Commission
Benefits
Awful managment, the manager used to tell at us and throw pens.
Pay as a PT was like 30 dollars a day and if you wanted to earn more ofcuarse you needed to find your clients. Problem is that you have to stay there for 15 hours or so a day.
I love working as a Group Fitness Instructor and I hope to continue for many years, this is a part time position for me and helps me stay fit and healthy while helping others achieve their fitness goals
Just minded the children in the daycare. Was a nice experience. If I had the opportunity to do this job again, I’d love to do it. Also anything other opportunity for a job with the company I would see if I could I would.
-Very good and fair commission system but there is a little pressure to sell memberships.
- Limited advancement opportunities but if you hit your sales targets the remuneration is good for the job you do.
When the company first started building clubs in the west it was good to work here, as long as the work got done and the GMs are happy, life was good .. but now its adopting more of a by the numbers approach and I find my self doing way more papper work then physical work and this reflects as the GMs only care about numbers now
Working with potential members giving them fitness advice, and signing them up for a contracted memberships, personal training etc. You have to keep daily logs of leads you get each day and follow up with them.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
You are trying to compete with other gyms in the area
When I had first started I became really close with the current manager and we still talk six years later. That being said I think this is a great starting front desk position as the people you meet and the references you get are lifelong.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Annoying customers
- Most of the time was spent checking members in and telling them to have a great day
- I learned about the EXCEL computer program

- I also learned how to clean the club and make sure everything was organized

- Management was okay. Could have tried to apply what the workers wanted in terms of benefits and better club experience instead of just going around and handing out flyers

- Was expected to go out and try to get people into the gym but attempts were not good considering I had no other way to get around

- Most of the coworkers were super nice, some of the personal trainers were snoopy and snobbish

- I liked greeting the members and seeing the smile on their faces when they saw me. Really made my job worth it

- I did not like the unrealistic expectations of me trying to get referrals from people when all they wanted was to work out.

- I was expected to go out on my break to try and get more people in the gym.
Pros
Long-ish breaks
Cons
Long hours spent alone in the club
To make this short, GoodLife Fitness ended up on the losing end of a nationwide multi-million dollar lawsuit. The lawsuit was brought forth because they refused to pay employees for the full hours they worked, broke labor laws, refused to pay overtime, insisted on mandatory hours spent in the club that employees were never compensated for and fostered a work environment that was so toxic that the personal trainers in Toronto, Ontario unionized so they would get better working conditions and fair pay for the work they were doing.
Pros
Working with clients as a personal trainer
Cons
Working anywhere from 80-100 work weeks and only being compensated for 20-40 hours of it
A great place to work
Nice environment

Helps motivate me to work out and be more healthy

It was challenging dealing with some kids behaviours

Lots of fun!
Pros
You meet lots of people
Cons
Behaviour challenges
Fabulous and positive work environment... boring at times but the benefits outweighed any cons. The regulars were the best and I loved taking advantage of working out after my shift or taking new classes.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Boring at times
Goodlife was a great company minus they switched me around 4 locations and upper management left me feeling not supported. Over all it can be a good company if you like to be micro managed
They don’t treat you well. They don’t pay well. And they make your life horrible. Dont work here. Goodlife is a big box company that only cares about making money, not about the clients or the employees!
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, bad managers, no fun.
GoodLife was more concerned about the trainers making sales than actually helping their clients.
They also made it quite difficult to advance training levels unless your sales met a specific target - even though I had the education to be a higher level of trainer.
I loved working at goodlife fitness, I love the gym and everything hat came along with it. I ahd the passion and drive and really wished I still worked there but the hours and the money sucked for a single parent. omce they took away the daycare in the womens only I had to quit
Was constantly picked on from fellow staff, had to reach out to Human Resources in witch they did nothing because the other person was a top seller. Managers never helped with these problems.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hours no work life balance
I volunteered here for only a short period of time so I don't have much to say. I needed volunteer hours for graduation. I volunteered in the child care area and the kids were always cute and fun to be around.
Pros
volunteer hours
Cons
not paid
Loved the clients but it was a demanding job. Not much personal time, long hours and very competitive to sign clients. Co-workers were great and friendly environment.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
So I started working at GoodLife Fitness early December and I really enjoy my job. I work 8:30am-11:30am (the JUMP hours at my Club are 8:30-12) so it great with my school schedule as I go to university full time in the afternoons.

The scheduling is a bit different, as its posted for the whole next month a couple weeks before the month is over. So you really need to plan ahead and know your schedule a month in a bit in advance, which isn't always possible. Luckily there are staff members willing to pick up an extra shift or two, and switching shifts is easy and convenient.

I was blessed and I work with an amazing bunch of ladies who are caring, kind and super fun to work with. Plus they pass on their life experience with kids as they are all mothers (or grandmothers) and I do not have kids.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with screaming kids, but that's too be expected. And when its super busy as kids can be a handful. Being able to multi-task and having eyes in the back of your head is essential.

If you really enjoy working with kids, having a free gym membership (and a free one to give to a family/friend after 3 months) and a great school/life to work balance I really recommend this job.
Pros
free gym membership, short hours, great co-workers, great management, flexible scheduling
Cons
not a full-time position, minimum wage, screaming kids
there is a lot of great people that work with good life, I love working in the mornings at 4 am so that I can spend the day with my child. you deal with a lot of members that need help with there account so you need to think fast on your feet to get them answer without the managements help. i love what I do I don't agree with somethings that are happening at the moment
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.