GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Revenue focused, high pressure bully culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON11 January 2019
GoodLife is very focused on revenue....customer service, member satisfaction and employee satisfaction is very much less important. Regional management were bullies and they caused good people to leave with pressure. Patchs ways may have worked in the 90's but dont work now.
Members provide daily inspiration but sr managers provide daily pressure
The changes that happened in 2018 with Managers and Group Fitness were driven by greed and not member or employee satisfaction, ill planned and horrible execution.
Managers were overworked, under appreciated and taken for granted. Regional team had favs, and it was unfair the things that some got away with.
Having managers work extra days for not hitting goals, when managers have no say in the goal is crazy imho.
Reconsider working here as a manager.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Daily stress, micromanageed
Didn't like working here at all
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON8 January 2019
Managers were horrible. They were always having inappropriate conversations amongst themselves. They always pushed me to sell to as many people as I could that it created so much anxiety on me.
Live music and great purpose
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 January 2019
Help clients reach their goals putting a smile on their face.

Learning how to take care of one self and learning the salesmanship required to obtain clients.
Pros
live music
Cons
inconsistency in clientelle
Goodlife Fitness
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
It was a great experience for a part time university student. It taught me a lot about health and fitness with great job perks, like a free membership and free tanning.
Horrible Management with a money driven purpose
Motivator (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB7 January 2019
The GoodLife facilities are one of the only good things about the company. The Okotoks location is always hiring as they are recycling employees like empty bottles. The management is corrupt, and they form sides within the staff. Good if you get in their clique, bad if you don't like me who was forced to quit after just 4 months. I've participated in staff get together's where they constantly talk down on their jobs and the members. I will never refer this job to anybody who i care about. The work-life balance is horrible as they "Senior Motivator" is the only one who works mornings. Every other position is till 10 at night or overnights. The manager doesn't care about treating her staff equally and so you will constantly get in trouble for things that everyone else gets away with. In the 4 months that I was there, 3 people were fired and 3 people had quit to find something better. DO NOT SUPPORT GOODLIFE.
Pros
Meet lots of members
Fun workplace
Personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 January 2019
I had a great manager who was very supportive. The most enjoyable part of the job was changing the lives of clients, and engaging with them on a day to day basis.
Interesting expereince
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON4 January 2019
Goodlife does a great job and creating a up beat atmosphere. In terms of their membership structure, their transition into PAP or pre authorized payment on their memberships while not allowing credit cards is shady. From a sales perspective this creates a tough situation as people whom have late payments receive TWO charges(one form their bank and one from goodlife). This creates a very negative experience to members who would much rather just have a credit card on account.
Dramatic Workplace Environment Between Employees
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 December 2018
While the classes are fantastic to teach and events have fantastic turnout, there is so much drama between participants and instructors or instructors and other instructors or between participants themselves. It can get draining.
Fun workplace can be high stress at times
Senior Motivator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2018
Pay wasn't great but my job was not very hard and my position did not have performance goals. The membership sales people stress hard and some trainers spend their entire days in club. Work life balance for other positions would be lower.
Pros
always had great coworkers
Free gym membership with 8 hours volunteering at the time.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  North York, ON23 December 2018
At the time, I was in high school taking 4 courses per semester and couldn't guarantee 8 hours of volunteering a week so I left at the end of some time.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
needed to be 8 hours volunterring at the time.
Typical night shift
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB22 December 2018
- spend most of your night looking for things to keep yourself busy
- do a walk through of the gym every 2-3 hours
- clean towels nightly
It was a good place to learn
personal trainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2018
I learned a lot about the business of personal training, how to personal train and sign clients. I found the work/life balance challenging as they wanted me to be at the gym all the time.
Good
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 December 2018
Takes a while to build your business.Start from scratch and need to gain your own clients. You are basically self employed but they take most of the earnings.
terrible
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 December 2018
Terrible company from top to bottom, unpaid wages long hours and unrealistic sales expectations. Good life packs each location with more trainers than it needs and pushes each trainer to sell devaluing quality and increasing their potential profit.
Good but can be better
Fitness Advisor/ Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON3 December 2018
hours are harsh but if you grind, you will make lots of money. You need to have high energy everyday if you want to succeed. This is a sales job so you need to make sure you are always ready to grind. Speaking with many gym members inside will definitely help you earn more sales.
Cutthroat
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2018
The people working at goodlife are what made the job tolerable. The management is ridiculous, have ridiculous quotas and do not care for their employees, only the bottom line
Great environment
Overnight Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB22 November 2018
I worked the night shift, which was the only down side to the job.
Management was amazing and very outgoing to keep everyone happy. Working the day shifts there is a lot of fun, everyone is so friendly.
Pros
Great team
Cons
not great work / life balance if you are working overnight
its great
Front Desk Motivator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2018
it's great. there is a lot of room for advancement and communication is on point. the hardest part is dealing with a couple of upset members (sometimes theft or if you are at a downtown location a lot of crazy people).
Be prepared for super combative employees and no work life balancd
Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC13 November 2018
Pros: Room for advancement

Cons: Employees are super combative/uncooperative/lazy. no work life balance at all. messages for sick/unable to come to shift everyday from employees so you end up having to work. When asked to upper management you basically get told that everyone has to do it for a few months before the work schedule/work-life balanceis normal.

Fair warning to the new manager at Langley so you are more prepared then I was
Avoid if possible
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Alberta6 November 2018
I joined the company and was excited to finally work at a corporation that lives by the core values they advertise. I was constantly hammered with how much GoodLife cares, and how the core values are at the heart of everything the company does. Of course, I was naive to believe something that.

GoodLife cares only about the dollars you make them. I have seen the emails corporate has sent to members who have had to deal with family medical emergencies, a long process, 6+ months, that end with the family member dying. The member froze their personal training they had but due to the length of the issues it went over the max allowed freeze time. There is much more to this story but the long and short of it is that if there is a policy, corporate GoodLife simply does not care. Which causes undue frustration for the managers and staff at the gyms when they have to pass on this info to these members. It breaks my heart when I have to tell people they have to pay even more money to buy out of something they want to keep because corporate would rather stick to their policies than to listen to the needs of their members who want to keep giving the company their money.

Another fun thing is their sales targets... There are clubs that haven't hit their targets in years and are a revolving door of managers, however corporate will raise the sales targets even though the previous targets weren't hit. It's the definition of insanity - to expect different results without enacting any change or evaluating the targets they are setting. I guess someone has to justify their salary.

I would
  more... highly recommend looking at your personal values before you sign a contract with the company. While you will definitely find a handful of managers that are amazing individuals, it is without a doubt that they are not amazing because of GoodLife, but in spite of GoodLife and not letting GoodLife break them of what makes them amazing individuals.

To be fair, they do have a good management training which is worth going through if you are already in the company and have the opportunity. However the amount of BS that you must wade through to get the training makes it difficult to deal with at times. They also preach about "THE WHY" behind why they do what they do, but corporate never has an answer for things like "why is my sales target set this way?" or "why are top performers not held accountable to the company core values?" (to be fair again, it's all about $$$ and if you make it for them, they will protect you to the ends of the earth)

I would not recommend working for them if you can help it. I should have listened to my gut when I got the job offer, but it's hard to find a job in the current economy. Just don't expect to much and you might be ok.
Pros
Free Membership, Good management training program
Cons
Stress, Politics, Drama, protecting top performers when they violate core values

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.