GoodLife Fitness Clubs

GoodLife Fitness Clubs Employee Reviews

Canada912 reviews
Great work culture with lots of perks and room to move around. They cap your wage after a certain period. If you like sales, goodlife is the place for you (there is a lot of room to make money if you're good at selling).

Personal trainers should get paid more.

Overall, decent place to work!
Pros
Free membership plus 1 extra, friendly co workers, meet lots of new people, relaxed atmosphere, provided T shirt uniforms, discounted personal training packages, easy to transfer clubs
Cons
Air conditioning gets really cold after a while, some members can be hard to deal with, minimum wage
Although I love being a trainer and helping people working for a corporation is not worth it. The people I worked with are amazing and I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who had knowledge and experience of 8+ years working for the company but there were also a lot of negatives that came with this job.
You need to be really good at selling and sometimes it can take months - years to build up a steady business of clients who are committed to staying with you for a few years. Overall the environment is relaxing but it’s common to hear the phrase “overworked and underpaid” working for this company and the shock that most clients get knowing their trainers are getting paid a quarter of what the gym makes. They also don’t always have amazing management staff and throw a lot of people who are inexperienced into the job.

It can be a rewarding job but go into it with experience or at least learn from it and fly solo after a couple years.
Pros
Fun, Can be relaxing, Rewarding and educational
Cons
Overworked-underpaid, Sometimes inexperienced managers, first year or two is stressful
A typical day at good life fitness would be pretty easy. First I would enter the jump room but if I'm early I would sit in the massage chairs for a little bit. After entering the jump room I would turn on the lights and un-stack the chairs and wait for the first wave of kids to come, when they came I would help them find a toy and I would play with them. If there were a lot of kids we would sometimes play a group game like what time is it Mr.wolf or hide and seek.
Pros
free membership
GoodLife is a fun, competitive environment where you are constantly pushed to learn, grow and develop as an individual. My boss cares about us as people as well as our performance in the workplace. The most difficult part of this job is maintaining your hours and ensuring you are able to keep a full clientele. You get to have personal and professional relationships with all different kinds of people, many of whom you grow to really enjoy and befriend. Most of the Associates are friendly individuals who are supportive and outgoing. The pay is very fair and there is always room for advancement as well as achieving bonuses/commissions.
Pros
Commission/bonuses, fun work environment, extremely supportive manager, create your own schedule
Cons
Days can get really long if you schedule them that way, you may not have much room for breaks if you aren't careful, it can be difficult to ensure you are keeping up with current education/fitness trends
I had spoken to numerous personal trainers about the job before deciding to join GoodLife. I wanted so badly to make it work. I put in an incredible amount of hours for the company and spent a lot of money on courses to better myself. At the end of the day, I was not treated well for all the work I was doing. Management would yell at me for no reason, I would not be paid for work that was done, and management would turn a blind eye to shady operations within the company. I really wanted to work in the fitness industry because it's something I'm passionate about. But passion doesn't make up for the lack of money and terrible treatment.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No health benefits, little vacation time
Terrible place to work, would never recommend to anyone. They treat you like replaceable trash and have terrible work culture. If you don't produce numbers, you're written up and fired.
Was in sales very competitive a lot of pressure to bring in members too many one on one meetings would go through potential time to go out and advertise
Great culture and if you can surpass sales targets it can be quite quite lucrative. I was a top 500 performer for 5 years and won free trips to attended sales awards every year in Toronto. Good perks and managed well from all levels
Love doing the work that I do, but my associates do not necessarily share the same sentiments. I take on a lot of responsibilities that should be shared and these behaviours are not corrected by management. A lot of the times we get flack for some amenities taking a long time to fix but are out of our hands as we wait for parts to come in so the people fixing them may do their repairs. Handing complaints can be tough but the regulars that come by make everything worth it. I improve customer service skills, learned how to reject people kindly and stand my ground to protect patrons' safety from those who try to take advantage of the system.
Awesome work place. Management and coworkers are amazing. Very flexible schedule. Everyone works as a team from trainers to receptionist. The members are great. Best place I've worked.
I have nothing but good things to say about working for Goodlife. The management, education opportunities, benefits, career advancement opportunities and fulfillment you get from this job are all fantastic. Your salary really is dependant upon the hours you put in, and your client acquisition, but if you need help and need to get better there is always someone willing to help get you there. The hours can be long especially when dealing with a lot of clients, but every day moves fast, and is extremely enjoyable despite the long hours. Amazing job
I had done an internship for GoodLife fitness, overall it was a very good experience to learn more about the culture and job. It was a totally new work environment by had a great team to work with.
Acceptable employer in general however fairness etc depends on who you work directly with. Advancement often goes to personal friendships first which can be frustrating. Overall just a paycheck at the end of the day unfortunately despite effort made on my part to change that.
The company is making changes to allow management to have more work/life balance. Passion and culture is good. Huge opportunity for advancement in the company.
Pros
Fun, good culture, learn a lot
Cons
Stress of sales
As trainers you have to find your own clients, and are only paid for the time with those clients no hours in between so you are mostly working mornings and evenings with very little pay inbetween.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Great place to work if you are a student.
Flexible with hours.

Opportunity of meeting many different people.

Employees are friendly.

If you have the chance to work in the daycare, you'd love it as the kiddies are adorable.
i dont know about other locations but the staff for the most part that i have worked with have been amazing. management can at times be iffy but i have no complaints for this part-time job
Most of the people from employees to customers are great to deal with. Some managers can be difficult but overall I would recommend working at GoodLife to anyone.
The head office is beautiful, collaborative, and has a great company culture. The meeting rooms are unique, there's quiet space to work if you need. The people are amazing, the culture is wonderful. There's an onsite gym that you have access to. Managers and Senior Executives are accessible and happy to chat with everyone around. Best place I've ever worked!
Working for Goodlife may not be the easiest sales role, however if you’re willing to put time & effort into building your own client base everything will be fine. Consistent sales success within the company leads to promotion.
GoodLife is a culture company. We work by our core values on a daily basis, which we transpire this to our new and current members. always have a set goal for each month
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.