GoodLife Fitness Clubs

• Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Ability to learn new things

Long work hours

Great place to start off your career in the fitness industry. Very long work hours so you probably won't stay long. No work life balance. Confusing pay structure that benefits company but not employee.

Sales driven

You are only as good as your last day worked. Unrealistic sales goals. Poor management. Heavy on office politics. No one is actually qualified to manage/ train clientele

This is not a job for personal trainers. It s for sales

Sales oriented. Nothing is good except getting a free gym membership. Talents and efforts regarding fitness are definitely not cherished. Low pay cant support my living at all

Not worth it

GoodLife expects so much from their staff but can't be bothered to pay a living wage . Fitness advisor position is a glorified telemarketer you just harass people with calls all day and the commission you make is nothing compared to the commission GoodLife makes off the membership . There is no overtime and no work life balance as you are expected to be there for 9 hours but only get paid for 8 because of your hour long lunch break . The environment itself was super toxic and a revolving door as everyone leaves as soon as a better opportunity comes up.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Everything else

Toxic work environment

Poor management. Low pay for what is expected of you. Very nice regular members, they were what made the job enjoyable and having a free membership. Only recommend if you are a teen or college student wanting a free membership and are okay with making minimum wage.

Fun pre covid

As a sales person with GoodLife pre pandemic I made the most money I ever have. You gets lots of coaching and training. It's a multi billion dollar corporation, if you follow the script you get sales. It's when you think you know more than the script that you get into problems. The commission was on a scale so you had to sell enough units to reach a level where your commission is visible. But once you reached a good level your commission was very fair

Pros

Fun, energetic, ability to make a lot of money

Cons

It was a ton of work. Not always fun. Cold calling and lead generation is hard

do your research

It can be a great place to work but your direct supervisors may destroy that with favouritism. Members are generally good (like any job dealing with the public). Expect to work extra hours if you are in any sales position (esp at month end or if your boss decides you haven't been working hard enough).

Not great experience

Had several issues with management that weren't taken care of by head office after several incidents. Manger stealing PT commissions, not knowing how to train clients and staff in any capacity, very sales pushy and refused to pay for work that was suppose to be. Okay for very beginner trainers but definitely not the place to make a career. I would never tell a client to go to a place like this.

Pros

Free membership

Cons

Long hours, little pay, terrible management

No transparency or processes

I had great times working for GoodLife. Unfortunately, clubs and leaders are the best of mediocrity. They do not want to be transparent around club and leadership processes, wages, employment, advancement and many other things. There is favouritism in all ranks of the organization and if you are not cozied up to the right people you cannot get ahead. If you are thinking about working here, run away, to any other club or studio.

Pretty good place to work

Most positions are relatively fun, but don't pay that well. Need some basic computer skills and know how to be friendly to work at the front desk. Management varies by club.

Decent but boring job

Coworkers are usually pretty good especially if you're someone who likes to workout you'll always have someone to talk to. The customers can be entitled but there are cool regulars that you get to see often. Not a bad first job at all plus you get a free membership which is always nice. They are also pretty flexible with the hours they can give you.

Relaxed

Child minding was an easy and relaxed job in the mornings, evenings were busier and crazy.Good part time for students or Mamas with small children as you can bring them to work with you.

Pros

Free Gym

Cons

Poor pay

Fun place to work at

Managers were always willing to help and listen to the staffs needs. I preferred the Womens Club over the Markville Mall Club. The Womens Club they were supportive versus the Markville Mall Club was competitive. Overall the management team gave valuable insight and there wasn’t too much pressure to sell. Fun atmosphere when doing group exercises.

Great coworkers, good job, awful management.

I enjoyed my coworkers and the job but management was awful. I was told we could work around my school schedule when I accepted the job and was then scheduled for far more shifts than I agreed to. Management was also very petty, a lot of pining coworkers against each other and gossiping. Clear favouritism and preferential treatment for certain employees.

You can learn a lot and then move on

Very fun environment to work in but it can be tough since you have to hit a specific goal each month. Recommend it to people who want to start learning how to work for corporate

Very good place to work.

I currently am employed at GoodLife. I overall enjoy the atmosphere I work in as it has been very welcoming from the start. Management has been great from the start and they really care about their employees. The hours can be long sometimes but honestly when you look forward to going into work every day that’s something you don’t really think about.

Pros

Free gym membership, nice members and staff members

Cons

Early start sometimes, can get stressful at some points.

Bad management and representatives

Overall it was a not so good not soo bad experience. Learned a bit from their base camp. Training was overlooked and judged most of the time because of my experience. Managers always thought they knew more then me but were still learning how to manage themselves. Thought to respect someone who slept with clients, staff and anyone that was a male.

Productive, fast-paced and well-meaning environment.

Lovely coworkers and great teammates. Management can be slightly unorganized and unprofessional but overall I had a good time working there. Good tasks for pay rate, good company, and good training. Had a good time there.

Toxic and Miserable

Goodlife Fitness is the type of company that pretends to care about you they do this thing where they get you to set goals and pretend to care about your personal life in hopes to try to get you to sell their product at an unrealistic standpoint and pit employees against each other creating a toxic work environment. The expectations to sell personal training is just unrealistic they put a lot of pressure on their fitness advisors to bring in new business and for their personal training department. The Sales tactics are also very pushy and outdated nobody wants to be interrupted in their day-to-day once a month to hear from some dude who sold you a gym membership a while back its just annoying.

Good… for a month

It was good to work for this company until they started to ask us to interrupt people’s workouts and make cold calls. They give you a small room with merely two computers to share with a dozen other colleagues and just want you to sell, sell, sell….. competition for sales is really high and the other pts end up hating you for your successes. I haven’t kept in touch with any of these people, had to quit because the place was absolutely toxic

Fun and sociable environment

Definitely a great job if you are sociable and enjoy speaking with members. It's also great for improving your communication skills when you have to convey members concerns to management via email

Pros

Free gym membership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GoodLife Fitness Clubs. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement