GoodLeaf Farms

GoodLeaf Farms Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews
Often have the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging tasks in all areas of the business, sometimes requiring the development of new skills.

Good workplace culture, friendly, experienced coworkers.

High level of flexibility depending on position, company allows for work absences for appointments, etc.

The nature of GoodLeaf being a start-up/scale-up company means that there are often unexpected challenges, and access to resources can be a challenge. Some find this hard to deal with, others enjoy the ebb and flow.

Recommended to those with the ability to quickly adapt to change, and who can handle periods of uncertainty. It is a fast-paced, though rewarding environment.
GoodLeaf is a high tech indoor vertical farm.
Great atmosphere and amazing employees. High pace but not stressful.

I am very happy to have found GoodLeaf, very good fit for me. This is a new Commodity to Canada and there specialty products are incredible!
I would suggest everyone to work here, you'll meet wonderful people from all age groups working together to achieve common goals for our community. At first you'll feel nervous but once everyone starts talking to you and getting to know eachother; you'll feel home. Sure the job can be repetitive, but I'll repeat doing this job over any other repetitive jobs out there. It's up to the individual to climb up the ladder of success at GoodLeaf and everyone will push you to achieve those goals.
So much potential. Unfortunately potential doesnt pay the bills. Most of us cant afford an apartment in Guelph. You will be expected to take on more and more responsibility with no additional compensation. You will be overlooked, unless you are one of the lucky few.
Cons
Terrible hours, unless you are management.
Very boring, management is horrible. Unprofessional. Both set ups lack leadership skills by far. They don’t follow the PPE or anything. They slack off and you sit around waiting for work constantly. Coworkers act like your friend then just trash you behind your back. Very small workplace (probably 15 people on each shift) so you hear the bad comments coming back to you about yourself and others. Everyone is snobby and arrogant. So many aspects they need to improve.
I was excited to get the job here because I thought it was a fancy greenhouse. it's a factory and the closest you get to plants is cleaning leaves off the floor.

typical day: arrive at 530, have coffee in lunch room, get in uniform and go through procderes like washing hands and hairnet, then go to assigned workstation for the day.

management is very weird. they act like a buddy to you but then you hear them comaplingin about you. lots of rules about cleaning and pathogens but lead hands pick stuff off the floor without washing their hands. no feedback on your work but only manager's faverotes get raises which isn't fair.

initially people are really nice and friendly, all everyone says is 'the work sucks but I like the people, I stay for the people' but everyone seems to quit in a month or 3. you have to hang out with the same group all the time or you end up by yourself and nobody tells you they wen ton lunch.

hardest part is you're always cold or wet or sweaty and covered in dust. gloves always running out, not enough jackets. you do the same thing over and over, just pressing a button or cleaning the floor non stop.

best part of the job is you finish at 4 and have Friday and weekend off altho they are now bullying people into doing overtimes and rotating 12 hour shifts. you sign a contract which makes you agree they can change your schedule last minute. they are really desperate for people to stay because everyone quits even the higher ups so it's easy to keep a job. you ca n be late a lot.
Management can be very rude and unorganized. Nothing to do there, won't be in production for another 3-4 months, you will stand around all day with nothing to do, nobody will give you something to do and no instruction, then get in trouble from management for not doing anything. Horrible communication skills, not the job they say it is and don't actually give you what they offer, supposed to get a review with a raise 3 months after you start and never happens, benifits aren't worth the time, horrible pay for the bordem of the job. Management, and the 'office people' are very rude to the workers, don't have any respect for us, plus no HR administration. When you start I had to quckily read through all the employee information including the information about benifits, time off, paid sick days etc, don't get a copy to bring home and it isn't posted anywhere. The only good part of this job is the employees working with you, generally very nice, friendly, and if you need anything the team leads will help you with anything. I highly recommend to not work here, messed up place.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Horrible and rude management
the most well staffed place I've ever worked at, excellent managers from top to bottom very pleased with how great everything has been and can't believe some of the negative reviews this has and I know who ever posted them did not realize how lucky and great of a chance they really had. Goodleaf is a amazing enviroment
period .
Pros
great opportunity being a start up company, filled with great people .
New technology, collaborative leadership with clearly defined company goals and objectives. Purpose-driven where you feel your input is greatly appreciated and valued. A great place to work with a group of experts in their field.
Pros
Collaborative, purpose led, engaged workforce
Exciting new farming technology, learned a bit about hydroponic farming, but the management lacks professionalism and decorum. Very pompous and pretentious staff; if you don't know anything about hydroponics going in you are condescended to by staff and management. No room for motivated individuals here as there is a definite lack of work ethic displayed by senior staff and coworkers.
Pros
Cons
Immature, aggressive management.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at GoodLeaf Farms?
Harvesting takes place Monday to Wednesday in a cold room. The leafy greens are cut by the harvester and then taken up on a belt into a bin. Workers take the bin and then pack the product into clamshells. I learned a bit about vertical farming but overall not much. The management is poor due to "micromanaging". The workplace culture had a negative atmosphere and lacked communication. The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent hours - you never knew when you were going to get off and this could make it very tiring. The standing on cement and in the cold for many hours is also detrimental to the body. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with specific co-workers that were fun and made you laugh.
Pros
Shorter work week.
Cons
Micromanagement, long hours, negative atmosphere.
New ideas great opportunities very interesting
cleanliness and sanitization were very important and the company maintained a very high quality assurance program.
Pros
learned new skills
Cons
needs better management new company