Good Shepherd Centres
Good Shepherd Centres Employee Review

Comfortable Chaos

26 January 2018
the day to day work was comfortable in the administration office.
It was relaxed and the work life balance was very good. However it was clear the direction of the organization was continually being driven without the proper planning necessary to make smooth changes. This caused a fair amount of confusion and a drain on financial resources. Considering it is a non profit organization relying on funds from the government and donors from the community, you cannot be sure that your job will be guaranteed. If they are required to cut costs in order to make budget, they will not hesitate to lay off employees.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Job Security
6 July 2020
Core values at it's worst is how I describe the toxic work environment within this organization both Good Shepherd and Shelter Health Network. Boss after boss after boss, noone has your back. Depreciated and undervalued quickly after hire. Managers and Directors are clueless what your job description is. High turnover of staff. Noone cares! Mary's Place Manager filed a complaint against me for fighting to get an 82 year old woman off the street into a shelter when I was told she didn't qualify, she had no shelter!!!!! My own lead harrassed me and taunted all my coworkers to write up things on me to get me out the door. All because I was too good for this place and always put my patients and clients first. My director knew of these allegations made it look like she stood by me. I WAS GIVEN A 5 STAR REVIEW with almost a 5.00/hr increase last Nov 2019 with a change of job title. Soon after I was 11 days short of 1 year probation and terminated abruptly with no cause because my new lead felt I was a threat. The position was demoted again so this proves to me how devalued this position is. I hope the new COO will investigate into the problems and low values because the management have none. Mental health is badly affected within 6 months of working fir Good Shephard.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Lead, Director Manager and HR
27 June 2020
I worked at Good Shepherd Women's Services for almost five years. They will work you and make you do things that no human should have to do. I had a peer have to clean a miscarriage that was so far along, they bought a casket for the baby. I personally had to feed a person with MS who was paralyzed from the neck down with no training - I tried to decline unsafe work and the manager told me no. I had to clean a broken colonoscopy bag and the woman was hep c positive, we have to clean bodily fluids all the time with no proper training with people we know are hep c or HIV positive. No management support. The manager of Mary's Place doesn't know what she is doing, doesn't support her workers, barely comes out of her office, makes sure she takes her lunch but never lets anyone else take theirs, makes decisions that put her workers in hugely unsafe situations. The manager at Martha House is good but you can tell she is burnt out. She doesn't support her workers. The organization plays favourites. The new director has done terrible things and lies to cover herself. She never says hi to anyone, and does the bare minimum work. Always outside smoking. You can see on her instagram she is always taking selfies of herself promoting her side hustle. Super shady. Expect to be verbally, emotionally and potentially physically assaulted by clients all the time. The force you to do doubles as well all the time when you first start. No breaks. I quit a fulltime, unionized, benefits, matched up to 3% rrsp because of the horrifying conditions. I had to go to therapy and was diagnosed with PTSD and - more...
25 May 2020
Same location
Worked at one of there homes for almost 20 yrs had to leave as new director took over, and it became a toxic work environment. The brothers of Good Shepard should be ashamed of themselves, they are disgusting and disgraceful to let this happen, as a lot of long time staff left there.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Centres. Our community is ready to answer.
1.9