Good Shepherd Centres

Good Shepherd Centres Employee Reviews

Core values at it's worst is how I describe the toxic work environment within this organization both Good Shepherd and Shelter Health Network. Boss after boss after boss, noone has your back. Depreciated and undervalued quickly after hire. Managers and Directors are clueless what your job description is. High turnover of staff. Noone cares! Mary's Place Manager filed a complaint against me for fighting to get an 82 year old woman off the street into a shelter when I was told she didn't qualify, she had no shelter!!!!! My own lead harrassed me and taunted all my coworkers to write up things on me to get me out the door. All because I was too good for this place and always put my patients and clients first. My director knew of these allegations made it look like she stood by me. I WAS GIVEN A 5 STAR REVIEW with almost a 5.00/hr increase last Nov 2019 with a change of job title. Soon after I was 11 days short of 1 year probation and terminated abruptly with no cause because my new lead felt I was a threat. The position was demoted again so this proves to me how devalued this position is. I hope the new COO will investigate into the problems and low values because the management have none. Mental health is badly affected within 6 months of working fir Good Shephard.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Lead, Director Manager and HR
I worked at Good Shepherd Women's Services for almost five years. They will work you and make you do things that no human should have to do. I had a peer have to clean a miscarriage that was so far along, they bought a casket for the baby. I personally had to feed a person with MS who was paralyzed from the neck down with no training - I tried to decline unsafe work and the manager told me no. I had to clean a broken colonoscopy bag and the woman was hep c positive, we have to clean bodily fluids all the time with no proper training with people we know are hep c or HIV positive. No management support. The manager of Mary's Place doesn't know what she is doing, doesn't support her workers, barely comes out of her office, makes sure she takes her lunch but never lets anyone else take theirs, makes decisions that put her workers in hugely unsafe situations. The manager at Martha House is good but you can tell she is burnt out. She doesn't support her workers. The organization plays favourites. The new director has done terrible things and lies to cover herself. She never says hi to anyone, and does the bare minimum work. Always outside smoking. You can see on her instagram she is always taking selfies of herself promoting her side hustle. Super shady. Expect to be verbally, emotionally and potentially physically assaulted by clients all the time. The force you to do doubles as well all the time when you first start. No breaks. I quit a fulltime, unionized, benefits, matched up to 3% rrsp because of the horrifying conditions. I had to go to therapy and was diagnosed with PTSD and - more...
Worked at one of there homes for almost 20 yrs had to leave as new director took over, and it became a toxic work environment. The brothers of Good Shepard should be ashamed of themselves, they are disgusting and disgraceful to let this happen, as a lot of long time staff left there.
First off, loved my co-workers. Second, management doesn't care about you. Management constantly understaffed my department and instead grinds the current staff to the point of finding my co workers literally crying in a corner. Also, considering the amount of funding and donations they receive, they pay less than the other shelters in Hamilton.
"People leave managers not organizations... turnover is mostly a manager issue."

People have limited commitment here. There so much staff turnover, It is unbelievable and absolutely alarming. And the thing that gets me most is that management always has a way to put the blame on the person who leaves or goes on leave. Somehow it's their failing that they couldn't live up to the ridiculous expectations and conditions. Management can't take responsibility for their own problems.

We need a union here so bad but everyone is too scared to talk about it openly. The only way we can give feedback to management is to put up a review on a website. They really need t0 clean house of the so-called 'leadership team' This isn't what real management looks like, because Intimidation and disrespect arent daily management strategies.
Nice place to do volunteer, management is very humble and they help you all the time understand the process. Duties are all about food bank organizations, helping different types of people with their needs.
it was a good place it was an enjoying place. open your mind, get ready to work and be confronted in unique situations that you never thought you were capable of.
Staff are overworked, under appreciated, and expected to be endlessly available for everything. Management has a real disdain for the workers, and generally treats staff very poorly. Absolutely would not recommend working there.
Former PSW. Overworked and underpaid. Toxic environment. Unappreciative management and bullying HR staff. Will take years for any kind of advancement and even when you get there it's not worth it. Good for a very limited time to gain some palliative experience but get out ASAP. Go nowhere job only.
Worked there for years and without any notice was laid off due to “funding cuts”. GS uses funding that is allotted for programs and does whatever they want with it. Management/Directors are clueless and any feedback that staff provide them with goes nowhere. Staff are overworked and under appreciated. The culture is toxic and GS claim to be a huge support in the community however when it comes to there staff they are disposable and not valued. So happy to be gone and working in a much better workplace.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Good Shepherd Centres?
Disorganized, toxic, no advancement opportunities, staff is overworked underpaid and underappreciated, management is clueless, staff are expected to be an on demand service. Expect to not have a lunch break or even a bathroom break. High turnover rate and high burnout rate. Good learning experience for new SW/SSWs just don't expect to actually receive training, productive feedback, or any guidance.
FAMILY CENTRE: Poor management. Every co-worker is for themselves... not a team effort. Too many tasks for the role vs. The pay. Needs to be more organized and efficient. BUT at the end of the day, the work done with the clients is excellent.
I worked for the company for years! It was so disorganized and there was no communication at all!! They don’t respect timelines and not a good job for a go-getter!!
Pros
Good benefits and comparable pay
Cons
Disorganization
the day to day work was comfortable in the administration office.
It was relaxed and the work life balance was very good. However it was clear the direction of the organization was continually being driven without the proper planning necessary to make smooth changes. This caused a fair amount of confusion and a drain on financial resources. Considering it is a non profit organization relying on funds from the government and donors from the community, you cannot be sure that your job will be guaranteed. If they are required to cut costs in order to make budget, they will not hesitate to lay off employees.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Job Security
The best part about working here is how rewarding it is to see the youth succeed especially after having a rough start. My coworkers are the most supportive and interesting group of people I have met. Same with the management team, they check in always, and encourage you to take breaks even when there seems to be no time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Good Shepherd Centres. Our community is ready to answer.
1.9