Golf Town

Golf Town Employee Reviews

Canada102 reviews
Over my year of working at golf Town, I learnt so much about golf clubs, the game of golf, and about sales. The friendly staff make everyday coming to work enjoyable, plus the perks on golf gear is unmatched!
Expect a competitive, stressful environment with very high expectations for bonuses. Cuts to pay for all management positions below store manager make pay on the low side of the scale.
Low staffing levels (three people to cover 17,000 square feet) mean as a manager you can expect to put in upwards of 17,000 steps a day.

Upper Management could learn a lot by taking the Respect in the Workplace course.
Pros
Fun customers, fun helping people with their golf game
Cons
staff levels, competitive environment, bullying.
You don't get paid what you're worth for a fast paced business. I am a very reliable & hard worker but they don't appreciate all I have done. Wouldn't recommend this place for anyone to work unless you're ok with minimum wage.
My experience with the company is not the best , I started a year ago , but did not get a raise, the company basically pay well to the assistant managers and the managers . While all the work is on sales associate and cashier
Great place to work, lots of training provided and friendly staff. Most of day consists helping customers and the there erst of the day you are cleaning and taking care of the store.
Bon type de travail étudiant, aucunement stressant et l'ambiance est agéable
j'ai appris de nouvelles techniques de réparations et ce en pas beaucoup de temps
A professional and efficient workplace with friendly employees. Amazing customer service and fast pace business. I worked in cash and was also a sales associate. Regular customers so you create bonds and work friendly relationships with each customer. The store has high expectations so visuals and customer service are key in this position. Overall a great experience so far!
Working at golf town felt very sexiest and not welcoming with the management team. did not care for the employees as well as they should. not so good.
Great job for a golfer. Good discounts, and opportunities to make connections in the golf industry. Had the opportunity to play some of the nicest golf courses in Canada through connections made.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Golf Town?
It was always nice coming into work with the excellent staff, customers and atmosphere. One of the jobs I enjoyed the most, and lasted the longest. Good place to work overall.
i had some medical problems and my manager did get mad at me and told me to reconsider the job because i could not show up to certain shifts. i used to work 3-4 shifts and now i work one shift every two weeks
My experience at Golf Town was inherently mixed and bittersweet. I was with the company on and off from 2005 to late 2014 - a heady time indeed. I was there during the company's “Wild West” like, expansionistic heyday under its original founder and leadership team, when stores were opening across the country, vendor support was constant, customer needs came first (the costs be damned), and for all intents Golf Town was the golf store of record in Canada (1999-2010, roughly). Sadly, though, I was also there during a time of huge transformational shift, aimless cost-cutting that ultimately took the company's soul, best people, and viability, and spineless failures among senior leadership figures (2010-2014+). On the one hand, I had the privilege of working with some of the most motivated colleagues and managers I will ever meet. These were people who professionalized the retail sales role every minute that they were on the job - and our customers knew it. On the other hand, by the time I left the company had become dominated by a caricatured, penny-pitching retail approach imposed by the leadership of then-owner OMERS, by ruthless decision-making from company executives only looking to advance themselves, and instances of disturbingly inconsiderate and unprofessional behaviour by a few store-level managers allowed to run amok at their locations. Golf Town subsequently experienced even worse, after I left, as it ended up in partial bankruptcy proceedings by the late 2010s. I heard stories about some people I worked with - first-rate, deeply loyal employees and gifted teambuilders - more...
Always something to do, very friendly staff and management that are willing to work with your schedule for school or with another job. They give people a chance who do not know much about golf.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Slow during winter months
I was only on contract helping out with one customer
Learnt how to use Sage and staff all very helpful

Plenty of work to keep busy in a typical day

Workplace culture was very good
loved working there, no complaints about staff or management, all around inviting environment. gained a lot of product knowledge. through the off season not much to do, just sat around doing almost nothing.
A good thing of working at Golf Town is the job culture with all the members of the staff.
And the hardest part of the job is sometimes dealing with customers.
Compagnie un peu désorganisé mais très stimulante. Bon avantages sociaux et travaillé avec des gens passionnés
Pros
prix a gagné
Cons
Horaires difficiles
Good place to work as an avid golfer. Not much room for advancement. Work life and personal life are not easily interchangeable. Very strict guidelines which is good for some, not for others. The people you work with are generally very easy to get along with.
Fun place to work. Still waiting on them to distribute prizes to some of the contest winners. Seems they keep pushing the deadline back as a way to avoid actually having to pay out the prizes. All in all, worth applying to but don’t get your hopes up for any “rewards”.
I've learned a lot about the corporate industry being at Golf Town head office. The management was great to work for and is very supportive with their employees. I've worked there for over 7 years and have learn almost every position in the company, therefore making me quite knowledgeable with the retail industry.