Goldfish Swim School Oakville

Goldfish Swim School Oakville Employee Reviews

Very good training process and experience. The biggest thing needed to work on is their break time. Staff should be given more time in between lessons. Shift coverage is also an issue but what can you expect working with teenager coworkers.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
No breaks
Having worked for the City for the past few years the pay isn’t obviously as great here, it’s a private company so I get it, the city pools were closed so I took this opportunity and I don’t regret it. I know the owners have changed and I do t see anything that would put me off working here, great team and some I school with, fun and colourful environment. If you like teaching kids this is the place to be.....
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Pay
Working at Goldfish has been a great experience for me. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The recent change in management has changed the work atmosphere for the better. The managers are very approachable and supportive. Working with kids is great, instructors do not have to do lesson plans or assessments of students. Advancement opportunities are frequently available. I have greatly appreciated their flexibility with hours and taking time off.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
pay rates with town/city are higher
The management here is so double standard and two-faced, the dont care at all about you as an employee. They only care about reaching there goals for sign up. Zero concerns about there staff or the families that they see. Every day is a horrible experience here, you will be trained on how to do a task a certain way, then get yelled at and pretty much told that your stupid for doing it that way. There are not open to working around school scheduls or hours, only had 3 shifts a week, each was 3 hours long, its not enough hours to pay for human life
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, no breaks
Great place to work especially for highschool and college students, we can work evenings and/or weekends. No need to draft lesson plans as they have a curriculum with easy to follow illustrations. Hopefully I can stay here for a while but who knows with Covid
Pros
Flexible Hours/Days
Cons
Oakville is expensive
Fun fun fun! For parents, students and Teachers. A low stress environment, a high energy team. The only thing that sucks is the music that’s piped through the building but I guess it’s a generational thing.
Pros
Cons
Music
Not one negative vibe in this place, didn’t know the old management too well, but current atmosphere is awesome. Kids are fun and loving and we make a huge difference in their lives, we teach kids to swim! How cool?
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Started 6 weeks ago and liking it a lot so far, the owners bring donuts every Sunday which isn’t helping my diet and they always stack the freezer with soda and freeze pops. Since I joined the management team have gone and bought birthday cakes to celebrate swim teachers birthdays, to me that means a lot and shows they are thoughtful.
Pros
Colourful and great atmosphere
Cons
Noisy in the pool
It’s quite simple, do your job and you will love working here. Since the new management took over in July, Goldfish has become an even more fun place to work, yes the starting hourly rate is $15 but you move through the pay scales fairly fast based on competency and performance reviews. I love working here and as I said, do your job and you will have a care free work environment.
Pros
Cons
Swim Deck is hot
Goldfish was a very fun place to work as a student as most instructors were around the same age. I enjoyed the group dynamic. Lots of training for instructors so you are never unsure what to do. Always support when in the pool from other staff as there are always people around to help. It can be hard to find shift coverage in last minute situations but management is understanding when things come up and you cannot come in. I would recommend working at Goldfish, especially to high school students as it’s a great social environment and lots of events for staff to get to know each other.
Pros
Great group environment, the kids are great, understanding management.
Cons
Hard to find shift coverage
After my "interview", which was literally 10 mins and most of that was the GM explaining what my role would be, I was told I would get ____ hours/week. Enough hours that I'd be able to quit my current job, which pays me $5/hr more. Once I got the job offer and accepted (on the terms that I'd get full time hours) management suddenly decided I'd 'maybe potentially' get 2 shifts a week. When I confronted them they literally ghosted me! Still havent heard a single word from them.. I obviously quit but don't know if they got my point cause apparently it is still mandatory for me to go to staff training! Ya, okay! I think not!
Pros
Dont need your NLS
Cons
Literally everything. Pay sucks. Management is terrible. Staff treated horribly.
what’s that? uh oh stinky. this place is trash. management treats the staff like garbage. management needs to go back to grade 2 and learn math because i lost count of the amount of times they “forgot” to pay me or miscalculated my earnings. mandatory staff trainings are a joke. a team of 30+ and only 11 people show up and then we sing children songs for 3hours. an awful idea opening a new facility when you can hardly keep this one afloat.
management always micromanaging front desk staff, the owner only cares about his reputation. the best part of the job was with working with the parents and children
Goldfish Swim School is a good and flexible job from an instructors perspective but as I have heard from others that management positions are not quite as flexible. The kids are friendly and you can truly bond well with your students and small classes make teaching easy and fulfilling. Taking time off from goldfish requires finding shift coverage which can be tough depending on time but management is understanding if you can't come in even if you haven't found coverage. I am resigning later this month due to school and I definitely enjoyed my time but this is definitely not the easiest job environment to be successful in and you need to be willing to improve and practice your teaching abilities in order to succeed. For anyone wondering swim instructors get 14.5 dollars per hour and it does get raised to 15 over time. Deck Supervisors get paid 17 dollars per hour and management gets even more.
Way too much work expected, was putting in almost 60 hours a week, and not getting a decent pay for a Management level position that I was hired for, and they still were not happy. General Manager overloads you with work and puts too many expectations on you only to turn around and ask why they are not done. Little training provided and not a friendly atmosphere as portrayed.
Cons
Long Hours, loads of expectations, all for little pay and respect.
Worked here for 6 months, would not recommend to anyone at any level. The staff turn over there is huge, they cannot keep lifeguards, cleaners, managers, or customers. Besides the GM they have not kept a manager longer than 6 months. Staff are overworked. Instructors are expected to work 4-5 hour blocks straight (classes back to back) with no opportunity to have a break, get out of the pool, or cool off. Managers are expected to work 50+ hours a week without overtime, 10-12 hrs a day, and they want more. Staff are fired without warning or notice. Often customers are not happy (due to staff turnover, dirty facility, billing errors) and management does not support staff in dealing with frustrated customers. Very unfair amount of work expected for the compensation they are providing.
Cons
long hours, no breaks, no management support
Goldfish was a fun place to work at. Every child had their needs met. The biggest problem I faced was getting my shifts covered. If you were sick it was your job to get covered, so you had to call everyone to see if they could take the shift.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Shift Coverage