Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Awesome company
Co-op worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 August 2018
People are so much great and they had treated me so much well. Also, I have got learned a lot of things they do and I do. This company is the best one that I have met and involved
Not for everyone
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 August 2018
When I started at Golder, I was rather surprised with how the apmasphere was. I didn't feel welcomed and I didn't receive training to feel comfortable with my job. My first day I was sent to my area within 30 mins of starting the job and from there on I wasn't shown anything. I was told to start my online training from HR, but they didn't walk me through the required courses. I quickly noticed that the people weren't friendly, weren't helpful and I wasn't enjoying the daily work experience with the company. Being employed for only a short time, I was called in to the office and presented with a package stating my role was eliminated and that my career at Golder was over.This was very unexpected and I can say I'm not satisfied with my time there.
Pros
Not micromanaged
Cons
Not friendly, no job security
a good place to work
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2018
i wanted to retire at Golder but because of the downward price of oil which caused the company to loose a lot of its projects, resulting to company wide lay-offs.
The people and workplace culture then were great.
I loved my job, my department.
Billable Hours
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2018
The last three years have seen Golder go from nearly 10,000 employees to less than 6,000. Part of this is due to the downturn in the resource sector - but part of it is also because they used to be bloated and now they have cut to the absolute bone. Tough times.

A large group of talented and professional geotechs/environmental scientists are still here. Spending five years under one of these folks would be great for a young grad's career. Alternatively, you could become a cog in the machine where your longevity and success is measured purely and solely by chargeability. If you're considering working here, you should be interviewing your supervisor and asking which one it will be.

Stock program looks great on paper - but dividends only compensate you for the interest you pay to borrow the money to buy the shares. You can't sell any stock or realize any supposed gains in share value until you depart the company. So it becomes a bit of a pyramid scheme.
Pros
Industry leader in geotechnical & environmental, some really talented senior professionals
Cons
Hours billed to client - salary = your value to company
Always Learning.
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canada26 April 2018
The best thing about working at Golder was that you learned new things every day. The people are great. Emphasis was placed on customer service and deliverable quality.
Good company with interesting and challenging projects.
Senior Geotechnical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Golder is a good company to work for. They treat their staff with respect and offer decent salaries. The salary+overtime option is very nice. There is a lot of opportunity within the company, especially for those that don't mind working away.
Pros
challenging projects
Cons
career advancement is sometimes difficult with the setup of the company.
Well rounded enviroment
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 March 2018
Most by your self for long duration of time and mostly engaging with contractors and clients

Lots of paper work

People help out each other in times of need
Pros
Good people
Cons
Experience required
Great Environment
Environmental CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 March 2018
It was a productive work environment with lots of additional outings for employees. There were lunches, bowling, and Christmas parties. The staff really felt like a community!
Pros
Lots of opportunities for promotions
Cons
Not much overtime available
Work/life balance unrealistic
Geotechnical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 February 2018
Instead of having enough staff they'd rather tell their employees to work 12 hour days and weekends to get the work done. If the pay was decent it wouldn't be so bad but with making $2 above minimum wage its not worth the amount of stress, responsibility, and time that the job requires.

This used to be a good company to work for before they restructured it. They employ as little staff as possible and expect everyone to work more to compensate for it, yet they don't show any kind of gratitude when it comes to raises. Going up 30 cents an hour per year is not enough.
Pros
Cake day once a month
Cons
Low pay, no work/life balance mentality
Administrative Assistant/Trim Project Champion (Former Employee) –  Champion, AB13 February 2018
I had lots of fun working here.

Friendly atmosphere with lots of potential for growth within the company

Would definitely recommend to anybody looking for steady work
Not great at this time
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2018
-No raises or career advancement in the last 4 years
-employee morale is low
-expected to be willing to travel at last minutes notice
-recent cutting of benefits and any travel perks
-no job security
-treated as expendable
Used to be great
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2018
Golder used to be a great place to work and there was a time when I would have given it 5 stars - now, if I could give it 0, I would. It's all about the bottom line and increasing the share value so the CEO and his "dream team" can get sell the company and retire. Golder has gone through years of layoffs and restructuring - some real head scratching decisions were made in terms of who they would let go of, meanwhile they hung on to some staff who obviously don't want to be here (and rarely show up!) and help contribute to the environments low morale. Staff are no longer valued and good people are leaving for much better jobs as we speak. Management are disorganized and disengaged - it's obvious even they don't want to be here. They've cut positions, benefits. departments, you name it. They've cut far too close to the bone, so now more and more is being asked of staff who have no experience in certain areas (logistics, H&S, AP) where they could have people in local offices very busy, helping to keep things moving and flowing seamlessly. Instead, we have inept leaders controlling our various department to help "streamline functions and improve efficiencies", which is the complete opposite of what's been happening. It's embarrassing to see any company operate like this - I will be one of many jumping ship as soon as I line something else up :)
Pros
Some good people are left...
Solid Environmental Consulting Company
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2018
Learned a lot and developed so many friendships for over a decade. Great place to work for - relative to other large consulting companies. Currently going through rebranding and realignment - hopefully for good.
Pros
Great place to work if you are technically strong
Cons
Office Location
Productive and supportive company
Receptionist/Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC16 January 2018
Golder Associates is a world class employee owned consulting company. It offers many avenues for advancement and training. A very supportive place to work.
Pros
Educational, sustainable
Not what it used to be
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 January 2018
Golder used to be a great company to work for. Now it feels like you are a number with a sole purpose of making the company money. The company culture is "make money, make money, make money". It's draining. Training is now non-existent. Benefits were recently cut. Pay is now below standard. Things are still constantly changing.

You can find worse companies, but I had to leave for something more stable and healthy for my psyche.
A professional organization of engineers.
Environmental Health and Safety Technologist (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 December 2017
This would have been a great career. But I discovered that as a technologist, I was not valued but treated instead as an expendable resource. The office environment was health and safety orientated to a very high standard but my experience was that this hid the underlying sophisticated harassment that was conducted.
Big Company Operation with local focus.
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2017
Canadian Based and head quartered global company.
Diverse in staff and projects.
Owned and managed by established employees.
International in scope.
Pros
Very corporate culture, well defined.
Cons
A wide variety of experiences
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 December 2017
This job has a wide range of tasks and experiences. From days within the office doing busy work to traveling to different towns for field work. This is a fast paced industry.
Challenging yet rewarding company
IT Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 November 2017
Excellent knowledge and experience gained.
Each day presented a new challenge, people made it exciting.
Employee benefits were greatly appreciated.
warm comfortable atmosphere.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Golder is going through turbulence - fasten your career seat belt !
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada8 November 2017
Used to be a great company, but things changed in a way that is not in the best interest of an average employee particularly new employees.
You have to be 100% chargeable and yet there is no appreciation. If you are down a few months then you are out the door, is it professional? or purely business?
Everyone is struggling to meet his/her chargeability.
Pros
Global company
Cons
No job security