Golder Associates Employee Reviews

Good Experience, bad pay, everything else
Materials EIT (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON8 February 2019
This company will work you like a dog. They don't pay well, but you can make it up by working rediculous amounts of OT, which in my opinion is not a very good work/life balance.

The share buying is a huge pyramid scheme where young employees are pressured to buy into shares using their already low salary, without being able to cash out on any realized gains until they leave the company.

I worked very hard at this company and brought in work in my first year there, yet at the end, they refused to raise my salary from the measly $24 to a reasonable $29/hr. They have way too many Ps + As that line their pockets.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
No work life, pay, benefits
Good experience
Geotechnical Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 January 2019
Working with a company like Golder associates so early in my career was truly a terrific opportunity. 2 years of working as a geotechnical field technician taught me a lot about how a large company works as well as how the industry functions. Typical days at work required me to pick up a nuclear densometer from the lab in the morning and bring it to site where I calibrated and used it throughout the day. Workplace culture at Golder was very formal because it is such a large company.The hardest part of the job was managing large construction projects while short staffed. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the field work e.g talking to clients and operators and working together to complete a project.
Pros
Good experience, Independence
Cons
irregular hours, working around radioactive equiptment
Toxic workplace with poor work/life balance
biologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2018
There is a culture of fetishizing overtime, of working 70-80 hour weeks. Work/life balance is not valued, especially when things are busy. When things aren't busy, everyone is constantly watching their back and worried about layoffs. Mental health initiatives are also a whole lot of corporate greenwashing, because those who struggle with mental health concerns are constantly berated for not performing at the highest level.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
long hours, long weeks or months away from home
Good place to work before
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2018
Before this company is a good place to work, but since 2014 the company changed and start laying off people and now just hiring contracts. You can learn many things from working in this company but think first your compensation for you work.
Stay Away
Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Alberta8 February 2019
Perhaps used to be a very good company, If you want to grow within the company you have to sacrifice your career with low pay and go up the ladder that takes forever, in the end, it is not your choice. Principals control everything, make sure their positions are not at risk. Very limited knowledge within the company.
Overall it is not suggested as an engineering company.
The groundwater team is decent and has a good reputation as well as very nice people.
Overall stay away except for hydrogeology and fisheries and science.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
weird business model
Never work for Golder
Civil Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 December 2018
You are treated like garbage here. You exist for them and theres no such thing as work-life-balance. Your managers/supervisors calls people under them minions.
Pros
Cant think of one
Cons
Long hours, no schedule, always out of town, pay is not good
Excellent company
Accounts Receivable Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2019
I worked at Golder for a number of years because it was an excellent place to work. It had a great job culture. It provided a great job atmosphere and the people were friendly. The job was very interesting and I enjoyed it.
Fun Place
Project Manager & Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 September 2018
Very busy office with lots of young people doing field works. Enjoyed the fast pace and team work.Work is very linear with lots of similar projects for the client. Health and Safety culture is great as it is put first over getting the job done. If something is going to take longer to be safe then its done the safe way.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Few opportunities to advance
Billable Hours
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 May 2018
The last three years have seen Golder go from nearly 10,000 employees to less than 6,000. Part of this is due to the downturn in the resource sector - but part of it is also because they used to be bloated and now they have cut to the absolute bone. Tough times.

A large group of talented and professional geotechs/environmental scientists are still here. Spending five years under one of these folks would be great for a young grad's career. Alternatively, you could become a cog in the machine where your longevity and success is measured purely and solely by chargeability. If you're considering working here, you should be interviewing your supervisor and asking which one it will be.

Stock program looks great on paper - but dividends only compensate you for the interest you pay to borrow the money to buy the shares. You can't sell any stock or realize any supposed gains in share value until you depart the company. So it becomes a bit of a pyramid scheme.
Pros
Industry leader in geotechnical & environmental, some really talented senior professionals
Cons
Hours billed to client - salary = your value to company
Professional Environment
HUMAN RESOURCES ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2018
The environment is very professional with office hours being somewhat flexible. The business and management is under construction and does not feel like a stable or challenging (in a personal growth sense) place to be at the moment. Was once a great oranization to be a part of.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
large volume of work
Good company with interesting and challenging projects.
Senior Geotechnical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Golder is a good company to work for. They treat their staff with respect and offer decent salaries. The salary+overtime option is very nice. There is a lot of opportunity within the company, especially for those that don't mind working away.
Pros
challenging projects
Cons
career advancement is sometimes difficult with the setup of the company.
Work/life balance unrealistic
Geotechnical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON16 February 2018
Instead of having enough staff they'd rather tell their employees to work 12 hour days and weekends to get the work done. If the pay was decent it wouldn't be so bad but with making $2 above minimum wage its not worth the amount of stress, responsibility, and time that the job requires.

This used to be a good company to work for before they restructured it. They employ as little staff as possible and expect everyone to work more to compensate for it, yet they don't show any kind of gratitude when it comes to raises. Going up 30 cents an hour per year is not enough.
Pros
Cake day once a month
Cons
Low pay, no work/life balance mentality
Great Place for Geotechnical Engieers
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2018
Golder is a great place for geotechnical engineers to learn field works (site investigation) and office analyses. There are many standards built in-house for variety of geotechnical works.
Pros
Great Geotechnical Resources
Cons
Poor job security
Not for everyone
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario1 August 2018
When I started at Golder, I was rather surprised with how the apmasphere was. I didn't feel welcomed and I didn't receive training to feel comfortable with my job. My first day I was sent to my area within 30 mins of starting the job and from there on I wasn't shown anything. I was told to start my online training from HR, but they didn't walk me through the required courses. I quickly noticed that the people weren't friendly, weren't helpful and I wasn't enjoying the daily work experience with the company. Being employed for only a short time, I was called in to the office and presented with a package stating my role was eliminated and that my career at Golder was over.This was very unexpected and I can say I'm not satisfied with my time there.
Pros
Not micromanaged
Cons
Not friendly, no job security
a good place to work
Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 May 2018
i wanted to retire at Golder but because of the downward price of oil which caused the company to loose a lot of its projects, resulting to company wide lay-offs.
The people and workplace culture then were great.
I loved my job, my department.
Not great at this time
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2018
-No raises or career advancement in the last 4 years
-employee morale is low
-expected to be willing to travel at last minutes notice
-recent cutting of benefits and any travel perks
-no job security
-treated as expendable
Used to be great
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2018
Golder used to be a great place to work and there was a time when I would have given it 5 stars - now, if I could give it 0, I would. It's all about the bottom line and increasing the share value so the CEO and his "dream team" can get sell the company and retire. Golder has gone through years of layoffs and restructuring - some real head scratching decisions were made in terms of who they would let go of, meanwhile they hung on to some staff who obviously don't want to be here (and rarely show up!) and help contribute to the environments low morale. Staff are no longer valued and good people are leaving for much better jobs as we speak. Management are disorganized and disengaged - it's obvious even they don't want to be here. They've cut positions, benefits. departments, you name it. They've cut far too close to the bone, so now more and more is being asked of staff who have no experience in certain areas (logistics, H&S, AP) where they could have people in local offices very busy, helping to keep things moving and flowing seamlessly. Instead, we have inept leaders controlling our various department to help "streamline functions and improve efficiencies", which is the complete opposite of what's been happening. It's embarrassing to see any company operate like this - I will be one of many jumping ship as soon as I line something else up :)
Pros
Some good people are left...
Not what it used to be
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 January 2018
Golder used to be a great company to work for. Now it feels like you are a number with a sole purpose of making the company money. The company culture is "make money, make money, make money". It's draining. Training is now non-existent. Benefits were recently cut. Pay is now below standard. Things are still constantly changing.

You can find worse companies, but I had to leave for something more stable and healthy for my psyche.
Professional
Aggregate/Soil Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON30 August 2018
A professional work setting with great people who find time to have fun. A fast paced job which allows you to accomplish a lot during the day. A great experience.
excellente entreprise
Opérateur de machineries lourdes (Former Employee) –  Sept-Îles, QC7 August 2018
cette entreprisse et baser sur la santé sécurité au travaille et le bien-être de ces employers !!
Pros
experiences sur machineries lourds et en sante securite
Cons
salaire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golder Associates. Our community is ready to answer.