Golden Arrow

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Inclusive work environment

Hard to get a hold of management.

Good people, good job if you like driving bus. General maintenance of buses is lacking, usually have to do it yourself unless it's a major issue. Paychecks getting screwed up frequently.

Pros

Co worker's were great. And the occasional free muffins and coffee was nice!

Cons

Shift work. Lots of paperwork to be a bus driver.

Free transportation to the north and lodging is provided.

Alberta based company.Golden Arrow respects their employees.Good wages and benefits with good management.Of course I do work in Fort McMurray which alters the equation somewhat.

Pros

Good management and co workers.

Cons

Split shift.

Terrible Company

This company has many terrible qualities. The management is awful, the buses are garbage, and the drivers are inexperienced. Don’t expect to get what you deserve with this company. They never pay on time and it’s never the right amount. You can forget about LOA also, you’ll never see it even if they tell you your gonna get it. The Technicians lack basic mechanical knowledge and know how. This company DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! I was a mechanic and I spent one of my shifts helping my bosses move garbage out of their house. However the worst part about this company is that the communication is terrible. You ok never know where your going or how your getting there. You better bring your wallet if your going on a road call because you’ll be filling up the company vehicle if it runs outta gas.

Pros

Zero

Official response from Golden Arrow

23 June 2021
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Your experience, unfortunately, does not align with what we strive for. If you feel comfortable doing so, please reach out to us at recruiting@gabuses.com so we can investigate this further and look for ways to improve. All the best!

Loved the job, the environment was tough

I started out as a driver, quickly worked up to a lead hand and then to operation support and TA Site Captain. I liked my superiors very much and found the environment and the dispatch side of things irrational at times. I believe this is a great company from the top down and I miss the teams I was part of. Hoping to return one day but as I live in BC and the company is in AB it makes it difficult to keep long term employment.

Pros

Good Management and good pay

Cons

I live in different province

Very good work place, safe and good relationship employer employee, i recommend this company, it is a unionized and very good benefits the care for the employee.

Interesting workplace with nice people

Very nice people to work with and for (besides dispatch). People make you feel appreciated for your work and you can feel good about coming to work everyday. Pay is decent but life lessons as such as other things you learn here are incredible!!

Difunctional Management

Management is terrible, absolutely no support as for me I was in the Safety dept. Everything promised me was not delivered, Extremely bad company. They promised me a vehicle a phone and a laptop these items where extremely important in preforming my task. The phone showed up 12 days after I started all the former Safety Advisors information was still on it including personal information, the vehicle and laptop showed up on the third week after I begin, the vehicle needed a pass to enter base plant the pass did not arrive until three days after I was dismissed on the third week, the laptop had no password or no plug and was so old could not even hold a email. A Suncor Safety Rep actually told me that he believed that Golden Arrow was setting my up for failure. The infighting between Management at Suncor was terrible, management at Suncor were rude and unhelpful. On the third week I was dismissed in a most unprofessional manner, I was asked to take a worker suspected of having Covid 19 to Edmonton which I did, upon my arrival I received a call from management in Edmonton asking me to stay in Edmonton for the weekend, I was told there was a shuffle happening, they would see me on Monday which never happened they avoided me for a week before I got to see anyone and even then I did not get a reason why I could not return to work, when I received my ROE it gives no reason for my dismissal. This is the worse company I have ever worked for and would highly recommend that you avoid working for Golden Arrow at all cost, Employee moral is extremely low there, Please do not work for this -

Pros

Cons

Just name it

Terrible

Worst environment I've ever worked in. Rude, un-welcoming, childish, disorganizes, and there was racism towards a colleague of mine. The management is terrible and you are expected to know everything in a week or your unless to them . Was talked do to multiple time by people that weren't management and overall it was a nightmare! I've never put a bad complaint on a past works indeed or anything like that, It was just so bad i want to save a few ppl from the stress working there with awful ppl that don't value or respect you.

Pros

Pays no bad if u can deal with ppl who disrespect you

Stay away from here! All there management are Useless tools

This company is definitely going to sink there’s no doubt about that your equipment is nothing but garbage! their drivers are dumb af ! And a lot of their mechanics doesn’t have a clue except for a few like 3. It’s scary I won’t be surprised if something happens in the near future’s and kill somebody management do not listen to your f xking ret ards all they care about is money and you are just a number! Do you self a favour and stay the fxc k clear this place!!!

good place to work

This is a good place to work if you do your job. Slackers, need not apply. You can get more hours if you choose or just work the basic 8. Don't get involved in the drama and you will do just fine

Pros

decent pay

Cons

lonely camp life

Keep Looking

Hardly ever know when or where you're going to work next. Don't think you're going to get much, if any help from dispatch. Never was told before or after hiring that no per diem, benefits, overtime and mandatory cleaning inside and washing of outside was done without pay.

It’s good job for Family person.

Easy to learn and get job with all need ,all employees are very nice ,also good job for those whom need money also want to spend more time with family have good Patience deal with all type of children .

Pros

Very careful driving on road

Cons

Nice with fowling all rural while on job time and on roads

At the start great company, but as they started to loose contracts, they would start laying off the higher paid senior techs and keep the cheaper apprentices , or non skilled or non lic people onsite

Good

I enjoy working at Golden Arrow because they have a very friendly environment. The management and the staff is very professional. Most importantly working for Golden Arrow has given me a sense of comfort and relaxation at the end of the day.

Nickel and dime employees. Dispatch isn't helpful.

No benefits. The owners and upper management are good as far as I can tell but I hardly ever spoke to any of them. You have to do all your own cleaning inside and out and aren't paid any extra for it.

Official response from Golden Arrow

23 June 2021
Thanks for your feedback. We value our employees at Golden Arrow and would like to better understand your situation. If you feel comfortable doing so, please reach out to us at recruiting@gabuses.com so we can investigate this further.

Micro managed

Great managers and drivers but if you are not part of family ownership forget about job security or advancement the owner micro managed everything and undercuts the managers

Pros

Tour

Cons

Industrial work

Best choice for me

Working at Golden Arrow is a cheerful atmosphere where one feels appreciated and valued. I'm a senior citizen and this is my retirement activity. Thanks Golden Arrow 😎

Fun place to work

fun place to work,lots of interaction with the public, buses always in fair condition, not enough work for fulltime, travel with the public, child friendly

Worst company ever

They pay below minimum wage and expectations are that you give your life They claim there is a work life balance but not true. Out of town drivers are expected to maintain the bus and keep the bus on their property but will not pay you for it. The management and office staff are more about saving money for the company then helping out the drivers.

driving a school bus

Driving to and from homes to school, headstart programs and behaviour programs. Making sure children were safe and contentand made it to school on time.

Pros

off at 4, no weekends or holidays.

Cons

didnt work in the summer

micromanagement

no job security, if management don't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you in the fast way, they like the workers who will close their eyes and follow their orders even if against the rules and regulations, if you have the guts to tell them your point of view, you are gone, and no union rep will ever help or fight for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Golden Arrow. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9