Gold's Gym
Information from Gold's Gym:

Gold's Gym Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
Was a harsh environment.
Management was not very friendly or understanding.

Lots of changes daily, lots of confusion between staff members.

Inconsistencies day in and day out.
Worked there last year. Micromanaging by the sales manager and owner. Prejudiced people and the worst of all, dishonest. If you want to hear threats of being fired literally everyday but with a fake smile, this is the place.
I loved meeting new clients and seriously giving them the advice they needed to change their lives, either to lose some weight or maybe even to gain a few pounds. Helping the ones that had medical needs and seeing how accomplished they felt after seeing results. When it comes to management that's an entirely different scenario, to keep this short let's just say this...... Never in my life have I experienced the level of immaturity I did while working there from both Trainers and management.
Terrible place to work. Chaotic environment. No one know what they are doing. Unrealistic expectations. No training. Owners are very shady. Daily complaints from customers from being over charged and constant account problems because of shady sales reps. Owners only care about money they are very cheap and will short you on pay as much as possible bonuses are promised but never paid
I was a GM for 2 years, and al they did was dangle a carrot in front of me for a promotion. They overworked me with making me commit for 55 hours a week, but only put 40 hours on my ROE. liars.
I worked at Gold's Gym for over a year, the entire time I felt constantly ignored by management. Management was very cloudy on decisions and was terrible at communication. If you are not a favourite of one of the managers then you are pretty much invisible. The gym itself is dirty and often broken down and the managers continue to push away complaints from staff and members. Members are great people and will always chat with you! Overall, Gold's Gym Lethbridge is a very toxic environment and you will probably never feel as if your job is safe.
Worse place ever to work. Just don’t do it. The management aside from the gm is horrid. I don’t want to waste time even thinking Bout this company any longer
Just don’t join in. I’m thankful I got out when I could. Made great friends while I was here but left due to poor ownership.

Always jam packed full of jobs and requests with not enough staff or time to get hpjobs done. Impossible to move up in the business
No job security, no benefits and trainers aren’t compensated fairly. The owner is extremely hard to please & is rarely kind to or appreciative of her staff and treats them like a firing squad. They say it’s not about selling but if you’re not selling you’ll either get in trouble or get fired. They also expect trainers to do a lot of free work everyday (free pt sessions, consultations & cleaning up the gym - none of which are paid for at all) . Also it’s a very stressful place to work not only for everything mentioned above, but because of all the drama and gossip.
What an awful company to work for. All they care about is money! No respect for the clients or their staff, they believe everyone is replaceable and treat their employees like chess pieces and the business is the game. They expect you to work long hours and not pay you for them. I'm honestly traumatized from working there. The 2 day on the job, the owner yells at me for no reason! Steer clear of this place if you can!!!
Owner is great, management is not good, they don’t listen to employees nor do they listen to members. Equipment is constantly broken and sits on the gym floor for months without getting fixed. Management is not helpful when dealing with member complaints and they don’t help front desk with duties associated with the job. Would definitely not recommend working there.
Bad place to work, run by clowns, unprofessional as heck. They expect to much for what they pay, stressful environment to work in, nothing is stable. They don’t understand that it’s not 2010 and there’s way more competition, you can’t push out 200 sales a month when you pay people minimum wage with only part time hours and unrealistic expectations. They go through a new manager every few months and go through a enormous amount of other staff. They don’t know how to build teams, etc
I believe this gym has so much potential to be a power house in the city, but they do not value people more than numbers. A business is a business but when dealing with Personal trainers I believe this place has very poor training, Sink or swim day one on the job.
No benefits, No vacation time, and unrealistic goals.

Good possibilities for advancement but job security is something I wont comment on.
Most of the day is spent interacting with people around the gym and cold calling members from their software which is one of the most unorganized and messy software I've ever seen. Usually the gyms going to be over staffed with trainers because they want "diversity" so clients can have their pick, which sounds great; but in practice creates a situation where everyone is scrambling and calling everyone they can and there isn't enough to go around. This often creates multiple trainers calling to the same person so creates frustration with the member and wasted the time of the trainer. The system that records who calls who you have to manually enter and is a jumbled mess so if you put the call under the wrong but very similar category [which there are multiples of] it wont show up in your/everyone's already called list. now imagine 5-8 frantic people doing this 5-8 hours a day, mistakes will be made. This even lowers the chance of members getting personal training since it seems less personal/professional and more they want your money. which in the end that's all the gym wants, if you genuinely want to work where they want to help people, it's not here.

The training off all middle management down is so poor, if really felt like they just threw anyone with high sales figures in and said nope with all the rest. Client protocol is scary to the point you can be given clients that are not safe to train from not being properly examined or even worse, they aren't medically cleared to exercise. and they won't tell you since its not their issue since they make you sign up for your own
 - more...
Pros
Helping people, experience
Cons
pay, hours, management, culture, software
Golds offers false management positions with the intent of actually offering entry level positions that are commission only. An extremely unethical business hiring model and I recommend that nobody wasted their time with any positions offered.
Huge management turnovers, zero stability.
Dirty gym, employees are yelled at.

The hardest part of the job was tracking my pay as management constantly made errors.

The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with members.
Would not give me payment after job ended. Would not answer employees calls. High, high employee turnover. Terrible work culture, should not be allowed to be open.
If I could give Gold's Gym Lethbridge a negative 5 stars I would. The management is terrible, they treat you horribly and if you refuse to sleep or get cozy with the boss you are fired or treated so poorly and abusively that you just end up quitting. Do not waste your time applying here because it will make you go into therapy anyway.
The job itself is easy and the members of the gym are great. The gym sells itself so it is very easy to sell memberships and earn commission, however, this gym is one of the most poorly ran organizations in the whole city. There is a strong sense of favoritism and if you are not the favorite they will “fire you” (actually use constructive dismissal which is illegal, but nobody calls them out on it).
On top of all of that, the pay is brutal and they cut the amount of commission you make if you are successful. I would avoid this location at all costs.

Also, no benefits.
Pros
Good work life balance, easy job
Cons
Management, pay, environment among co-workers
Great, energetic team to work with and lots of creativity surrounding the marketing of a gym varying from ads, coupons, promotions, events, videos, etc.
Pros
Fun environment, lots of work
Cons
Some marketing limitations with management
-you spend most of your night finding things to keep yourself busy,
-every 2-3 hours you do a walk through of the gym

-sign up any people looking for memberships
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Boring