Goalcast

Goalcast Employee Reviews

Every day I'm amazed by the quality of people that work at Goalcast. I have been indifferent to organizations where they promote their values but it's one thing to promote them and another to embody them. At Goalcast I saw the difference, less talk and more action. People want to change and be their best selves and they are ready to do the work, even the founders of the company. It's beautiful to see. Great place to grow and collaborate, you will never work in a silo.
Goalcast is incredible at recognizing potential in their workers and with a full team of driven and creative employees, it's a fantastic place to develop both professionally and as a human. The culture in Goalcast is based primarily around self-development, which is objectively a very good thing as it allows for vulnerability and meaningful growth with your team. I'd strongly recommend clarifying your role, learning opportunities, and direct mentors during the interview - as well as how your role can be most efficiently done. If you're pioneering a role ask about the tools you'll have access too and which fellow employees share in your responsibilities. I experienced some confusion in these areas which led to more confusion in other areas. Goalcast has a true leader as CEO who cares about his employees and Goalcast's direction. For me, this was one of the highlights of working there. Overall Goalcast is a great place to develop. This companies product is truly meaningful to millions and the quirky and bright employees make it a joy to spend time in the office.
Pros
Free Lunch on Monday / access to masterclass
Cons
Managerial structure may need some work
the entire company is structured in the way you'd expect a motivational and life changing content creating company to be structured. They believe in the capacity of people to become their most powerful selves, and they will break you down until you become your fullest potential. If you dislike the idea of being pushed into becoming unstoppable then you won't cut it. You ought to be ready to not only become better, but also be able to take the criticism that is keeping you from being better. Brilliant people, good people all around, the only work environment I know that doesn't create an external pressure to succeed, but rather pushes for an internal pressure to succeed. Honestly, if I were capable of keeping up with the pace at which at they move, I think I would be part of the team of people who will eventually bring about immense change in the world. This isn't comfortable, this is a place for you to work yourself to the bone and be appropriately rewarded. I hope anyone who is the embodiment of pushing through obstacles applies here, no matter the position.
I worked at Goalcast for two of the most transformative years of my life. The culture IS unconventional, but it was always a great thing in my book. I wasn't looking for a typical corporate environment when I joined -- I was sick of the fakeness and wanted to be myself. I am not someone who separates work self from self, and doing so would only make me miserable. In my opinion, this is exactly why the environment is made up of the most amazing kind of people -- people who are not afraid to reject the status quo and dream BIG. They bring their whole, authentic selves to work. They say what's on their mind, even if it's not a popular opinion or it's not stuff you would talk about in a "regular" office setting (once again, I don't care for typical corporate environments). They are passionate and care. People who work at Goalcast all come from different walks of life yet all strive to pursue growth from one entry point or another. You'll have deep conversations and form lifelong friendships. You'll learn a lot about yourself and others. For me, the team was hands-down the most impactful and inspiring aspect of working at Goalcast. I got so inspired and grew so much that I ended up leaving the company for even bigger entrepreneurship dreams -- and my time at Goalcast actually helped me feel ready for that leap. In terms of the day to day, you will get to be resourceful and entrepreneurial and learn by having to figure things out. There is no hand-holding. Yes, figuring things out means the leadership team doesn't have everything figured out either -- they are not afraid - more...
I love working here, there are so many opportunities to contribute and to create something meaningful not only for the team, but also for the whole world. This team is truly inspiring and always pushes me to grow. Together we are not afraid to make mistakes, try new things, think outside the box and push our boundaries to make it happen! On a day to day you are expected to be your own leader to take initiative and to "manage" yourself! Results matter but no one is watching the process, it is all about your own desire to make a difference and succeed! The structure can be improved, but given that it is a start up this also allows for quicker growth and more opportunities for each individual.
Work/Life Balance: Not great. Job Security: Zero. People get fired left and right and the turnover is very high. Everything comes down to whether the current manager personally likes you or not. Management: Incompetent. No communication between management, childish behavior. Also just an FYI, calling your team "tribe" in 2019 is just not OK. Job Culture: They are pretending to be a woke millennial company in the worst way possible. Borderline cult culture. Advice: Instead of organizing dance parties, take a course on team management.
Official response from Goalcast
18 February 2020
Hi, Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate this opportunity to improve ourselves and also to bring more clarity to the issue. Job Security: We pride ourselves in being a team of A players that want to change the world. We are growing fast. This means there are moments that we need to make choices about who is aligned as we grow. When someone is not a fit, we like to deal with it right away and not waste anyone’s time. The best thing we can do for our team is to make sure everybody is pulling their weight.Management: As a start-up, we are constantly working on improving our management style and organizational structure to support open communication and decision-making.. We work hard to empower each individual to be a driving force in the company. We do this because we believe that in today’s day and age, top-down hierarchy blocks individual creativity, creating factories rather than thriving ecosystems. This can indeed create a feeling of being lost, especially for someone who is used to a more structured system where everything is dictated. Job Culture: Goalcast is not your typical workplace. We love transparency and deep real talks, we thrive on personal and professional growth and we trust that together we can achieve more. On a day to day this allows us to inspire each other, to push our boundaries and to grow together. Weekly opportunities such as our weekly team Masterminds and Gratefulness meetings allows us to create a real community and not just a workplace.
DO NOT come to Goalcast expecting to have an easy time, it is absolutely NOT for the faint of heart. BUT if you have big dreams and are serious about achieving them, what you will find here is a real team of people who do not put limits on what can be achieved, who are extremely talented at an insanely diverse set of skills, are here to support each other and be completely honest, vulnerable, who grow extremely fast AND are honest with each other about the quality of each others work. We're constantly having conversations ranging from psychology, philosophy, art, video editing, marketing, biology, physics, social media, business and EVERYTHING in between. And everybody here has ambitions to create something that is truly special, A company of free and independent thinking empire builders so that we can create something that has never existed before. I've so many amazing people in my time here and I won't be surprised if many of the thought leaders of the future will be some friends that I've made in this place. And the great thing is that NOBODY will be managing your time, you are completely free to work in any way that is optimal for you, However, RESULTS are expected... Every day is different, every day is exciting, it's hard, but I've honestly never grown so much in my life. We have a platform that reaches hundreds of millions of people every day and we're growing faster and faster. If you dream BIG, you want to achieve your full potential and you're tired of sitting back and feeling powerless in the impact you have in the world, this is the place for you.
Pros
Radical Honesty, Complete Freedom
Cons
Lack of Structure
This was by far the most oddball experience of my life and career. If you're looking to work there, I would strongly advise you do some stringent homework and ask a lot of questions. Not because one peddles positive and life affirming stories that the work culture might be the same. Like every other Companies you interview with, you should be curious about the structure of the company; hierarchy, business plan, processes etc.
Official response from Goalcast
24 December 2019
Hi,Thank you for your feedback.This isn't the first time our culture has been misinterpreted, and we recognize that it's not for everyone. We are all about challenging ourselves to do better, taking ownership and working hard. That said, we are open to any and all questions regarding hierarchy, our business plan and processes.
Goalcast is not your typical media/publisher company. They are a startup and think/iterate like a startup - if you want a stable routine and predefined processes for every single task, look elsewhere. It also gives you a lot of room for growth, since the startup is moving very fast. Everything is created around projects - if you want to pitch in and you have something to bring on the table, you are welcome - that is pretty much it. This creates a lot of new and diverse ideas - that I had a blast working on in the last year or so. They put a LOT of emphasis on self-development - from leadership classes to impressive health and learning benefits. The main thing that I can say is that everything here is about the culture - it defines what and how things are done... and it also attracts people that are sharing common values.
After working under pressure in hard stressful efficiency focused environment in my previous jobs, Goalcast was able to change my perspective on what it means to work in a team. This creativity focused formula gives me the opportunity to accomplish myself in my field, to dream big for the future and to appreciate the value of team feedback. Goalcast is a family of people who share the same ambition to make the world a better place. I would recommend it to anyone who values the people they work with and the mission they work for over individual performance.
Been there for 2-3 months and I can happily say it's the best job and best team ever!
Applied many times for the editor position. Took the initiative to make a few videos which they didn't view. No one got back to me. Not impressed. I would have been very productive for them.
Cons
I've been working as a guest contributor on Goalcast for a couple of months. Goalcast is an inspiring community for achievers dedicated to helping you improve all aspects of your life. We provide you with practical advice, resources and the motivation to help you realize your full potential. Goalcast has 5 million unique visitors a year which makes it one of the most-visited personal development platforms in the world.