Go Auto Employee Reviews

Terrible management, always felt like I was walking on egg shells
Parts Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2019
Worked at go mgm for 3 years as a parts tech. When I started the manager was on holidays for my first 2 weeks so I didn’t receive any training. Not that it would have mattered if he was there or not because I never did receive any training. It was a sink or swim kind of feeling and I pretty much had to self teach myself. The manager is the worst boss that I have ever worked for. He belittles his employees and uses scare tactics when someone makes a mistake. There was complaints about him but nothing ever came of it. I was threatened with my job not to long before I quit and that is why I started looking for a new job. Not a place I recommend working.
Benefits
Needs a lot of work
Detailer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 November 2018
Go Auto has the right ideas when it comes to how a dealership should function. problem is, there's a lot that happens in there where it would be impossible to monitor without having an administrative member there 11 hours a day. There's a vast difference between the treatment of sales and sales management (Not all of them) and the treatment of service employees. Don't believe me? Look at the positions leaving good reviews and look at who's leaving bad reviews. If you're good at selling cars, you'll be treated better than others and I understand that. But, it becomes a problem when they think they run the business and can treat others unfavourably.
Pros
Decent compensation, Great co-workers
Cons
Sales is treated like royalty where is service isn't so much, General Manager seems to not acknowledge service issues, Criticism is never constructive (Sometimes destructive), Training is not as available as advertised
12 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am not sure which dealership specifically you are working for but would love the opportunity to chat with you in more detail about some of your issues. I can be reached at 780-733-8815.

Not the best place to work.
Staff (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 January 2019
Was hired as part time with potential to go full time, once past the 90 day probationary period I was offered full time which I very happily accepted, only to find out two weeks later that the service manager offered it to me without talking with the GM about if they could afford it, If they needed me full time, etc.

Not to mention that I'm not getting any of the benefits that I was supposed to, nor am I getting my 3 weeks of vacation because they're choosing to pay out a percentage of my pay per paycheck instead (extra $40 per check roughly) which I find complete bs because if I want to go on vacation for any period of time I'm completely losing out on my pay for that period, rather than at least getting something to live off of.

One final point is that there is no employee recognition at all either. You work your a** off and they do nothing to recognize your hard work, or even to recognize the hard work of the staff as a whole. They do however blow any small issue with your work out of proportion and make you fear that you're going to lose your job because you forgot one small detail one time.

The only real benefit is the staff, aside from management, and the discount for parts & labour.
Pros
Discount on parts & labour, co-workers
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
14 January 2019

Hello - My name is Brent Lazanik and I am the Director of Talent Acquisition for Go Auto. Our benefits and vacation policies do vary between full and part-time employees. Would you be able to give me a call at 780-733-8815 to discuss further?

Great career potential
Fixed Operationa Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2018
Over 8 years with GoAuto. Great company to work for overall. Good pay, great benefits, vacation time generous with 3 weeks after 1 year is better than any other company that I have worked for. Plenty of opportunity to advance for those that are driven and strive to succeed.
Pros
Feel valued and appreciated
Cons
Only good thing about this company is decent pay and benefits
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2018
From my experience after close to 2 years with the company is that they are greedy with no real investment in their staff. The only positive aspects were the pay, 3 weeks off/ year and acceptable benefits. Management was horrible, hours expected to work bring no work/life balance. Work culture is unmotivating and negative. I would NOT recommend them unless all you care about in a career is wage.
Pros
Wage, vacation time
Cons
Terrible management and negative work atmosphere, work/life balance suffers, lack of room to advance
14 May 2018

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with us during your employment. We do our best to invest in every employee with our above average pay plans, 3-5 weeks of vacation, the Go Auto University for training, our 100% employer paid health benefits, free Gym Membership; Investment Program which guarantees a minimum 10% return each year; our lunch program, generous discounts and employee of the month program. On top of the many benefits which we have invested in for our employees, we are always looking at ways to provide added opportunities for growth including internal postings and mentorship.

We recognize that this business does have you working a lot of hours so we have been planning events every year to bring you and your family together in company sponsored events such as our Oilers Skate and Sign, days at Galaxyland or the Waterpark; Movies, Castrol Raceway, Prairie Gardens and more.

If you would be open to sharing some of your suggestions on how to improve, please contact me directly at 780-733-8815.

Worst place i have ever worked
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 April 2018
All I'm saying is I was a driver at South town Chrysler and it was a joke. At 3 months they turf you so they don't gotta pay benefits. Make up a bunch of lies and can't prove it when you ask them for proof of their allegations. Terrible parts department dispatcher is a you know what and manager don't stick up for his employees...worst work experience of my life. If I could give this joint a minus rating I would.
16 April 2018

We are very sorry you had a less than ideal experience at Southtown Chrysler. I can assure you that our managers do not terminate employees to avoid paying for health benefits. If you would like to go over your concerns in more detail, I would be very interested in chatting. My number is 780-733-8815.

Aggresive and unpleasant work environment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 February 2018
be very careful about which branch you work for. They will hire you as full time and then lay you off before the three months so they don't have to pay benefits. And they actually have you train your own replacement (without knowing it). Management does not care at all about the employees (unless you are their favorite pet). Aggressive and unpleasant work environment. Not the most ethical company out there.
Pros
i had some weekends off
Cons
Unethical, they lie to you and mangement really does not care about anyone but themselves.
26 February 2018

Hello - My name is Brent Lazanik and I look after Human Resources for Go Auto. Trustworthy, Happy to Help and Team Player are the 3 core values we expect all of our employees to live by. If one of our employees are doing something outside of that, we would be interested in investigating further. Would it be possible to reach out to me directly at 780-733-8815 to discuss further?

Fantastic Team Environment with advancement potential!!!
Team Lead Finance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2018
Going on 17 years with "Go Auto" . I can't think of another place I would want to work. I have been able to over the years advance to the position I am at now. I started out at the dealership in the accounting department. Go Auto notices when employees put in effort and go above and beyond and are not just there for a pay cheque but there for a career. I LOVE the open door policy and that management values my opinions . Knowledge is not withheld and if there is something I would like to learn about ,my manager is more than willing to share their knowledge. Regular training sessions are hosted so that agents can learn new skills or brush up on ones that are a little bit rusty . Our department works as a team and towards a common goal and it makes for a very happy work environment . Go Auto was able to accommodate my unique work schedule situation as I able to prove to them over the years I am an employee that will go above and beyond and with helping me , it also benefits them. I recommend to people looking to get on with a great company to apply with Go Auto.
Pros
Great work environment, great pay, room for advancement
Cons
parking at work .. need more spaces ..
Love the atmosphere, fun great place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 January 2019
Everyone is so helpful, easy to talk too, and super kind. The employees are always coaching me trying to make me better which i love, enjoy the you get what you put into it mentality.
Pros
fun, great atmosphere
Cons
semi long hours
Rewarding for those that can move up, without much energy output after work
Detailer (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB6 February 2019
Working in service can be rewarding if you see your job as a lifestyle and carry high energy at work. If you have a demanding life outside of work, this job is not for you, as it is very physical and you work off of flat rate with realistic time limits to your job (meaning that building up mass amounts of hours without any assistance can be exhausting).
Pros
Lunches on Saturdays
Cons
Working under service AND finance will normally make for long days, no OT
11 February 2019

Hello. My name is Brent Lazanik and I am the Director of Talent Acquisition with Go Auto. Detailing is definitely a physically demanding job. If you do not believe you are being paid fairly, I would encourage you to reach out to your manager, Payroll Manager or myself to discuss.

Horrible!
Sales Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 January 2019
They created a job so they could have a dedicated person do licensing and inventory, then new management came in treated me rudely and decided after 3 months they no longer needed me as the company was “restructuring “ stay away
Cons
4 Year Employee - LOVING IT!
Sales Professional, Sales & Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton24 November 2017
I've been with Go Auto since 2014. I started off in sales, then into management since 2016. Great company to work for, internal development training classes available(great for people new the business), great career growth opportunities internally, lunch program, monthly & yearly performance awards... the list goes on. Overall a great company to work for and I don't see myself moving to any other company any time soon.
Pros
Great Advancement Opportunity
Cons
No Vision with benefits
Mismanagement at its finest
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Go Auto London7 January 2019
I worked for a high end luxury dealership for years before Go Auto bought the dealership. It is by far the worst place I have ever worked at. Management in this company is a disaster. They created a toxic environment a mass exodus of valued employees ensued.
14 January 2019

Hello - I am very sorry to hear you did not have a good experience. My name is Brent and I am the Director of Talent Acquisition with Go Auto. I would be interested in hearing about how we could improve. My number is 780-733-8815.

Revolving door for staff.
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton21 February 2019
worked at 2 GoAuto Dealerships. they dont care about employee. bullied at one dealership by egotistical A.M and let go because "not a good fit" at both dealerships. How is that possible when your one of top advisors. revolving door policy. earn too much and you are.gone. dont sell enough and you are gone. terrible insecure place to work.
Pros
Cons
where do i start. take a number cause thats all you are
Perfect if you enjoy keeping your head down
Administrative Assistant / Skip Tracer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2019
Go Auto by far is one of the companies I work for that seems to be the most detached from their company culture.

I worked for the “Go Auto Finance” division. Now cheerfully renames “Yes Plan Finance” as a last ditch effort to remove themselves from the stigma of the rest of the company. Rest assured they’re still under the same umbrella company Go Auto.

For starters,
I was hired as administrator, I started on the opposite on a payroll week which as many people know means I’d be waiting a total of 3 weeks to get my first pay. This wasn’t the issue, my first red flag about this company should have been when one of the women in payroll emailed me a day before payday and said she had forgotten to submit my information and I wouldn’t be paid. Like many people that wasn’t going to fly I had bills to pay and in 3 weeks “forgetting” to submit my information was unacceptable. When I asked for a cheque to be cut I was simply told to tell my land lord I’d be late along with my other bills. It took several emails and having to play phone tag with a bunch of members in the office as well as me being on the verge of tears for fear of missing payments until they finally got a cheque together.

The work atmosphere is fine if you like flying by the seat of your pants. The management team was comprised of two indivuals that either chose not to, or lacked the ability to listen to their staffs concerns all together. If you end up in collections enjoy a crash course in awkwardly watching another agent do their job for about a day until you’re thrown on phones to harass people for payments.
  more... They have no formal training manual, which is a huge disadvantage considering the amount of acts and regulations collectors EVEN PRIVATE ONES need to adhere to. Not to mention the Lease Complete software that was being used was a prehistoric nightmare where again, without no set rules in place to train staff resulted in people’s payments getting pulled twice or not at all.
Also good luck holding onto any of your payments agents are paid poor enough that sniping arrangements to meet thehe commission based rewards system will keep you too busy infighting to notice you haven’t gotten your 3 month review you were promised in over a year. Regardless of how much you ask.

Like I said, the pants flew with top speed there.

If you’re lucky enough to land in repo or administration I suggest keeping your head down. Both “supervisors” (even though they claim everybody is on the same level) play less then fair. If you love being made to feel stupid or harassed in general by bullying tactics then administration is your place. If your a person that likes to be screamed at on the phone and have your supervisor slip away for 5-6 smoke breaks a day repo is your beast.

Now everyplace has its issues and you’ll never like everybody you work with that is understandable. But Go Auto Finance you keep yor head down and mouth shut. I went on multiple occasions to report the harassment in administration, not just about myself but how other new employees were being belittled for questions. I got “ that’s just how she is” each and every time.

Further more I was taken out of my position I was hired for and constantly brought into closed door meetings with both managers to be given ‘secret projects’ which included building Excel spreadsheets to monitor every other employees work time and effectiveness. Someday it was to help the legal department, others repo. They had a large software change over I was told to spend hours writing “short codes” for that never were used because honestly the management ran in circles.

Then came when I was given “my own department” to run. Oh boy I was excited all the putting up with the harassment and random jobs paid off. Ha.

Skip tracing was my new job, for anybody that doesn’t know. That’s where you use information to find someone or to contact them. It’s a bit of a black art in Canada considering how many privacy laws we have.

Here’s the fun whistling blowing part of my review.
I was instructed on how to apply their illegal techniques to locate customers that owned us money. Using fake social media accounts to stalk and sometimes friend ( only if I got permission though, got to be careful!) I as Monika Anderson an adorable brunette and sun glasses found many people, Who was I to say no? If they didn’t listen to my harassment claims why would I kick up dust about this. I had dont research on software and constantly suggested other ways to do these things but everything fell on deaf ears unless I found skips. Which I was also promised commission on but they never disclosed the commission system.

I sent several emails requesting meetings, guidance, and asking questions to ensure I was on the right path.

I cracked finally after everything and complained again about harassment and when I was met with the standard reply I demanded HR.

I was fired the following Monday for an inability to follow through and my inability to get along with other employees.

Let me be straight besides the management team and their friends in both departments every other agent and employee in that department are amazing people. They do the best with what they have and can have good attitudes even when they get side walled by change after change or a lack of answers and understanding.

In my closing interview when I asked why I was never coached or had write ups or sit downs about my “shortcomings” in all the time I had been there I received silence. When I asked for my employment contract and employee file I was told they didn’t have them. Strange, no documentation for this supposed terrible employee I was. When I asked I had emails weeks and weeks old requesting help and meeting they went unanswered I was told “ well I send those to my boss and never get a reply.

Listen I can’t tell you where to work, but I can tell you I was brought into the company on the message I would be heard and cared for. Instead i was sent home with the idea i was a failure despite my best effort. I went into work on egg shells avoiding the harsssment because i knew nobody would listen. I spent time with some of the directors all equally great people, but they seem to not know what’s going on there on the floor. My guess isn’t ignorance, just that management in that division gatekeeps things like that.

So what it comes down to is this, you’re not going to enjoy being there, you’re not going to get paid enough to put up with how you’re treated or pushed to the side. So maybe try Auto Canada, they have an actual policy manual and take complaints seriously.

But hey, they have a fooseball table and you get red star chef made food everyday for about $10. If that rocks your boat then maybe this place is for you.
Pros
Good lunch program
Cons
Terrible management, Harrasment, Bullying
21 January 2019

Hello - My name is Brent Lazanik and I am the Director of Talent Acquisition for Go Auto. I have shared your review with our Sr. VP for Yes Plan and would love for you to get in touch so we could discuss further. My direct line is 780-733-8815

No pay raise system poor management
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2017
Not a good company to work at. They don’t have a pay raise system so whatever they say to pay you will be that for your position hired. If not get promoted your only sitting on the same salary. Management is not good at all! They would make it look like your well recognized by having staff lunches but your not really rewarded individually as an employee there. If they find something they don’t like about you yes easy lay off is what your expecting and without good reasons.
Pros
Staff lunch
Cons
Poor management
6 November 2017

Thank you for leaving a review. We are sorry to hear you did not have a great experience. Raises are issued based on many different factors including merit, added responsibility or promotion to name a few. We are always looking at new ways to recognize our employees hard work and would love to hear your suggestions. Please contact us at 780-483-4024.

Very productive and Fun place to be
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 November 2017
Morning will start great. Lovely and Friendly people are always welcoming you to the office. Goes from our receptionist to our Sales managers. Every body seems to be looking for one thing in the morning... Coffee that might be! Or simply a sticky lint roller to remove dog hair...

My most enjoyable part of the Job was Free Lunches. Company would allow me to expense it at the end of every month 100%.
Pros
Great Employee Benefits
Cons
Things happen too fast
Not productive, unhealthy, no advancement, horrible service manager, stressfull.
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 August 2018
(GO HONDA)
Great coworker's but... current managers are unable to live up to promises and expectations set in interview stages creating a lack of trust and confidence in the work place. ( ex. manager says one thing - it dosnt happen) unreliable work setting and not a happy/healthy work environment. This is the most respectable way i can put it.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Service Manager
27 August 2018

I am sorry to hear that there were some promises made that were not followed up on. That is never our intent so I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you in more detail. My name is Brent Lazanik and I look after Human Resources for our group. My number is 780-733-8815. Please phone me anytime to discuss.

Great salary / benefit, poor life balance
Sales (Former Employee) –  British Columbia14 November 2015
The work environment is great, but a typical day at work requires long hours and you must be able to handle pressure. The work compensation pays you well, but due to the amount of work and hours that needs to be put in, the ratio of compensation does not balance to your life. Most of the people working for GoAuto often have no life outside of work because you basically wake up to go to work for more than 8 hours (average 10 ~ 12 hrs) and go home to sleep. They do not give you any coffee or fixed lunch hours in between, so if a customer walks in while eating, your lunch hour is gone. You eat whenever you're free.
Pros
Free lunche Saturdays; good pay; nice staff to work with; lots of company dinners
Cons
High pressure; long hours, poor management
Poor management
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2017
Managers willing to throw their staff under the bus. Put you on salary and make you work extra days and long hours for no extra pay but deduct days if you need time off. It's all about the dollar and as staff you're just another number.
6 November 2017

We are sorry to hear of your bad experience as a Service Advisor. If you are open to chatting further, please reach out to us at 780-483-4024.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go Auto. Our community is ready to answer.