Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

productive fun workplace
Customer Service and Sales (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON18 October 2019
it was fun my first ever job, i learned how to up sell what facing meant and also how to read the products and understand what they actually are so the i can confidently sell things to people.
Lots of learning
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2019
A typical day at work is cleaning lots and helping customers. You learn about dog and cat food. Lots of heavy lifting. Get to interact with customers dogs.
Easy going, fun atmosphere
Pet Food Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 October 2019
If you love animals and helping people with issues/problems with their animals it is a nice atmosphere. You are able to interact with both pets and people and enjoy in the new ownership of puppies with customers.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON25 September 2019
Great place to work. Lots of options. Willing to do special orders if possible. Able to answer most customer questions or concerns. Able to make recommendations
Productive and fun place to work
PE - Pet Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Prince Edward Island15 September 2019
There's a store pet cat and sometimes the manager brought her two dogs and I got to eat lunch with them in the back during my break.
I would recommend this store to anyone who values pet health and customer service.
customers are the best part
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON10 September 2019
If I knew all the things I know now, I probably wouldn't apply again.
The best part is seeing all the pets that come for their food or just to visit.
Good place to work.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 August 2019
Staff was helpful, job was fairly straightforward and easy going. Was confusing at times, but still fairly easy to understand. I left to find work out west, but decided to return home after a month.
Best place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 July 2019
The location in Grande Prairie is beyond a good place to work, it is a happy and positive atmosphere along with friendly customers enjoying the help we offer and looking for friendly conversation. Being fable to engage with customers on a personal level makes for a better relationship and was encouraged in this workplace. Can’t say enough good things.
don’t work here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON28 July 2019
literally the worst place to look for and it’s extremely boring and the workplace is bland. they sit there and watch you on the cameras and the owner watches the cameras from home and calls the store when she thinks something is wrong or doesn’t agree with something. the staff are all lifeless, save yourself the time
Pros
nothing
Cons
all of it
Fun People and Ongoing Learning Experiences
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON8 July 2019
A job that allows you to experience the typical retail life while still allowing you to learn new things every day. I can say I've learnt a lot about pet food and animal health/care while working here.
Pros
Educational, Fun environment, Food at meetings
Cons
No Advancements
Unprofessional/ underpaid
Administrative Assistant / Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 June 2019
Global Pet Foods would be an amazing company to work for if they got rid of certain people in management.

HR feels the needed to ditictate to there employees how there personal life should be run. (e.i: how many kids you may have, if you are a smoker they will not hire you because HR has a personal issue with cigarette smokers)

Certain managers needed to go back to school and take managerial courses on how to speak to employees with respect without yelling and swearing at there employees. HR is also unprofessional with using profanity with other employees.

This company will take advantage of you and work you to the bone especially because you are paid salary not hourly.

They also use and abuse there Warehouse staff and laugh at the temporary hires.

They also underpay there employees for the responsibility and amount of work that is expected to be completed on a daily basis.
Cons
Long hours, profanity, poisonous work environments
lots of work with little pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2019
A lot of heavy lifting - only 2 people work each day so when deliveries come in it's a lot of work especially when it's busy with customers. 1 of you will be at cash while the other is putting everything away.

Entitled customers who only want the manager's help - at least at my location they only want the manager's help coz they've been here for so long. They don't listen or believe advice you give them (I've been here for 2 and a half years)

Some days you work 9-10 hour shifts.

Poor communication between management and part timers.

Training was very informative. Learned a lot.

The most enjoyable part is seeing all the animals that come in.
Pros
Animals, employee discount
Cons
Long shifts, rude customers, minimal staff
It’s an alright job, but a few cons
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 May 2019
I worked as a sales associate for a few months and generally enjoyed the day to day tasks of the job. I could work 8 hours and go home without being completely exhausted. It sometimes got boring when there was no customers and all the stocking and cleaning was finished.
Some problems though...
Management. Management was childlike and scolded employees for standing around, but would then sit on their phone at the counter and scroll on Facebook for two hours.
Job security. Many people were fired or quit, old employees would be brought back instead of hiring new people and then would only be able to work two days a week.

We were always short staff yet management would never look at indeed applications. If you asked for a day off you would get on managements bad side forever.

I loved working with animal products and learning, but it was kind of toxic and insecure employment.
Pros
Day to day tasks, learning about animal products
Cons
Management, job security, not allowed time off
Don’t bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC23 April 2019
I worked at Global for almost 4 months. I was a full time employee. The work environment is extremely toxic and management is an absolute mess. At first I really enjoyed my time working there until our manager was fired and then two employees were hired on as managers. Now, one of the employees quit on the spot on not so good terms and is now a manager? You can guess how that has been going. The drama that goes on in this workplace is unbelievable. It’s not very enjoyable coming to work when you know your walking into that type of environment. I have sent so many messages to head office about the problems but nothing ever gets fixed. I’m tired of being treated poorly and dealing with drama that comes along with the job. There needs to be some serious changes, I'm not sure how this store still runs.
Cons
Management is a mess, toxic, drama
Yikes
Sales Associate/Manager (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC3 April 2019
I loved the staff I got to work with, a lot of the brand reps I got to meet and get on friendly terms with, and everything I learned about the different foods and things that I can apply to my own pets. But. There are so many problems.

No job security whatsoever. 6 people were let go within the first 4 months, and 2 quit. As manager I received little to no training, and anything I didn't know how to do, I had to phone or text, or just figure out myself.

There was little to no direction from head office, as they were in Ontario and we were in BC. We were basically stranded. We took over a horrifying store that hadn't been cleaned in probably 15 years and didn't look like any of the other Globals (and they didn't start renos until 4 months after opening), no one had any background in the pet industry, and no one from head office was sticking around long enough to give thorough enough training to anyone.

And if someone complains about you, whether a customer or another coworker/employee, that's probably it for you.

It's a nightmare. No one ever knows what they're doing, and trying to get information from head office is like trying to pull teeth.
Pros
Playing with animals, learning about the health of your pets, meeting some interesting people
Cons
No job security, constant threat of being fired, customer complaints, high prices, no training
Ok place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON28 March 2019
Loved working with the animals , loved what they stood for .
Smaller store so you get to build a bond with and get to know your customers.
Gets lots of training on pet nutrition
Pros
Discounts, puppy snuggles
Cons
Often work alone, no benefits, lots of heavy lifting, privately own so no job security
Very Sloppy, unprofessional environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2019
I was hired as a part time employee in October, and was told I would be on long term. I was fired in January because an past employee was coming back on the job. I was not given 2 weeks notice and not given a reference. Management was absolutely terrible managing day to day and I still don't understand how they managed to stay afloat.

I was also given many repremands, not for my lack of work but because customers would complain and the full time staff would blame it on me. I understand this may come across as an excuse, but this really does not make a new staff member feel any better about their skills going into the future. They need to learn to train staff better and more effectively, rather than laying down the law.
Pros
Shift Flexibility
Cons
Lack of Management
Very welcoming workplace with friendly staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON29 November 2018
Working at Global Pet Foods along side close friends was fantastic. Interacting with animal lovers and planning events to put on was a great learning experience. I gained a lot of knowledge here.
Pros
Fun
Poor mgmt
Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2018
Head office could not make important decisions in a timely manner, and acted as though they were far superior than the ppl that ran the store. You are not rewarded for hard work.
Fun place to work
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2018
This is a fun place to work at, as it is for animals of all kinds. Employees are nice and helpful. it can be hard work sometimes as you are constantly restocking dog food bags over 30lb.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
Low pay