Global Pet Foods Employee Reviews

Roll The Dice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON10 April 2018
If you're thinking of working here, just know its a 50% chance you will get fired or quit within the first week.

Other than that, the work is fine. Customers are amazing and friendly. But management sucks!
Fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 April 2018
Good place to work if you love animals and building a strong bond with customers. You learn a lot about products, as well as pets. Fun energy and potential.
Great store where you can play with pets
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS3 April 2018
I learned lots working for Global Pet Foods and loved every shift I worked. It can sometimes be strenuous moving 60 lbs bags around but if you can handle that that there was never really issues.
A very informative, fun place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 April 2018
Initially I thought of it as nothing more than a job, but once getting to know the staff, and the regular customers, it being so much more. I knew customer's and their animals by name, and felt personal connections with them. Very interesting and surprisingly in-depth place to work.
Melancholy Workplace at Best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Unionville, ON21 March 2018
Staff/management doesn't have much respect for it's employees and their is not much room for growth if you don't suck up to management in general. Not a very safe workplace, very little rules or regulations to follow.
Was okay place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 March 2018
Enjoyed the environment of being around animals but wasnt always easy to get along with the owner. The staff were fun and the place had alot of great foods to offer
Amazing place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 February 2018
I loved building bonds with people and their pets. Watching their pets grow up with their family. Love my work family and everything the Global Pet Foods company stands for.
Best First Job Ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2018
This was my first job I have ever had, I started when I was 14 and didn't leave until I was 18. This was a fantastic high school job, gave me lots of experience and made me into the hard working employee I am today. I started working along side my boss and soon ran the store by myself; opening and closing the store, doing inventory, heling customers and cashing them out. I am so thankful for this experience cause I got the chance to work independently as well as learned to work with others.
Pros
Amazing boss'
Cons
Long hours therefore minimal time to do homework
Good Hard Work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 January 2018
Getting to know the clients is the best part of this job. I really enjoyed getting work with pets on a repetitive basis. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect of it as you are slinging 50lb bags of dog food all day long, as well as climbing ladders to put stock away. I loved that the company offered me various training courses through different brands so that I could better recommend products to my clients. I now have a healthy understanding of pet nutrition and feel comfortable making recommendations based on the knowledge given to me.
Pros
Opportunities to learn more about pet nutrition through suppliers
Cons
Heavy lifting
Best job I've had
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON13 October 2017
I've worked at 2 seperate globals now , the first sadly closed down and now I'm at global in waterdown Ontario , it is truly one of the best jobs I've had and I've done lots from other pet stores to construction , catering, wedding planning even bartending.
Managment is wonderful and very easy to work with. Coworkers are awesome and customers are so kind.
The only down fall is the pay but it is retail so you can't expect much above minimum wage and I wish there were more hours but other wise it's a great place to work especially if you love animals and giving great care to animals.
They are knowledgeable and help you learn as much as you can .
And they actually care for animals health unlike a lot of other pet store chains.
Pros
Great company, good managment, wonderful HEALTHY choices for pet care.
Cons
None.

Want to know more about Global Pet Foods?

Ask a question
Was not a pleasant experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2017
The location I worked at valued it's customers much more than staff. I was often given the same tasks over and over again that no one else wanted (such as cleaning the shelves, sweeping/mopping, taking out the trash, bringing signs in and out of the store). I don't mind doing these tasks, but was bothered that I was only stuck with them because no one else wanted to do them and management was okay with people passing off their share of the tasks on other people.
Management also chose favorites and made it obvious who was respected more. The favorite staff members would receive incentives and gifts, while others were not. The working conditions were extremely unfair and I did not feel like a valued employee at all.
I was treated poorly because I have a slight mental disability. Sometimes I make mistakes by confusing one thing with the other, but I usually catch my mistake immediately and do my best to rectify it. The manager would act like I was dumb and treat me as such. I also have a physical aspect of me that I've very self conscious about and it was brought up often and made me feel very insecure.
Pros
I got to play with animals as they came into the store.
Cons
Management chose favorites, pay was not good, hours were almost non existent
Great all around
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 August 2017
Managment was great! They really cared about customers and their employees. We were always respected and never underestimated. They gave us a lot of freedom and responsibility which then allowed us to learn and get more out of our job.
Pros
Get to pet dogs
Cons
Too many dogs to pet
Fun people to work with, and animals always coming in store!
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE30 June 2017
I love working at Global Pet Foods. The associates are fun and the work environment is fairly relaxing. I love when people bring in there pets and have questions about food or toys or treats etc. Most people who do are truly carrying for there pets and it makes you try extra hard to help them find what will work best for there pet. Working in a pet job makes going to work all that more enjoyable.
Pros
Great discount for my own pet foods. Fun staff. Pets coming in store.
Cons
Lots of lifting, been there a while and I just feel like my salary is not to where is should be, with all the work and extra time I put in.
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 June 2017
great environment friendly staff good training no cxomplaints was a pleasant experience got to see pets and work at the same time scheduling was fair and gave youschedule ahead oftime
Must love dogs. :)
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 June 2017
A wonderful place to work if you love to help people help their pets. The focus is on building strong customer relationships and product knowledge. Must be comfortable interacting with people and their pets!
Trash company with garbage management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 June 2017
I was fired the second day of work for making two mistakes. Probably carried over 600 pounds of dog food. The supervisor was smug, arrogant and self absorbed. It was full of cliques and I'd have to say it was one of thee worst retail experiences I've had, and I used to manage retail. Truly a joke of a business.
Pros
Nothing. You get 15 percent off on purchases, but that means nothing unless you have a pet.
Cons
No training. If you have little knowledge of dog food they'll treat you like a moron.
Great people, Great place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2017
Good people, and good place to work. Management was great, and co workers were good. Small business feel to a franchise making it better to work in then a corporate environment.
fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON5 April 2017
Great in field experience, I learned so much from all of my co-workers and the bosses help me in the future. This was my first sales job, that really helped me engage in more interpersonal work.
Excellent source of experience and skill development
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB31 March 2017
My job at Global Pet Foods, Red Deer, was an excellent source of experience and skill development. I worked in the retail stores before being promoted to the warehouse manager position.
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON24 February 2017
I've worked here for quite a few years. The only part I wouldn't say are 5 star is pay (hey, it's retail, you're not going to get rich)!

You are expected to be engaged and pleasant, be willing to learn, and be mature and somewhat independent. It can be tough to keep busy during the inevitable slow periods, but if you're motivated, you can always find something above and beyond assigned tasks to keep busy with! And going the extra mile is always noticed and appreciated!

A big perk is getting to know awesome customers who frequently bring in their pets. If you're an animal lover, getting to bond and help pets and their owners be as happy and healthy is a great reward. And a shift will rarely go by without getting puppy cuddles!

The owner works really hard to keep the stores performing. She can be demanding if that appears to NOT be happening, but she is also one of the fairest and most considerate people you'll ever meet! She will go to the wall for you in any professional or personal matter if you've earned it.
Pros
Too many to count!
Cons
The pay...