Global Mentoring Solutions Employee Reviews

Ok as entry level job, nothing more.
Bilingual Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canada2 August 2019
Overworked and underpaid. Can easily do same job elsewhere for 10k or more per year.

Stressful work environment, help not always available when needed. Lunch breaks are one after the other so if someone is stuck with a customer, they delay everyone else's breaks. I've taken my lunch break an hour before the end of my shift multiple times.
Perfect for social butterflies and remote workers.
Technical Support Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2019
Its an okay company and being able to work remotely is very convenient. The work is quite boring and repetitive. The only interaction you have with your co-workers is in the group channels and once a month during team meetings. I find it hard to build relationships with co-workers because of the little interaction. People are generally pretty nice though. Most annoying thing about the job are the tools the mentors use. They break so often and seem to never get fixed and just brushed under the rug. I feel like there is little room for advancement as there are really only 3 positions available to most people; support rep, NOC team and shift lead. They very rarely hire for anything other than phone support people. Getting raises seems very difficult as it requires you to obtain 3 certifications before you are made illegible. When asking about which certificates are required or when materials will be available for study, you don't get a real answer even after asking many times. That said upper level management are busy but it almost feels like its done on purpose.

Overall, the job is convient, pay is decent and its easy, but, not the job for me or anyone that doesn't LOVE dealing with people.
Pros
Remote, decent pay, extra hours available
Cons
Boring, repetitive, unreliable tools, no raise in sight, stuck on phones
I would give zero stars if possible
Tech Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2019
Literally, the worst job I ever had. Management could care less about you treat you like robots, closely watch and time your bathroom breaks. They never take your point of view into consideration.

I can write a 10-page essay about how bad this company is but take my advise and RUN.
Good Place to Start
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 March 2019
The people were friendly and the benefits were great but the pay was 'just okay' and they really didn't have a competitive raise program. This made GMS a great place to grow and start my career.
Benefits
Cons
Average pay
Good place to grow as an IT Professional
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2018
As we support a multitude of different companies. You quickly learn to adapt on the fly. This results in improved customer service skills as well as new technical skills being learnt consistently.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
No social interaction
It's a work from home job
Tech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2018
It's a great to be able to work from home, however there is many con's.

Pro
-Work from Home
-Great coworkers

Con
-Management is not fair and not organized
-Salary depend on your negotiation skills before you get employed
-The job itself is very repetitive and you can easily get bored after a while.

If you're looking for a temporary job it's an alright place until you find a real career, but I don't see that being anything other than a temporary place.

Pros
Work From home
Cons
Poor Managment
Official response from Global Mentoring Solutions
26 March 2018

Full disclosure: I work in HR at GMS. I have been tasked with addressing some of the recent reviews internally and publicly and would like to offer a different point of view.

We appreciate both the positive and constructive feedback on here and take all comments as an opportunity to improve.

Regarding fairness… I don’t think I’ve worked anywhere where everyone is treated 100% equally. On a basic level, yes, all should be treated equally. However, those who perform better, have a stronger work ethic, act as team players are rewarded. We do not consider this unfair and would always welcome new employees that share this sentiment.

I also feel we are quite objective on how we determine salary. I’ve have seen a few times where new hires were offered more money than they wanted because they possessed more certifications and experience that usual.

Most people that work for us do not see this as a temporary job at all. Like in any environment, a small percentage of people aren’t a good fit; also, working from home sounds nice, but you need to be very disciplined and motivated. We have many team members who have been with us for more than 5 years and a few more than 10 years, so it is clearly not a temporary job. Our turnover is low and most of our hiring has been due to growth.

Again, we appreciate everyone taking the time to leave their reviews and welcome current and former employees to reach out to me directly.

Bonus is the work from home
Work from Home Customer Service Mentor (Former Employee) –  Unionville, ON25 October 2017
It was a nice opportunity to be able to work from home, however, the management and work environment (although remote) was not the best. Poor treatment and unfair overall.
Official response from Global Mentoring Solutions
26 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback and take your comments as an opportunity to improve.

Please feel free to reach out to me (the person responsible for recruitment/HR) in confidence. I take these comments seriously and will do my best to address them.

No Commuting + No Car Bills + Flexible hours = Great Remote Job
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2017
I started searching when I was exhausted of my 2-hour commute to downtown Toronto, tired of the long, cold Canadian winters, and sick of not being an involved parent.

I searched for a distributed company that would allow me to move to South Florida for the winter with my family and work remotely.

I am currently living near Miami, working remotely for GMS part time in the evenings.

I love the flexibility while I get up and jog along the beach in the mornings, hang out with my wife all day and work a few hours from my living room in the evening!

I love it. The support calls are from hundreds of companies located across North America as well, so the job is difficult and challenging. These are good things for someone like me who has the attention span of a fly! Keeps me on my toes.

They encourage me to study and take courses in between calls, and they will pay for your certs and give you a raise when you complete 2 certs within the year. Good deal.

And did I say the lunches are awesome? Just kidding, it's a remote, or work from home position, so there are so many benefits to that alone, that I could go on for another 500 words!

Being home for life's important little firsts and being an involved parent has only been possible while working with GMS.

The entire team is very supportive and helpful. Get started, and enjoy the work/ life balance they offer.
Pros
Lunches Are Great! (kidding, it's a work from home job!)
Cons
Entry-Level Pay
Potential is there but lacking in consistency.
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Canada8 August 2016
The job itself is good. Working directly with clients to resolve a variety of technical issues from infected systems, wireless printer setup to email client issues and everything else in between.

If tech support is your passion, this job will provide you with a fairly constant chance to test your ability to troubleshoot new and unique issues, however you can expect to spend most of your day resolving the same basic issues. ( as mentioned above, wireless printer troubleshooting - email client setup / issues - virus removal startup for chat agents.

The management team is very uncoordinated and communication seems to be lacking - you will have to juggle which team leader is on shift with how they expect you to work and handle calls due to the fact each one will give you different expectations and priorities. - however this is being looked at with a hopeful positive outcome moving forward.

That being said, working from home is a bonus and the overall experience is positive at Global Mentoring Solutions.

Salary does vary widely from one employee to another based on previous experience when applying, don't expect to get raises too often and promotions typically don't come with any significant raise in comparison with the added work loads.

Co-Workers are friendly and helpful when asking questions.
Pros
home based, salary can be competitive, overall positive work experience.
Cons
management, communications, training, feedback on job performance
My overall thought on Global Mentoring Solutions
IT certification mentor (Former Employee) –  Ontario but was home based job3 January 2013
* Providing support for Bell and Aliant residential and business customers
* SME in advanced networking security
* Providing advice, support and assisting students with their IT certifications
* Doing remote management and troubleshooting computer and servers for business clients
* Doing automated installations and repairs of software in PC environment
* Providing solutions and analysis on IT issues
* Dealing with all related IT certifications
* Troubleshooting all Windows OS, Linux, Unix and Macintosh environment
* Database management

My coworkers were great to work with and very helpful the environment was fast paced.

Hardest was lack of training which we had to troubleshoot new client software or application with 1 day notice and training.

The technical aspect of the job was enjoyable.