Global Affairs Canada

Global Affairs Canada Employee Reviews

I love working at Global Affairs, every one was very helpful in welcoming and helping me to get familiarize with everyone and I was offer help if I needed it. Every one was very helpful my manager and super I went above and beyond to help me feel like part of the team
Pros
Have to have experience, you can be transfer to different department with. Little notice once you have the experience
Cons
If you can multitask and have other experience you most likely will be put in different positio
A unique workplace. Needs more racial diversity. Many old guys hitting on young men. Many old guys hitting on all minority women. No real accountability.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Male on male harassment
It was a highly secured environment; where I learnt a lot on how to install and confiigure PCs as well as Belkin KVMs. The IT management team was awesome.I got an award for successfull rollout of mobile devices to staff of GAC.
Being hired as a permanent employee is difficult. Work is rewarding and interesting You learn all about international trade, development, and diplomacy
Poor management culture, lack of fairness in hiring processes, corupted culture compared to other federal departments and agencies. Would not recommend
Pros
Government job security
Cons
Poor management culture and expertise
It was a productive and fun with professional people. The environment is safe and very moderate. The management is good and caring. The technology is very advance. Overall I enjoyed working at Global Affairs Canada.
Focused on who are you and what you will be, rather than the experience you've acquired to date. Recognize that any experience helps to shape you, along with your contributions to extra-curriculars and volunteering.
Interesting place to work. There appear to be many projects and opportunities at Global Affairs. It is just a matter of getting to know the right person who can hire you - this applies to most of Ottawa.
Working together to fulfill a task. Understand each other as we work. Lots of activities to encourage socialization. Cultural Foods Socializing. Charitable campaign brings about socialization, and bake sales.
This is a very interesting, usually fast-paced place to work. Colleagues are extremely talented, hard-working and interesting, and the work is challenging and rewarding.
Learned alot of new things that i've added to my IT knowledge skills , meet great people that led me to have an unbelievable experience the time that i've been there
They keep you on contract with no possible way to get hired permanent They don’t care about you I would like to work there but with current management I would stay away
Provided administrative support to the Government Workplace Charitable Campaign Manager including: packaging and distributing campaign materials, organizing and setting up campaign office, and preparing volunteer packages.
work place culture, most enjoyable place to work . great management team. Great objectives which help build team spirit. I learned a great deal, particularly to build contextual intelligence and a great - perhaps the best sense of diplomacy
Very comfortable workplace given Federal Government standards. Workplace culture is hit or miss depending on management however many opportunities for growth exist.
Depends on the people you work with. There are good and bad and GAC is a typical bureaucratic Government Department.-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros
Postings overseas
Cons
Rotational Service means you move around a lot
Worked as an intern for the summer on the Hull side. everyone is very nice and helpful. Things can be slow at times and the equipment is not the best.
Great place to work, super nice people, clean and quiet space where it is easy to get work done on time. Pushed me to strive to work harder in a fast paced environment.
Global Affairs Canada is like many government departments, it has it's good and bad points. THE GOOD - Stable work environment - Striving to help employees with work/life balance - Good salary and benefits THE BAD - Bureaucracy (red tape, approval process) can be limiting - Workplace is in transition to more a flexible environment (teleworking, alternative work arrangements) but still has far to go - Often have staffing issues that make for a heavy/stressful work load
Pros
Working towards accommodating teleworking
Cons
Red tape
A typical day at work is very productive since people interact frequently. The has been a lot to learn in this workplace since the system is very big. It has a diverse work culture. Even though some challenges may be included in understanding system applications flowing though and well as problem solving in an ordinary way, learning and applying new knowledge and experiences can be the most enjoyable part of the job.
Interesting case files, access to a great network, and some really interesting managers with diverse backgrounds. Likely will bump into some Type A personalities, but overall the personalities in the department are quite diverse.
Cons
Security protocols