Glassons Employee Reviews

Uninspiring
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queensland6 June 2019
Glassons fell short of all of my expectations and everything I was promised. I came into Glassons with such a positive and spirited mindset and I left feeling like my spark had gone. The first and most important thing to know about Glassons is that there is no focus on the customer experience. This should be the number 1 priority for every business and the lack of this has such a negative spiral effect on every single part of the company. There is no expectation to even say hello to customers and because of this, you do not learn or use any skills in this job. You are there to do put backs, put customers into change rooms and be a security guard. That is all. There is no people culture. Nobody is happy to be there. Nobody is inspired by their leaders or wants to grow with the business. These are MASSIVE things you need to consider when applying for a job here because they will impact the day-to-day work flow more than you'd realise. Please keep in mind, this company does not have a HR department, no online portal to access any kind of information, they do not give you access to your payslips (your store manager has to print these for you to see them) and your regional manager does not talk to you directly as a team member, she will only speak to you through your store manager as this is "not her job". If this is the kind of company you want to work for, then so be it. But in the 8 months I worked for Glassons, I did not learn a single thing and I was meant to be a "manager in training". I was surrounded by women who did not want to be in that environment and I would choke to  more... ever call it a "team". My spirit was completely deflated. To sum up, if you're considering working at Glassons and you are looking for a long term career or even just a team you can call a family, this is not the place to go. This job is so ridiculously boring, the company culture is poor and you will hate going to work.  less
Pros
pathetically easy job, if that's what you're looking for.
Cons
everything
Terrible company.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD29 May 2019
I worked at Chermside store for a few months. They give the new staff the worst jobs. I had to sit on the floor in a skirt and was told to scrub the floor skirting under the clothes while the store was open (i had to do a lot of cleaning because it was not up to standard and seemed like it hadn't been done for years) They couldn't organise anything. They wouldn't let me try learn new things. They told me to dress more provocative and try sell the lingerie to the boyfriends who are waiting for thier girlfriends... No one stays long because they all realise it sucks to work in.
Once I out in my resignation they told me to "don't bother coming back for the next two weeks" didn't get paid out or anything. So unprofessional. Not a good work space at all
Pros
10% off
Cons
11/ hr. Nasty girls
Very short shifts with high expectations
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Castle Hill NSW5 May 2019
It was extremely hard to work at Glassons as a new staff member. After only having no more than one shift a week, and the shift was 3 or 4 hours long, management expected that you were progressing.

The turnover of stock is so high and there is always new products and having expectations on a staff member who receives no training (except for an online program that they think will develop your skill as a sales assistant) so coming in to work with every piece of clothing completely new just makes it more difficult as you have 10 minutes before a 3 hour shift to remember everything that is new, but then not need anything as the next week will be all new product.

Other girls would have more shifts which is understandable as they had more longevity in their positions, but it is not sustainable for a university student who is now independent to live off pay that is worth 6 hours over an entire fortnight, PLUS be expected to buy new clothes nearly every shift as the clothes in store change every single week.

I had 5 days of availability but apparently it wasn't good enough and once again, understandable as other workers who have been there a year should get priority, but there was no proper training provided and expectations were too high in a very understaffed store. Shifts were also cut often due to head office as a store needed to make more money.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short shifts, expectation to always improve, little training
Did not enjoy
Casual Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greensborough VIC1 May 2019
Poor working culture, catty environment, rude head office staff members . Pay was low, management did not receive proper training and staff were mistreated
Pros
store discount
Cons
bad hours
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Zealand31 January 2019
So you get subsidised work wear (great clothes)
For me I was full time and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sometimes it was a bit cliquey depending who was in and most days we had to do a deep clean with a small hover which took ages!
Pros
Substidised work uniform, friendly people, nice management
Cons
Long hours, hard labour, cliquey, basic pay
Wouldn’t recommend to anyone
Worker in charge (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD26 January 2019
Before I was hired at Glassons I loved shopping there and loved the clothes, and I still do. But working there is a whole other story
1. Management treat you like so poorly, never a positive word to anyone, they aren’t trained and have no idea what they’re doing
2. Upper management is even worse. Many staff have gone to them for issues and have basically been accused of ‘lying or misunderstanding the situation’
3. You are expected to arrive early and finish late, all of which is unpaid for when you’re already getting the minimum wage
4. You are expected to work over time, work sometimes 12 hour days and not get paid over time
5. Your opinion is never asked, wanted or needed and the store is always extremely understaffed.
6. You ‘have to’ wear current clothes, even though we get no clothing allowance, basically some of your already low pay is supposed to go on new clothes every fortnight..
Pros
Made some great friends, 40% discount
Cons
Poor management, unpaid overtime, unappreciated
Fun and busy work environment
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW7 January 2019
As a christmas casual i received close to 0 shifts in the span of 3 months. After receiving the job in September my first shift was in November, and that was only a 3 hour training shift. The first team meeting since i got the job was in the end of November. Very unprofessional to the eye of a christmas casual however the permanent girls seemed to be fine in their position.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No shifts
fun place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD3 January 2019
rReally fun environment, and great people. Weren't flexible enough for me to balance between year 12 work and work. Not enough shifts and because of that I had to spend all my pay on clothes to wear to work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not enough shifts. short hours
Productive Workplace
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD19 December 2018
A typical day at work includes spreading positivity and guidance to customers and optimum service for their needs. Going above and beyond to deliver the best customer service.
Pros
Store Discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Large bullying culture
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD26 October 2018
- Shocking Training program. They promise you management progression and then get bored of you and choose newer employees to take your place
- constantly threaten to take your shifts away
-expect you to dress head to toe in new Glassons clothes every shift and when the items go out of the store you are told you must buy new clothes out of your own pocket (only given a discount and cannot claim this on tax, and we are given no clothing allowance)
- the upper management. (state manager etc) bullies and has unrealistic goals inflicted on lower management which Is carried down to casuals.
- full of gossiping, catty and rude behaviour, immaturity and young inexperienced management
-dont get paid for team meetings which are often held at 6pm-8pm on a week nights
-is criticised for not wearing a cake face of makeup

The only good parts were *some* of the girls there, easy job and nice discount. I would not recommend this work place. It has been toxic for my and many other employees' mental health. They have no sympathy when someone is sick- whenever you ask to block off days. They view this as unreliable and undedicated. I have never been so disrespected and patronised in my life.
Pros
easy job, discount
Cons
poor training program, gossipy culture, unrealistic standards, have no respect for employees and their hard work
Not great
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queenstown, Otago28 July 2018
Management was not the best. Spoken down to and disrespected, expected to develop minimal to no relationship with colleagues. Extremely poor performance incentives not even worth trying for.
Opinion of Glassons in Rotorua
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty7 May 2018
It was a very productive day at Glasson's I enjoyed being part of a team and working hard to make sales goals and meeting all the locals in New Zealand it was in a location where a lot of people who come and visit it was a very clean store and it had a really good structure there were issues with treatment of the employees and a younger management base. I was only their temporary however I really working in fashion even if it was just for a little while the fashion was affordable and trendy.
Pros
You get to wear Glassons Clothing everyday to work!
Cons
Not enough hours.
great workplace and discount privellages
Team Sales and KPI (Former Employee) –  manukau mall, auckland new zealand20 February 2018
good day when we get a lot of customers , on a bad day me and some of the girls will start talking and it gets fun. hardest part is catching thieves. the best part was working with the best girls and helping customers who needed it.
Pros
discounts
Cons
lock up
Fun and creative
Stylist and Blogger (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland21 January 2018
I learnt how to media plan and style from this job.
A typical day involves me looking for creative inspiration online, and then taking my own version of the inspired photos with the clothes given to promote.
Pros
Free clothes
Cons
Once every two months
good
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury30 November 2017
Good easy work picking stock and restocking shelves, most enjoyable part is the staff benefits from working at Glasson's, work starts early but usually finished by the afternoon which is another benefit.
Pros
Staff Benefits
Cons
Early starts
People focused work place
State Visual Merchandiser (VM) (Former Employee) –  Queensland15 November 2017
I learnt many skills including:
- management, how to work with a diverse group of people from all areas
- flexibility
- how to work under fast paced conditions
- how to prioritise
- time management and planning
- how to work with different personalities and how to achieve the best results from each individual
- good work culture
- the people and training were the most enjoyable part of the job. Have the opportunity to contribute to another persons learning and watching them succeed.
Pros
Great people
Fun work place
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, New Zealand25 August 2017
Working at Glassons, was an amazing experience. I learnt a lot from this company and would consider working for them again if I move back to New Zealand. The work environment was always positive and the management team did an excellent job at making sure you were always improving on your skills. The best part of the job is getting to work with some amazing and outgoing fashionable people.
Pros
Discounted product
Cons
Working weekends
Fast paced environment
Sales Assistant / Stylist (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD30 July 2017
There is typically no time for standing around, especially on the weekends as the location and products of the store attract such a wide range of customers. As this was my first job, I had nothing to compare it to but I loved working with girls around my age and being taught the ins and outs of working in retail.
Pros
Amazing staff discounts
Great training for disposable employees
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 July 2017
While the training program used by the company is extensive and informative, the company generally view employees as people who work FOR them, not WITH them. This results in high staff turnover, poor resolution of concerns and a very disposable culture for people. Have seen it go from a tight knit family business to a money hungry, stand-on-people-to-gain-success business. Increasingly poor transparency with staff has resulted in confusion and disappointment for many employees.
enjoyed it thoroughly.
Training casual Christmas staff (Former Employee) –  Westfield St Lukes, Auckland9 June 2017
good experience. learned a lot and became a better sales representitive. built character and patience and allowed me to enhance my skills and develop more.