Glacier Media Employee Reviews

No job security.
Digital Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2019
Community newspapers are a dying medium. Glacier Media outsourced their entire graphic design department to the Philippines in 2013. They also shut down one of their properties, Kamloops Daily News, in 2014 and laid off everyone there.
Promotes unworthy people.
Art director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
Big Boys Club. Dishonest. Never rewarded long-service, dedicated employess. Dishonest management, never followed through with promises of advancement. Treated employees like they were a dime a dozen. Back-stabbing everywhere.
Pros
Benefits, Pension, stagggered work hours.
Cons
Pay, no advancement, back stabbing.
Bad company to work for
A/R (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
Really bad company to work for & Management is really bad. It's multi culture company and many people brings in over someone without any knowledge, but if manager likes you will be trained. I lot of gossip and your co-worker talking about you behind your back. If Manager doesn't like you, you can ended on the street with termination letter without cause. Since, I was there at least 35 people goes and left.
hard work
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 March 2017
Newspaper delivery was actually quite a hard job. No matter what the weather was like you have to go deliver the newspapers. But it was fun at the same time
Management cant manage
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
Worked as a designer for Glacier for many years... at first while they were Canwest it was a good company to work for, then Postmedia took over and it went downhill... after Postmedia the Glacier Group took over and the writing was on the wall... all 3 companies were poor in managing company funds and at present it shows.

They ultimately killed 60 design jobs making their community newspaper not so community oriented since all of our jobs, roughly 60 in total were sent off to India/Philippines. It's companies like Glacier and Postmedia that deserve to have government change the laws so companies who outsource are penalized each year fiscally.

So remember next time you pick up the Burnaby Now or Tri-City News remember those ads where created by someone working for less than $300 USD per month not someone in YOUR community feeding their family..... better yet, dont pick the paper up and dont advertise in this rag.
Pros
Pay was $28 plus
Cons
They never cared about staff it was bottom line in the end
marketing is like managing your own business
Sales and Marketing Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 September 2016
16 years of stable employment but times are definitely changing in print and digital media in the lower mainland of BC. Glacier has publications left in the Greater Vancouver area but no longer in the Fraser Valley.
Pros
great people
Cons
declining print industry
They were ok
Paper Carrier (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 April 2016
It's a paper company, and I delivered papers. It's what you would expect. They weren't that bad, but they weren't that good. The pay wasn't great.
Great People to work with
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 April 2016
This company has amazing people to work with. I quite enjoyed the people I worked with as well as the managers. However the paper business is a dying business and wont be around for forever.
Creative Job
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 March 2016
I worked in the production/advertising department where I created the display advertising for this community newspaper. My job was eventually outsourced to the Philippines through a company call Affinity Express. The Coquitlam Now/Glacier Media bought The Tri City News and eventually completely shut down the Coquitlam Now.
Pros
Summer BBQ
Cons
Difficult people
fast paced and constant change with a variety of work situations.
customer rep/ circulation clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 January 2016
Talked to customers and resolved delivery issues. Calculated and entered work pay sheets,reviewed daily needs for employees, checked to insure product was in warehouse. Learned how to deal with difficult people. Worked in same place for 20 years most of my work knowledge was learned with one employer. Started as manual labour and ended as manager.
Co-workers were fun to work with and very helpful. The hardest part of my job was getting up 3 hours early to get to work in Vancouver. The most enjoyable part of my job was doing a multitude of tasks. Worked with the same people for many years we became like family.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
very long hours in busy seasons
High Energy Deadline Driven
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Sechelt, BC9 October 2014
Fast paced environment that relies on the contribution of the entire team to publish a newspaper each week.
Pros
Great team of hardworking people
Cons
Corporate Culture needs adjusting
Poorly managed digital department with a negative culture
Digital Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 September 2014
Very difficult place to make any change as management will not listen to recommendations or suggestions even if you provide statistics and analytics to back it up.
Set up new products for failure with a complete lack of effective training for all sales and support staff.
"I don't like it, make it better" is the most constructive feedback that you will receive. Expectations to improve products without allowing any changes to be made; essentially they expect you to get different results but while not allowing you to do anything differently.
This company has been going through changes since the past year. New goals being created
Ad Controller (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC6 July 2012
What I enjoy the most is being kept busy, the hardest is having nothing to do all day, the challenge is gone, the learning is gone.
I start the day with some work to do, after that it's data entry as required.
I like the challenge of dealing with issues that might come up, at the end of the day I see what I have accomplished.
Co-workers are great. We find the time to laugh and have fun with each other, going out for lunches is great as we get to know each other outside the work place.
Management is distanced and not approachable, which makes it difficult at times to offer suggestions or ideas.