Glacier House Resort

Glacier House Resort Employee Reviews

Canada4 reviews
It’s hard to work somewhere that is micro managed. The owner of the resort is the general manager, and manager of all areas and all staff. Although he’s a great guy, he’s got a lot on his plate and it shows.

Front desk is treated harshly while housekeeping is treated with extreme leniency. Working as a front desk agent I got a number of complaints about the rooms almost on a daily basis.

At some point in my third week there I needed help assisting a guest. I had two other guests waiting for me and so I called to ask how to do something quickly. Instead of just telling me, he said “what do you want me to do about it? Look in your training book.” And then when I told him my situation he explained it quickly, and unhappily that he had to do so. I found this discouraging and it made me uncomfortable asking for help again.

The pay is no good for the amount of work you do, however the extracurricular activities that are available make it almost worth it. Almost.

Staff housing is tiny. If you’re sharing a room you can’t both stand up in your room at the same time comfortably. Up to 9 people will be sharing the same small kitchen. 3 of those people are lucky enough to share one bathroom and the other house members share a different one.

The location is gorgeous. I loved pulling up to the resort after I had left for a day. If you live in the accom. you’re so close to work it would take you longer to drive then to walk.

Overall a poor experience but I believe the help of an assistant manager would do this place wonders for the staff. As well the staff accommodations
 - more...
Glacier House Resort is a small tourism community, led by a business owner who is also the leader of Great Canadian Tours, it means he has a lot of things to think about. My experience at Glacier House has been really rewarding, with a great work balance and time to practice my personal activities. Work tasks and communication can sometimes be challenging when it gets busy, but it is only a matter of time to be able to gain trust and become more independent with your tasks around here. I truly believe that trust is key. I really do appreciate the missions that I am offered, and I do appreciate the fact that I am heard if I need to communicate about a topic that is important to me. The tourism sector often relies on seasonal workers and it is the case for Glacier House. We are a small team, in a small community, we are all kind of responsible for our own environment, and this is valid for seasonal or long-term employees. I assume we just expect people who join to act like responsible and caring adults! Here, you can meet people from everywhere. If you are friendly and social, you can get lots of fun with kind colleagues and housemates for whoever will stay in the staff accommodation! If you are quiet, your space will be respected. It is just a matter of communication. Revelstoke is an expensive little town, so the staff accommodation is a great option. Please just respect whoever is going to live with you. When it is high peak season, you can be asked to share. But consider this is a great and cheap place to start in Revy, and an opportunity to evaluate what is best for you, - more...
Pros
Wildlife, surroundings, mountain view, winter ski, summer hikes, all outdoor activities, staff accommodatio, staff van for short trips
Cons
a bit isolated, having your own transport could make a difference
Staff accommodation was subsidized, located on premises, allowing for punctual and reliable start times.
Housekeeping was generally jam-packed and kept employees busy, however down-periods lead to early days which was detrimental to our paychecks at the end of the pay period.

Conditions were not favourable in winter due to the snow impacting efficiency of the employees, however this could have been addressed better if management listened to our suggestions more and tried to provide us alternatives.

The workplace culture was pretty good. Had lots of interactions with guests when they entered and departed the buildings, as well as coworkers were all happy and approachable individuals.

The hardest part of the job was time-management for individual employees. Due to frequent and quick staff resignations, some employees were given difficult tasks of completing all 26 accommodations (lodge rooms and cabins) by themselves, which requires overtime and lots of enthusiasm.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to communicate with coworkers who can sympathize and respect your hard work. Equally, when guests noted your efforts and thanked you verbally was quite rewarding.
Pros
50% food discounts, cheap rent, staff sled days
Cons
Varied hours (short and long), lack of communication between management and staff, unreliable equipment
It is a small resort where you are able to get to know all of the other employees and guests on a more personal level. Most of the employees are form different corners of the world so it has a very nice multi-cultural environment. It is a very relaxed place with a lot of cross departmental work, so it is never boring.
Pros
on site accommodation, a chance to interact with the guests
Cons
isolated if you dont have your own transport