Gibbs & Cox Employee Reviews

Good people
Sr. Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA21 January 2019
When they have work, the workplace environment is great because everyone is busy. When they slow down they start to micromanage and it can be a pain a little bit. But there are a lot of good people there who want you to work hard and will help you do it.
this is a contract design shop for the US Navy
Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY22 August 2018
The company is at the mercy of the US Navy engineering commands that hand out engineering contracts to complete ship designs. The staffing and opportunities rise and fall with the contracts.
Pros
good entry level job
Cons
sweat shop, driven by US Navy contracts
Short fused program
Assistant Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VA6 June 2018
contract to design the Australian Warfare destroyer. there were unique issues in that half the staff was in Australia requiring establishing a coordination between staff,
Pros
Location of office
Cons
Working with staff in Australia
Work was very interesting and diversified.
Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 April 2018
Work was very interesting and diversified.
People that I worked with were very professional.
Pay was good and the benefits were good.
Accuired a lot of experience.
Professional
Jr. Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA3 February 2018
Up-dating drawings and references, how to reference, draw and up-date existing drawings, department supervisory, architectural design, no levels of difficulty working and the best thing I like about the position were the competitive pay.
Pros
competitive and professional
Cons
length of employment
enjoyed working here-learned new job skills
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VA 2220211 January 2018
I really enjoyed my time with Gibbs & Cox. My supervisor was very supportive and nice.I learned a new job skill in this position which will help me in future positions. The entire team was very professional and hard-working.
Good place to work and great people
Manager Frank Smith (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VA 2360617 November 2017
Excellent place to work, great management, good people to work, very friendly and professional. Good environment. The location is great. Excellent place to learn new things; great training.
great company to work for.
Senior Engineer Tech (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VA9 October 2017
Many jobs /tasks were very challenging and I enjoyed the pase always busy, G&C was very employee friendly and The management was helpful in every way. the computers were all updated along with all programs.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
Gibbs is an excellent place to work in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering.
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VA18 September 2017
This is by any metric a great place to work, if at all possible try to stay away from the New York and Alexandria offices due to the cost of living there. If you are on track for upper management, then those offices are a good choice.
Pros
Reasonable hours, variety of projects available to work on, good benefits
Cons
Centered in major cities with all of the drawbacks that entails
Na
Electrical CAD/Designer-Senior (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VA22 February 2017
The job was very intense hard to do and very unpredictable. They showed a lot of favoritism two others in the workforce. The quality of work was pretty good however it was considered working at a sweatshop
Extremely Conservative with an emphasis on government bureaucracy
Senior Principal Naval Architect (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VA18 May 2016
Management in this company lacks the ability to mentor or assign work. A typical day would revolve around soliciting sufficient work to maintain billable hours to project without the use of overhead cost. Senior staff was expected to mentor and provide guidance to the junior staff that was primaraly made up of college graduates with little or no experience. Most co workers were very supportive of each other to maintain a confident flow of product.
As I was on the road or working from home my interaction with the company was very limited and they did not bother to keep me appraised of the developments that were occurring within the company. (An attitude of out of site out of mind which prevailed for numerous employees) The most enjoyable part of the job was the iteraction with my fellow employees and the clients I served.
Pros
Indenpence to work from home.
Cons
Lack of leadership in all aspect from the COE to my manager
Work load not too excessive
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC9 March 2016
All around bad for entry level, due to no training, management provides zero support what so ever. Very difficult to achieve personal growth goals with no structure internally.
Cons
Petty Coworkers, management, no training, little growth
Excellent
Intern (Former Employee) –  Virginia28 February 2016
Good Company. Strong company that only does what it is good at. Great work atmosphere and wonderful culture. Excellent choice for ship designing needs.
Multi Task
Cost Accountant / Estimator / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 January 2016
Marine Architect & Naval Engineering Firm

Worked my way up from assistant to Cost Accountant/Estimator/Account Manager

Responsible for Proposals, Proposal submission, Contracts, reports to upper management
Pros
Cons
Compenstion for work I was performing.
Great long term company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA24 October 2014
This is an 85 year old firm and it acts like one in many respects. The management is solid, not forward thinking so there is no 5 year plan, but they are good people. They keep their word and have a sense of integrity and dignity. The only big problem is that the margins are low below 7 percent and the business is inconsistent as it is mostly (not all) defense and government related. If they get over 300-400 employees and have a ton more contracts, I can see them leveling off a bit and doing more to keep people happy.

They offer a 3 percent contribution to your 401k regardless of your contribution, automatically you get it. Plus a 3 percent match on top of that.

The location is great in Arlington and the culture is stiff and lacking. Generally you work in your team Silo and those are your work friends and experience of the shop.

Only folks who love designing ships and working for the Navy should really join this company. They are passionate and amazing at that mission.

Lots of engineers know best thinking going on.
Good work place
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA26 May 2013
Enjoyed working at Gibbs but they ran out of work. I used ship constructor for all 3-D modeling and drawing layouts.
Pros
great experiance
Cons
loss of work
Productive place I liked the environment
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA15 August 2012
I would like to work there again I like the fact that there was little to no micromanagement and I liked to learn new ideals on how to do design more efficiently.
Pros
i loved the fact that design and engineering worked closely together, and there wasn't much animosity between them, which i believe to be the main cause of the success of the project
Cons
the new electrical design manager had no experience in management, and ran the dept. as if he was still a contractor, causing huge budget issues that led to the layoff of 3/4 of the dept.
Review
Designer Draftsman (Former Employee) –  New York, NY3 August 2012
Gibbs & cox was one of the best engineering firms I've worked for in the late 80's it was a wonderfull experience.
Work atmosphere was enjoyable and plenty of places to eat.
CAD/Designer-Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VA19 July 2012
My typical day at work was usually working overtime meeting deadlines and looking for that 45 min lunch break. What I learned If you are a slacker your out the door! Management was always good to me and provided overtime to resolve addition jobs that were pending. The hardest part of the job was checking a job that was not complete and meeting the deadline. The enjoyable part the job was the co-workers acted like a team and communication was a plus.
Pros
end of the month free lunches, christmas bonus
Cons
flex time
Compensation is good despite the excellerated work schedule. Job security is not good but not bad either
SR Staff CAD Designer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VA19 June 2012
A typical work day would include two meets, review of previsous day work to supply a status of work flow. Manage any previously discussed issues.
Pros
free lunches once a month. free coffee.
Cons
short breaks, no break room. notification of work over the week end comes on short notice.