Giant Tiger Employee Reviews for Cashier

Toxic environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON12 July 2018
Always short staffed,Never two days off in a row,Management is best described as Shady alot of the time,Management will LITERALLY hide and watch you as you work. If you dont want a personal life want to fall deeper into depression and love being watched apply now
Pros
Friendly Co Workers For most part
Cons
Everything else
long hours no human decency
Cashier (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON3 June 2018
Typical Shift: Cashier
10 min before start: must be in the break room
5 min before shift: must be clocking in and ready to start
start : be on till and helping customers
before break (if any): super busy, management telling you to hurry up even when your going as fast as humanly possible
after break til end of shift: same as before break but being constantly worried about the time. if your not on the ball you can "accidentally" stay for like a half hour after your shift was supposed to end because management forgot about you.
close: you can't kick anyone out, if someone gets in before 9, they can technically stay till 10 while the rides of EVERY EMPLOYEE are waiting in the parking lot.
after the last customer leaves: money is taken from registers (doors are locked beforehand) and other employees clean the store until the closing manager tells us we can leave.
clocking out: wait in line at the monitor, grab your stuff and wait at the door til the alarm is set

all around impression: good for a highschool job but dont expect human decency from anyone
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
management
Good and fun environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB30 May 2018
Learnt a lot while being a cashier at Giant Tiger with very helpful staff and nice customers who were always supportive. Good place to be employed at.
Productive Work Enivorment
Cashier, Tickets Items, Back Store Work (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2018
Working Day To Day At Giant Tiger Was A Enjoyable Work Environment My Co-Workers Were Nice , I Learned Ticketing Items, Stocking Items, Lotto & Tobacco Customer Service . Management Was Great.
Fun, Joyful, Relaxed.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 May 2018
Everyone gets along like some best friends. You feel good about your job because the prices are fair so you dont feel like you're ripping off the customers. Not to mention you get a great discount and its a Canadian company!
A lovely lunch room was available to us. With everything that we would need to prepare or heat our lunch
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 May 2018
I liked working at Giant Tiger!. As cashier I loved meeting the people who some of which I became friends. Many of the customers would only come through my till as I was always interested in knowing how they were. This did not affect my work. I can work fast and still chat. Giant Tiger has times when it is extremely busy. When they are all employees in the store are trained to do cash. So when they were needed to help us they came up and chipped in. A wonderful idea to help take care of customers quickly so they can go home or on with their days.
The owner was a very nice man, always pleasant and acknowledged us as employees.
I would say the hardest part of the job (which did no affect me) was when it was extremely busy. As everywhere in cities people tent to come in at various times and many at one time. It was our job as cashiers to cash them out with a friendly smile and word and send them off with a smile.
Most enjoyable: I love meeting people!
Pros
Marvellous lunch room
Cons
No cons that I can think of
why i loved my job?
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 May 2018
i loved this job because it was always busy and i need to be busy at work, i need to be getting things done to see what i have done. i got to work with many of my friends and got all mu jobs well done!
Pros
my friends were there
Cons
only 30min lunches
Great Place to work
cashier on a daily basis (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON8 April 2018
Worked as a cashier. The job itself is easy and not very challenging. I love working in Customer service and really enjoyed meeting new people everyday. There are not a lot of hours though. It is a good part- time job
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 March 2018
Working a Giant tiger was a great experience working with customers was wonderful and a pleasant experience. I was always busy never a dull moment, I like to be constantly busy.I learned a lot about customer service and what it means to work in the customer service field. Management, for the most part, was awesome, they were always understanding about missed time and they always made sure their employees were in a safe and fun environment.The most enjoyable part of the job was, the people I worked with, they made it the most fun.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Busy, grocery store,
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB5 March 2018
Giant tiger is a good place to work part time, store is over crowded, very popular place to shop, lots of positions and new people to meet. management is good.

Want to know more about Giant Tiger?

Ask a question
Working at Giant Tiger
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON1 March 2018
Some thing that I learned working at Giant Tiger is how to provide amazing customer service and working as a team with the staff. The hardest part of working at Giant Tiger is probably working and balancing school at the same time.
Pros
If you do good, you'll end up getting a gift card for the store
Cons
The environment
coworkers were kind, the management; not so much
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ON6 February 2018
I was only hired during the summer when I first started working. This was due to the fact a lot of the full time staff go away and this is their busiest time of year. They keep people right up until the three month probation period, then let them go without valid reason.
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
management
Productive and pleasant place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON17 January 2018
Working a Giant tiger was a great experience working with customers was wonderful and pleasant experience. I was always busy never a dull moment, which I like to be constantly busy.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Evening Shifts
Nice working environment
Cashier/Retail worker (Former Employee) –  Sutton, ON14 January 2018
Friendly working environment. I enjoyed the variety of jobs including cashier, stocking shelves, catering to the changerooms, keeping the floor clear.
great
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 January 2018
they were great my coworkers were awesome it is very much a team environment. i left because of m own personal things going on. if i were able to i would go back.
Good working environment
Cashier and Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB5 January 2018
Despite one employee, the rest were wonderful staff members and felt like family. Everyone helped each other and kept the work environment cheerful and pleasant.
fun and energised work place with great managers and staff
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK12 December 2017
ive learned to be quick on my feet and be able to adapt to any situation. the staff and management are amazing to work with. it s over all an enjoyable workplace.
pleasant place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB22 November 2017
busy place to work
learned to work with multi-aboriginal people in a new country
Had a very great manager in 2005 to 2009
it was difficult to deal with shop lifters and alcoholism customer
Pros
good manger
Cons
staff roll over was high
Good Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Summerside, PE9 November 2017
A typical day was ringing things in and putting merchandise into appropriate bags. I learned how to work quickly, how to work a till, and to be open and talkative. The hardest part of the job was keeping up when things got really busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all sorts of people.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Hours weren't set
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS27 October 2017
Training process was very unorganized and I felt like I wasn't fully trained before I started working with customers. Staff was overall very unorganized. Wasn't a very enjoyable job. Most of the staff were pleasant, some were not. The often mixed up my shifts and scheduled me for days when I said I couldn't work. This happened more than three times.
Pros
Discounts on all products
Cons
Only seemed to have 9 hour shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Tiger. Our community is ready to answer.