Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Good for teens

Good place to start working. I had good hours and very nice staff, almost all managers were amazing to work with and great mentors, one was a little… questionable. Owner was nice and always gave the time requested off. Overall good experience and enjoyed working there over my 10 months

Pros

Good breaks, time off almost always given.

Cons

Sometimes more hours than wanted

Careless company

The managers and supervisors show no care what so ever, they pick favourites and give bad hours to part time workers. There always hiring but then give the new workers no hours.

Pros

Cons

Disrespectful careless unorganized

If you like stress and no staff this is the job for you

Staffing cuts poor benefits and the covid stress of the past 19 months has made the job unbearable at times.The health benefits are about $120 a month for basic coverage.Morale is very low in most of the stores in west as far as I know.No investment in better technology the online ordering is unable to keep up with demand and frequently crashes. I give the company another 10 years and it will be going the way of most other department stores.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Long hours no appreciation

The Manager and staff are great to work with

The managers are friendly and they are fair.The staff is awesome group of peoplethe store has a friendly atmosphereI liked working there and would go back if I had the chance to again

Pros

free lunch once a month

Cons

sometimes long hours

Giant Tiger Experience !

For a part time job the pay was good, benefits were great and the job itself was fine. The staff are super friendly and are like a family. The supervisor and manager are friendly as well. The only issue is they are short on staff. I found myself being at two places at once and doing two jobs at once. Customers got frustrated when I was not in the area I originally work in because I’m being called to fill another position at the same time. I had to make sure both work was done at the end of the day. As well, poor training!! The training was majority on a computer and you had to read and sit there for a hour instead of actually being trained for a day with somebody. The training was very simple and not detailed like supposed to. The training didn’t even include certain aspects that are simply needed. Lastly, if you are in university or finishing high school do not expect for it to be a good place and easy to work here. They over schedule due to filling in other peoples “sick weeks” and do not realize the duties of a student. Overall, I would say the benefits and pay are great and the staff are super friendly and welcoming but the poor training, short staffed and support for students needs are very poor and need some major improvement.

Pros

Breaks, Discounts, Christmas Benefits (pay wise) if working those days

Cons

Short staffed, Poor training

Mauvais Employeur à Donnacona

L’employeur met beaucoup trop de pression. L’employeur a de grosses attentes envers ses employés. L’ambiance est bonne entre collegues, mais très mauvaise relation entre l’employeur et les employés. Vaut mieux ne pas travailler pour lui. Vous allez perdre votre estime de vous.) Je vous conseille fortement de chercher ailleurs si vous voulez un emploi à long therme.

Pros

Bon collègue

Cons

Mauvais Patron

Stressful and drama filled

My biggest issue working at Giant Tiger was management. Our store manager was not respectful and he spoke down to a lot of us. Our supervisors were pretty unprofessional and didn’t know how to properly supervise. Many times there would be certain people that carried others through their work with no consequences. Favourites were played BIG TIME. Health and safety wasn’t ideal either (maggots in the produce, food boxes sitting on the bare floor all night and no air conditioning on 30°c+ days).

Pros

Friendships

Cons

Management, food safety, Heath and safety

Awesome place to work.

I worked at one of the Kitchener locations and I had the time of my life. It's a great environment to work in. Management is very understanding and you really feel like you belong.

Pros

Good management, good environment, some benefits

Cons

Less flexible hours

A great place to work!

I absolutely love working with the Giant Tiger Ecommerce Team; working there has an amazing atmosphere everyone is supportive of one another. I feel motivated, valued and appreciated. I love my Job! On a typical day, I spend most of my time blissfully writing up specifications for products. I love how it encourages creativity. I love thinking of how I can make items sound more appealing! (Not that it is needed the products are generally pretty great). When I am not writing copy, I am sending the completed spreadsheets off to be translated. Another thing I love about working there is my interactions with the translation department. Very good vibes.Giant Tiger is an excellent place to work, I would strongly recommend it.

Pros

Amazing atmosphere

Good work environment, Staff are great

Very busy environment, with assisting customers with complaints and merchandise inquiries. Management are good to work for, but morale of working environment could use some work. Downfal lof this job is always shortstaffing issues.

Pros

The staff

Cons

Short staffed and management not very understanding

Jobs at Giant Tiger

See more jobs

It’s ok, but location is toxic

I’ve been employed with Giant Tiger since Sept 2020. It’s ok. I like the company, I enjoy working for Giant Tiger, the company. The London location I work for sadly is quite toxic though. Negative work environment and Managers appear oblivious to it and don’t seem to interested in hearing your concerns. Back room Manger is condescending and very rude all the time.Managers are very quick to point out what you’re doing wrong but never what you’re doing right. Currently considering transferring or leaving as it’s impacting mental health.

Pros

Good Company, employee discount

Cons

Toxic, no communication or feedback, Negative environment, Stock/Backroom Mgr. Rude and condescending.

It was. Very nice place and quite

Helping people to find new things at the store and the customer asked and they buy new stuff for the family it was a pretty good place to work it was very quiet

Pros

9:00 from 4:00

Cons

12:00 form 1:00

A quoi vous attendez-vous ?

J'ai travaillé de l'ouverture du magasin et pendant 2 ans au magasin de Matane.Mettons ca au clair : c'est du commerce de détail, pas une job au gouvernement, alors ne vous attendez pas à ne pas faire grand chose et avoir de grosses conditions. Quand on y pense honnêtement, mis à part les postes de supervisions, ca devrait être des emplois de passage (étudiants ou personnes sans éducation/spécialisation)ou d'appoint (femme au foyer qui travaille à temps partiel ou pré-retraités qui veulent demeurer actifs par exemple), mais faire carrière dans le détail, ca prend beaucoup de courage et de sacrifices. Pour mon expérience, je n'y ai trouvé que du positif. J'ai appris que les gens qui servent les clients au quotidien ont bien plus à faire que de ramasser ce que laissent trainer les clients (commentaire entendu quotidiennement), que les taches sont variées et que tout ce qu'on fait (ou ne fait pas), à une incidence sur les résultats du magasin. Le gérant nous expliquait quels impacts avaient nos actes et décisions afin qu'on prenne les bonnes décisions, et penser et agir comme si on était les propriétaires. Il faisait beaucoup de travail lui-même, et tentait de développer au mieux les employés, mais il y a un bon roulement, ce qui fait que c'est toujours à recommencer. De plus, c'est rarement des superstars qui appliquent, alors faut faire des petits miracles au quotidien. Les conditions sont biens, comme annoncées en entrevue (salaire, 1 weekend sur 2, 2 soirs par semaine, horaire variable, congés lorsque demandés à l'avance, etc...). Si vous acceptez à l'embauche, ne vous -

Pros

Rabais-employé

Cons

Heures d'ouverture

Fun and friendly coworkers and bosses where really great

I liked working there got really good at checking out large orders. Friendly staff easy to talk to management. If you had a problem they help out. Thank you giant tiger for letting me part if the crew

Pros

Great to work for

Cons

Entreprise a éviter si vous désirez une ambiance de travail respectueuse

- Salaire minable et conditions de travail ridicules;-le personnel change souvent et les superviseurs sont sous pression;-le direction est très exigeante et manque de respect envers les employés;-les clients retournent souvent les produits de piètre qualité et de fâchent.-Les employés ne peuvent utiliser leur cellulaire sinon ils sont menacés de congédiement.-Etant donné le changement fréquent d'employé, l'ambiance de travail est médiocre.

Pros

polo fourni

Cons

Forte pression, ne peut pas utiliser le cellulaire, ambiance stressante

Team players all the way

I like.the people I work with.everything goes great when one team member helps another to finish a job.the distinctive one goal that's to find the best deals at giant tiger,that's what we do.we hey customers find the best deals.

Pros

Benifits

Cons

Sometimes hours get cut.

An absolute joke

For etobicoke location specific: Unrealistic expectations, unfair pay, and toxic environment. If you’re just looking for a minimum wage job, this ain’t it. Management here is an absolute joke. I understand that you get paid to do a job… but it is expected that this job is the only thing you have going in your life. Need a personal day? Probably not likely. Family emergency? That’s inconvenient, can you still make it in? There is little to no understanding of how to work as a team, most often being that cashiers get shafted with little staff and having to take the blame from customers for it. No one is willing to help each other out, despite that being listed in the job descriptions. When brought to managements attention as well, it is just laughed about and never dealt with. The manager only cares about making money and does not care about any other aspect of how the store runs. Employees were basically falling apart from being overworked and the pile kept on growing. No regard for health and safety, especially during covid.For a minimum wage job, find something better, or go to another location. This branch is not worth it.

benefits

Cons

long hours, negative environment, bad management

Very fast paced and overwhelming

This was my first job and I didn't feel that they prepared me well enough. They never showed me right from wrong before I did something wrong and I felt like I wasn't a part of the team.

friendly

While I worked at giant tiger I became friends with few of the coworkers, we had fun on our shifts and would do our job professionally. The whole time I was working at giant tiger in La RongeI learned how to take care of myself and budget my money properly.

Pros

Discounts, friendly staff

Cons

Bad customer, anxiety

Dying is a better option

One of the worst places to work in history!! Management treats their staff like garbage . They always want more than what’s required. If you do do more than what’s required and they don’t like you you won’t go anywhere in that place. If you go on evenings you get worked to death cause that’s the only shift that actually does work and of course the other shifts get to go home. I recommend to stay away if you like sanity. If you do start working pray to god that you get out.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Terrible management

environnement de travail

l'emploi en général est bien et les autres employé sont super par contre le respect patron employé peut laisser à désirer

Pros

bonne équipe de travail

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Tiger. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare Giant Tiger with

• Giant Tiger
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?