Giant Tiger Employee Reviews

Great and warming place to work at
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 November 2018
A typical day as a Giant Tiger sales associate was very relaxed but could sometimes be stressful when busy. From my experience with GT, I have learned a lot about working in Customer service, Cashier, Stocking departments such as hard goods and Grocery and I also did some merchandising here and there The management treated me very fairly and just. The workplace culture was very warm and it felt like a family. The hardest and most non enjoyable part of the job was working with customer service and dealing with challenging customers who would not behave.
Pros
Employee discount 10 % and 20% off
Cons
Would not always get out on time
Associate. Work hard for little pay. Micromanaged. A lot of drama.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Smithville, ON19 November 2018
You don't get trained properly but expected to do a perfect job. Just watched short training videos that mostly just promoted Giant Tiger. More like promotional videos. Was futile..
Manager spent no time training you., co-workers didn't because had no time to and didn't really care to. Manager expects too much work from employees for lousy pay and has favorites. Overworked and not appreciated. Felt like a peon.Mostly clean up after customers messing up everything, dirty store. Most customers low lifes and messy.

Drama and back stabbing among coworkers. Can't trust anyone. Same in any retail. Everyone competing for manager approval. Higher ups have attitude. Toxic environment. No job security. You're disposable.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
Fun workplace
Fashion stylist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2018
In a typical day in my last position I fulfilled of opening and closing, as well as overseeing a staff of seven individuals. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phones, drafting documents and emails, filing and greeting customers. I also provided strong customer service and resolved customer issues.
Pros
No lunches
Cons
short breaks
The culture with the fellow staff is always great
Senior Full-time Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON1 December 2018
Giant Tiger Welland is a place that where the workplace culture is the best aspect of the job, you can easily have a good time with fellow employees and also get the job done with ease, which is a great thing to look forward to on a long day.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
difficult to request certain days off, occasional rude customers
Fast paced and hetic work, organization needs to be improved by higher managment.
PRODUCE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 December 2018
An establishment that values its top managers over everything else. The customers are usually valued very highly but the way that the managers operate is not a way that managers should operate. Some of the employees are very rude and judgemental.
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Mediocre bosses
Nice place to work, co-workers are nice and very professional.
Fashion Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON2 October 2018
I’ve been working there for many years. It was fun and I had a good experience dealing with nice & bad customers. You have to experience this kind of job so you grow as a nice individual. My co-workers are nice & professionals, well ...few are not. Company trained you from time to time especially customer service that most of us need to not just in a retail an office environment as well, as some offices workers doesn’t know about customer’s service!
Pros
Flexible, 1 hour break and 2 15mins break
Cons
Minimum wage for starter
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2018
Good place to work you get to deliver two different places deliveries are easy for the most part equipment is clean and fairly good problem is they do not pay well at all and you eventually leave no overtime till after 60 hours and if you get over 60 hours they will cut it back so you don't get overtime start pay is around $17
Pros
Cons
Pay is not good at all that's why people leave
Great place for a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB17 September 2018
Giant Tiger is the perfect place if you're looking for a job on little to no experience. My co-workers were great, the pay was decent for a retail job, and the breaks were longer than they needed to be (didn't really appreciate that until I left and realized that wasn't the norm).
Pros
Hour long lunches, decent employee discount
Cons
Scheduling isn't super flexible, only get the schedule one week in advance
Don't bother.
Forklift Operator/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 September 2018
Management has botched the transition to the new warehouse. Sending product back to the old warehouses, because they can't offload fast enough, despite taking 90% of our staff. No wage increases for existing employees moving to the new facility. New wage increase for part time/agency associates IN THE INTEREST OF KEEPING THEM HIRED, but no increase for existing employees running out their contract. There is no incentive to actually do your job anymore, as there is no enforced consequence for not doing it. Incentives target non-employees, makes the company seem like they don't care about their employees running out their contracts.
Pros
Cons
Health n Safety isn't enforced, running stop signs, loose product high in the racking, fire hoses/fire columns inaccessible due to pallets in the way, etc...
was a reasonably enjoyable workplace
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON11 January 2019
managers delegated our daily activities and did not ask for our input or ideas and did not show much appreciation for our hard work.

typical day would be helping customers find what they are looking for and assist them with fitting rooms.
Fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Shawville, QC3 November 2018
I am a cashiere and I find it often not stimulating enough, I need more to my day to day roles and duties. I want to use my brain more, i actually miss school and need more responsibility and want a job where there is room for advancement and I need to wake more money.
Great envirnonent to work in
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2018
Direct supervisor was great to work with and was very knowledgeable in operations of the warehouse. During my development in a leadership role I took many ques and instructions from him to continue learning how to handle and manage employees. It was always a fun environment and enjoyed the people I worked with.
Family-oriented job culture with flexible hours
Softgoods Supervisor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
A great place to work for that makes you care about the job you are doing without constantly being micromanaged and disciplined. Very little chance for advancement
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Little chance for advancement, minimum wage
The staff is amazing to work with
Supervisor, cashiers - retail (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ON28 August 2018
- Always working costumers
- Always on my feet
- I learned teamwork, communications, and organization
- People I work with are freindly always there to help each others out
- What I love about my work is that we can joke around with each other and have fun
Pros
being around people
Cons
not getting paid enough
ok place overall Canadian company
Fashion Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON19 December 2018
The company is okay to work for overall, but there is too much micro managing as the managers don't know how to manage properly. Endlessly doing the same thing over and over again.
Pros
Canadian Company
Cons
Micro managed
company that truly values their employees
Human Resources and Payroll associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2019
This is an organization that takes excellent care of their staff - great work/life balance. They make every effort to create a positive impact on the people who shop at the stores.
great place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Manitoba10 December 2018
lots of perks to working for a company like Giant Tiger. The associates get one hour lunch breaks, christmas parties, pot lock lunches, free birthday cake and your birthday schedued day off.
Pros
birthday cake
Excellent growing company
Category Manager - Grocery (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 July 2018
Great opportunity at GT and lots of growth now and in the future. Management is a little dated and not overly interested in change or evolution. Heard too many times that "this is how it's always been done". That being said, i would definitely recommend this company to anybody. The future looks bright and lot has already changed since I left.
Order Picker
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  ottawa,ont7 August 2018
Not a bad place to work if you don't mind hard work, raises are above average, Cross training on fork lifts is available. In your reviews they like to ask you what you would like to learn. Monthly meeting, management little side track lately with move to Johnstown,Ont happening
Pros
Perks with job and discount
Cons
Piece count pushed
Had potential
Cash Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2018
The work environment was not what it had the potential to be.
It had many areas that needed attention and the theft rate was astronomical.

The hours allotted for staff were minimal.
Pros
discounted items
Cons
not managed well by head office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Tiger. Our community is ready to answer.