GFL Environmental Employee Reviews

Driver (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 May 2018
Great place to work and great people to work with ,great benefits and job security only job where there is no layoff most weekends off paid Holidays not stuck inside working great to be able to drive truck all day and be home every night and weekends .
real wonderful work place
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2018
can be very hectic but fun and very wonderful on a nice sunny day. learnt a lot about truck and the safety about the trucking world. also learnt about WHMIS. The employees at GFL is great they are unique and from many different background. it is a wonderful job but if you don't have a work mind it will become boring and stressful.
Pros
one lunch and two breack
Cons
work more than 12hrs daily
Employment was good,
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
Employment was good, pay was good, hours were good, the people were good, the location was good, thanks for your interest about my employer. Hours were good.
Compensation and Benefits
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2018
Compensation and Benefits were not bad. Employees are able to work lots of overtime and the benefits package is competitive.
Overall work life balance was also fair.
Bad Bad Bad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Aurora7 March 2018
Stay away, long hours, bad management, old and dirty trucks, no respect, not save environment, salary is so-so for job which nobody wants to do, lots of injuries.
Physically demanding outdoor labour
Loader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 March 2018
I started working at GFL in July of 2017, and it was a new experience for me as it was my first time doing waste management. Days would start at 6:15 with weekly hours ranging from 40 hours to 50+.

I learned how to use my body in an efficient way making lifting heavy object easier and less stressful on the body. I also learned how to operate levers in order to crush garbage, signals directing traffic as well as my driver, and communication skills when explaining or just communicating with residents.

Management was okay as they were always organized in having the job running, but the way it played out sometimes didn't settle well. This didn't create limitations for me but more so longer unnecessary hours.

The hardest part of the job was the elements, as well as the heavy lifting, but both taught me how to work through different environments.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the amount of freedom i had while performing my tasks as i didn't always have someone watching over my shoulder telling me what to do. It was a simple task and they trusted me to fulfill their needs as a co-worker which i appreciated.
Pros
outdoors, physically active
Cons
long hours, hard on body, unpredictable elements
Gfl
Driver (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 February 2018
A good company to work for. I have worked in the industry for six years and have enjoyed the work I do with the company. There are some very good people to work with.
I worked on the back of the rearside packer collecting curbside garbage and the odd time recycle
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 February 2018
I loved working there as a pitcher! I woke up early every morning excited to go and every time I got home from work, I had a everything ready for the next morning.
Gfl has the best people!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Nova Scotia14 February 2018
I have loved every minute of my time here at GFL. The people who work here and the customers we serve are the best. Waste! Who would have dreamed it could be so fun!!

I laugh every day at work and I have the best boss in the world! He is extremely busy, but takes the time to listen when it really counts! I work with extremely talented people who challenge me to be better every day!

I have never been so happy at work!
bad
outside worker (Former Employee) –  delat11 February 2018
just not good place no repsect not caring pay not good to much blame on workers unsafe money means more the worker dusty hot cold lots of fighting lll
Pros
no lunch
bad
Good if managment leaves you alone
Driver loader (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON31 January 2018
You would be working against weather , public , and management.
City keep expanding, we still have same number of trucks and employees.
Pay is low, over time starts after 10 hrs I don't know why !!
10 hours is minimum a day if you ask them to leave they'll get mad at ya.
You get injured they get mad ..
If you get the job say good bye to your family and your life .
Pros
Non
Cons
Bad management.
potential to be an industry leader
Roll Off Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON22 January 2018
Good company to work for. Unfortunately, because of being unionised, advancement is based on time served and not by work ethics. Co workers are usually more than willing to help make everybody's day better. Supervisors and Managers very approachable
Pros
good pay, always trying to improve
Cons
unionized
Worst company I’ve ever worked for!
Front end/rear pack dz driver (Current Employee) –  Cherry st. Toronto21 January 2018
Working as front end rear pack driver out of the cherry st location in Toronto. It is the most horribly managed company I’ve ever worked for. Currently there are over 30 broken down trucks in the mechanic shop. The work load is unrealistic started with 50-60 calls, I am currently expected to complete 100-180 pick up a day and increasing. Any time you fall behind you are called in and are yelled at, this happened even when I had a week on the job and was still learning. Not saying every yard is like this but from what I’ve experienced at cherry st. Do not work here. Looking for a new job as I write this. Management makes constant promises of things to get better and equipment to be fixed, and nothing ever happens or gets better. Every morning in the locker room all you hear is other employees talking about how much they hate it and can’t wait to find a better job. F GFL...
Pros
Cons
Bad mgmt/poor maintenance
Not fun to work at
Cable roll off driver (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 January 2018
If you want no life and micro managed go work for them pay sucks and so do the management people are ok to work with but there's a lot of back stabing and favoritism in the company
Pros
Cons
Everthing
dont work here
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
management is a joke. they broke my contract with in months of working there. lay off the guys who work to keep the ones that don't around. pay is awful.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not bad company
Office (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2018
Gfl is an ok company. Management is a bit top heavy and they seem to allow staff that have been with company a long time a lot of rope, even if there are issues and complaints. They tend to play favorites.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay, management.
N6 Aurora
Route Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 January 2018
dispatch drivers and loaders to appropriate routes
working with management to ensure all training up to date
fast paced env.
managing 70+ employees
team environment
Pros
positive atmosphere
Cons
Lots of hours, not much room for advancement.
Senior Driver/ Picker operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2018
Great company if you don't mind putting lots of hours in the summer, in the winter it slows down a lot. They pay over time, so it's a good idea to budget for the slower season in winter do you can pay all your bills. Home every night, not a lot of room for advancement.
Pros
Home every night
Bad managers/supervisors
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB7 December 2017
Managers constantly push to get trucks fixed and back on the roads even when they are unsafe. We had a meeting and we're told to stay late and work overtime to finish jobs then 2 months later they cut the overtime right before Christmas so they can collect year end bonuses which caused the shop to get behind. Managers would rather sit in offices than help in the shop. Always understaffed. No tool allowance. No Christmas bonus. Only closed 2 days a year( Christmas and New Years. And again horribly managed head in the sand type managers. Most management came from waste management which is also a poorly managed company.
Pros
Wage/benefits
Cons
Bad management
Construction worker
Construction Labourer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2017
Nice place to work at first. No job security or respect from higher ups.
Liked supervisor.
Great money at first, but they like long hours, which isn't always manageable.
Did learn a bit.
Pros
Money
Cons
Ridiculous bosses/supervisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.