GFL Environmental
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

GFL Environmental Employee Reviews

Canada319 reviews

driverlabourtruckgarbagesafetyyardroutemechanic

overloaded, and some unsafe places

Work overload! Some places where you had to get dumpsters and disposal was unsafe. And hardly ever had time to break to make sure u had your run finished before days end. Physically demanding.

Fun & Productive

I started with GFL 8yrs ago as a collection driver. Since then my managers have let me advance and also helped me advance into different roles. Everyone has been supportive and you do get recognized for a job well done. I have worked with other big companies and with GFL I see this company as place I can retire at. I have met all levels of management and Everyone is down to earth and supportive. I would not hesitate to give GFL a try for your next place of employment.

Insights into GFL Environmental

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

No job security

Not a great company to work for . Politics is bad no support from management. Favourite gets positions no rules . Managers hire family members and fire others

Cons

Good place to start a driving career or retire.

Work is not hard. Just need to show up and do the job. Pay is fair and management works well. Worst part is the weather. Dress proper and you're fine.

Drama filled

GFL was originally a great place to work, but in the year I worked there, the atmosphere quickly dissolved and became quite dramatic and chaotic, with unfair pay and employees clashing as the main sources of drama. I myself put in my notice after consistent errors from my supervisor and being treated as the odd one out, in addition to being paid less than the newest hire (5 weeks as of now) after being there for a year. Nothing against the new kid at all, he’s great, but it’s really annoying to be paid less than the newbie.

Great benefits and Understanding Managementt

Alot of people look at just the hourly wage and don't realize everything else the company has to offer. Benefits are good and RRSP program is there for you as well. Great staff across the board and tons of opportunity. Been working for them for a few years now and was brought on through an acquisition and now have been in the industry for 11 years. Got to admit everything got better when GFL was brought into the picture.

Excellent Place to work at GFL Liquids

After reading negative reviews on GFL I would have to say that most of those come from the GFL Solids (Garbage Division). The GFL Liquids has many opportunities to grow and advance. In this division we do anything from oil recycling, working with vacuum trucks, fleet maintenance, specialized services including CSE jobs and we have HAZMAT teams across Canada that respond to Chemical Emergencies and Train derailments. If you are looking for opportunity to grow in a company that you will be respected and have advancement opportunities this is it. GFL is not just garbage trucks.

Pros

Team mentality, Advancement opportunity, Overtime

Great starter job

Hours are long but the job is easy. Lots of extra hours if you like to work. Great benefits and pay. Aswell as lots of fun and great co workers. Management is very fair and helpful.

Pros

Good pay

Avoid

Broken promises. Everyone is 2-faced and will throw you under the bus if and when possible. Unsafe workplace. Workplace Harrassment and violence is encouraged by management. Basically report it and you are sent packing. Avoid at all costs.

Great place to work!

Only have to show up 4 days a week put your headphones in and jam to music while pretty much getting a workout in all day. The job isn’t for people that don’t like to work hard labour. I’ve never had a job where time flys by so fast. Definitely one of my favourite places I’ve ever worked at. The drivers are great guys and management always makes sure I am taking care of.-Hunter Windsor west location

Productive and fun work environment

Great place to work . Secured job with opportunity to grow. There is always management support whenever you need it. Plenty of overtime . Well maintained fleet. Breaks are taken up to driver . There are 3 breaks the driver entitled to : 2 breaks of 15 minutes and 1 break of 30 minutes. Working week is consisted of 4 days . 3 days off.

Pros

Free lunches

Lack of training

Lack of training makes this company very difficult to work for. They throw you into the fire, and expect you to put it out. You offer suggestions, and that shoot it down, because the way they do things is the only way. Pay is abysmal. Management isn’t interested in helping you advance your career. Very unprofessional environment to work in

Falling apart and not organized

Started off okay first 10 months..then it got harder with 160 houses added to route and 300-400 totes on top of that too. They will overwork you and if they break you...you're told to quit if you're not happy.Too much work everyday... forced to do overtime everyday. No mechanics to fix stuff that breaks..You'll drive with bad brakes until the truck needs its yearly safety and then they will do the repairs to make truck safe.Its not the worst place because the people are good you work with. But not for anyone that knows their own value and will not put up with it.

Pros

Coworkers are great

Cons

Long hours, stress, no support when you get too worn out from impossible workload

Fun & fast paced. Rewarding.

- Treated well- Good pay- Hard days occasionally- Work smarter not harder!- Great management- Advancement opportunities- Rewarding overall- Wish it had full benefits

Hard workers get rewarded.

If you work your tail off and have no attitude or self entitlement you will love working here. If you want to sit in a truck and be paid to do nothing, don't apply, they want real honest hard workers only.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Residents

Not organized

Not organized no leadership no parts work outside no proper PpeGuys are just a number revolving door of employees manager likes to micro management watches you work on the cameras multiple cameras

Pros

Nonetheless

Cons

Long hour’s

Poorly Managed

After working there for a stint of a year the conversations had during the interviewing process such as, company advancement, competitive wages, raises, room to grow, etc became laughable.They abuse current employee's. How would you feel starting a job at 17$-19$ per hour knowing the guy training you that's been there for 15+ years is only earning a couple dollars more then you. Zero advancement because it's all in who knows who or the "favorites."The offer looks good on paper, the shift you work, vacation time and benefits. (They fooled me.) However, the shine soon wore off with the overall morale of the workers and day to day employee disgust of the employers/managers.My suggestion is if you want to work there, use the time to really figure out what you'd like to do with your working career.

It’s political because contractors through city

Good work place to be and people The pay is not enough for what expected to do, they put more money into trucks than employees Expect a lot and us to work for free

Pros

Outside

Cons

Pay is to little

Learning experience

Doesn't pay well for a appreciates but does give opportunities to advance positions and education, saftey is definitely something that needs to be addressed more often.

Good

Good way to get your foot in the door and work toward a role higher up the rung it is possible to get into management a few years after joining and management is great

Run away!

No seriously run away! Just a dirty place to work, greasy management and greasy coworkers. No room to grow, if you can find work elsewhere than do it! Gfl "G"ood "F"****** "L"uck). Don't do what you're told there will be repercussions, don't like working 14 hours a day too bad so sad! Work in all weather conditions constantly understaffed, open maps everyday, no appreciation, no respect. Good luck.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement