GFL Environmental Employee Reviews

Do not work here
FE Driver (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 April 2019
Management is the worst. Reporting safety issues does you no good. Was told to just pick up your route or we will find someone else to do your job. Managers do not investigate incidents and tell drivers just to pay for them. HR does nothing to fix any problems you might have. If you have an issue that is making your performance go down, you better fix it yourself or they will find a way to fire you. Oh by the way, if you get fired, DO NOT expect to find another job because whoever answers calls from future employers will slander you. If you have personal issues that impact your driving, just put in your 2 week notice. You will be fired for having anxiety due to family life. They have no compassion for their employees, or do anything to help them. You are making a bad decision to work for this company.

Managers defiantly have favorites, and if your a immigrant...forget it.

Before you work here I suggest researching the Labour Board or Employment Standards.

The equipment breaks down constantly, but that is expected because you driving a heavy duty truck constantly hauling 8 tons to the dump 3 or 4 times a day (10 to 16 hrs a day).

Mechanic staff is the best part of the Winnipeg GFL. They are pretty awesome. They do the best with what they have. When I was there GFL could not pay for the outside work to be done on trucks, and I would go months without my assigned truck. Not mention they keep raising rates on commercial service and would not be surprised if that division was liquidated.
Pros
Mechanics are awesome
Cons
everything else about this company
Finance
Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 April 2019
Very poor management. No respect for employees. N9 career advancement. Don't quit your job over this company. Short vacation. Nothing good about this company.
Great people to work beside, but hard work
Garbage Collector (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON19 March 2019
This is a great place to work as employees all get along. The management is really bad and not understanding at all of personal life. Super hard work, but keeps you super fit. If you like hours you work about 50+ hours a week in 4 days.
Pros
Fun, keeps you fit, lots of money.
Cons
Management, long hours, work in all weather conditions
Another great job that is coming to an end , lack of job security.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary Ab13 March 2019
Wonderful job, people are great, work environment is wonderful. Unfortunately fluctuation in work availability, and poor equipment, make for inconsistent pay.
Cons
Equipment
Current management are idiots and disrespectful!!
Supervisor/AZ/DZ driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 February 2019
Dont work here until management is replaced!!! Is a decent paying job with not so bad benefits but can all add to notta when you have such a disrespectful management team!! From the idiot district manager to the under achievement supervisors makes the job more demanding then what it is!!!
Pros
$ if yu like working long physical hours
Cons
MANAGEMENT!! Back stabbers!!!
No Respect
Applicant (Former Employee) –  mississauga26 January 2019
I have applied for a job, with out a response. I understand that the job is labour intensive and may require some long hours. GFL seems to gain a lot of city contracts, but i question their hiring practices. I have yet to here from human resources. I have gotten a couple of emails for a telephone interview for a said date & time; I wait but no calls.. One can conclude this is how they value their staff..
If they value Not during my time, (waiting around for theme to call and beg them for a job) I question How do they value their employees?. Is it a safety a concern? will I be allowed to control my workload to prevent injury? It is a labour intensive job.

They promise a good pay after a year, I heard that before. I have worked union and non union jobs. and for good and bad employers.
If they cannot return a call or call when promised, > how trusted are their other promises.
untrustworthy employment
Route Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON19 January 2019
GFL can be a great place to work, but sadly the upper management in the company do not care about its employees and simply work of the motto "what have you done for me lately". They have simply fired individuals under the "No Cause" rule due to hiding the fact they brake labour rules regularly but hide it well as they are not looked at by labour authorities. Safety is not enforced as they simply observe and report yet expect the District Managers to stop they same violations they are breaking so it is the purist form of insanity doing nothing and expecting different results. I would tell anyone who goes to be careful and try to get a union in place to ensure you are protected.
Pros
young man company
Cons
lack of true leadership
Trouble place to work
DZ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 January 2019
Trouble place to work. Employes go out for there way to make you uncomfortable name calling bulling
make promises they do not keep or intend to keep
Trucks are junk snow blows in the drivers door when closed cabs are cold no heat on the floor
Talks about 2 new truck lol
Drivers all they do is complain drivers do what they want not doing bin pickups And complain about the management
Unsafe work practices
You ask for equipment to do your job not in the buget from straps to traps
Pros
Cons
Stay away
Large and Growing National Corporation
Corporate (Former Employee) –  BC11 January 2019
Provided fairly vague direction with focus constantly changing so unable to complete projects or tasks. Management, supervisors and workers are not provided with adequate training and support. Low overall moral due to lack of transparency from upper management. The organization has amazing potential for great things and just needs to create a cohesive atmosphere in the field and office.
The facility and field staff are amazing to work with creating a valuable team environment.
Overall as mentioned, great company with amazing potential, focus just needs to be directed on strengthening existing teams in turn creating a well-oiled machine.
If given the opportunity, I would return to their workforce.
Pros
No micro managing
Cons
Long hours, no company vehicle
RUN If I could leave 0 stars I would
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2019
Avoid this place at all costs, it is toxic beyond measure and I wouldn't wish a job there upon my worst enemy. I was verbally, and mentally abused, expected to skip breaks and work late to keep up with their out dated software that is paperwork heavy. They didn't pay for overtime and expected you to work after hours and on weekends.

Left the office in tears most days.

Run in the opposite direction, don't be deceived by their decent pay, you will pay for it with your mental health!!!
Pros
decent pay
Cons
toxic work environment
Hard Work
Curbside Garbage Collector - City of Toronto (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2019
Good workers get taken advantage of in this industry. The days are long and hard, the job is no joke. in this industry you must go to work for yourself and find your own pace.
Stay away
Truck Driver - Class 1 (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB28 December 2018
Poor management, they do not maintain the equipment, they will not fix equipment, they expect drivers to run unsafe equipment down the highway, tarps on trailers are constantly damaged and garbage comes out of the trailers, management has no problem lying to your face, the Leduc office is a joke!
Pros
Cons
Equipment is junk, senority means nothing, low pay, safety is NEVER a concern.
Not a good environment
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 December 2018
The problem with GFL Central is that nobody seems to care that the company is falling apart. Employees get fired when they get too high on the pay scale and are replaced with new lower paid employees or not replaced at all and the extra work is forced onto others with no pay compensation. The boss's in Toronto couldn't care less about the staff as long as the investors are happy and the money keeps coming in....for now. Most employees hate there jobs and management won't do or say anything out of fear of loosing there big salaries.
Pros
Cons
Lack of management
no don't work here
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC9 December 2018
they not safe company and if you do or say anything bad even if you don't they will fire you or if you damage something and not your fault they fire you
Pros
maybe
Cons
yes long hours
Very poor management and unproductive shop
Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 November 2018
Completely disconnected from managment . A typical day, you come in get your assignment via e-mail, once your done your lucky if there is anything else to work, on otherwise grab a broom. Shop lacks direction, guys wondering around most of the time looking for work. Stocked parts are very limited, and if you don't order things you need early enough in the day they are just not coming. Lack of diagnostic tools needed to fix equipment, and service information is unavailable. If your hired on for the shop you will most likely start on evenings and there is very little chance your gonna be able to get another shift anytime soon. Company feels very unsure of it self being they are growing so fast. Bad work environment created by management, and I have never felt so much like a number as when I worked here. Very elitist attitude by anyone in management, defiantly think their you know what don't stink, pretty funny considering they haul liquid waste. I would defiantly not recommend if you like feeling like you have accomplished something in your day.
Pros
leaving, techs friendly
Cons
better portion of the job
Management is a joke!!!
former supervisor (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB26 November 2018
The management are all liars!!! They encourage drivers to falsify paperwork, if a driver misses a bin at a residence and the homeowner calls it in, management will lie to the city of spruce grove and say it wasn't out or it was collected and the resident must have refilled it. The management does not care about safety what so ever. They insist that un roadworthy trucks be pushed out the door to get the job done with no regard for the safety of the drivers or people on the road. They lie to the employees and customers on a daily basis.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2018
Started out as medium company with management that focus on people, but through growth that focus got lost. People were friendly to work with. Position was relocated to Toronto.
Poorly managed company
Driver/loader (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON19 November 2018
Very poor company to work for because you are just a number they will work into the ground. They will lie to you just to keep a truck running.The Management in this compny only cares about getting the runs done and saving lots of money doing it. If you want to destroy you body working 60 plus hours at this job site go nuts.
Pros
Not being here
Horrible place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 November 2018
Good luck at Windsor facility Management and Training Staff Very poor, Rotating door there for employees, don't Waste you're time!! Toxic workforce Poor Management.
Pros
Cons
Overworked Underpaid Managers a Joke!!
temp placement
Swamper - Full time Temp (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON8 November 2018
I worked a 3 month contract and I liked the job especially working outside. I got along well with the crew that I worked with with. Overall a decent job and an OK place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5