GFL Environmental Corporation Employee Reviews

Valuable work experience
HEAVY TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
On a typical day, I started early in the morning and performed my truck pre-trip inspections, completed my DVIR and got repairs and/or maintenance performed as needed. When I was able to leave the yard, I started in the downtown area and worked to complete my route, doing my best to finish everything I could; I was pulling bins, some of them heavy and/or for a long distance to dump in my truck (PHYSICALLY DEMANDING/HAND-BOMBING!).
I would spend anywhere between two minutes and two hours at a place because I went from the smallest of places to the biggest of places to perform service and driving times would vary from five-ten minutes to one hour between locations.
Working for GFL near the downtown Toronto area was my overall best and most beneficial working experience (because a tough job can be a good job);
My advice to another person is work hard, work with a sense of urgency and drive safely because it does pay off
Be courteous, friendly and respectful with all of your co-workers, supervisors, mechanics, other GFL employees and management and you will be respected and accepted
The management treated me fairly, within reason (THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE)
The drivers were a pretty good group to work with and get along with(I see some of them around my neighbourhood sometimes).
Tough working environment not for everyone, only resilient people
Working for GFL is an opportunity to earn decent money, i.e. getting some overtime hours pays off; it is not a job or company to dismiss if you are looking for work as a truck driver and are new in the career field (unless the physical aspect
  more... is not for you).
The hardest part of the job is driving in Toronto, especially the downtown area and/or being caught up in slow moving highway traffic on occasion (I WAS ABLE TO AVOID DRIVING IN THE CORE)
The most enjoyable part of the job is, on occasion,encountering young people who treat waste disposal truck drivers and loaders with respect!
Pros
Decent earnings with overtime
Cons
Hard work
Good company
Automated garbage collection truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
start at 6 am finishing at 12-14pm paid 10h company provide uniform and boots 100% paid benifits hard work till you know you route after goe's nice !!!
Nice co workers! But that's about it....
Spotter/inspector/labourer/ equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 November 2017
The FSJ regional landfill site needs to hire a new management team to run this site. It's my opinion that the site is poorly operated by an inexperienced and sometimes inappropriate management team.
They have little to no training or safery programs active on site plus the hourly wage is honestly very low for with the multiple jobs they want you to preform and in and around strong nauseous fumes, biohazard and
General filth that comes with working on an active face of a landfill site.(poorly managed) $17 or $18 an hour with a few decent benefits in Fort St John is not enough...There are no tips to help out there..lol..
Don't take my review the wrong way though. The people that work there are nice enough and for some people, any job will do..so I would say it's better than nothing...I would also like to add that my review is not directed at The GFL company as a whole or the Regional district of Fort St John but specifically The Fort St John regional Landfill site's on-site managers. I would rather work at timmies for a couple bucks an hour less and a nicer smell....lol.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Poor onsite management team..low pay..no hazard pay..not well structured or well organized on site.
They treat you like trash
Operator (Former Employee) –  Strathcona, AB8 November 2017
Where to start?..... bully's and liars is how I would describe the manager and supervisor at strathmore. They will tell you anything to get you in the door. But you soon see there true colours. Everyone who is working there are unhappy and looking for another job. I would stay clear if you can. No health and safety. The message do it or we will fire you.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, environment, no leadership, no respect, no health and safety.
dont work here!!
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2017
If you want to have a terrible work experience then this is the place for you. worst place ive ever worked. management treats you like the stuff you pick up, garbage!!
Horrible commercial manager
Driver (Former Employee) –  Orangeville19 October 2017
The residential side of the company is hectic due to the revolving door for drivers and the manager is a great supervisor but constantly overstepped by the commercial manager. The commercial manager takes everything personal and has no respect for any driver. He says they are all replaceable . If he dislikes you you can expect to be fired.
Pros
Cons
Terrible commercial manager!
Wors Company i have to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2017
Stay a way from this Company Trucks all ways
braking down. And there no pay when you waiting for the mechanic. There pay you only by the tomorrow not
by the our.
Worlds worst company!!
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Moose Creek, ON19 September 2017
Just read the title that's all I have to say everything is a one star except job security cause nobody else wants to work here.
If you want to live pay to pay and not see your family come work here
Pros
Your allowed a lunch break
Cons
Pretty much everything
Only getting worse.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor7 August 2017
Unrealistic expectations for employees. Good employees get absolutely no recognition for their hard work. And management is VERY vindictive. Your treated like a number not a person. Not to mention they hand pick promotions. No interviews whatsoever. Cronyism is only getting worse. Pay may seem high for drivers that also throw, but it is very low for the amount of work they expect. No Christmas parties whatsoever, and very few company events. Don't waste your time applying, wouldn't wish job on my worst enemy.
Extremely high turnover rate and injury rate for this company. And with good reason, management cares more about quota's than employees.
Pros
you get a paycheque, be it low
Cons
Pay extremely low, for what they expect
Management is terrible
Front End Driver (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON17 July 2017
I am a current employee. Let me start off by saying I like it here at GFL. The people I work with are a great group! That being said the managment is terrible. I'm a front end driver and the routes are so horrible that I sometimes drive 45mins for 1 garbage bin. I have no idea how they keep running the company this way. If they would fix the routing so it actually made money maybe we could get a raise! The equipment is junk. My truck broke down, so they sent me a loaner from Toronto, and when I tried rolling down the window it fell out. So they sent another truck, and the defrost doesn't work....Do you see where I'm going here? If you like to be in the yard drinking coffee waiting for trucks to be fixed this is your place. But don't get your hopes up that you'll be doing nothing all day, once its fixed you have to complete your route! Noon, 3pm who cares! Get going!
Pros
Great group of people, steady pay check
Cons
Horrible equipment, disorganized
GARBAGE!! Worst company i have ever worked for
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek/hamilton ON8 July 2017
Long hours, terrible wages, work all holidays. Expected to go out and help others who slack off and milk their routes. Management is a joke. They will smIle to face and stab you in the back. Stay far away from this toxic, terrible company. Worst job I've ever experienced
Pros
Slave driver R us
Cons
Lots. Could write a small novel
Poor management
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
Currently work here as a driver and I will sum up what would be a lengthy list of defaults. Management for starters! This company keeps buying there business and with that comes grandfather'd positions and inherited bad habits throughout. People in authority positions who have no background in the field they manage. This lack of knowledge has a trickle down effect that creates confusion and anger which could be prevented. Safety is a big concern! Our company which already had a fair share of safety issues was bought out in January. As employees we figured change was imminent however that was misjudged. It took 5 months to get what they would call "up to speed" which is an ongoing joke! Safety is a #1 until work piles up due to disorganized dispatch and money hungry management then safety is placed on the back burner. Bottom line is this company needs a lot of work before considering any position here.
Worst job I ever had
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
Rude people, too much work required of one person, very stressful.

The pay was ok, but not worth what was asked of you. Many of the management team behaved in an unprofessional manner on a regular basis. If you can find work elsewhere I would do so if I were you. Wasn't being paid for overtime. Bullying is the culture.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
everything else
Mickey Mouse
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 May 2017
Revolving door of management and workers. "Because I said so" attitude because management knows better even though none of them can last over a year in their position. Out of compliance all over the place. Good place to work if you're a yes man too stupid to realize how badly they're managing the place and breaking the rules. They also want you married to the job so it's great if you live to work with no sense of accomplishment.
Pros
I don't work there anymore :)
Cons
Cancerous environment
Stay away
Shop Hand (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 May 2017
Just stay away. You will not be appreciated here. Need to be someone's favourite to survive. No respect from management otherwise. It won't be worth your sanity.
stay away
driver loader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 May 2017
terrible job. Stay away!!! You will be required to work and help others on their routes until all garbage is collected. You will work like a pig, go home and eat and go to bed. This job is a body and mind killer. STAY AWAW!!!! Trust this
Management is very poor and disrespectful
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
I was let go for no reason, With no notice. They promised to give me a raise for over a year and I never saw it. The two edmonton transfer station shops are very much like high school. I would stay away from them.
Pros
Cons
Long hours no time for family
Worst place I ever worked for
Office (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2017
Very stressful environment and very poor training for the work that is required of you. I felt bullied by a co-worker which made work hard to come to.
Pros
Nice drivers
Cons
Favoritism
Very poor environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 April 2017
Stay away from this company. Very unethical with all aspects to business.very toxic environment to work in. Management has no clue on what is going on within the daily aspects of the business
No nice atmosphere
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 April 2017
Don't care for drivers and takes a long time to get repairs done trucks .Lost jobs with no notice union is investigating the issue. We ask for a transfer they said no also ask to learn heavy equipment also no
Pros
There is none
Cons
Management sucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GFL Environmental Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1