Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
Great Company
GERDAU is a great company to work for. Eventually, we have a lot of work, which helps a lot in professional growth, decision making and evolution as a person.
Bullying culture
Bullying culture, constant threats and not much instruction, while some workers were helpful most let you sink or swim with constant bullying ........
Pros
Shift work gave some time off which was help
Cons
Bullying culture
Not a friendly place
It took me a long while to get in a nice relationships. People build huge walls between the salaried people and the trades. Everyone is colder than any winter there.
Worse work environment
Cons: Roll off trucks are 18 yr old pieces of junk(luggers are not bad, but rough). You do not want to get caught driving this junk.
Yard is usually under several inches of water or is a total mud hole. Icy, slippery, dark. Not a good place.

Manager will ignore any issues you have, just won't respond to you. HR is no better. I brought Health issue forward and I never heard back. Don't work here!
Productive and Positive Work Environment
A great place to have worked. Excellent management and a hard working Labour force.

Great supervisor who encouraged news ideas and treated me with great respect.
Great company to work for
Great company to work for. very good benefits. Good challenging work environment with lots of room to move up. would recommend to any one that has a good work ethic.
Favoritism at its finest
Blame games and name calling is the culture around here. Negativity surrounds this place and its not worth spending your valuable time in this plant. an experience here will add no value to your resume. If you are an intellectual then you are better off going to a company that will cherish your intelligence and logical mindset. Age old practices overshadow facts and data. Asskissing is a likable trait and if you are bad at it then your career wont go anyway. Incompetent managers often get away with dumb decision making and if you dont become a yes man then they will let you go. You dont even need an engineering degree to run this place. If you wanna do bare minimum and yell around at people while having no idea what to do then this is the place for you. If you ask your manager a question and he doesn't know the answer to that or thinks that you asking him a question is defying his authority then he will try to humiliate you by saying things such as "You dont know how to even do this?" or " Where did you work before as this is so simple. how can you even ask me this simple qs?" and never actually answer the question. The cliche, No qs is a bad qs and ask in the face of a doubt before you act, doesn't apply here. just act or figure it out yourself and never ask a question is the mindset at this plant.

Managers will say that they are making way too much money anyway so there is no need for any process optimization or data driven decision making. If you want to talk about hunting and fishing and anything else other than how to improve the work place then you will be adored and
 - more...
Pros
Good Pay but all front-line operations pay well in the steel industry.
Cons
Refer to the main text.
Best job I’ve ever had.
I started there recently after being a contractor on site over the years. As a Gerdau employee, it is above and beyond what I expected. I have never been happier to be part of a maintenance team with such a great company. Getting hired there is one of the best things that has ever happened to me in my career as a millwright.
Pros
The list goes on
Cons
The conditions of a steel mill may not appeal to everyone.
Serious workplace
- security routine;
- learned about managing projects;

- quality tools;

- lean manufacturing;

- team building;

- overview of the business;

- a place to develop and grow.
Solid place to work
Great for young people just starting out who need a steady wage and dont mind shift work. Will acquire many skills and its a great way to get into an industrial setting.
Alright Job
Alright job. Pay is good,managment sucks. Benefits are good, however they really give you the run around. Lots of room to grow and change positions. Work weekends is mandatory.
Repetitive work, No advancement
I worked at their Whitby plant over 3 years in their procurement. Good pay and benefits. No work and life balance though. Job security does not exist;
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No advancement
The Employees are the best asset
Enjoyed working with most of the employees - very much a boys club - no room for advancement - Human Resources is trying to improve work / life balance and health.
Pros
lunch and learns
Cons
no room for advancement
One of the most responsible for my development
Started as a Logistics Coordinator. I had a lots of challenges by developing a team, stabilizing processes and building a healthy routine towards results. After 3 years of hard work, lots of improvements in the department and incredible results, I was promoted to Regional Manager where I was responsible for the Logistics teams of 4 manufacturing plants. The company has great culture and a system in which all employees are encouraged to learn and grow. No matter what is your position or status everybody is treated equally with respect.
Pros
Development of career
Cons
Operations 24/7
Had Interview cancelled twice!
I had two interviews for the scale operator position in Guelph,Ontario cancelled in successive weeks and confirmed availability for a third time with no response! I'm beginning to think I may have avoided a bad decision to accept a position here!
Great company to work for
This is a very well ran company. Lots of perks working here, good benefits and profit sharing. This position taught me a lot about the administrative field, especially managing multi line phone system.
Uncomfortable Environment
Based in 2008. Old school boys club. Union and staff had a lot of conflicts. Some very questionable employees. But I think it has changed since then. I hope so.
Pros
Great pay and pension
Cons
Noticed a lot of bullying
high pace will keep u moving, great pay and benefits
have a set run each day. Generally use your own truck. Pretrip then service chip bins from a set list of plants in a high pace environment. Generally not in your truck more than 10 mins. fair management. for the most part people get along but there are times drivers feel other drivers dont do their part. The most challenging part of the job is getting done quickly without making mistakes. you will make a mistake somewhere. Everybody does. Very good pay and benefits
Pros
keeps u moving. great pay and benefits.
Cons
some co-workers talk behind each others backs
Not good.
Lots of mistakes in the payroll department. Mismanaged middle management. Multiple of injuries hidden and people are coached to come to work when hurt.
Cons
Health Hazards
Excellent place of employment
Gerdau was a very fun place to work with management and hourly,ive gained an exstensive amount of knowledge over the 31 years I worked there,,
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Productive and fun place to work at
Good training procedures that allowed me to gain the knowledge of the company along with the different metals that would help me become a good sorter of non-ferrous materials.