Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

They have great set up to train thier employees and make sure everyone is up to par on the position you work in. However the work balance can be tiring if you have a family.
Pros
Never a dull moment always busy
Cons
Long hours if you are salary
Takes too long to get hired on due to screening process,physical,etc,All kinds of promises made to keep you,due to the revolving door of employees.Guys spying and taking pictures to give the manager,blames you for everything.Constantly switch trucks because they are always breaking down.Drivers not writing stuff up then you get blamed for it.Things go missing ,find your boots,hard hat in garbage,etc,paperwork disappears ,you get blamed for not handling it in.Toxic work environment,the happy friendly people who approach you in the beginning are the ones you need to avoid,they just run back to the manager to screw you over. They subtract half hour for lunch weather you have time for one or not.Never time for coffee breaks.No HR on site making it difficult to address issues.Left due to unfair treatment, empty promises ,certain jobs given unfairly to others ,not getting raise when promised.Bullying is an issue from top to bottom.
Pros
Year round work.Good benefits. RRSP match.Learn different types of trucks.
Cons
Straight time .Unpaid lunch and no meal allowance, free lunches or bonuses .Always bugging you to go faster. Bullying and toxic work environment.
Great working environment IF you are mechanically inclined. Strong union that has a good relationship with the company. Most of the supervisors are good...there isn't any micro-managing or supervisors breathing down your neck. Upper management, like most manufacturing plants, don't know what they're talking about. Its continental shifts, which isn't for everyone. HR is a joke, so I recommend staying on top of them during the hiring process. One phone interview, one in-person interview, one plant tour and aptitude test. After that, you have a background check, physical test, blood work for mercury, and then 2 weeks orientation and 3 months probation.
Pros
Great pay and benefits. Lots of room for movement currently so you can try different jobs and areas.
Cons
HR is very difficult to work with. Steel mill/continetal shifts aren't for everyone.
I loved working at Gerdau. They respected, appreciated my work ethics, efforts, and hard work. There was always something new to learn and training was great as well
Office staff is very nice and first 2 weeks of orientation and modules you think its guna be great and even after a few dog jobs. But you have a job to learn in a place that has many rules and alot of people are lazy or you get someone not willing to train. Therefore you could work 5 and 3/4 months and they will lay you off saying you didn't learn enough right before probation ends. I had to write this because it happened to all 3 of us people starting on same date and also bee told they do it all the time. Such a shady place.
Pros
Money, benefits
Cons
Minimal training, New people means less overtime for permanent workers if you make it past probation
GERDAU is a great company to work for. Eventually, we have a lot of work, which helps a lot in professional growth, decision making and evolution as a person.
Bullying culture, constant threats and not much instruction, while some workers were helpful most let you sink or swim with constant bullying ........
Pros
Shift work gave some time off which was help
Cons
Bullying culture
It took me a long while to get in a nice relationships. People build huge walls between the salaried people and the trades. Everyone is colder than any winter there.
Cons: Roll off trucks are 18 yr old pieces of junk(luggers are not bad, but rough). You do not want to get caught driving this junk. Yard is usually under several inches of water or is a total mud hole. Icy, slippery, dark. Not a good place. Manager will ignore any issues you have, just won't respond to you. HR is no better. I brought Health issue forward and I never heard back. Don't work here!
A great place to have worked. Excellent management and a hard working Labour force. Great supervisor who encouraged news ideas and treated me with great respect.
Great company to work for. very good benefits. Good challenging work environment with lots of room to move up. would recommend to any one that has a good work ethic.
Blame games and name calling is the culture around here. Negativity surrounds this place and its not worth spending your valuable time in this plant. an experience here will add no value to your resume. If you are an intellectual then you are better off going to a company that will cherish your intelligence and logical mindset. Age old practices overshadow facts and data. Asskissing is a likable trait and if you are bad at it then your career wont go anyway. Incompetent managers often get away with dumb decision making and if you dont become a yes man then they will let you go. You dont even need an engineering degree to run this place. If you wanna do bare minimum and yell around at people while having no idea what to do then this is the place for you. If you ask your manager a question and he doesn't know the answer to that or thinks that you asking him a question is defying his authority then he will try to humiliate you by saying things such as "You dont know how to even do this?" or " Where did you work before as this is so simple. how can you even ask me this simple qs?" and never actually answer the question. The cliche, No qs is a bad qs and ask in the face of a doubt before you act, doesn't apply here. just act or figure it out yourself and never ask a question is the mindset at this plant. Managers will say that they are making way too much money anyway so there is no need for any process optimization or data driven decision making. If you want to talk about hunting and fishing and anything else other than how to improve the work place then you will be adored and - more...
Pros
Good Pay but all front-line operations pay well in the steel industry.
Cons
Refer to the main text.
I started there recently after being a contractor on site over the years. As a Gerdau employee, it is above and beyond what I expected. I have never been happier to be part of a maintenance team with such a great company. Getting hired there is one of the best things that has ever happened to me in my career as a millwright.
Pros
The list goes on
Cons
The conditions of a steel mill may not appeal to everyone.
- security routine; - learned about managing projects; - quality tools; - lean manufacturing; - team building; - overview of the business; - a place to develop and grow.
Great for young people just starting out who need a steady wage and dont mind shift work. Will acquire many skills and its a great way to get into an industrial setting.
Alright job. Pay is good,managment sucks. Benefits are good, however they really give you the run around. Lots of room to grow and change positions. Work weekends is mandatory.
I worked at their Whitby plant over 3 years in their procurement. Good pay and benefits. No work and life balance though. Job security does not exist;
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
No advancement
Enjoyed working with most of the employees - very much a boys club - no room for advancement - Human Resources is trying to improve work / life balance and health.
Pros
lunch and learns
Cons
no room for advancement
Started as a Logistics Coordinator. I had a lots of challenges by developing a team, stabilizing processes and building a healthy routine towards results. After 3 years of hard work, lots of improvements in the department and incredible results, I was promoted to Regional Manager where I was responsible for the Logistics teams of 4 manufacturing plants. The company has great culture and a system in which all employees are encouraged to learn and grow. No matter what is your position or status everybody is treated equally with respect.
Pros
Development of career
Cons
Operations 24/7
I had two interviews for the scale operator position in Guelph,Ontario cancelled in successive weeks and confirmed availability for a third time with no response! I'm beginning to think I may have avoided a bad decision to accept a position here!
This is a very well ran company. Lots of perks working here, good benefits and profit sharing. This position taught me a lot about the administrative field, especially managing multi line phone system.
  1. Employee reviews