George Brown College

George Brown College Employee Reviews

I like the staff and the store has a good atmosphere. The payee was okay and the schedule was flexible. So I cannot complain about the work experience.
GBC needs to demonstrate more cultural openness so the administration depicts the diverse ethnic culture that (student) and contract workers. GBC presently does not represent the diaspora at this time. There's also a lack of transparency and bias when it comes to hiring for permanent positions.
Pros
the rate of pay/hour for contract and part-time emoloyees
Cons
no benefits and having to wait to see if the chair for each program gives you another contract
I worked there as a student it was a great experience. WORKING with students and teachers it was such a work experience working with the college stuff and the support and inspiration given.
Pros
Was very interesting
Cons
Need more time
Never enough, yet no feedback or support.Harassment is the most common culture through every chain of management.Accommodations are not provided, if disclosed they are detrimental to your position and frowned upon. Not looked at as an individual but a number.
Pros
Learned how not to be a leader
Cons
Bullying culture
Way too much politics. Management was vindictive and demanding, they want automatons to follow orders and not think. Too much, do as I say not as I do, mentality. Make one mistake and they hunt you and watch for any reason to cut you down.The front line workers are great and really try to do the best for the students. Management is terrible and monitors staff with a Big Brother complex. Don't try to do what's right, Do as you are told!
Pros
Good union, and it is needed.
Cons
Its stressful having someone watching you looking for reasons to scold you.
My experience at George Brown College has provided me with the opportunity to learn and cement my experience in course design and development of learning materials. The interaction with culturally diverse students, while simultaneously honing the "people skills" that are crucial to succeed as a team player on diverse staff is beyond satisfaction.
Cons
uncertainty of job security due to contract renewal
Daily collaboration with management and supervisors to meet required tasks.Great on the job Training; teaching the skills necessary for completion of required workload.Wonderful staff and managers, willing to promote a positive environment for all the students, professors, part-time staff/student employees to learn and collaborate together in reaching their study/work experience goals.The job requires dedication and commitment to show effort and growth every day in learning. Must be motivated to put in real effort and not shy away from teamwork or collaboration with faculty and supervisors.The staff provide many fun activities and faculty/school events that keep everyone engaged and happy at work. Those include faculty lunches, after day events, student engagement or various opportunities and connections through the college.
Pros
Faculty Lunches, Training Seminars, Student Engagement, On-site work training, Positive Environment and Staff
Cons
Busy Workloads, After-Hours Dedication to College Culture
It's a place with a great environment and you are able to support your colleagues and receive help and advice from them as well. It's a place that cares about wellness, mental health and consider the feedback from students and staff about your work.
Loved getting to work early, in order to soak in the diversity, rich culture, and positive vibe on campus. Management was unbelievably supportive, could not do enough for me. Out-of-the-box thinkers, so rare! They always put the well-being, short-term and long-term, of the GBC athletes first. Management listens to their coaches, and respects their opinions and ideas. Comfortable, enjoyable, productive workplace. Team-oriented. Hardest part was rounding up the athletes on the team I coached, as they were at different campuses, courses were at different times, and we didn't have a true "home field," nor dressing room. Most enjoyable part of the job was coaching practices and getting to know the academic and personal side of the athletes. Wonderful young men, very proud to represent GBC.
Pros
Diversity. Open chain of communication. Budget to cover needs & some wants.
Cons
Didn't have a singular home park. Need fans at games. Nearby Christie Pits will do the trick.
I've been working at George Brown for three years now and I quite enjoy working nights. The students are great and the staff is helpful and collegial.
Pros
Fairly autonomous
Cons
Pay is below industry standard
They're a great employer for students (shocking, I know) with flexible scheduling. However, depending on what department you work in their might not be a career path after graduation.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Limited hours
I have grown as a professional thanks to the patience, taught and professionalism of my team; without that my experience would not have been the same.
Working at george brown is like having every day new challenge. As security guard we have lots of responsibilty and some times there are challenges that we learned to faced.
Pros
Great pride
Cons
sometimes dangerous
Overall good staff and ability to acquire new skills. Management and staff have a task oriented environment and diverse culture that allows employees to learn on the fly and grow.
very easy job and slow paced work place. staff are very friendly and willing to help. students are awesome and will to collaborate as well. had a good time working there
Working at George Brown was a wonderful Experience as a Sr. Project manager I was given a lot of freedom to do my work. I was treated as a knowledgable member of the Project Team and invited to attend and present at the Project steering committee . I worked closely with senior management on the project and reported to the CFO. it was a very friendly environment.
A good place to work, room to learn and advance throughout the college. Excellent benefits and the pay is good. Staff is friendly but very competitive.
I studied typography at George Brown through an apprenticeship program. The course included history of printing processes, camera operation, film production, and typographic principles.
George Brown College provides various opportunities to grow while working there, the interview is a bit hard but if you are honest and exactly know what are you doing than you are good to go.
In my current volunteer position as International Ambassador at George Brown, I have learned a lot with the team, Ambassadors, and George Brown College staff.
I enjoy interacting with all the students of different ages and backgrounds. Counselling, informing, directing, coaching, facilitating were some of the skills I used daily which was rewarding for me. It was always a pleasure to see the result of my intervention after my intervention with each student/person I delivered services.
Pros
Constant training and upgrading intra and interpesonal skills
Cons
not enough hours, and not enough support from supervisors