GENTEK

GENTEK Employee Reviews

Canada57 reviews
Enjoyed working at Gentek, was laid off with no notice and told shortage of work but they kept people on that were hired after me, and even took back the contributions they made to my rrsp.
Pros
Good team, hours of work
Cons
Disorganized a little
Long hours and well paid, but a very unhealthy work environment for the way people are to one another in the work place.
Other then that, good place to work.
Lots of bullies and easy to get fired from.can be dangerous cause you are dealing with glass .the lift truck drivers have no regard for the safety of others.
got this job to see how factories work after studying engineering and manufacturing - the list of things wrong with this place are endless - worked here for years too because i wanted to see if things would change as i advanced - lol big laugh.. if you need a job with benefits and you can handle the absolutely and offensive start and end times, the union dues, hr trying to take away legit sick days, bully legacy staff, bully legacy union members, lack of recognition for time served, getting laid off intentionally before holidays to avoid paying out holiday pay, and union strikes this is the job for you also - see indentured servitude..
Terrible place to work mount pearl Newfoundland branch.very unsafe place to work very hard work for little pay management is from Halifax he is not a nice man no respect for hard honest work
was alright, boss was unreliable, pay was fine, co-workers a bit rude but woman in a mans world cant expect much, besides that was treated well and made a couple good buddies
My interview was kind of a joke I was brought to a room with a window I was observing the workers doing their job for maybe 30 seconds the lady asked is this something you think that you would want to do? who knows if you would want to do it until you actually try it. I said yes I was hired on the spot and started within a month.If you don't mind working three different shifts slave-driving for the full eight hours of your shift and being treated like garbage by your fellow workers then this is the job for you if you feel that that's too much I advise people to run and never work there there's better out there for most
If you enjoy being micro managed on every little detail then this is the place for you. There is no incentive to improve so be prepared to be stuck in the same endless loop of customer service drudgery and repression until you can't take it anymore and quit. This goes equally for the warehouse area I heard. You could do 1000 things above expectations and there is no reward or thank you but you make one small mistake they are all over you like you are the worst employee in the world. I have never dreaded going to work as much as I did at this place.
Pros
Pay and benefits were decent
Working in one station
Learned to work at a consistent pace

I found being consistent allowed myself to produce more than if I was rushing.

Management could be difficult to deal with at times. I found some were lacking in sufficient knowledge of the product.
Stressful rude costumers ..all around work.. From loading to unloading to picking up to serving costumers. Management is fair ..summertime is brutal but winter time is heaven.
Worked at this company for 27 years the last five years was a nightmare. The plant manager and production managers made decisions on was was best for them and not the company. They forced out the superior that should have been the production manager and made a complete control freak, the manager of production. I wish they would bring back issues to run this place only person that listened to his employer
Pros
Was an excellent place to work
Cons
Not a great place to work
I have worked with this company in the past. Horrible place to work the managment is even worse. People are being bullied by senior employee.and i can go on and on. Stay away .
Pros
Cons
Bbb
very nice company , good and amazing team, but the hardest part of the job for me was the night shift.
very good benefits for all my family,

good salary
Branch manager was an absolute nightmare. She was rude and beligerant and did her best to put people down any time she could. Very unprofessional. Staff dropped like flies during my time there.

I was thrown onto a very busy order desk with virtually no training, and got snarked at and made to feel inferior just for asking for help. I went on vacation, came back, and was fired. The only reason I was given was that I was not a good fit. Good riddance I say!

If Areni is still the branch manager, you do NOT want to work here. She is a vile person running that place into the ground.
Pros
very few
Cons
many
Every worker has their own way of doing things. Products are not where the recieving system directs you to. You will have people riding you to pick customer orders, even when you can't find the item since the system is inaccurate.

They will want you to work 6:30 to 4:30 in the summer, so have fun with no work/life balance. They pay in 15 minute increments, so every time you inevitably stay working 5-10 minutes later, you will not be paid for your time.

Multiple employees mentioned there haven't been raises in a few years, even for inflation. The London branch supposedly (according to the manager) had customers lined up around the block during the summer of 2018. Be prepared to be the busiest branch in Canada, yet recieve no raise for your hard work.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this dead end job.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Long hours, poor organization, high pressure when it shouldn't be
Ambiance de shop
Client respectueux

Patron clair

Job 10/10
I worked at the front desk of Gentek. An employee who had the same position as me had way too much control of the office. Her voice and word were louder than the manager. This caused her personal feelings towards me to lead to my termination. I confirmed with the manager that I had not made any mistakes in my work. It was just "not a good fit". This woman caused a hostile work environment for me and my surrounding coworkers who witnessed her harrassment. She was supposed to be training me for the position but because she "didn't like me" she would ignore me and I had to seek my own training in whatever way I could. She has had issues with employees in the past and yet she stays employed and they just flip through filling the position I had.

To summarize, very unprofessional management and a hostile work environment.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment
It's a revolving door, not enough staff for the work loads given. No training just kinda guess where the product goes no help putting stock away very Heavy lifting all day get called off breaks to help customers.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
A lot of HEAVY lifting
I would not recomend any body too work here cause this place is not good cause they dont care about you they just care about numbers an not about you
Pros
No pros
Cons
Working there is a con
Apart of a line building vinyl windows. Good work environment, although company policy on breaks was not good. Young managers who seem to be in over their heads.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
An amazing workplace, learnt the basics of shipping and receiving while getting customers orders. Gaining the knowledge of where things were and how the warehouse works.