Gengo Employee Review

Highly flexible, but only viable for full-time at Pro level or above
Freelance Translation, Japanese - English (Current Employee) –  Freelance Online27 July 2018
I worked as a Pro level Japanese/English translator on my home computer. I was 100% freelance, so I could take as much time off to ensure work/life balance as I wished. However, this is only viable as a full-time job if you are in the Pro level or higher, as well as incredibly self-motivated and organized. Otherwise, it would be a great way to supplement income for anyone who has high levels of proficiency in another language and some experience translating.
Pros
Work when you want, don't when you don't.
Cons
Very low pay for Standard level jobs

Other Gengo Employee Reviews

reviewer sucks!
Freelance translator (Former Employee) –  remote8 May 2019
the pay is fine for pro level translators(0.09 dollar per word)
good community support

But!

The Quality Assurance Team is really terrible! Job reviews are inconsistent and bewildering. Worst off, they do not give you equal say in this process. You have to admit whatever absurd reviews you get. This really sucks.

You also have to compete for few jobs. This is crazy.

Very tight deadlines.
Freetime Translator
Freelance Translator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA4 April 2019
We are given a lot of autonomy when writing our translations. They do maintain quality by reviewing our translations and giving feedback. Overall, a good experience doing freelance work for them.
Pros
Frequent constructive feedback
Cons
Pays little

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gengo. Our community is ready to answer.