Gengo Employee Review

This job is disappointing
Translator (Current Employee) –  Turkey29 November 2018
I have been working as a translator for a few years now and decided to try gengo. There are several things about the website that I have an issue with.
First of all it is almost impossible to get any work, to get a job you need to install a feeder and probably pay for one monthly, even then if you get any feeds for gengo jobs you WILL MISS IT if you open it 30 second or more after it comes in... It is ridiculous how quickly jobs get taken.
Second of all, their score system does not make any sense. Even if you scored a 10 on one of your jobs but a 5 on the other, you will probably end up with an overall 3 or something. They like "consistency" how about having a consistency with the kind of people you hire to give out scores, because some really don't seem to understand the language it's being translated from, therefore giving suggestions and corrections that don't make sense. Plus getting a score of 10 on a job and not having the overall score go up is just a slap in the face to the translator.
I would say dont bother applying... Kind of a waste of time..

Other Gengo Employee Reviews

reviewer sucks!
Freelance translator (Former Employee) –  remote8 May 2019
the pay is fine for pro level translators(0.09 dollar per word)
good community support

But!

The Quality Assurance Team is really terrible! Job reviews are inconsistent and bewildering. Worst off, they do not give you equal say in this process. You have to admit whatever absurd reviews you get. This really sucks.

You also have to compete for few jobs. This is crazy.

Very tight deadlines.
Freetime Translator
Freelance Translator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA4 April 2019
We are given a lot of autonomy when writing our translations. They do maintain quality by reviewing our translations and giving feedback. Overall, a good experience doing freelance work for them.
Pros
Frequent constructive feedback
Cons
Pays little

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gengo. Our community is ready to answer.