GENEVA CENTRE FOR AUTISM

GENEVA CENTRE FOR AUTISM Employee Reviews

Respite

Respite is desperate for staff, as they do not pay well, thus lose qualified people easily. Turn over is high because of this. The management promote their personal friends. Walked by their office and heard them making fun of staff multiple times.

A great team atmosphere!

I loved working in Respite! The atmosphere is very client focused and people try to go above and beyond for the kids! The team was very young but the work that is being done is so important. I worked part-time and would have loved to continue but I needed a full time job and they don't have too many openings for full-time positions. But I highly recommend this job for people wanting an entry level, but valuable, experience.

Pros

Great team, welcoming environment, challenging!

Cons

Deserves a higher wage

Excellent experience

I am glad to have my placement at GCA day support program for adults. They provide programs based on ABA. The therapists there are friendly and professional. Therefore, as a student, I learned how to do assessments, support/interact with the clients, implement programs, and graphing data.

Toxic work environment

Although the clients and families are great, it made it difficult to continue to work in an environment that is ridden with toxicity. The supervisor KN struggled to adequately support her staff and overall team. Supervision meetings were spent discussing her life instead of the worker's current situation in the work space. Cliques need to stop. All the team leads are friends which makes it hard to know who to trust or for anything to get done.

Great work environment

Amazing staff, very professional and lots of fun to work with. I have learned many skills that I was missing and at the same time I had the opportunity to meet and come to know a lot of clients.

One of the WORST job expereinces

The staff who work one on one with clients overall are GREAT! It is really unfortunate that the company itself does not appreciate the staff and do not pay them according to the amount of work that you put in. The MAIN supervisor and Human Resource department are horrible people! They do not properly support you. They will easily fire you and not provide proper reasoning. Also, they like to use their students rather than hire people. It is horrible that the name Geneva for Autism is a well known place but you will never know how they treat their staff until you become one.

Pros

The team (workers you work with on an every single day basis) are great

Cons

Long hours with horrible pay, The main supervisor is horrible, and the human resource department is extremely horrible. They mistreat their staff and use students

found workplace ableist and homophobic

Though there is a large focus on accessablity for the clients, there is very little focus on providing the same environment for staff. I was continually asked to do things outside the scope of my physical capabilities resulting in several injuries in only two months. The environment was also homophobic.

Fun

Loved working with all of the other employees and especially all the clients. Had a great time playing and teaching the clients as best as I could with the help of my co-workers.

Great place to learn a lot about the ASD field.

You can learn a lot about the ASD field in this company. You get to work with a variety of clients and really learn about the spectrum as a whole. The upper management is weak and very unorganized.

Good staff and great opportunity, but disorganized

I had a amazing experience working with children and youth with autism at the Geneva Centre. However, I was constantly moved into different groups within the centre, which was a disadvantage to the children and youth that need consistency, and did not allow me to continue building positive rapports with staff and campers as I was never in one group for more than a week. The summer camp they run was enjoyable for the most part, but activities and outings were often disorganized and constantly changing from what was on the schedule/what we informed parents was happening the following day. While it was not my best experience, I will say that the staff they employ are excellent and extremely supportive. You really feel like a team there.

Pros

Excellent co-workers, amazing kids

Cons

constantly being moved to different areas of the centre, disorganized acitvites and outings

Great spot to work with a caring staff and have fun with your clients.

You're only required a minimum of 2 days a week, in which you'd spend the time working along side an amazingly supportive staff and interacting with clients through productive activities. Perfect spot to gain volunteer hours while having fun.

Pros

On your feet job, interactions with the clients lead to close bonds and great friendships with staff.

Cons

Sometimes your patience is tested but your team helps your overcome it.

Fun workplace and Learning Environment

I learned a lot about how to implement ABA techniques with children with diverse needs. The workplace culture is friendly and welcoming. Working with different children allowed me to implement variations of programs.

Pros

Implementing in chair

Cons

Not having enough practice

Great place that cares about its clients

Very passionate staff providing the best care for there clients. the staff always go above and beyond. They have helped many and provide many services

Great team work

Geneva Centre is a great workplace for people who are willing to work with individuals with Autism Spectrum. A great place to work as a team and gain experience.

Challenging, but beneficial, environment

Each day, a schedule is created to place staff with clients. Work day is 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., with clients from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Administrative work is done when the clients have completed their day in the program. Over the last 10 years, I have learned a lot of patience, problem-solving strategies, and how to maintain a professional relationship with clients, their families, and other staff at the centre. Management can be a different experience depending on the team you are placed on, however, most managers are open to discussions, feedback and improvement strategies. Many managers will work with schedules to encourage and assist in professional development. Feedback after interviews is always available, but you have to ask for it. Workplace culture is fun - many young professionals with fresh eyes and energy. Most staff can find the fun in the day, and laugh along with clients and other people. Because it is an entry-level job, however, this is often a first job out of college/university. Staff are learning a new set of skills, but also how to be professional and think of the best and big-picture interests of the client - the latter can be a tough skill to teach. Hardest part of the job is the steep and long learning curve. It takes a while to understand and execute the job, however, persistence and creativity make the job a lot easier and fun. Most enjoyable part of the job are the kids and their families. Every day, I genuinely laugh and celebrate the small (or large!) successes of development in the children. There's no better feeling than seeing a -

Pros

regular hours, benefits, every day successes, training opportunities

Cons

difficult to move up in the company if you do not have a masters

Its a great company, that has great values and morals for the clients served. Especially in Group Services respite department. The staff make it a comfortable setting. Although at times the setting can be stressful the team dynamic makes it an ideal setting to work in.

Pros

Fun work environment

Cons

not a lot of full time positions available in all departments

Great company to work with

It was mentally and physically draining but very rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the clients would meet their goals. I learned how to deal with high pressure situations working at Geneva Centre.

Probably one of the worst years of my life

Where do I begin? I had a horrible experience working here. I worked evening respite with youth, it was usually weekdays from 4-8, give or take. The management is horrible, very poorly run. The "supervisors" are all young people with no experience in the field themselves but have just managed to schmooze their way up. The way the supervisors treat the staff is totally unacceptable. God forbid you ever get sick! That's how my time ended there, I had really bad food poisoning and called in sick but was told I must come in anyways. I had never called in sick before and was always early for work. Upon arriving at work, I wasn't much help as I was throwing up frequently to which I was scolded for. The treatment of the staff is ridiculous, but don't get me started on placement students! They completely take advantage of students in the work place that are working FOR FREE. It's sad really... These students put in a lot of their time and effort but are still treated horribly by the supervisors and even other staff. The pay is terrible, may as well work at McDonald's, they pay about the same with better hours and fair treatment.

Pros

Close to the subway, good experience with ASD.

Cons

Poorly paid, unorganized, unfair treatment, hostile work environment, etc

Loved Working Here

The research intern job was unpaid with an honorarium which is why the review for salary and benefits was low, however, working here was very rewarding. The culture was inclusive and curious, and the job allowed me to solve problems creatively and feel like my work mattered.

Pros

Great atmosphere

Cons

disorganized/low wages (non-profit)

Student placement

Observed and implemented IBI programs on children with Autism Recorded data and measured Inter-observer Data with other Instructor therapist Graphed data on daily basis, implemented a school project on a child and was succesfull. Prepared materials for program: searching pictures, laminating and making PECS material. Attended clinical Meetings every week and participated in resolving matters within the team.

Work and life balance denied

Environment was very stressful. The people were awesome to work with. The pay was not good for the amount of work to be done.

Pros

Inclusion of minorities

Cons

Pay is low, no respect for personal life or consideration of work and life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GENEVA CENTRE FOR AUTISM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement