General Motors
Information from General Motors:

General Motors Employee Reviews for Laborer

Laborer15 reviews
Canada15 reviews
a fast paced environment where all are expected to perform there task in a concise time frame with precision and keeping the quality to a standard spec.
Moving around the assigned area to keep the movement to the team flowing and on time with again quality being the number 1 end goal.

The most difficult part of the daily routine is to keep all area clean and safe for all employees and mobile equipment.

The best part of the day is just being with other associates and discussing the event that take place on the floor and laughing with each other.
honestly from my experience working there is was good for the first 2 years then everything went down hill had new management and they ruined the place with there cocky selfish rude attitude's.
Sad to see Oshawa close the time that I was their honestly couldn’t ask for a better place to work. Great group of people the supervisors are all great really friendly and helpful when needed good environment, good pay!
Thanks General Motors Oshawa!
The jobs are very hard on your body, care more about profits then the people that work for them. I learned how to be somewhere else in my head while carrying out my duties as a worker. I presently have a job that challenges me and makes me use my head, this is a job i very much like and am enjoying going to work and completing this assignment daily. The moral since the announcement makes it bitter sweet. I finally have a job after 30 years that I truly enjoy even tho it is physically hard on my body after 30 years of repetitive line work.The most enjoyable part of the job is the many people I have worked and become friends with.
Pros
making something. great pay, benefits, pension
Cons
no job security, very demanding
luckily I was all over in GM Oshawa....spent 10 years in the north plant , spent ten years in the truck plant, spent the last ten years in the car plant.
Pros
employee discounts on vehicles
Cons
repetition
Official response from General Motors
19 June 2018
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and your contributions to GM!
lunches and breaks become shorter. Waiting 10 years for full pay is ridiculous and things don't seem to be getting any better. Company constantly looking for ways to exploit employees and make the working environment more stressful for the people actually doing the job.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything listed
great place to work just a lot of layoffs everybody was very nice and easy to work with and the bosses were laid back witch made the job a lot less stressful.
Job pays well really easy going however you never know when you'll be out of a job do to strikes and cutbacks no new hiring ever and plant is closing soon
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always on strike
Dedicated 31 years of my life to General Motors. Provided a good life for my family. It was stable but hard work. They need more jobs like this for the next generation!
- 8 hr shift - sometimes overtime, repetitive work
- learnt something new all the time as I changed jobs with GM on the line frequently

-management was always doing their best for the employee - sometimes their hands were tied, however mostly really great.

- I got along with pretty much everyone, I enjoy people

-the hardest part of the job was frequent changes to the positions, however mostly ending back where they started

-the most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and building quality products for the consumer.
Pros
wage and being apart of building vehicles for the community
Cons
the uncertainty of the job
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Treated like rats by the staff.
good working environment, work safety, team work, time management
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty