General Motors Employee Reviews for Laborer

See reviews about:
Found 11 reviews matching the search See all 6,451 reviews
Too much for too little
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 December 2017
lunches and breaks become shorter. Waiting 10 years for full pay is ridiculous and things don't seem to be getting any better. Company constantly looking for ways to exploit employees and make the working environment more stressful for the people actually doing the job.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything listed
great place to work
labourer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 September 2017
great place to work just a lot of layoffs everybody was very nice and easy to work with and the bosses were laid back witch made the job a lot less stressful.
Good until you strike
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 June 2017
Job pays well really easy going however you never know when you'll be out of a job do to strikes and cutbacks no new hiring ever and plant is closing soon
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Always on strike
Hard work.
Automotive Labourer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 March 2017
Dedicated 31 years of my life to General Motors. Provided a good life for my family. It was stable but hard work. They need more jobs like this for the next generation!
Overall great job
General Labourer/Utility Repairman (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 February 2017
- 8 hr shift - sometimes overtime, repetitive work
- learnt something new all the time as I changed jobs with GM on the line frequently
-management was always doing their best for the employee - sometimes their hands were tied, however mostly really great.
- I got along with pretty much everyone, I enjoy people
-the hardest part of the job was frequent changes to the positions, however mostly ending back where they started
-the most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers and building quality products for the consumer.
Pros
wage and being apart of building vehicles for the community
Cons
the uncertainty of the job
Good Student Position
General Labourer (Temporary Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 September 2015
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 January 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Treated like rats by the staff.
productive
General labor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 December 2014
good working environment, work safety, team work, time management
a factory enviroment
General Labour (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 March 2014
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 January 2013
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty