General Motors
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

General Motors Employee Reviews for Assembler

Assembler70 reviews
Canada70 reviews
I was on the assembly line assembling cars. I was trained on most of the machines so I have a good variety of skills. The company did a lot of charity work which I was involved in.
I enjoyed interacting with the other employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No job security
They barely give you any training, have no concern for your safety but if you hurt yourself they will find every way under the sun to blame you. Union is useless. You’re underpaid and overworked all while not even being treated like a human
Pros
Cons
management views you as expendable,very one sided view on things,not helpful at all.very little compassion and no flexability at all.always pushing blame on workers and not taking responsibility
Overall the job pays well with good benefits.On the downside the work is very boring and time seems to stand still.lf these jobs paid less the turn over rate would be very high.That being said l have lasted 30 years there and provided a good life for my family and can now look forward to a pension to carry me into my golden years.
Senior employees and union sold out new poeple. Temps (TPT's) are treated poorly by both management and senior employees. Could work for years before getting hired then 10 years before you reach full wage. Poor benefits as well. Used to be everyone wanted to work there and stayed. TPT's come and go because of low wages, benefits and being treated poorly.
General Motors the company is far different than working with Unifor which is owned & operated by the Local 81/Freemasons. The union has zero respect for new comers, and they will try to shoot their own guys. If you are lucky enough to be targeted by union you will experience threats that regarded your home, family, and whatever else those goons can use to scare you. The union targets hard working young people, and anyone who knows what is really going on in there knows that young women will be harassed by the men regardless of how good they look.
High turnover in management. Too many like minded individuals with extremely poor attitudes. Very clique-like environment that makes for uncomfortable work space.
Overall good experience but I would jot recommend anyone to work there, it’s very stressful and very fast paced, which is fine if you have understanding management, however the management was very rude almost like they were power tripping because they felt superior to you. The pay was decent and they had good benefits in place. Just not enough to make a career out of unless you don’t mind verbal abuse
You start as a TPT, on call hours. Essentially, the better worker you are, the more hours you get. Good attendance and accountability go far with Supervisors that appreciate people who actually want to work. Horror stories about the company come from the people who play the system and get caught. Just keep your head down, do your job and you'll be fine.

Management was great with me. Very helpful and accommodating if I ever needed time off because I took little. Very supportive to those who actually do their job.
Terrible company with terrible work atmosphere run but a bunch of ignorant clowns. I would never recommend anyone buying there product and certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to work there. Once upon a time sure but it's a toilet company with grabage work.
Overall I learned how to be a hard dedicated worker no matter the situation, I also learned how to manage a group of employees to produce the best vehicles with little to no defects
So sad that it was closed already. H ow I wish that I am still working there. I was well compensated and well cared. Good working environment and nice people.
During my time at General Motors I was a full time part time worker for 6 years then became full time. During my employment there I learned multiple jobs.
I worked at the Oshawa plant. everyone was friendly, lots of opportunity to learn new things and gain new insights. 10/10 recommend. Also a pay you can actually live off of (outside of toronto).
Overall satisfactory, however wasn't enough understanding between management and hourly employees. Needed more communication lack of understanding between the two. Lack of understanding of what jobs actually involve. Need more hands on from salary personnel.
Great place to work. It took me almost three years to be hired full-time but usually still worked forty hours a week. It is disappointing that the plant will stopped assembly of their products at the end of 2019, but I hope that GM will return with new product that will be in demand providing much needed jobs in the area.
Love it there, just wish i had longer to work there. People were friendly and i loved my job. I honestly have no complaints besides the whole strike thing lol
Terrible place to work. Management doesn't care about their employees or what happens to them, as long as another vehicle is rolling off the line. To that I say Adios! Enjoy Mexico.
I enjoyed my time working with General motors, although I had joined the team just before its closure date I still made good money, worked with good people and was able to learn many things within working there. overall I had a great experience working for this company.
General Motors not only did a lot for its Employee's, but went beyond. Also, there was a lot expected from the Employees. The problems was management allowed too much leeway, and of course it is natural instinct for people to take advantage. The people, and job was great, for most. For me, it was too repetitive of the same in and same out, I needed more as far as stimulation the mind.
Your typical evil greedy corporation that cares more about the bottom line then anything else. They cut every corner possible resulting in poor work conditions and bad products. Management would rather pretend problems don't exist, and use bully tactics to keep you complacent then actually look into matters to get this fixed. The company is an embarrassment. Not only will i never work for them again, but i will never buy another GM product.