General Motors
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

General Motors Employee Reviews

Canada512 reviews

Found 512 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,226 reviews

Was treated fairly, they truly do stand behind family first and they really have for me.

Over all a good company to work for. If you show up do your job and don’t mind repetitive work that you can pick up fast then it’s the perfect job.

Pros

Decent pay, easy work

Cons

Swing shift

Horrible cesspool of nepotism and egoism

I worked at GM for just shy of 10 years and this place is something else. I was a young idealistic kid when I started out there; a real nose-to-the-grindstone type who would work his fingers to the bone if needed. After almost a year of giving this place the most effort any young worker could, a string of horrible Foreman's turned me from a workhorse into a professional obstacle in a war that would only ever finally end when I decided to leave.If you want to have pretty significant mechanical abilities but then have an ECE with an English major micromanage every second of your day while knowing absolutely nothing about car manufacturing, this is the place for you. Want to deal with a barrage of petty tyrants who will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat to protect their own authority? Sign up here. This place is so unbelievably toxic and frankly ridiculous that I'm surprised it wasn't a hit reality series or a sitcom.The only thing, and I mean *only* thing that makes this place worthwhile will be your future coworkers. Your comisseration will create lasting friendships and the adversity of having an anthropologist try to tell you how to paint fenders properly will bind you in a very special solidarity with one another. I miss some of these people terribly, but that's about it. This is the worst place I have ever worked, and I've picked apples in the fall with frozen fingers in biting wind for minimum wage.

Pros

Your coworkers

Cons

Literally everything other than your coworkers

The place will suck the life out of your soul.

The place is a meat grinder stay away. Jobs are made for Olympic athletes don’t do it.I would recommend you try something different. Go. back to school do something you like

Pros

It’s a job.

Cons

Leaner, meaner faster is the way it works there. You’ll never take a washroom break with out asking.

Good place to make money.

typical car sales role. big focus on profit. training online. high outbound calls for success. product knowledge mandatory to learn. love meeting new clients

Pros

skills, ability to make good money

Cons

expected to work often

Stay in school and get a meaningful job.

General Motors cares about shareholders and executives only. Quality was an idea more than a practice. Management was terrible as was the union. After spending 36 yrs there, I can honestly say that it wasn't too bad of a place in the 80's and 90's, but went down hill after that.

Pros

Good wages prior to closing

Cons

Poor management, a lot of back stabbing and terrible union reps

I worked on the assembly Line which is nice and easy.

Job is extremely simple but management is strict and rude. Two 15 minute breaks with a 30 minute lunch. Again very strict and can't leave the line whenever you need too. Have to call for bathroom/smoke breaks. Good overtime though.

If you want to work around the clock, this is for you

Vacation start at 2 weeks only, benefits are weak, pension is good at 11%. There are 4 4day long weekends you get. You will be forced to work 6 days a week most of the year, so life/work balance is poor. Plus you will have weekly rotating all 3 shifts.

Pros

Not pressured, relaxed atmosphere

Cons

Forced overtime weekly, rotating 3 shifts

I was Contract but i love the jobs i get to learn

As a contract TPT I was placed in assembly and being a girl that just walked into the plant with no experience they treated me Fairley and trained me well but I've worked there for over a year and still have not been hired on... however I wouldn't trade it for the world. Unfortunately the automotive isn't a certain industry with all the lay offs lately but it's worth the wait

Cons

Mandatory over time

Great place to work…36 years

Great place to work. 36 years of service. Enjoyed being part of the company. They were very supportive when my wife was sick and I needed to work off shift to be able to look after her. Great place to work and retire from would recommend it.

Pros

Shift work

Retired July 1, 2020

Started at GM August 29, 1988 and retired July 1, 2020. Received my apprenticeship in July 1991. Was a great place to work with lots of different areas to work in(Production). Met lots of great people on both sides of the fence(hourly and salary). Work changed over the years going from production to skilled trades. Working three shifts is both tough mentally and physically, but you do it. You make it work. Very satisfying to work through a problem and having it all come together in the end and see your finished product doing what it's supposed to do! Very safety orientated in all aspects. Loved being a ToolMaker in Service! Lots of overtime if you want money. Can be hot, stinky and noisy, but you have to remember its a machining/assembly engine/transmission plant and that's the way it is.

Pros

Great pay, great coworkers, some great managers, interesting job

Cons

Hot and stinky in some areas, midnight shift

Decent pay but…

Decent compensation. Culture is behind the times. Political mgmt team. Diversity not considered relevant. Engineering mindset is juvenile and stuck in old ways.

Pros

Product testing.

Cons

Still an ol’ boys club mgmt mentality.

Good entourage, big money, terrible efficiency

1) a corrupted hiring process of the type "a friend brings a friend". The managers know each other for years since the time they worked together for a different company in a different country and push each other up. That results in utter incompetence in all management levels. They can't make a simple decision but instead waste time on meetings, transfer responsibilities, manipulate with the data to show a fake performance of their teams.2) a poor software development culture. The code is written such a way that produces bugs in a long term perspective. No one cares that that would fire back in other teams or later in time. No one care to re-write the code again and again for each new car model. 3) There is no feeling of ownership, a common goal, thinking out-of-box. Developers and leads are mostly concentrated on the performance of their own team and miss the company goal.4) The employees are distracted from work by spamming emails from the management, useless mandatory courses, celebrations of all imaginable holidays from around the world, endless talking and meetings, changed policies etc. In fact, the company does everything possible for employees to be less efficient and spend less time on the actual work.5) No innovation. GM is an integrator of the solutions provided by vendors. If you want to develop an exciting technology, you are at the wrong address. 6) Salary and benefits are huge. But they do not correlate with the competence and performance of an average employee. The company only does it because it can afford due to being a huge automotive corporation -

I had always dreamed of working at GM and when that day came true, I couldn't of been more excited. Once I started there GM was exactly what I expected. The automsphere was wonderful, the people are so helpful and willing to train you properly. Management looks after their employees very well.

Team member good to work with

A day at cami automotive was a great place to work most days people higher up could be hard to get along with working with your team members I think was the best part of the day problem solving was a great experience for me

Pros

Full time work

Cons

Long days

Nice place to work

I worked there for a year & a half. I wish it didn't close. Nice people. Friendly atmosphere. Can play music. Read newspaper. Look at your phone as long as you do your work. It is hard work, but rewarding. Pay was great. Loved the management. Loved the hours. Close to home, can't wait for them to reopen. Oshawa will be vibrant again.

Pros

Close to home. Great workers

Enjoyed my time there

I started at General Motors when I was 19. I had a good 6 years or so there. I started as a tpt and it did take a long time to get full time but eventually I did. The work is repetitive and tiring but I did not mind it. Lots of great people, always felt like family there. Benefits and decent pay, I felt comfortable there. Over the years I have been on multiple jobs so I did learn quite a bit. Overall my experience was good, of course there was some downsides as I’m sure there is at most jobs. I would recommend it if you don’t mind physical work and shift work.

Pros

Pay, benefits, consistent work

Cons

Exhausting

Productive and fast pace

It definitely was a robotic fast pace. But you learn it well and it becomes natural to you. It is helpful to be a team player. There are times you help out others. And visa versa. It is good to pay attention and be a part of visual checks as your job comes and goes by you.

Pros

Days go by fast

Cons

Shift change adapting bi weekly

Productive but run by the floor

Enjoyed the work. Just lack of employee control No backing from management. Everyone running separate agendas. Stabbing you in the back at every turn. Constantly left to hang.

Pros

Steady

Cons

Pay ranges to big.

It wasn't terrible

No chance for career advancement. Ancient technology mixed with new. Health and safety a plus.Contract bargaining is sad, they will bargain in bad faith.4

Challenging temp. TPC

It was fun, for as long as it lasted.Provided 35hrs/WK until American suppliers went on strike. I didn't receive pay for stats or strikes.Work instructions very thorough, and explicit.Not easy but challenging environment to..5 operation s in 90 seconds.I had fun.

Pros

Relatively good safe, clean, well paid.

Cons

Timed job, little opportunity ad a TPC

They treated me well

Fun place to work , great hours well paid good pension advancement opportunities,the people were a diverse and great bunch of people. What else can you ask for in a job

Pros

Hours

Cons

Employee parking lol

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1K