General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 360 reviews matching the search See all 6,980 reviews
Good healthcare benefits
IT Senior Data Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 March 2019
Good place to work, excellent paid holidays. There are long working hours. Good healthcare benefits and a great retirement savings plan.Positions in Canada are becoming since there is only one assembly plant left and one power train site.
productive and efficient
Sr. Design Release Engineer (DRE) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 March 2019
Productive and very productive with high productivity on all assembly fabrication lines; Quality and productivity represent a very high interest for the fabrication process
Pros
free lunch
Cons
free lunch
Team Culture
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Canada5 March 2019
Most teams are pretty good. There is a push to include new technology into all facets of the corporation, so that is encouraging. There is a geographic restriction, in that there are only 4 IT centers.
Pros
Discount on New Vehicles
Great company to work
Global Asset Software Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 March 2019
Motivating environment and good balance work / life. Continouus learning and the company takes care of its emplyees. Work safety taken versy swriously.
Great company with great values
Design Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 February 2019
Excellent environment to work, where you can learn a lot of things related to vehicle systems and new technologies.
It has been really excited to work in this company for several years and be part of the launch of new products; from the initial concept until the product in the customers' hands.
Review for Concentrix, not GM (which I cannot speak to)
Customer Care Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 February 2019
The call center job inside the GM building can be very difficult and challenging. It can also be extremely stressful depending on the customer. Normally this would be welcome, but the pay for such work is too small. The management and culture there is wonderful and the work is never boring
Pros
Great and understanding management and culture
Cons
Pay too little for such a difficult job
Good working place but company future seem insecure
Senior Design Release (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 February 2019
I was working for GM Canada for several years, both contract and permanent positions. I worked with many people and made many great friends, office or plant people. Working for GM was a pleasant experience overall but, there are hardly any advancement opportunities for immigrants
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Relatively far from Toronto and insecure future
Educational
PLC PROGRAMMER / CONTROLS / Building Automation (Former Employee) –  Oshawa23 February 2019
Opportunity to intermingle with skilled tradespeople from all building trades (steam, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, building controls automation). Applied skills opportunities for PLC programming, AutoCAD, project management, interpersonal skills. An excellent company to work for.
Pros
Skills application, multi-faceted learning environment
Cons
Automotive industry shrinking in Canada
Line worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 February 2019
It was a great to work when it was up and running but with plant closing its gone down hill. I would show up and when shift started i would work the line and fill racks with automotive parts to be shipped to parts of gm. I would stop for 2 10 min breaks and a 20 min lunch when they were complete I would go back to the line to continue to work and would leave at the end of the day.
Before the shutdown
Automotive Assembler/ Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 February 2019
fun place to work, everyone there treats you like family and the pay was pretty good for a college kid. could choose what shifts i wanted to pick up. sucks its being shut down now
Big family and friends
Assistant Body Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2019
This was a great place to work, , Many great memories and great staff, Busy and full of smart technicians. Perhaps the best job I ever had. We will never forget
Pros
hosest
Cons
busy
Afforded us a good life.
Autoworker/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 February 2019
Started off working at the Scarboro Van Plant. Learned about assembly line work. Made many friends over the course of 17 years. The plant closed and we were sent to Oshawa Truck Plant and lost many friends. Still, we enjoyed security until retiring after 31 years.
Pros
straight 8 hour shifts
Cons
very labour intensive work
Productive and excellent working environment
Senior Information Specialist for Mainframe (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 February 2019
well usage of my technical skills in mainframe; team player excellent working environment; smooth process for life cycle of system development including gathering requirement, design, coding, unit testing, system testing, user testing, implementation, production support and much more.
Fast paced work environment
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON11 February 2019
Good work life balance. Culture under constant change and employees have fear of job security. Support team environment with and offers opportunities to work within various functions to to develop your skills.
Pros
good salary benefits
Cons
long hours, rotating shifts and weekends
Excellent workplace
IT Global Data Architect /Data Modeler (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 February 2019
I have just lost my job at GM due to a cost savings reductions cut. I loved my job, I worked with GM for 18 years. I was great at my job. I was loved at my job. But, a decision made at the higher levels above. I was a great employee and loved and spoke highly of company.
So, in my opinion the company made a great mistake in the way they saved money for the company. Lots of very talented people in IT Canada were gone with me.
Pros
I loved my Job
Cons
No Cons for me
The GM headquarters was a good place to work
GM IT (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 February 2019
I enjoyed working on setting up servers for uploading automation machinery. They allowed me to devolpment programs to increase work efficiency by 100%
Good
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 February 2019
Very good company to work for. Compensation is on par with other companies. Alittle concerned with job security, depending on which position you hold.
Pros
Salary
Cons
security
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 February 2019
Retired from GM after 31 years. It was a truly great place to work back in my day. I was able to put my kids through school. I am highly disappointed to see GM pull out of Oshawa
Great Work Life Balance
Senior Design Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI29 January 2019
GM is a great employer with a great job culture. Very flexible hours as an engineer - as long as I get my job done, I can spend as many or as few hours working as required. Working from home is encouraged.
Lots of room to advance, but lately there hasn't been as much job security with the layoffs coming soon.
Productive and fun place to work
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 January 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is the amazing people I worked with. My direct supervisors were very friendly and understanding. A typical day at work was challenging as each day required different skill sets and knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

53.2K