General Motors

Canada568 reviews

Found 568 reviews matching the searchSee all 9,747 reviews
motorgmgeneraltptassemblycanadaplantrepetitive

Excellent place to work

Great hours and great pay. Excellent place to work. Challenging and fulfilling. I started as a high school co-op and retired as a teniored 42 year veteran. I never had a bad experience in all of those years.

Pros

Excellent place to work

Good place overall

i worked there before the transition to the electric vehicle. however, it was still an alright job, was during covid so hours were inconsistent with intermittent layoffs. once hired full time wage is quite reasonable, work can be monotonous.

Insights into General Motors

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility

GM Family First

General Motors has a slogan of “GMFamilyFirst” which couldn’t be further from the truth. The benefit package is the worst I’ve ever heard of and doesn’t kick in for a year and a month from start date, mandatory 6 days a week with pressure to start earlier or stay late everyday. Your better to call in sick than ask for a day off, there isn’t a reason in the world which will satisfy management. Overall I wouldn’t recommend working for GM unless your okay with having no work life balance and being taken advantage of at every opportunity.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Everything other than pay

Not bad just not for me

Just can’t work hours and hours of doing the same thing over and over I know some people can but it’s very repetitive and gets old quick so it wasn’t for me

Pros

Lots of facilities nice coworkers

Cons

Long hours sometimes work 6 days a week

fun workplace

great place to work,great teamwork skills,great benefits. mutli cultural atmosphere.work from home. great leaders, well organized. overall a great place to be

The grass is greener...

Every place Ive worked has its pros and cons, and this place is no different. The pay is fantastic, you're out of the elements, benefits are really good. I think the worst thing has to be the over the line safety ( which overall is not a bad thing)and the legacy perspective that this place "used to be better". I truly hope this place stays open because id love to retire from here. apply, you will NOT regret it.

Pros

great money, benefits, bonus.

Cons

lots of available ot, inside all day(no sunshine for you), safety up the ying yang

Busy and repetitive

Very repetitive. You will be doing the same job constantly. Working the same muscles over and over. Alot of people would get injured. Not the best morale. They make you work almost every weekend for overtime.

Pros

Benefits and pay was ok

Cons

Repetitive. hard on your body, working weekends

Good people to work with.

Retired 13 years and no pension increase. Liked the job, only handful of good mgmt. Benefits great. Would work there again. Able as stockkeeper to set own daily schedule. Overtime available.

Pros

good wage

Great Company to Work for

Pros: Flexible, great work life balance, good pay and benefits, great for PhD holders and software engineersCons: No clear direction for your career progression, a lot of restructuring of the team where you could a job very different every couple of years

It’s a job

It pays the bills. I enjoy going to work most of the time. The people kinda suck but if you can get along with people around you then you can work here.

Productive and fun

Productive and fun. Everyone seemed to have enjoyed their job, good pay and a stable working environment. Everything seemed to have the ergonomic realty going as to prevent repetition and long term problems relating to over use of your body.

Challenging rewarding work

Challenging and rewarding Well compensatedFull benefitsPensionOvertime hours available Breeds discipline good work ethic by nature of workFast pace Innovative

It was a job

I retired in 2009 so a lot has changed with GM With the closing of GM in 2018 or 2019;they were able to remove the control of the union .Which in the long run was a good thing we have a great work force in Canada and the union should have been a lot more flexible with there trades the wages were above average at that time but pension was poor .o for one worked a lot of over time which I was never paid for .l believe they have gone to a better system now

for a factory - IT had a Great atmosphere, I loved going into work every day

I was at Cami Assembly Plant for 32 1/2 years - love my career there, I was actually sad to leave as the people were amazing across the plant, as I worked in all departments, but after over 30 years - IT was time to move on

Pros

great pay and good atmosphere

Cons

very hot in the late summer months in the plant

Amazing company with great benefits and salary

Overall, my experience was amazing at GM. Work-Life balance is taken seriously and even meetings are organized to address any issues employees are facing regarding stress.

Pros

Salary, Benefits

Cons

Some days can be stressful due to fast paced nature

Terrible Management, especially for trades. Very cut throat and vindictive fronting leaders.

When it was CAMI, place was very good, wages were competitive and work was rewarding. Since GM took 100% control place is aweful. Front line management is useless and very vindictive. Been here for 30+ years but not a place I would recommend to anybody. 3 shifts for trades and you can make better money in any place across Ontario. Just a job now!

Pros

Cons

Management, GM greed.

Busy, fast pace and Productive

Fast pace, good jobs, Excellent coworkers. Ok pay but barely any benefits. Some management can be pushy. Organizing production is not very good. Overall good place to work.

Pros

Good coworkers, jobs are not to stressful and you get a vehicle discount

Cons

Benefits are lacking

I love Gm

Its really a good place to work. Good people, environment, pay as well. We can learn something new always. Feel relaxed always due to the cool behaviour of people.

Every 30 days

Excellent working environment, safety is Paramount and they go to great lengths to train you properly. The management staff has been nothing but helpful and encouraging and always there to help.

Supportive Staff

Manager was very supportive of staff members and the work wasn’t overbearing. They were flexible and tried to accommodate staff to achieve a good work life balance. Really enjoyed my time there

Generally a good place to ride out your work life

Good place with loads of support from coworkers and supervisors as long as you show some initiative. Work-life balance is a bit of concept that is overlooked and sometimes ignored. Work is easy, and sometimes a little dull and boring. Can be fast paced at times of multiple breakdowns but generally an easy go.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement