General Motors Employee Reviews

Uncertainty
Electrical/Controls Designer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2018
The pay is ok, contract work has no benefits. Short term contract. People are so afraid to lose their jobs, self job protection is the common culture. Very racist invirenment. Management is trying hard to hire more visible workers. But some workers still openly saying racist comments. There is a black engineer making the same mistakes as many white engineers did, but he got very bad comments behind his back. It was hard to listen to.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No sense of belonging. Nobody is really proud of what they are doing.
One of the best companies anyone can work for
AVD Exterior Lighting Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, Mi6 July 2018
The best place to learn and grow
The support you receive is second to none
The compensation is amazing and the possibilities are endless
Easily the friendliest and most inviting place to work.
Your opinion matters and you'll always get a chance
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
location
enjoyable work with supportive people
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON5 July 2018
Good place to work and good hours.I had the opporunity ot think creatively and put my ideas to work in practical applications.Fair compensation and vacation for average achievers. Fair benefits for those who are not new hires. Generally good people to work with.
Pros
Pays well. Low stress.
Cons
Hard on the body. Long work weeks. There is no improving at your job just do this job no more.
Good work environment
Temporary- Moist Sand (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 June 2018
I worked in Moist sand as a student and was given lots of hours and was treated great by everyone that i worked with which made time fly and made it easy to go into work everyday
Good place to work team efforts
Inventory clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa13 June 2018
Multitask and accomplish deadlines ahead of schedule. Eye for detail in finding errors and correcting in time for financial reporting. Management is very good and thorough, Culture is open to suggestions and working together. Hardest part of job was training myself since previous employee had to leave quickly - medical reasons. Most enjoyable part was meeting the deadlines ahead of time in order to review. Interesting job where you expanded your knowledge and dealt with different countires.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Learning job myself
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Impala plant
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
I really enjoyed working at General motors because I was the alternate relief on my shift.Every night I would fill in for someone that was on holidays, or called in sick. That position allowed me to learn a lot of different job around the plant.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Was only hired as a temporary worker. Eventually laid off
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Provided a good living
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 June 2018
luckily I was all over in GM Oshawa....spent 10 years in the north plant , spent ten years in the truck plant, spent the last ten years in the car plant.
Pros
employee discounts on vehicles
Cons
repetition
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and your contributions to GM!

Productive and fun place
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON29 May 2018
nice place to work. though there is no work-life balance, as seniors always burden you with extra work, however, the good part is you get to learn a lot. management is weak in few areas.
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

Workplace
Part Time Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2018
The workplace is great and allows you to grow in the company. The job requires a lot of learning and hard work but that is part of any job requirement.
19 June 2018

Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for telling us about your experience.

offered full time employment with pension and benefits
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 May 2018
This company offered long-term, full time employment with pension and benefits and reasonable health and safety practices at a time when the country was experiencing a major recession. For this I am thankful for General Motors of Canada.
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Want to know more about General Motors?

Ask a question
general motors
Forklift driver ,warehouse attendant (Former Employee) –  woodstock,ontario17 May 2018
picked full lifts of stock and replace live pickers with full lift when picking was done I unloaded trucks and put new stock away in reserve locations. when not on forklift I walk picked orders for dealers and shipped. good job no complaints
Pros
good money and benefits and clean work enviroment
Cons
swing shift
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Enjoyable working environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2018
I was granted the opportunity to be a part of the first Summer Student Internship program at GM. I was assigned to a supervisor that I worked well with all summer long. I was introduced to an exciting, different work environment that I had never had before. Over the course of my work term, I met with other student interns and had only heard amazing things at the company.
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and for letting us know about your experience! We're glad you enjoyed your time here.

Competitive and focused on growth
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 May 2018
Workplace culture varies among business units, mainly as a result of different management styles. This can greatly impact the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Vacation time, Extra Holidays
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Fun workplace with good team members
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 April 2018
Every day was something new to do and it was challenging which I enjoyed. Help was always around when needed. Fast paced environment with many things to work on.
Pros
Flex time.
Cons
Long hours.
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to thank you for your contributions to GM and appreciate the feedback.

Great Experiance
(TPT) OPERATOR - CONSOLIDATED LINE (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 April 2018
Only worked on the line, but everyone in there made you feel like part of the community of the factory. Had a great four years there during school and will stay as one of my favorite jobs.
19 June 2018

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your role. Thank you for your contributions to GM!

Good salaries and benefits.
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 April 2018
Stable work environment. Management provided equipment training and support to complete required work assignments. Most employees, management and hourly are easy to get along with.
Pros
Excellent benefit package.
Cons
No complaints

Full time
Die Setter, Inspector, , Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 April 2018
Started there when I got out of high school and work my 30 yrs. there did lots of jobs in there and learned a lot of new jobs there it was a good place to work
good
19 June 2018

Thank you for your commitment and contributions to GM! We appreciate the feedback.

Fun workplace with high employee morale
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 April 2018
While the work was very tough and management can sometimes be tough to deal with when things go wrong, overall it is a pretty positive work environment. If you are a hard worker you will do well. Workers stick together and there is a very high amount of teamwork that goes on. Everyone helps each other out and stands united. The people are what make the job so amazing. If you want a job that comes with a work family this is a great place to work.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, can be fun when you work with the right people
Cons
physically demanding, repetitive, fast-paced
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We would like to thank you for your contributions to GM and appreciate the feedback!

OK for a Shift Work company
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 April 2018
GM has a great initiative for helping students by giving them part time, full time or summer jobs. Not the most exciting job, but with the help of fun employees it makes for a fun place to work

Heavy on Management
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON30 March 2018
Most days we work very hard, often against what seems to be right, as Management doesn't share their objectives and reasons for many decisions. Feedback is not always welcome on ways to improve
Pros
good hours
Cons
hard on the body and mind
19 June 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2