General Motors Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
(Linux System Admin) & Strategic planner (Current Employee) –  Talegaon, India2 February 2018
General Motors is really a nice company to work in India.

Working culture is very good and always helpful.
As I am working in a global team of General Motors, all team members are ready to help and support in any situation or condition.

They always take care of their employee, as per my experience, no matter in what corner of world the employee is, he or she are been taken care.

Typical day at work is when you have surprised drill and you need to be a part of it in the middle of your work.

I have learned to work in any stress full condition.

Management at GM is always helpful.

The workplace culture is always helpful and it is a perfect place as workplace of choice.

The hardest part of job is that to wake up in the middle of night and work on issues occurred.

The enjoyable part of the job is you always get support from your team members.
Pros
Free lunches, medical
Cons
never heard of any
a place you hope to work for your whole life.
engineers (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 February 2018
open, agile working environment, perfect work and life balance. it is not a home but feel like GM is a home where you can work for your whole life. it is not possible but hope so.

you can get opportunities to grow both technical expertise and software skill. It continue to be challenging daily to daily work. and you need to work hard to get high performance.

however management is a little not detail focus. the hard working employee and low performers, both don't get what they deserve.
Pros
perfect work and life balance
Cons
management need to improve
General Motors of Canada Ltd.
Construction / Industrial Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 February 2018
Working for GM was a wonderful experience. Afterwards I worker in the nuclear industry. It was even more rewarding! Now in retirement I look forward to new opportunities and challenges.
Pros
Job security, high pay.
Cons
Difficult and dangerous work.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON11 January 2018
Good experience, learned how to deal with stressful situations, very long hours, not a lot of time to spend with family
They dont give you the ability to do your job
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Long Hours
job satisfaction
Administrator/Appointment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 January 2018
I am not satisfied with my position at this company. I was hired for a certain job and got demoted pretty much. I am definately not impressed with the service manager, he belittles employees and does not have the skills to get and keep employees or customers
Most Challenging Job
Group Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 January 2018
Hardest job I have ever had. The pressure is intense, the support is minimal and working in an unionized environment such as this one is a monster all of its' own. You will learn a lot about yourself in this position.
Too much for too little
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 December 2017
lunches and breaks become shorter. Waiting 10 years for full pay is ridiculous and things don't seem to be getting any better. Company constantly looking for ways to exploit employees and make the working environment more stressful for the people actually doing the job.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything listed
overall decent, people work there for the money
Automobile Assembler (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2017
Management isn't great, the work isn't that fun but at the same time if you learn the jobs and get into a rhythm then you're fine. The money was good and was the most enjoyable part of the job as well as the people who work there.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
shifts suck
Excellent pay, great people to work with
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 December 2017
Love the people I work with and the pay is excellent ... GM has really been trying lately to be more of a fair employer and it has made it a better workplace
Pros
Excellent pay, set hours
Cons
Short breaks
Overall is a great Company to work for, with great benefits package and a bright future.
Global Innovation Lead for BFG (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI30 November 2017
It could benefit from better work/life balance.
It is a good company for professional wroth.

Want to know more about General Motors?

Ask a question
Physically Demanding
Utility Repair / Spare (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 November 2017
The assembly line has evolved at GM. It is fast paced and highly stressful. Repetitive stress injuries are common. The company is constantly trying to improve its process.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Stability is reliant on the market.
Poor Management
Car start/Gas fill/Underbody/AGV (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON24 November 2017
In the beginning it was a good place to work. Nice co-workers, good pay. Management was poor they only looked out for themselves. Treated employees poorly.
Pros
Good pay, nice co-workers
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of employees, not treated equally
Great place to work.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 November 2017
General Motors allowed me to raise my family in a comfortable and secure manner, as I was employed there for over 30 years. My wages and benefits were above the norm for other factory workers, which made it possible for my family to experience many extras that were not available to other factory workers. I gained many friends, positive experiences, as well as benefits that continue now into my retirement from GM.
Fun and challenging
Operations Supervisor/Quality Control & Franchisee (Former Employee) –  VE20 November 2017
Great inclusive work environment. Very challenging day to day work. Excellent people to work with. The best experience to work with so knowledgeable people.
Strict management, but the job was fun
Production Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 November 2017
I learnt a lot during my time with GM. My managers were efficient in teaching me how to make decisions on my own but also backed me up when I needed them.
Great place to work, receive pension, varied experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON16 November 2017
Great place to work, after 30 yrs, I received a great pension. Got alot of vacation time and enjoyed long weekend off with my family. I was exposed to many different jobs on the line and it was a great experience
Great Company to work for
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 October 2017
Great Company I worked there until I retired. Salary / benefits and unionized.
I worked in the Oshawa plant in various positions. There have been numerous changes in the company
A nice workplace with a need of New Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Delhi19 October 2017
New Thoughts needed in the company , Like most other large corporations, General Motors has an enormous and complex multi-level, interconnected corporate portfolio. Nested in the corporate portfolio are portfolios of divisions, of brands within divisions, of models within brands, of cosmetic and mechanical variations within models, of market segments, of manufacturing plants, of supply chains, and of dealers
Enjoyed my time working there as it provided a living and life for my family.
Receiving Tech (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 October 2017
My first twelve years was on production which was mostly same routine daily with the boredom factor to deal with. Material handling removed that element. Learned more about inner working of large corporations when asked to do a few special assignments for my department. Most enjoyable would be the earned respect of my fellow work mates.
Pros
Benefits for my young family while they were growing up.
Cons
Time away from family to earn those benefits
Valuable experience for a fresh out of school graduate
Design Release Engineer- Underbody (Current Employee) –  Warren, MI28 September 2017
Started working as a design release engineer, mirroring my senior on a very important program and gradually started to manage my own parts. From the initial design to the costs for parts, including the DFMEA aspect for these particular parts. Overall a very good experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2