General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 342 reviews matching the search See all 6,622 reviews
Good Experience
Automotive Assembler - TPT (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 January 2019
Enjoyable, fast-paced environment. This was great learning experience, glad i was able to join the team for a short period of time before it closes permanently.
Temporary Part Time (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 January 2019
Steady hours and steady shifts meant you were able to plan things around work quite easily when working full time.
Co-workers are quite friendly and welcoming.
management
Senior Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 January 2019
very toxic environment unless you smooze with management you will never move up, even that is not a guarantee,good employees dropping like flies here.
It was a good place to work at....
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2019
Can't say much....not sure who's reading. Just google GM Oshawa in the news and you'll find out all you need to know. It was a decent place to work but they slowly eroded benefits and DB pension over the last few years.
Fast Paced Factory Environment
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2019
Working on the line has its pros and cons. Pros being that once you learn the job it becomes extremely easy, cons being a boring and repetitive job. starting salary is good and increases from there.
very difficult to work there
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 January 2019
The jobs are very hard on your body, care more about profits then the people that work for them. I learned how to be somewhere else in my head while carrying out my duties as a worker. I presently have a job that challenges me and makes me use my head, this is a job i very much like and am enjoying going to work and completing this assignment daily. The moral since the announcement makes it bitter sweet. I finally have a job after 30 years that I truly enjoy even tho it is physically hard on my body after 30 years of repetitive line work.The most enjoyable part of the job is the many people I have worked and become friends with.
Pros
making something. great pay, benefits, pension
Cons
no job security, very demanding
Great Place to work
Team Leader Operations (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 January 2019
GM was a great place to work and make an excellent wage.
They have good benefits and great Union Representation.
The company tries to adhere to any special requests.

Factory work causes strains on the body.
Shiftwork gets more difficult for most people as you age.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Shiftwork
Have enjoyed working at this company,but they are leaving Oshawa now.
Executive Assistant, SALES, MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 January 2019
Fun place to work with good salary and benefits.
Close to home as I was living in Whitby when I was employed here.

Fast-phased environment which I enjoyed.

Job culture - excellent
Pros
Was able to test drive every new vehicle
Cons
Now the company is leaving Oshawa.
Good Company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada8 January 2019
Redefined workplace culture and provide great benefits. Opportunity for advancement within all aspects of the business. Excellent internal talent process.
Good place to work,treated fairly
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  St.Catharines31 December 2018
Generally a good place to work. I have been treated fairly by all members of managment I have reported to.The hourly employees on machining and Assemby lines, the tradesman have bee a pleasant surprise.As a supervisor not employed at GM I heard the stories of a lazy and spoiled workforce.My experience in the 12 yrs at GM with hourly ee's has been very positive, I find them professional and committed to Safety and Quality.
Pros
Good pay, fair treatment
Cons
Lots of hours
3 January 2019

Thank you for everything that you do and for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are glad that you are enjoying your time here.

Want to know more about General Motors?

Ask a question
prefer not to leave a forced review
Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 December 2018
Prefer not to leave a forced review about a company i currently or have worked for. This should be entirely optional. and the amount of characters one chooses to write should also be optional. Thank you.
3 January 2019

Thank you for your time with us we appreciate all of your contributions.

Needed a change
Law and Ethics - Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2018
It was time for a change... throughout my career at different dealerships I definitely had different experiences. All good learning and life skills to build from.
3 January 2019

Thank you for all of your contributions and taking the time to share your feedback!

Exciting at Dealership level jobs
Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2018
Working at General Motors is a great way to learn about the automotive industry, lot of new innovations. Based on your role, if you are in the field as a travelling District Manager you will learn about how marketing programs that are received by the purchasing public. At head office, you will have a chance to learn how business processes and analysis can make a large impact on the lives of employees at dealerships nationwide.
Pros
Great room for advancement if you are mobile
Cons
If you have a field job, can be away from home a lot leading to a work/life imbalance
3 January 2019

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We love that you are enjoying your time here. Thank you for everything that you do.

contract
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 December 2018
every time in a meeting I was talk down too. My manager was a control strong armed monster. had to take holidays off to finish work and lost time with family
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We read all of our reviews and take them seriously.

People are great
Machining, Assembly Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON3 December 2018
fair pay for fair days work. Can be rewarding if you are able to learn a variety of different job operations. Health and safety a top priority. New hires as of three years ago started at a graduated wage. Have no idea what they are earning now.
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience at GM!

Active workplace
Body Shop (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 December 2018
It can be a cool place to work, it all depends on what location you get put or who your working with. If you are paired up with the right group of people it can be a fun place to work.
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

GM Oshawa is a challenging and diverse workplace
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 December 2018
Based on the announcement of the plant being "idle" in December of 2019, there is little opportunity for growth, advancement or future opportunities at the Oshawa Assembly Plant.
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. To learn more about what we are doing to help those affected at Oshawa Assembly please visit: https://media.gm.ca/transformation

Fun place to work and great people
Bilingual Wear & Tear Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2018
Lack of structure or accountability
Management is sometimes too lenient with employees and does not like to "point fingers" which results in stagnant behaviour where change does not occur or improve.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Sometimes difficult to get support of new processes and ideas
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Great people to work with.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario26 November 2018
Great team atmosphere. The team always wanted to succeed and produce the best quality vehicles possible. Safety was an over riding priority. Very smart workforce.
3 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We appreciate all of your contributions to GM and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here.

I worked in the mail room for 12 years at GMC Oshawa
Supervised the mailroom (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 November 2018
The Mailroom in Oshawa handled all the mail for general Motors Canada rom east to west. I have to admit I've met some wonderful people through this job and we are still great friends today. We had a lot of fun!
Pros
Great friendships!
Cons
I can't think of any.
26 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for all of your contributions at GM over your 12 years!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2