General Motors Employee Reviews

Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 September 2018
Patrouille
CONTRÔLE d’accès
Rédiger des rapports journaliers
If you think pay solves all issues, think again
Many jobs, many titles (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 September 2018
lousy work environment, constant lying by management, ever increasing work load, dangerous atmosphere, needless harassment. Management wants to find fault.
Pros
Out of there now
Cons
everything
Work
Maintenance/Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 August 2018
Most members if management are pleasant and encouraging. The ones that aren't unfortunately ruin the whole feel of working for such a large cooperation.
4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

A good safe place to work
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 August 2018
Have been working there for 4 years now. A great and safe place to work. I have enjoyed my time and have learned lots. I am ready to move on and to learn more skills!
4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and your contributions to GM!

Get place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 July 2018
I think it's a great place to work, but why is it so hard to get full time? I have a friend who has been working there a long time and busts their butt but haven't been offered full time yet. How long does it take?
Cons
so long to get full time
8 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON26 July 2018
Working at general motors was difficult, but it paid for the life I have now. I made great friends while working there that I am still friends with today. It was a great job.
8 August 2018

Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for sharing your experience!

It is a really good company to work with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 July 2018
It is just quite far. It is in Oshawa.

If you are a yong professional, you need to think whether you can work in a union company. Also, the average age employee is over 40
8 August 2018

Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for telling us about your experience!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 July 2018
I've worked here for a better part of 2 years and it's been a great experience so far. There is great work/life balance and the people genuinely care for one another. The culture if filled with people who are passionate, open and collaborate well together. I also appreciate the focus the company has on innovation - there is always something new happening - whether it is Maven, Autonomous development, electric vehicles or new offices in Markham and Toronto - there is lots happening to keep me motivated.
Pros
Great work/life balance, good pay/benefits, 3 weeks vacation + several extra long weekends + Christmas week shutdown, innovative culture, fun.
Cons
None.
16 July 2018

We couldn't agree more! Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for telling us about your experience.

Uncertainty
Electrical/Controls Designer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2018
The pay is ok, contract work has no benefits. Short term contract. People are so afraid to lose their jobs, self job protection is the common culture. Very racist invirenment. Management is trying hard to hire more visible workers. But some workers still openly saying racist comments. There is a black engineer making the same mistakes as many white engineers did, but he got very bad comments behind his back. It was hard to listen to.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No sense of belonging. Nobody is really proud of what they are doing.
16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

One of the best companies anyone can work for
AVD Exterior Lighting Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, Mi6 July 2018
The best place to learn and grow
The support you receive is second to none
The compensation is amazing and the possibilities are endless
Easily the friendliest and most inviting place to work.
Your opinion matters and you'll always get a chance
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
location
16 July 2018

Want to know more about General Motors?

Ask a question
enjoyable work with supportive people
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON5 July 2018
Good place to work and good hours.I had the opporunity ot think creatively and put my ideas to work in practical applications.Fair compensation and vacation for average achievers. Fair benefits for those who are not new hires. Generally good people to work with.
Pros
Pays well. Low stress.
Cons
Hard on the body. Long work weeks. There is no improving at your job just do this job no more.

Good work environment
Temporary- Moist Sand (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 June 2018
I worked in Moist sand as a student and was given lots of hours and was treated great by everyone that i worked with which made time fly and made it easy to go into work everyday
16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback.

Good place to work team efforts
Inventory clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa13 June 2018
Multitask and accomplish deadlines ahead of schedule. Eye for detail in finding errors and correcting in time for financial reporting. Management is very good and thorough, Culture is open to suggestions and working together. Hardest part of job was training myself since previous employee had to leave quickly - medical reasons. Most enjoyable part was meeting the deadlines ahead of time in order to review. Interesting job where you expanded your knowledge and dealt with different countires.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Learning job myself
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Impala plant
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
I really enjoyed working at General motors because I was the alternate relief on my shift.Every night I would fill in for someone that was on holidays, or called in sick. That position allowed me to learn a lot of different job around the plant.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Was only hired as a temporary worker. Eventually laid off

Provided a good living
General Labour (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 June 2018
luckily I was all over in GM Oshawa....spent 10 years in the north plant , spent ten years in the truck plant, spent the last ten years in the car plant.
Pros
employee discounts on vehicles
Cons
repetition

Productive and fun place
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON29 May 2018
nice place to work. though there is no work-life balance, as seniors always burden you with extra work, however, the good part is you get to learn a lot. management is weak in few areas.
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback with us. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

Workplace
Part Time Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2018
The workplace is great and allows you to grow in the company. The job requires a lot of learning and hard work but that is part of any job requirement.
19 June 2018

offered full time employment with pension and benefits
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON24 May 2018
This company offered long-term, full time employment with pension and benefits and reasonable health and safety practices at a time when the country was experiencing a major recession. For this I am thankful for General Motors of Canada.
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

general motors
Forklift driver ,warehouse attendant (Former Employee) –  woodstock,ontario17 May 2018
picked full lifts of stock and replace live pickers with full lift when picking was done I unloaded trucks and put new stock away in reserve locations. when not on forklift I walk picked orders for dealers and shipped. good job no complaints
Pros
good money and benefits and clean work enviroment
Cons
swing shift
19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Enjoyable working environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2018
I was granted the opportunity to be a part of the first Summer Student Internship program at GM. I was assigned to a supervisor that I worked well with all summer long. I was introduced to an exciting, different work environment that I had never had before. Over the course of my work term, I met with other student interns and had only heard amazing things at the company.
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and for letting us know about your experience! We're glad you enjoyed your time here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2