General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 322 reviews matching the search See all 6,322 reviews
Poisonous environment
PSG/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON1 November 2018
Terrible management, this place doesn't know the meaning of communication. Production line is all about numbers and if you drop dead on the line as long as it wasn't a safety issue they pull you off and start the line back up again. Absolutely heartless company with no room to grow. It's a union shop so the people who bust their butts cover the ones that don't and there is no problem with that as management sees. Only good thing is the weekly paycheck and some of the people you work alongside with. Most though, hate their lives and are very bitter. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Bad hours, no room to advance
Managerial Accountant (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON19 October 2018
Good place to work and good hours.I had the opporunity ot think creatively and put my ideas to work in practical applications.Fair compensation and vacation for average achievers. Fair benefits for those who are not new hires. Generally good people to work with.
very poor work enviroment
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2018
GMC was one of the worst places i could ever work in the short time i worked there there was alot of work harrassment and the management there was horrible i reported the harrassment to the HR and nothing was ever done
Quick mover in these days
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON26 September 2018
I guess they are no longer Government Motors and sluggish dinosaurus. The quality of products are better than a few years ago and prices are attractive.
Productive, interesting place to work
Line Worker - Parts Assembler (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 September 2018
This position requires organization and time management skills that have provided me with improved knowledge coordination of materials and systems management.

A typical workday requires me to be on my feet all day and work efficiently.

I enjoy learning new tasks and earning new certification for devleoped skills on each line. I enjoy working my part time hours at General Motors.
Benefits
Cons
Not enough shifts
Awesome company from top to bottom
Auction Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2018
Great management structure and a clear path to the future after the concerns in 2008. Great people and great culture. You just worked to get things done, and it was done by all employees
environnement agréable
Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 September 2018
Patrouille
CONTRÔLE d’accès
Rédiger des rapports journaliers
If you think pay solves all issues, think again
Many jobs, many titles (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON8 September 2018
lousy work environment, constant lying by management, ever increasing work load, dangerous atmosphere, needless harassment. Management wants to find fault.
Pros
Out of there now
Cons
everything
Work
Maintenance/Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 August 2018
Most members if management are pleasant and encouraging. The ones that aren't unfortunately ruin the whole feel of working for such a large cooperation.
4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

A good safe place to work
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON8 August 2018
Have been working there for 4 years now. A great and safe place to work. I have enjoyed my time and have learned lots. I am ready to move on and to learn more skills!
4 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback and your contributions to GM!

Get place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 July 2018
I think it's a great place to work, but why is it so hard to get full time? I have a friend who has been working there a long time and busts their butt but haven't been offered full time yet. How long does it take?
Cons
so long to get full time
8 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON26 July 2018
Working at general motors was difficult, but it paid for the life I have now. I made great friends while working there that I am still friends with today. It was a great job.
8 August 2018

Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for sharing your experience!

It is a really good company to work with
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 July 2018
It is just quite far. It is in Oshawa.

If you are a yong professional, you need to think whether you can work in a union company. Also, the average age employee is over 40
8 August 2018

Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for telling us about your experience!

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 July 2018
I've worked here for a better part of 2 years and it's been a great experience so far. There is great work/life balance and the people genuinely care for one another. The culture if filled with people who are passionate, open and collaborate well together. I also appreciate the focus the company has on innovation - there is always something new happening - whether it is Maven, Autonomous development, electric vehicles or new offices in Markham and Toronto - there is lots happening to keep me motivated.
Pros
Great work/life balance, good pay/benefits, 3 weeks vacation + several extra long weekends + Christmas week shutdown, innovative culture, fun.
Cons
None.
16 July 2018

We couldn't agree more! Thank you for all your contributions to GM and for telling us about your experience.

Uncertainty
Electrical/Controls Designer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON9 July 2018
The pay is ok, contract work has no benefits. Short term contract. People are so afraid to lose their jobs, self job protection is the common culture. Very racist invirenment. Management is trying hard to hire more visible workers. But some workers still openly saying racist comments. There is a black engineer making the same mistakes as many white engineers did, but he got very bad comments behind his back. It was hard to listen to.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
No sense of belonging. Nobody is really proud of what they are doing.
16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We read each of our reviews and take them seriously.

One of the best companies anyone can work for
AVD Exterior Lighting Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, Mi6 July 2018
The best place to learn and grow
The support you receive is second to none
The compensation is amazing and the possibilities are endless
Easily the friendliest and most inviting place to work.
Your opinion matters and you'll always get a chance
Pros
Too many to mention
Cons
location
16 July 2018

enjoyable work with supportive people
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON5 July 2018
Pros
Pays well. Low stress.
Cons
Hard on the body. Long work weeks. There is no improving at your job just do this job no more.

Good work environment
Temporary- Moist Sand (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 June 2018
I worked in Moist sand as a student and was given lots of hours and was treated great by everyone that i worked with which made time fly and made it easy to go into work everyday
16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback.

Good place to work team efforts
Inventory clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa13 June 2018
Multitask and accomplish deadlines ahead of schedule. Eye for detail in finding errors and correcting in time for financial reporting. Management is very good and thorough, Culture is open to suggestions and working together. Hardest part of job was training myself since previous employee had to leave quickly - medical reasons. Most enjoyable part was meeting the deadlines ahead of time in order to review. Interesting job where you expanded your knowledge and dealt with different countires.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
Learning job myself
19 June 2018

Thank you for your contributions to GM and taking the time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback!

Impala plant
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
I really enjoyed working at General motors because I was the alternate relief on my shift.Every night I would fill in for someone that was on holidays, or called in sick. That position allowed me to learn a lot of different job around the plant.
Pros
Interesting place to work
Cons
Was only hired as a temporary worker. Eventually laid off
19 June 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2