General Electric Employee Reviews

give give give until your sick..
Methods Engineering DC Drives and Renewal Parts (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 August 2018
The company protocol is to make as much money as board of directors can handle. There is a culture of little empires and their dictators.
In 2017, after 127 years GE closed my plant. The company is ignoring every agreement with the unions because they are labelling the plant close as a reduced production.
Pros
Some departments have great epre de corp.
Cons
if you work until you have a breakdown, they screw you over and replace you.
I learned a lot working here, Good work environment.
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON11 May 2018
I worked on Solar Inverter panels and Wind Hubs at GE.
I learned a lot while working here. I learned how to read and interpret blueprints and how to use a large assortment of tools.
This was my first job that I made over $20/hr.
Unfortunately I and everyone else in my group was laid off, due to lack of work.
If I hadn't been laid off, I would probably still be working there.
soley by Quebec
Travel tech (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 May 2018
Could be a good place to work IF they didnt favour the French over English just because not because the French can do the job better its just the way it is.
GE also is one of the lowest paying companies in Canada expect you to solve your own problem with Zero help from upper management.
English speaking tech $27/hr
French speaking tech $35/hr
English tech also has way more experience lol
Pros
Free water
Cons
French run company
Good Wage
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON22 April 2018
It is your typical Factor, good wage, some good management, Easy work. Great co workers, lots of different jobs with in the plant. Easy to learn, Shift work
Pros
overtime anything over 40 hours
Production of custom large motor for nuclear, oil & gas and mining industry.
Fitter/assembler/wiring/pipe fitter (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 April 2018
I have enjoyed my 13 years at General Electric Peterborough, all motors being custom built, I have learned something new every day. Plant closure in September 2018 has allowed me to move on and apply my skills to another company or industry as to which I look forward to.
The employees and management have been great, very fun, accommodating and extremely helpful over the past 13 years.
Bonne condition de travail mais aucune sécurité d’emploi
Quelqu un qui travaille pour eu (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 April 2018
Grace à un environnement syndiqué vous aurez de bon avantage sociaux et un bon salaire mais vous serai congédié au moindre manque d’emploi qui sont fréquents dû a une mauvaise gestion de la production.
Great place to learn & grow as a leader
Global HR leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2018
Super smart, passionate colleagues. Leaders who inspire, challenge, support you. Assignments that take you out of your comfort zone to help you learn & grow. Overall a great place to work
Great company in a tough sector
Software developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 March 2018
I had a great experience working at GE. The projects were interesting and the management was very professional. I was never asked to put in any unpaid overtime. I learned a lot of web development skills. Unfortunately GE is not currently hiring full-time workers due to market instability.
Pros
Highly professional with a good work/life balance.
Cons
Difficult market in the energy sector compromises job security.
GE Transportation
Material Specialist (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam BC24 March 2018
Great place to work,
typical day at work consists of shipping and receiving parts in a timely manner.
Dealing with customers in a high paced environment.
Trés bien
Technicien montage (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 March 2018
Bonne expérience. locaux très propre. personnel très sympa.

Want to know more about General Electric?

Ask a question
Manufacturing facility
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 March 2018
GE Peterborough was, at one time, a terrific place of employment. Unfortunately after more then 100 years of manufacturing, the factory is closing. Management is chaotic and disorganized. The employees for the most part, are amazing and work well together. It was a great environment to learn new skills and there was opportunities to change jobs internally to expand your skill set.
A typical day at GE involves arriving at the facility, checking in with your fellow employee from the previous shift to find out what is on shift agenda, organizing your day and then proceeding with your workday. At any moment a new "more important" job can displace any project you may be working on so learning flexibility is a must.
Training programs at the plant were unfortunately, mostly a result of trying to catch up to government regulations but were generally top notch.
All in all, I love what I do in my daily crane operations. Because Peterborough is a custom shop, every job presents a new challenge in calculating lift hardware, angles and safety.
Working in the nuclear division was a whole different angle, dealing with a spotless, climate controlled environment that requires exemplary attention to detail. My history of troubleshooting, metrics and mechanical abilities were challenged in a workplace where perfection is the required norm because of the nature of the business.
Both sides of the facility run on variable shifts like most manufacturing.
Pros
dynamic ever changing environment
Cons
low moral due to plant closing and distrust of management
Peterborough Plant Closing September 2018
Shift floor Lead Hand, Manufacturing Trainer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON19 February 2018
Very busy work environment, dealing with uneducated, unqualified, unprofessional upper Management is certainly 80% of the daily demise of all workers at this facility. Moral is extremely low, production and quality control issues are #1, safety and job security are at the bottom of the priority list. The Plant is closing for Business September 2018 due to market changes, and gross negligence as well as severe mismanagement from the Chief Operations Manager whom has a law suit in US for misleading past, and future shareholders.
Pros
Great pay scale
Cons
Closing business
travail agréable
inspection final (Former Employee) –  Québec, QC23 May 2013
belle invironnement ,travail contractuel ,beau salaire,belle expérience
Pros
bonus tout les 3 mois
Cons
contract
travaux polyvalent
journalier (Former Employee) –  Beloeil, QC5 January 2013
consiste à la fabrication de bobine pour les centrale hydroélectrique
travail temporaire à contrat
bien administrer
belle équipe et ambiance de travail
travaux polyvalent
aucun aspect difficile pour ma part
Pros
belle ambiance de travail et belle équipe
Cons
emploi temporaire
Equipe gagnante
Ingénieur manufacturier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 September 2012
Culture de performance et reconnaissance de la productivité
Very nice training for a beginner
CONTRACT ADMINISTRATOR / SALES OF PARTS (Former Employee) –  Lachine, QC30 July 2012
This was my first job after I graduated as industrial engineer. Very good opportunities to learn very interesting products like

-major appliances
-pulp and paper machinery
-hydraulic turbines
-hot and cold steel mils
-gears
Pros
very good training