GEM Health Care Employee Reviews

Fun and nice
Support staff (Former Employee) –  New Market, ON4 February 2019
Good place to start up your career, and why not your hard work will earn you a place to grow at gem.It is a nice place and the staff are very helpful and collaborating to get the work done.
Pros
No free lunch
Cons
Not bad hours
Kind employees in a helpful workplace
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2019
My day-to-day was never the same. At the beginning of the week, I would process payrolls. At the end of the week, I would do the payroll liabilities. I learned how to handle work pressure. Everyone was kind and helpful.
productive
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 January 2019
not so challenging but always busy on the job, I mostly worked nights or over nights which were more calm then the day. I enjoyed working here fulfilling the needs of the patients.
Relaxed environment. Friendly management
Overnight Cleaner/ PSW assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ON4 August 2018
The management at GEM healthcare services is friendly. At GEM you don't actually work at the GEM office, you are deployed to assisted living homes where you work.
Great commitment
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 July 2018
Great staff and faithful to accommodate your needs. From the day I started they have giving me many opportunity to work in steady places. Satisfactory.
Pros
Lots of jobs
Cons
Can be far
Terrible management & lots of bullying.
CCA (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS17 July 2018
A lot of bullying both from management and the other staff. You can tell a lot of the staff didn't enjoy their job - it made it hard for anyone else to enjoy their work as well.
Strong and productive
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON4 July 2018
Working environment was peacefully,enjoyable, management appreciate and respect staff member working for them. Management work along with staff update
work experience
Personal Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2017
It was my favoret place to work. I found that the clients were so nice. Work to day is ok . Sometimes i found it good. At the last part of my work was not enough work. Due to change in the health sector.
Stable work
sitter, home support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 July 2017
Provided a good stable client and supported me well during my tenure there. I was not qualified at the time but they provided duties that were within my job as a sitter.
Pros
Good support
Cons
None, I became more qualified and moved on
Type of work is rewarding.
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 May 2017
I have no further review at this time. I have worked here for 7 years and enjoy the facility. I have worked through all aspects of nursing here and have felt supported in my positions. The staff are wonderful and the residents are amazing.
Great place to work...
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  newmarket ontario28 April 2017
Busy, face paced fun environment.GEM realizes that from housekeeping to administering medication, our staff is both the foundation and the face of our business. GEM knows that their staff are individuals who make them who they are, so they focus on hiring those who complement their mission best.
Productive and and exciting
Care Officer (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ON27 April 2017
Typically the work-place is exciting and conducive to upgrade one self. It allows for one to develop his/her ability in the work environment. However, there is room for improvement.
Management have no respect, trust or empathy for employees!!
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 April 2017
Residents are lovely and staff are excellent. However management treat staff like they are beneath them. The old Do as I say not as I do. Management uses intimidation and threats when dealing with situations .They are micro managers and obviously their jobs are more important then the residents. Management lie to suit their own needs. Halifax Gem managers are the worst. Unless your desperate I would stay clear.
Pros
Great caring staff
Run!
Nursing dept (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 April 2017
Horrible place to work. Management does not know how to run a business and uses intimidation tactics on staff instead of speaking/treating them like real people. The union is also a joke. You have no one on your side to fight for you.
Pros
Good staff and residents
Cons
Everything else.
Prime example of of an organization that does not value its employees
Nursing staff (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 December 2016
Toxic environment. Very high nursing staff turnover for a reason. Was blocked on several occasions from doing my job because I had to ask permission to do something well in my scope of practice. Rude management. Worst work experience next to a call center I worked at 15 years ago. Reminds me of the same environment. They like to remind staff they are always being watched.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Too many to list. Please see below
A horribly run nightmare from floor to ceiling
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2016
This is the perfect company to work for if you want to lose your nursing license, or stagnate your career. Do yourself a favor and stay away. Horrible corporate culture, inept management, atrocious business practices, the list goes on.
Pros
Nothing comes to mind
Cons
See review
prodctive workplace
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON17 March 2016
You're never doing dong the same thing everyday which is nice work doesn't get boring, always meeting new people and working with different people.

Management is respectful and easy to get along with.

It can be hard gong into new facilities not knowing the daily routines most people are pretty helpful though.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
no schedule, non reliable hours of work
You never get shifts from them
Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 February 2016
Do not even think about working for this agency. I was hired on December 9, 2015 and haven't got any shifts for months. Don't even bother to ask them for shifts; the only answer you will get from the coordinator is "just be patient and wait for our phone call; if we have shifts for you, we will definitely let you know"...
Pros
Cons
All other things
short employment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 October 2015
Same review as the job posted above but much less hours so the employment was short due to that problem. I watched clients who were diagnosed with mental issues, cleaning, cooking, etc
Good place to start working in nursing profession as PSW or RPN
RPN /PSW (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 April 2015
Gem Health Care Services is a good agency to start working in a nursing profession. you need to travel long distances to visit the clients. there are very few and rare shifts for RPNs.
Pros
polite and ethical Management.
Cons
Very casual RPN shifts, mostly PSW shifts.