Gateway Mechanical Services Employee Reviews

not for the light hearted
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
it was a great place to work when i started now not so much. management doesn't seem to care about the field workers. you start a job and get no prints or idea of what happening unless you drag it out of the office. then you have industrial levels of safety in a commercial setting with no added time for all the paperwork. if your running a job you have next to no decision making abilities but all the liability from the decisions and time frames thought up by the pm's.
Pros
benefits are good, clothing allowance, and usually a truck or van
Cons
will go from lots of work to none without warning, most jobs are under hours in the first 2 weeks and somehow its the field workers fault, workers are seen as expendable and they know it, very low moral
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2018
So far so good... The company is well run and the staff is very friendly and happy to help. Management is approachable and will take the time to listen. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow.
Pros
Good benefits, RRSP matching
Cons
Nothing I can think of right now
Great place to work on lots of different equipment
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2018
Worked doing supermarket grocery store installs for 5 years, now with the service department. Learned how to install and fix lots of different equipment. A day on service can be anywhere from working on tube heaters, hvac maintenance to dealing with down racks on supermarkets. Can be hard at times trying to learn about different things but it’s a good place to work to keep the brain sharp.
Pros
Great techs and mentors
Cons
Unpredictable work weeks
Transition for new company
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 January 2018
This position was part time to assist the new company with the take over of business relations, inventory and accounting procedures.
I supplied the new owners with lists, procedures, documents and other necessary information.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Too short of a duration
Good company to work for with some great staff
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton23 October 2017
Good place to work, something different can happen each day because of the large customer base and the amount of services available to customers. Generally nice people to work with.
Pros
Majority of people, and services offered to customers
Cons
Can be disorganized
Good company to work for
Senior Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2017
They are currently undergoing technology upgrading and are working toward a better Gateway. The Company as a whole is working on coming together as One Team and will succeed as it pushes through this tough time.
Great Company
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 August 2017
Great vision, working toward technological advancements in the industry. Experienced Technicians and a wealth of knowledge in leadership and management. Working toward achieving great culture and profitability
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Productive and fun workplace environment
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
Gateway Mechanical mostly deals with HVAC and Refrigeration electrical.

I have gained a massive amount of knowledge in the electrical field while at Gateway.

The workplace culture is great! Very energetic group of workers that are always willing to lend a helping hand!
Benefits
Cons
Communication
good work life balance
Refrigeration Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 February 2017
Been at Gateway for 2.5 years love every minute working here is like having a second family. my boss is like a big brother and some journeymen. Its one job i actually enjoy waking up and going to work
Pros
very friendly staff
Cons
no free lunches
Great company!
current employee (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 November 2016
I’ve been with Gateway for almost a year and I really like working here! There is a seasonality to the business that makes it very busy at times. There have been some changes but I see them as opportunities for growth in my career. The people here are great and it’s a positive and engaged working environment…very customer focussed company!
Horrible Management
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2016
Worked for this company a few years back and like many other employees before me was bullied while management received huge compensation by taking credit for work done by their departments while blatantly putting down said departments.
Long hours and no appreciation
Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 August 2016
I worked at gateway for many years on the tools. It is honestly a great place to apprentice if you want to learn a lot and looking to make lots of money. However you will find that overtime the 50-80 hr weeks are not worth it anymore and that it is a single mans game. You will also get yelled for trying to get off early- aka a 8hr day. In my experience, you were just a number. A person in a van that makes them money. No work life balance. A lot of management issues. The techs you work with though are generally a good group of guys and are pretty knowledgeable.
Pros
Lots of experience
Cons
No family feel, long hours, management
It was personal
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Western Canada11 May 2016
Gateway has been one of the best places I've ever worked at over my career. If you are an apprentice HVAC/R mechanic, I would most definitely recommend working for this company. I feel you'd get an almost comprehensive exposure to the wide array of equipment we are exposed to in our field. Mobility is another great reason to work here. I've seen employees start in Calgary, work for a month, then get transferred to the island for the remainder of their career. With shops from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island, there are many locations to chose from. There is a really great safety culture, and a forward approach to the reality of the world we live in today. It wasn't always that way, but the company has changed with the times and continues to progress. It is easily a place where someone could stay for an entire career, or just for a few years to gain some really great experiences.
Pros
Wide exposure
Cons
Easy to get too comfortable
Be wise and keep looking elsewhere
Refrigeration Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2016
Before I took the job I was told by many people that knew Gateway Mechanical that it would be wise to pass on this job but I was trying to remain optimistic and hoped they would be wrong about Gateway. Sure enough they were right and I was wrong. Management is surely a joke and dispatch is nothing but complete drama and a lot of back stabbing going on. They say to do something so you do it but next thing you know your getting in trouble for doing exactly what they said to do. But...if you do decide to take the job...whatever you do, just don't ask too many questions...they say to ask a lot of questions so you learn how Gateway does things but trust me, don't ask questions it'll bite you in the rear in the end because they will say you don't know anything...good luck
Pros
Union Job
Cons
Back stabbers
Lack of leadership
trades (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2016
This place started nicely but as time went on it became more dysfunctional. They try to smile and nod but they just wandered away instead of dealing with issues. There is no room to grow.
Pros
Building had heat and working bathrooms
Cons
If you like no leadership - this is the place to be.
Productive and fast paced environment
Senior Billing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2015
Productive work place with supportive management.
Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Good company
Financial Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary24 May 2015
Great people super nice and friendly staff . They make you feel right at home. I would love to work again there. Nice place to work.
Pros
Great Managemnet
good trades enviroment
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK9 April 2015
gateway is a good, fast paced place to work where there is ample opportunity to learn a new skill set that may be able to help furthur advance your carreer.
Work environment
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2015
Not fun, good experienced co-workers, you were over worked and under paid , and dismissed if you knew too much. Boring, no challenge.
Pros
Cons
over worked and under paid.
good company
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2015
great place to work as well,
ESC had alot more to teach me, but gateway had some interesting jobs. great journeman i worked with, excellent crew

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Mechanical Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Gateway Mechanical Services Reviews by Location