Gateway Mechanical Services

Gateway Mechanical Services Employee Reviews

Canada40 reviews
Faceless
I had a terrific interview with an awesome immediate supervisor. Built a career over 6 years watching as technicians (the only income stream) were marginalized and blamed for office errors. Never seen anyone in sales held to account for poor decisions and lack of effort. Eventually laid off because 3 customers I'd passed to sales as dissatisfied left. They'll lose your work.. then l
Poor management/ poor culture and environment
Worst environment to work for, management and supervisors do not know how manage or train their employees well. definitely is not a "one team" culture. Management can not handle the heat when you tell them you found a mistake they have done. Management/supervisors have their favourites. Too much change occurs in a short amount of time. Not enough praise goes on from management when accomplishing a goal. Would not recommend this place.
Welcoming and Friendly environment
The company is run by such kind gentlemen that you always feel respected, safe, understood, and free to ask anything!

Would recommend to everyone, including technicians in the HVAC trade!
Family Business
Great company to work with, a lot of tenured team members and low rollover. They are a growing company that need help streamlining and cutting some areas where money is lost. Treat the team well. Overall great place to work.
Poor management
The Management in the beginning was not bad good people, but when she got fire the new manager was a person who likes to have her favourites person, she is rascist and she doesn’t have any work ethic and because of her I got lay off.
great place to work and learn. and they have popcorn day every Friday.
Very good place to work.
you can and will learn a lot here.

lots of incentives, job grants,health benefits.

And payday is every week and every Friday is POPCORN day..lol
Poor work culture.
Poor work culture, management promotes bad culture. Management only pretends to care about safety. Office is a toxic environment with high turnover. Highly disorganized leading technician to be embarrassed in front of customers. I hope my customers find a better company to deal with, someone who will not take advantage of them.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Safety takes backseat to profits, excessive greed. Disorganized disaster.
Just Don't, Toxic work environment
The toxic environment comes down to their values and company policy not lining up. They say they value teamwork but then break apart teams and their communication so it became a everyone for themselves environment. They don't take unprofessional behavior and complaints seriously. They allow these problem employees and managers to continue to contribute to the toxicity.
Employee Focused, Privately Owned Business
Gateway is an organization that strives for nurturing its employees on one front, and for growing nationally on the other front. What I have learned about them is that they do genuinely care about their employees, and that they're unusually transparent for a privately held company. In my short engagement with Gateway as a contractor, I noticed that they encourage learning and promote staff that earn certifications or degrees, adjusting their compensation accordingly.
Pros
Family culture, transparency, employee support, health and safety standards
Always changing
One constant is the ever changing landscape. From top to bottom there have been more personnel changes in the recent past than in any other company I've worked for.
Never ending changes
Great company until they hired managers from the oil & gas industry that were laid off in the crash, these employees brought a lack of experience and understanding of the industry and had no respect for the employees.
Educational Environment, You live for the weekend
Very long hours with this company, never know what time you'll be home Monday-Friday. Good environment if you're a workaholic willing to learn. CEO is a good guy.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not a good life work balance
Office vs Field
There was a real disconnect between the office and the field staff. The PM's and Construction Manager were not kind. . From my understanding those people don't work there anymore. To little to late for me. I had to quit after being treated so poorly for so long.
Pros
Company Vehicle
Cons
Managers
Lack of respect
It used to be a really great place to work, management changes in our Edmonton office forced a lot of the good people to leave. There suddenly became a place where the was no support in the engineering department do to lact of respect.
Pros
It was a good place for comrodary
Cons
Lact of support
A lot of office negativity but good place to work.
There as a lot of communication lacking here. Despite efforts of some Management the office environment was pretty negative. Very disorganized company but beautiful office and a few genuine people to work with. Lots of opportunities to learn.
Pros
Good experience.
Cons
Bad atmosphere.
Official response from Gateway Mechanical Services
15 May 2018
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and the negative atmosphere you described. This is a major concern for us as we strive to create a positive work environment for all our employees.

We’re currently working on improving employee engagement as well as the overall work environment so we appreciate your feedback and hope to make lasting improvements in the near future.

I’d like to invite you to contact me so we can learn more about your experience and help us improve. Please email Aurora Halldorson at careers@gatewaymechanical.ca or call 1.800.414.4929
not for the light hearted
it was a great place to work when i started now not so much. management doesn't seem to care about the field workers. you start a job and get no prints or idea of what happening unless you drag it out of the office. then you have industrial levels of safety in a commercial setting with no added time for all the paperwork. if your running a job you have next to no decision making abilities but all the liability from the decisions and time frames thought up by the pm's.
Pros
benefits are good, clothing allowance, and usually a truck or van
Cons
will go from lots of work to none without warning, most jobs are under hours in the first 2 weeks and somehow its the field workers fault, workers are seen as expendable and they know it, very low moral
So far so good... The company is well run and the staff is very friendly and happy to help. Management is approachable and will take the time to listen. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow.
Pros
Good benefits, RRSP matching
Cons
Nothing I can think of right now
Great place to work on lots of different equipment
Worked doing supermarket grocery store installs for 5 years, now with the service department. Learned how to install and fix lots of different equipment. A day on service can be anywhere from working on tube heaters, hvac maintenance to dealing with down racks on supermarkets. Can be hard at times trying to learn about different things but it’s a good place to work to keep the brain sharp.
Pros
Great techs and mentors
Cons
Unpredictable work weeks
Transition for new company
This position was part time to assist the new company with the take over of business relations, inventory and accounting procedures.
I supplied the new owners with lists, procedures, documents and other necessary information.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Too short of a duration
Good company to work for with some great staff
Good place to work, something different can happen each day because of the large customer base and the amount of services available to customers. Generally nice people to work with.
Pros
Majority of people, and services offered to customers
Cons
Can be disorganized
Good company to work for
They are currently undergoing technology upgrading and are working toward a better Gateway. The Company as a whole is working on coming together as One Team and will succeed as it pushes through this tough time.