Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.

Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Management reviews

Canada182 reviews
Featured review
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. selected this as a representative review
Most properties are unionized, so the wages are higher than you would find in typical restaurants. Even for servers/bartenders, there are annual raises above the standard minimum wage raises. They also provide medical and dental benefits to all employees working 30+ hours per week, as well as paid vacation days, paid sick days, and paid breaks. The restaurant staff in Gateway properties actually get breaks (unheard of for F&B), and the kitchen staff all get 1 complimentary daily meal per shift. Seniority is a big thing here, with the most senior staff having set schedules, and the less senior staff being scheduled based off of their stated availability which they can adjust every 6 months (unless they're a student, and then this can be changed every semester). Hours are flexible, and management is accommodating of requested days off, within reason. There are some poor performing employees who would have been fired long ago if they weren't protected by the union, which is a shame, but there are some great employees as well.
Pros
Medical & Dental Benefits; Paid Holidays; Work Life Balance; Set Schedules
Cons
Union
I worked with OLG before it went to Gateway. Under OLG it was a fun place to work, the atmosphere was great and we made a decent wage. When Gateway took over everyone was stressed out cause no-one knew if they would have a job the next day and just the way they ran things. They ran the place with the smallest amount of staff they could, you would go over above and beyond for them and they would turn around and treat you like garbage in return. They offered people that have been there since the place was opened buyout packages and generally treated people with little to no respect. They offered some people to come back but would come back as part-time, lower wage and no benefits. You can tell that they only cared about making a profit and not a care in the world for the employee. They took what was an awesome work environment and turned it into a very toxic one. My fellow co-workers were the best part of this job!
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
They don't treat the employees with respect
There was some very strict regulation of proper work procedures,
continual updates on latest work related information

some miss communication between upper management between and frontline workers.
I worked for this company in their restaurant, Match Eatery and Public House, as a waitress. Serving in a casino sports bar was intense, and although they gave plenty of training and took me in with no serving experience whatsoever, you have to be mentally prepared to multitask every day, handle stressful work environments and be able to communicate effectively with your coworkers. I learned so much during my time there, from maintaining a professional outlook even if I had just handled multiple complaints, serving basics 101, how to use their electronic system to punch in orders, casino etiquette and what is expected/required of you and guests in a gambling facility, and so much more.
I would not recommend this job as a first time job as it definitely required some forms of customer service and stress management beforehand!! But, if you are looking to make amazing tips while serving and create a fun night life environment while maintaining the rules and regulations of the casino, I would recommend!
Pros
Large tips, plenty of hours
Cons
stressful, management fluctuates all the time
This is a horrible place to work, the work culture is toxic and the Management Poor. You are just a # replaceable by another # that makes less. There are better places to work.
If you can find employment anywhere else, take it. This is a last resort workplace.
You will experience stress. If you want to help people be better, stand out front and encourage people to not go in.

Lacking in:

Consistency

Training

Positive messaging

Longevity

Professionalism.
They allowed Bullying to happen to me for a solid year. Management fired 50+ of its Loyal employees in the last year and it’s all over the news. They have a Huge debt and expect their Employees to make up for all of it while cutting down their benefits and giving them minimum wage. Be careful of the Hr department they work for the devil I think. Pick any other casino to work at, not GV or Starlight!
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Gateway is a fast growing and energetic company operating within a dynamic industry. We provide a competitive total compensation package, which includes benefits, employee discounts and many growth opportunities across Canada. As with all businesses, we do appreciate cost saving initiatives, but our top priority is ensuring an exceptional customer and employee experience. If you have any suggestions on how we can continue to improve in this area, please feel free to reach out to the Corporate HR team at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
I worked at cascades in Kamloops. Let me tell you. This was an awful experience and I still have anxiety attacks from it. There was one manager in particular who bullied me NON STOP. Online, offline, any chance she could get. Spread the nastiest rumours about me. I went to HR, was clear HR was on her side. I was crying almost every single day because I was in so much pain because of her. She is an awful person and this is an awful company to condone this.
24 February 2020
Thank you for your honest review - we apologize that your experience was not a more positive one. We hold our leadership team to a high standard and are constantly looking for ways to continue their growth and development in order to ensure motivated, engaged and productive teams. If you'd like to further discuss your experience with our Corporate HR team, please feel free to reach out at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Since taking over casino operations in May 2017 Gateway has single-handedly destroyed the fun casino environment. OLG was not the most intelligent management when it came to running the Ontario casinos but they look like geniuses compared to Gateway. The Gateway management team are dis-respectful, dishonest, uneducated morons. Every department is now understaffed, dis-organized and poorly run. It is a complete gong-show operation. No loyalty to any long term employee at all. They simply want nothing more than part-time minimum wage employee's.
11 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your honest review. We take the opinions of our employees, both current and former, into consideration when developing programs and making adjustments to operations. We have recently launched a new Corporate recognition program to ensure our employees are celebrated for their hard work, dedication and years of service. We have also been developing many leadership training programs designed to best prepare our managers for their difficult roles. We are looking forward to offering more opportunities for growth and learning as we continue to expand across the country, and are confident that our teams will continue to excel. If you would like to share any recommendations with our team as they constantly search for ways to improve our employment experience, please feel free to reach out at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Not ideal workplace for anyone. Company only cares about profits. Even in its post profitable year ever, they laid off and terminated dozens of employees. Minimized other jobs . Look else where for reliable employment.
11 February 2020
We are sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to the standards we strive for in our employment experiences. Our employees are a top priority as we know that their contributions and exceptional service are what make Gateway successful. While the seasonality of our business does sometimes affect us, and we do understand the impact that difficult business decisions have on our employees, overall we are a constantly growing company with many opportunities across the country. As we continue to look for opportunities to continuously improve our employee experience, we invite you to share any suggestions with our team at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
The majors problems are twofold. One has the potential for an effective solution, the other will require a radical upheaval.

Management. Gateway notoriously underpays supervisors and offers very little to enhance skills. Talented people do not usually stay for long.
Only those with limited management education are willing to accept the dollar above minimum wage salary. This approach of "just about good enough" hinders the quality of managers/leadership and is observed by patrons regularly.

Unionized environment. The union is as useful as a rotary dial phone. A majority of the long term workers will gleefully educate any listener "..the only reason I stay here is because the union protects my hours.."

The result of the position being guaranteed is one of apathy and arrogance. There is no incentive for team members to achieve excellence nor support each other.

For both reasons, the customers ultimately pay the price for an astonishing lack of customer care.

Leadership requires a major shake up, for better and for worse. Screen out those whom lack passion and prefer rest on their laurels.

Increase the base salary to attract better qualified people.

Raise the standard of internal training to continually refresh customer/people skills and management styles.

Dissolve the union. Start from scratch. Cherry pick those whose talent and passion separate the sheep from the goat.

Train those members to be solution oriented and continue higher training, should they demonstrate management potential.

Ultimately, these two items deeply impact the customers'
 - more...
13 January 2020
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave this detailed review and will be sharing it with our team to ensure your suggestions are heard. Our training team has been working hard to develop some outstanding leadership, new hire and customer service training opportunities to help all of our employees excel in their careers. We also offer a significant number of perks, employee discounts and benefits to accompany our competitive wages within each local market.
By far THE worst place I have ever worked. Upper management treats everyone with complete disrespect. I would not recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Countless
30 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate and value your input as a former manager. While we are sorry that your experience did not meet expectations, we are constantly looking at ways to make positive changes across our company. We have been working earnestly to provide additional training and development opportunities, particularly at a management level as we understand the difficulties and stress that can come with this type of role, in order to create the best possible leadership team. If you have any specific recommendations on how we can best address your concerns for future employees, please feel free to let us know by emailing employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
if i could give them a half star i would, even no star!!

by far the worst place i have worked or anyone has worked, they treat their staff like garbage , over work them, underpay them, under appreciate them.
they way they run things there is absolutely disgusting. someone needs to shut that place down or find a way to de-corrupt that awful place.... don't work there. unless you're ready to let your soul die and all the happiness wash away.
30 December 2019
We are sorry to hear that your experience with Gateway did not meet your expectations, but appreciate the feedback. This is certainly not what we expect as we strive to always provide exceptional experiences. We are continually looking for ways to improve our employee experience and be the best employer possible, so we will be sharing your concerns with our team in hopes of addressing them better in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything specific you recommend, by emailing us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Manger super micromanaged you. Second in command was trying to fire the people that was not "his" vision of the company. Any complaints to the manager and the manager took the Seconds side in ALL. Finally the second turned on the manager and got him fired. So now the second is the manager of the security department. Surveillance is there not to watch the gamblers but to watch the employees for wrong doing. Surveillance is used to find even the slightest fireable offence against their employees. Does their best to screw their employees in contract negotiations. Horrible place to work.
23 December 2019
We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and are sorry to hear that you did not experience the great leadership skills that we strive for at Gateway. We are committed to ensuring many training and development for our teams, especially our leaders, and are continuously working on training programs to best prepare new leaders for their difficult roles. If you'd like to further discuss your experience, feel free to reach out to us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
do not work here. it will kill you.
mentally, physically and emotionally, this company is horrific.

management is absolutely the worst I have ever seen in this industry
they use and abuse the staff.
Management has no clue how to lead or motivate their staff. they threaten the staff with their jobs if they are 2mins late or if they call out for an emergency

you can have no life outside of the casino.

there is no room for movement within the company. get used to being used if you work there.

you can't get days off or the vacation you actually need or want.

you have no input on business.

all you are is a caged monkey.
9 December 2019
We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and apologize that you did not have the fun, engaging employment experience that we strive for at Gateway. We are working hard to offer many additional growth, learning and development opportunities at all levels of the organization, and the strength of our leadership team is a top priority as we continue our growth. We would be happy to speak with you about your experience and any improvements we can make to further enhance the Gateway experience. Please feel free to contact us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Good overall work environment. Management vey patient and helpful.
Co workers friendly and helpful.

Staff lounge awesome.

Customers for the most part ver friendly.
2 December 2019
Thanks for taking the time to leave such a positive review! We are so glad that your time at Gateway was the positive, fun, and teamwork-oriented experience that we pride ourselves on.
They came in dumped millions into changing the old casino... then they turned around and just trimmed the fat. They hold no value in their employees and that is evident in their now high turnover rate. A place where people put over 20 years in is full of new people that are lucky to last 20 days.
18 November 2019
We appreciate you expressing your frustration with your experience. We have had many successes since reopening Starlight Point Edward, thanks to our awesome team of both long-term and new employees. Employees are our #1 asset and we put a lot of effort into recognizing their hard work; we are currently in the process of adding even more great recognition pieces across the company. If you have any other feedback on how we could continue to improve our employment experience, please feel free to email us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Bad culture would not recommend
Staff is rude
Customers are touchy

Floor is too hot

Nothing is free food wise

Bad environment for sure

Security is a joke
13 November 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We work very hard to ensure we are providing an exceptional environment for both our customers and our employees, so we are sorry to hear we did not meet expectations in your case. We would be happy to further discuss the specifics with you, should you wish, in an effort to make improvements for current and future team members. Please feel free to reach out to us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com
Excellent place to work. I will provide 10/10 rating. I am very satisfied with my department. Management is good and will support with work. Will provide sufficient training.
13 November 2019
Thank you for the great review! We pride ourselves on providing great training and development opportunities for our employees. Hope to see your career continue to grow with Gateway.
It was My first job in Canada. As a new commer...Casino Job was very helpful and take caring the staffs and very helpful staffs and Management....
Chef were cooperative ...
28 October 2019
Thank you for the great review! It's wonderful to hear that your team at Starlight Edmonton were so helpful, caring and welcoming to you. We pride ourselves on stellar teamwork!
minimum wages plus tips. tips are based on location. co-wokers and managements were very nice. just a bad place to work at for minimum wage. the BC government started to tax on tips when i worked there.
28 October 2019
Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad that your co-workers and management were easy to work with as we know that can often make work more fun! Tips are an excellent way to help employees earn some extra money, and while we do understand that these can sometimes vary, we know they play a big part in helping out financially. We are also proud of the many other employee perks that we offer, including a great benefits package, employee discounts, and growth opportunities to name a few.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8