Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.

Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Pay & benefits reviews: Security Officer

Security Officer19 reviews
Canada19 reviews
Featured review
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. selected this as a representative review
Most properties are unionized, so the wages are higher than you would find in typical restaurants. Even for servers/bartenders, there are annual raises above the standard minimum wage raises. They also provide medical and dental benefits to all employees working 30+ hours per week, as well as paid vacation days, paid sick days, and paid breaks. The restaurant staff in Gateway properties actually get breaks (unheard of for F&B), and the kitchen staff all get 1 complimentary daily meal per shift. Seniority is a big thing here, with the most senior staff having set schedules, and the less senior staff being scheduled based off of their stated availability which they can adjust every 6 months (unless they're a student, and then this can be changed every semester). Hours are flexible, and management is accommodating of requested days off, within reason. There are some poor performing employees who would have been fired long ago if they weren't protected by the union, which is a shame, but there are some great employees as well.
Pros
Medical & Dental Benefits; Paid Holidays; Work Life Balance; Set Schedules
Cons
Union
I worked with OLG before it went to Gateway. Under OLG it was a fun place to work, the atmosphere was great and we made a decent wage. When Gateway took over everyone was stressed out cause no-one knew if they would have a job the next day and just the way they ran things. They ran the place with the smallest amount of staff they could, you would go over above and beyond for them and they would turn around and treat you like garbage in return. They offered people that have been there since the place was opened buyout packages and generally treated people with little to no respect. They offered some people to come back but would come back as part-time, lower wage and no benefits. You can tell that they only cared about making a profit and not a care in the world for the employee. They took what was an awesome work environment and turned it into a very toxic one. My fellow co-workers were the best part of this job!
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
They don't treat the employees with respect
Security at a casino, minimum pay, hours suck, parking sucks (they used to make us walk from a hotel 5 mins away), overall a bad job really and not worth your time.
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
2 December 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We apologize that your experience working with Gateway was not a positive one. We work hard to ensure that our pay and additional benefits are competitive within the local market and that employees are able to manage their schedule to suit their lifestyles. As with any gaming or hospitality company, we do have to schedule weekends, evenings and overnights in order to accommodate our business.If you'd like to share any further suggestions or comments with us in an effort to assist with our continuous improvement, we welcome you to email us at employment@gatewaycasinos.com
Salary and benefits are good, some management are a little off, job security is not permanent it all depends on the business. Event nights are good very lively, fun, and are great.
Gateway is a terrible company to work for. Many full time employee's that have been here for 10+ years have been receiving buy-out packages and are being asked to re-apply for their jobs back. However, at a lower wage with no benefits and they have to start back out on the bottom of the totem pole again. No one's job is secure and everyone is on edge because of that. Many employee's that have also been here for 10+ years make the same wage as new hires meaning there are absolutely no incentives to stay. They currently make every department work understaffed while making employees work over 44+ hours each week WITHOUT overtime. They will make you work 3 different shifts (Days, Afternoons, Overnights) all within a span of 3 days with little to no time off. Therefore, getting time off is unheard of - even if you request time off they WILL NOT give it to you. They will also change your schedule multiple times with little to no notice. Even if you had time booked off - they do not care. Be prepared to work every single weekend as well, no matter how long you have been here for. To Gateway you are just a number, nothing else. They are not accommodating what so ever to fit a healthy work/life balance. All they care about is saving as much money as possible. Very toxic work environment, I would recommend to stay away. DO NOT get trapped here like many others, its not worth it. Only Pro to this company is the decent stating wage and other friendly employee relations.
Pros
Good wage, Employee relations
Cons
Everything else
I'm a current employee in Ontario and ever since Gateway took over OLG, employee morale has never been so low. This workplace feels so toxic and unenjoyable. The pay is good for how hard you actually work (very little, a lot of just standing around) the hardest part of my job is actually staying awake, it feels like you actually lose brain cells just twiddling your thumbs around. If your plan is to just use this place as a stepping stone to get into policing from security it is an ok place to work. But be careful so many of us have gotten trapped into the benefits and pay.
Management doesn't care about it's front line employees one bit. We run short constantly, Customer service has gone out the window.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
Extreme toxic environment, poor management