Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.

Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative5 reviews
Canada5 reviews
Featured review
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. selected this as a representative review
Most properties are unionized, so the wages are higher than you would find in typical restaurants. Even for servers/bartenders, there are annual raises above the standard minimum wage raises. They also provide medical and dental benefits to all employees working 30+ hours per week, as well as paid vacation days, paid sick days, and paid breaks. The restaurant staff in Gateway properties actually get breaks (unheard of for F&B), and the kitchen staff all get 1 complimentary daily meal per shift. Seniority is a big thing here, with the most senior staff having set schedules, and the less senior staff being scheduled based off of their stated availability which they can adjust every 6 months (unless they're a student, and then this can be changed every semester). Hours are flexible, and management is accommodating of requested days off, within reason. There are some poor performing employees who would have been fired long ago if they weren't protected by the union, which is a shame, but there are some great employees as well.
Pros
Medical & Dental Benefits; Paid Holidays; Work Life Balance; Set Schedules
Cons
Union
I worked at cascades in Kamloops. Let me tell you. This was an awful experience and I still have anxiety attacks from it. There was one manager in particular who bullied me NON STOP. Online, offline, any chance she could get. Spread the nastiest rumours about me. I went to HR, was clear HR was on her side. I was crying almost every single day because I was in so much pain because of her. She is an awful person and this is an awful company to condone this.
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
24 February 2020
Thank you for your honest review - we apologize that your experience was not a more positive one. We hold our leadership team to a high standard and are constantly looking for ways to continue their growth and development in order to ensure motivated, engaged and productive teams. If you'd like to further discuss your experience with our Corporate HR team, please feel free to reach out at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Since taking over casino operations in May 2017 Gateway has single-handedly destroyed the fun casino environment. OLG was not the most intelligent management when it came to running the Ontario casinos but they look like geniuses compared to Gateway. The Gateway management team are dis-respectful, dishonest, uneducated morons. Every department is now understaffed, dis-organized and poorly run. It is a complete gong-show operation. No loyalty to any long term employee at all. They simply want nothing more than part-time minimum wage employee's.
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
11 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your honest review. We take the opinions of our employees, both current and former, into consideration when developing programs and making adjustments to operations. We have recently launched a new Corporate recognition program to ensure our employees are celebrated for their hard work, dedication and years of service. We have also been developing many leadership training programs designed to best prepare our managers for their difficult roles. We are looking forward to offering more opportunities for growth and learning as we continue to expand across the country, and are confident that our teams will continue to excel. If you would like to share any recommendations with our team as they constantly search for ways to improve our employment experience, please feel free to reach out at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
Gateway Casinos. The saviour to rescue us from OLG(who we thought were bad employers but in hindsight were great compared to the new private owners). Gateway likes to brag about how many jobs they are adding in all of their renovations and new builds( Chatham and London) but never mention the good workers they bought out and the fulltimers who were told they were being let go or stay as part time with a probation period where they could fire you with no severance at all. Not much of a choice! Plus they spend no money on staff and run a bare bones facility where employees that remain have to do the work of three people all from different departments with the same pay though. Never see this mentioned in the news. Stay away!
Working at Gateway was a fun and exciting time. It was only for a 6 month contract, but it was a good 6 months. Gateway treats employees with equality.
I enjoyed the job itself, helping patrons, doing payouts, working with other ausome people, as well as getting to know the regulars. but the job itself asked for more than the pay, and provided no compensation. and no room for advancement and some of the crew was very clicky.
Pros
trouble shooting the games, doing payouts, working with the other fun people on the floor with you
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8