Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.

Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Employee Reviews for Casino Dealer

Casino Dealer11 reviews
Canada11 reviews
Featured review
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. selected this as a representative review
Most properties are unionized, so the wages are higher than you would find in typical restaurants. Even for servers/bartenders, there are annual raises above the standard minimum wage raises. They also provide medical and dental benefits to all employees working 30+ hours per week, as well as paid vacation days, paid sick days, and paid breaks. The restaurant staff in Gateway properties actually get breaks (unheard of for F&B), and the kitchen staff all get 1 complimentary daily meal per shift. Seniority is a big thing here, with the most senior staff having set schedules, and the less senior staff being scheduled based off of their stated availability which they can adjust every 6 months (unless they're a student, and then this can be changed every semester). Hours are flexible, and management is accommodating of requested days off, within reason. There are some poor performing employees who would have been fired long ago if they weren't protected by the union, which is a shame, but there are some great employees as well.
Pros
Medical & Dental Benefits; Paid Holidays; Work Life Balance; Set Schedules
Cons
Union
I would recommend this company to work for. The staff has the best crew. The company has a great benefit and pension package. The hours for part time could use a little work. The company shifts are not the best. I have been in this business for a long time. If you can’t work different shifts then this is not a job for you.
Pros
Benefits and pension
Cons
Shift work, weekend 24/7 open
I enjoyed working for gateway entertainment and casino. Very entertaining environment, employee training and tips. Union workers are kind. The hours where cut back due to the forecast. I'm not disappointed, I required change so I left.
Co workers were amazing and understanding. Need time off you book in advance by vacation hours you accumulate over working hours.

Customers are amazing for the most part since you are taking their money. There are a couple that get rude but you just tell your supervisors and 8/10 they get kicked from your table.
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
28 November 2019
Teamwork is really important at Gateway, so it's great to hear that your team worked well together! While gaming can sometimes be an emotionally-charged industry, we do find that most of our patrons are friendly, pleasant and just looking to have a fun time out when visiting us. Thank you for your time spent creating exceptional guest experiences.
minimum wages plus tips. tips are based on location. co-wokers and managements were very nice. just a bad place to work at for minimum wage. the BC government started to tax on tips when i worked there.
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
28 October 2019
Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad that your co-workers and management were easy to work with as we know that can often make work more fun! Tips are an excellent way to help employees earn some extra money, and while we do understand that these can sometimes vary, we know they play a big part in helping out financially. We are also proud of the many other employee perks that we offer, including a great benefits package, employee discounts, and growth opportunities to name a few.
Because I am working in this Casino only 3 months,but I can feel the staff are so nice ,everyone respect others,when we get in this Casino ,I can feel warm and care from others,I am like this place
Working here has taught me patience. Where else can you work 45 min and get a 15 min break ever hour. Pit bosses are quite helpful & the discounts and the restaurants help.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
If tables are quiet it gets boring
Working as a table games dealer at Lake City Casino was more than just a career. It was a hobby. I went to work every day to hang out with the regular players who also became my friends. I became friends with any personality type who sat down at my tables. Every day at work was fun.
Constantly solving math problems in my head at work kept my mentality fit and strong, I am now able to learn programming and computer science.

Unfortunately the management had a few members who made work difficult for many employees at my work place. After I left this job, the company went on strike which re-enforced that I was not the only one who was struggling with the management and salaries.

The CEO was great, and the GM was also very awesome. No problems there.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Working at Gateway was very memorable for me. I learned a lot, grew a lot as an individual and enjoyed my employment. Family illness had me relocate to another province so unfortunately i had to end my career.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
no cons
need benefits for at list upon hiring to 3 months provisionary periods. I need more hours, have to adjust the balnce of hours taking and giving to all employees...p
Pros
No benefits till 6 months
Cons
Few hours
I worked here for more than six years , one of the biggest Casino in Vancouver BC.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
24 hours in operations
Job consisted of standing for long periods either dealing cards or standing around at an empty table.
Pros
Good tips, was fun at start and to learn
Cons
Long Nights working with mostly upset people
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8