Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Employee Review

Good Pay & Good Benefits

12 August 2019
Most properties are unionized, so the wages are higher than you would find in typical restaurants. Even for servers/bartenders, there are annual raises above the standard minimum wage raises. They also provide medical and dental benefits to all employees working 30+ hours per week, as well as paid vacation days, paid sick days, and paid breaks. The restaurant staff in Gateway properties actually get breaks (unheard of for F&B), and the kitchen staff all get 1 complimentary daily meal per shift. Seniority is a big thing here, with the most senior staff having set schedules, and the less senior staff being scheduled based off of their stated availability which they can adjust every 6 months (unless they're a student, and then this can be changed every semester). Hours are flexible, and management is accommodating of requested days off, within reason. There are some poor performing employees who would have been fired long ago if they weren't protected by the union, which is a shame, but there are some great employees as well.
Pros
Medical & Dental Benefits; Paid Holidays; Work Life Balance; Set Schedules
Cons
Union
28 February 2020
Same role
Bartender (Former Employee) - Edmonton, AB
They allowed Bullying to happen to me for a solid year. Management fired 50+ of its Loyal employees in the last year and it’s all over the news. They have a Huge debt and expect their Employees to make up for all of it while cutting down their benefits and giving them minimum wage. Be careful of the Hr department they work for the devil I think. Pick any other casino to work at, not GV or Starlight!
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Gateway is a fast growing and energetic company operating within a dynamic industry. We provide a competitive total compensation package, which includes benefits, employee discounts and many growth opportunities across Canada. As with all businesses, we do appreciate cost saving initiatives, but our top priority is ensuring an exceptional customer and employee experience. If you have any suggestions on how we can continue to improve in this area, please feel free to reach out to the Corporate HR team at employment@gatewaycasinos.com.
12 January 2020
Same role
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) - Kelowna, BC
fast paced environment, lots of changes, entertainment, very busy with lots of employees. many different venues to work in. benefits provided if qualify
Official response from Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.
13 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The gaming and hospitality industry is fast-paced, dynamic and constantly evolving, making it exciting and energetic for our employees. We are constantly making changes to enhance the experience of both our guests and our employees and are growing quite quickly across the country, providing many opportunities to our team members.
16 March 2020
Same location
Relief server and dishwasher (Former Employee) - Vernon, BC
good place to work, nice people managment is great and will take the time to listen to you. free pop at work is also pretty sweet, great environment but bad hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8