Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Employee Reviews

Please dont apply here!!!!!!!!!!
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Point Edward, ON15 February 2019
They are heartless. They cut our hours so none of us can receive benefits anymore. Some have worked here 20 years and are getting their benefits ripped away from their families. This company made PART TIMERS work 40+ hours in the summer time with no leeway. We were absolutely worked to the bone. Sometimes they made us work twice in one day and framed the first shift as training so they got away with it. Multiple employees went on medical leave. Now in the winter time we are getting 6 HOURS a week. WE ARE BEING TREATED AWFUL! Constantly being watched by management who wont even introduce themselves to us. The higher ups don't care about us at all. The atmosphere is TOXIC from the higher ups constantly criticizing the wrong people. The workers are doing as their told and are scared to lose their families livelihood yet all the company wants is US, THE WORKERS to somehow fix their business? The reputation has been ruined by the company themselves. Not the bartenders & servers.
Pros
Nothing anymore.
Cons
Managers are rude and impersonal, no hours, no reason to stay.
Server at Gateway Casino London Ontario
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 February 2019
I would never recommend working here. The turnover is absolutely ridiculous. Expect to work 6 days a week consecutively on a regular basis because this department cannot keep staff. Staff are constantly and consistently undervalued and underappreciated. The managment is a complete joke and I have attended several food and beverage meetings where the staff are talked to in a very negative manner. Instead of addressing things appropriately and praising the staff for their hard work the food and beverage manager discussed all the negative things that she heard. Honestly being told " hey you are doing great job" goes a long way but the manager of that department cannot even do that. Staff members that have been working at this casino for more than 10 years have left because the environment has become so horrible. Gateway really needs to look at why they are losing staff in this department at such an alarming rate. I am happy that I was able to find a way better job my home and family life was suffering because I could never get any time off. My vacation days were constantly denied because of understaffing. There is no work/life balance. Its really awful when a place of employment drives out great employees all because they do not know how to manage a department. Teamwork is a thing and treating your employees like they are all disposable will get you no where. I know many people that have literally had a supervisor walk them out half way into their shift because they were treated so poorly that quitting their job here was way better than getting paycheque. If you are thinking  more... about applying to any jobs at gateway i would think again... because this job with leave you feeling exhausted and miserable and youll more than likely be treated very poorly. I am greatful that I did have some great coworkers to get me through the bad days but that even wasnt enough to keep me working at such a bad establishment. Best of luck to anyone that works there... you'll definitely need it. Avoid working here at all cost.....  less
Pros
Coworkers help you survive your work shift
Cons
Poor management, toxic work environment, under staffing, bullying
6 Month Contract Position
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2019
Working at Gateway was a fun and exciting time. It was only for a 6 month contract, but it was a good 6 months. Gateway treats employees with equality.
Poor Managment and planning
Cage and Coin Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON20 January 2019
The job itself is great, and most coworkers are amazing! Day to day is pretty easy count the money and make sure you balance at the end of the night, however we are continously under staffed which means we are being over worked and have little to no time off. They are NOT flexible with hours, like they claim. All processes are EXTREMELY slow here, if they say you'll hear from them within a week expect it to be more like 2-3 weeks. Also the system we run on continously crashes and our machines are down every other day with no one except supervisors to "fix" them. Gateway does not care about your mental health or you as a person, and they treat you as though you are VERY disposable. BUT they pay you decently.
Pros
Pay, coworkers
Cons
NO time off and not flexible
Fun work place with co-operative co workers
Cage Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 January 2019
I love working at Gateway casinos due to its fun environment. I have been working here since I came to Canada. I started as cashier and now I am Cage supervisor. My lovely co-workers are the reason that I learned so much there. I am always excited to go there on my Mondays. :)
Pros
free parking
Cons
graveyard shifts
Many coworkers regret taking a job here and want to quit
Head office employee (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC1 January 2019
- I have never experienced such a high turnover in an office before joining Gateway

- Low salaries. Many people are severely underpaid. Too many good employees already left and will be leaving due to this issue

- Terrible and very disorganized management. It seems they run the
company with no plan in mind. No communication.

- HR is a joke - no leadership at all

- Rampant office politics

- No promotions unless you are with the "right manager" (regardless of your skills and readiness for promotion). Many good employees left and will be leaving for this

- We no longer have sufficient work space and management doesn't care about it. Shouldn't we move to a bigger space?! why are we keep hiring people if we clearly don't have enough space to put them?
Pros
You tell me!
Cons
Too many to list
Fast paced, well-managed, fun place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 December 2018
Life is never boring at Gateway - change is definitely a constant!

Management is professional and easy to approach and amazing coworkers make it a pleasure to come to work!
Pros
Opportunities to learn/advance
Toxic environment
Front Line Staff (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON14 December 2018
Once was a good company to work for. But, since gateway took over, many job cuts, bad customer service, and a lot of bad feelings. A lot of movement within due to staff shortages.
Pros
Wages, unionized
Cons
No job security unless higher seniority. Understaffed.
being a bingo caller
BINGO CALLER (Former Employee) –  Newton, BC6 December 2018
great to see all the regular customers each day. Staff was great as most had worked together for many years. we were all like family. we all worked as a team and helped out each other when needed. the work place was a joy to come to each day.
Pros
free coffee
I don't recommend it
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ontario3 December 2018
One of the locations, & the management/supervision is absolutely terrible. Lack of hiring enough bodies for all departments for the amount of productivity they need to meet on a daily basis. Lack of in-house training.

Typical day at work usually consists of overworked employees, very low motivation. The culture of the company is normally like anywhere else, you have both types of employees, the ones whom go to work just to work, & others whom go to work to make other peoples day stressful & exhausting.

The hardest part of the job especially listed above is keeping a smile on your face while others tell you how to do your job that haven't been in your position. Keep an open mind about techniques from others who have though.

The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with those who that build a trust with you creating a bond to make sure a job gets done efficiently.
Pros
Salary
Terrible
Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 November 2018
Went on strike for 5 months. Company does not care for staff or patrons. Pay was below min wage, Management were bullies, they were not consistent, or willing to accommodate people for personal appts. There are staff that have areas to cry in while on shift.
Run.
prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2018
If you value your mental health, do not work here.

Union did nothing other than protect useless staff.

My typical day consisted of bullying, harassment, and intimidation from management.

This place needs a complete management clean out from the top down. Start from scratch.
Pros
Cons
everything
Cash Cage Manager
Cage Manager (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC9 November 2018
Position Duties: Daily audit of cash received, reconciliation of all contents in vault, possession and responsibility of all on-site casino assets, as well as the supervision and co-ordination of all departmental staff.
Down hill quickly
Slot Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 November 2018
There were a lot of promises when Gateway took over from OLG in Ontario. After the first year things went downhill fast. Front line and mid level management are completely disengaged.
Communication is terrible.
There is no planning, just reacting to changes.
Almost all departments are under staffed.
Hiring process takes an incredibly long time.
Small raises if you're lucky. 5% in over 5 years.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Bad hours, little to no room for advancement
No Support
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2018
No support for staff or management. The GM is more concerned about getting accolades and spending time at other casinos - showing up reeking of alcohol in the middle of the afternoon. If you are good with sucking up to people this is a great place to work. The company didn't do their research when developing this property - no parking for guests and staff, public transit is unreliable and the union only supports staff members who are terrible in every aspect of their job.
Cons
No parking
Don’t regret working here
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2018
Working here has taught me patience. Where else can you work 45 min and get a 15 min break ever hour. Pit bosses are quite helpful & the discounts and the restaurants help.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
If tables are quiet it gets boring
Worked here
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Ssm16 October 2018
If you want to bend over and take it they will give it. But make no mistake it wont matter how hard you work, how pleasent you are, how great you are at your job, you sre disposable. You donot count for anything. You are better of at Walmart! This place ranks zero zero minus zero!!! Dont do it stay away.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Tomany cons
Employees are like family, but its killing its employees due to understaffing.
Employee (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 October 2018
The staff are the main and best reason to stay. Everyone keeps everyone else sane. The supervisors are quite kind, but the place has a dreadfully small amount of staff for how popular the casino is.

This forces current employees to work past their limits every night, working 2 person jobs with only 1 employee.

No weekends off due to constant weekend events taking place.

They seem to be very picky about hiring new staff, and due to the before-mentioned popularity of the casino, newcomers are generally quick to leave due to the lack of time from veterans to teach.

If they just kept a good amount of staff to reduce the amount of overworking thats being done, most of the problems would be alleviated to some extent.
Pros
Free drinks, Staff relations are among the best
Cons
Tedious hours, scheduling issues, consistently understaffed
just a job
Slot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON14 October 2018
You are just a number or as someone put it, just a body on the floor. no weekends off all summer and looks like its not happening this fall either. hard to go into a place that makes you feel like a nobody.
Pros
its a job
Cons
its a horrible place to have work life balance
3 month review at Starlight
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC10 October 2018
-Terrible manager, uncommunicative
-If you want to work weekends graveyards without getting any days off, jobs for you
-Might get bumped in seniority list because someone can come back and have more hours worked within the company
-Manager needs over 2 years advance notice for days off request
-5 minute interview, will land the job

-Coworkers are good people
-Jobs easy
-Long hours
-Decent Wage
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
Terrible Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.