Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd. Employee Reviews

Toxic environment
Front Line Staff (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON14 December 2018
Once was a good company to work for. But, since gateway took over, many job cuts, bad customer service, and a lot of bad feelings. A lot of movement within due to staff shortages.
Pros
Wages, unionized
Cons
No job security unless higher seniority. Understaffed.
being a bingo caller
BINGO CALLER (Former Employee) –  Newton, BC6 December 2018
great to see all the regular customers each day. Staff was great as most had worked together for many years. we were all like family. we all worked as a team and helped out each other when needed. the work place was a joy to come to each day.
Pros
free coffee
I don't recommend it
Employee (Current Employee) –  Ontario3 December 2018
One of the locations, & the management/supervision is absolutely terrible. Lack of hiring enough bodies for all departments for the amount of productivity they need to meet on a daily basis. Lack of in-house training.

Typical day at work usually consists of overworked employees, very low motivation. The culture of the company is normally like anywhere else, you have both types of employees, the ones whom go to work just to work, & others whom go to work to make other peoples day stressful & exhausting.

The hardest part of the job especially listed above is keeping a smile on your face while others tell you how to do your job that haven't been in your position. Keep an open mind about techniques from others who have though.

The most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with those who that build a trust with you creating a bond to make sure a job gets done efficiently.
Pros
Salary
Terrible
Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 November 2018
Went on strike for 5 months. Company does not care for staff or patrons. Pay was below min wage, Management were bullies, they were not consistent, or willing to accommodate people for personal appts. There are staff that have areas to cry in while on shift.
Run.
prefer not to disclose (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 November 2018
If you value your mental health, do not work here.

Union did nothing other than protect useless staff.

My typical day consisted of bullying, harassment, and intimidation from management.

This place needs a complete management clean out from the top down. Start from scratch.
Pros
Cons
everything
Down hill quickly
Slot Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON5 November 2018
There were a lot of promises when Gateway took over from OLG in Ontario. After the first year things went downhill fast. Front line and mid level management are completely disengaged.
Communication is terrible.
There is no planning, just reacting to changes.
Almost all departments are under staffed.
Hiring process takes an incredibly long time.
Small raises if you're lucky. 5% in over 5 years.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
Bad hours, little to no room for advancement
No Support
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 November 2018
No support for staff or management. The GM is more concerned about getting accolades and spending time at other casinos - showing up reeking of alcohol in the middle of the afternoon. If you are good with sucking up to people this is a great place to work. The company didn't do their research when developing this property - no parking for guests and staff, public transit is unreliable and the union only supports staff members who are terrible in every aspect of their job.
Cons
No parking
Don’t regret working here
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2018
Working here has taught me patience. Where else can you work 45 min and get a 15 min break ever hour. Pit bosses are quite helpful & the discounts and the restaurants help.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
If tables are quiet it gets boring
Worked here
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Ssm16 October 2018
If you want to bend over and take it they will give it. But make no mistake it wont matter how hard you work, how pleasent you are, how great you are at your job, you sre disposable. You donot count for anything. You are better of at Walmart! This place ranks zero zero minus zero!!! Dont do it stay away.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Tomany cons
Employees are like family, but its killing its employees due to understaffing.
Employee (Current Employee) –  London, ON16 October 2018
The staff are the main and best reason to stay. Everyone keeps everyone else sane. The supervisors are quite kind, but the place has a dreadfully small amount of staff for how popular the casino is.

This forces current employees to work past their limits every night, working 2 person jobs with only 1 employee.

No weekends off due to constant weekend events taking place.

They seem to be very picky about hiring new staff, and due to the before-mentioned popularity of the casino, newcomers are generally quick to leave due to the lack of time from veterans to teach.

If they just kept a good amount of staff to reduce the amount of overworking thats being done, most of the problems would be alleviated to some extent.
Pros
Free drinks, Staff relations are among the best
Cons
Tedious hours, scheduling issues, consistently understaffed

Want to know more about Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.?

Ask a question
just a job
Slot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Hanover, ON14 October 2018
You are just a number or as someone put it, just a body on the floor. no weekends off all summer and looks like its not happening this fall either. hard to go into a place that makes you feel like a nobody.
Pros
its a job
Cons
its a horrible place to have work life balance
3 month review at Starlight
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC10 October 2018
-Terrible manager, uncommunicative
-If you want to work weekends graveyards without getting any days off, jobs for you
-Might get bumped in seniority list because someone can come back and have more hours worked within the company
-Manager needs over 2 years advance notice for days off request
-5 minute interview, will land the job

-Coworkers are good people
-Jobs easy
-Long hours
-Decent Wage
Pros
Good Coworkers
Cons
Terrible Manager
A middle of the road job to gain experience for something else. Comfortable place to be but little mobility if you are looking to advance.
Gaming Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2018
It is a job. Better than most security work but if you are experienced and good you can find better positions and better pay. Much of the shift is occupied by maintaining access at a door and walking the floor.
Management is terrible
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2018
Supervisors and management are rude, not approachable, and lack basic interpersonal skills. With terrible management and supervisors comes a very harsh work environment. Benefits and pay are average.
Pros
no pros I can think of
Cons
management/ supervisors
NOT that bad
Line Cook - Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 September 2018
If you can deal with a lot of bs in F&B you can make it anywhere at the casino. Was a struggle a couple of times. mostly the manager from the F&B department is a complete idiot. Most people complain about working there but continue to work there.
Pros
benefits and pension full time
Cons
Bosses don't care about you at all.
Driving the place into the ground
Employee (Current Employee) –  London, ON24 September 2018
Typically you have your boss breathe down your neck and tell you to go faster and do more with less staff. Increased work load, impossible deadlines, breaks and lunches ignored.
Regularly short staffed and it shows in the customer comments.
Culture is sad. People come to work expecting the next round of layoffs.
Pros
Free soft drinks in the lunch room.
Cons
Always short staffed. Cant schedule properly with the staff they have. Impossible work loads.
Terrible management
Title - Gaming Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 September 2018
Management doesn't care about you at all. Complaints went unheard, hard work is not rewarded . If your not kissing butt you are not going anywhere.

The security compliance manger was arrogant and HR was more useless than t*ts on a bull.

Couldn't pay me a years salary to go back.

Only + was the benefits package and pay was decent.The majority of my co-workers were solid and hard working.
Excellent social life at work
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC13 September 2018
Working as a table games dealer at Lake City Casino was more than just a career. It was a hobby. I went to work every day to hang out with the regular players who also became my friends. I became friends with any personality type who sat down at my tables. Every day at work was fun.
Constantly solving math problems in my head at work kept my mentality fit and strong, I am now able to learn programming and computer science.
Unfortunately the management had a few members who made work difficult for many employees at my work place. After I left this job, the company went on strike which re-enforced that I was not the only one who was struggling with the management and salaries.
The CEO was great, and the GM was also very awesome. No problems there.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Co-workers were great but management stole money from me.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 September 2018
The other server's and bartenders were great but management was either creepy and sexually harassing, or forced you into tipping them even though they we'rent allowed as per Union rules. They would guilt you into giving them money after they came behind the bar and served customers for you for absolutely no need. Always counting my tips and leaving tips they made seperate then at shift end wanting more than they made. I literally would give my manager more money then i got to take home. Because it's Union and I was the lowest I had to do other people's jobs as well. The bar was filthy every day I opened and I documented everything for my Union rep but recieved no response.
great place to grow
Surveillance Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2018
Work was good, the customers make or break your day :D
The social commitees work on improving your day to day grind, implementing different events to keep morale strong
Pros
freindly
Cons
open all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd.. Our community is ready to answer.